BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Agree with this, except for the million miles away part (although he seems to be regressing in his latest loan for sure). In some of his cameos at this level I've felt he is still a threat. But it's difficult when you're in and out of the side all the time and can't find your rhythm, plus it takes its toll mentally. Look how much Brereton struggled by only being played fleetingly off the bench a lot, and quite blatantly struggling with low confidence, yet look at him now when he's bursting with it.

I'd agree Harry doesn't seem to have that mental fortitude that makes players go all the way to the top no matter what setbacks they have, but I think a lot of comments on here about him are harsh. There is a lot of assumption that it's down to poor professionalism, but no apparent consideration that he could be struggling with mental health bringing down his motivation. Either for external, personal reasons, or because being jerked around by Mowbray has rocked his confidence (and I don't care what anyone says, he really has been...loaned, barely played, signed permanently and not played, loaned out, signed an extension and immediately sent off on loan for the duration of that extension...do you want the lad or not Tony? My confidence and assessment of my abilities and career prospects would be all over the place in his shoes). Brereton doesn't really have that fortitude either, he just finally caught some breaks and his newfound confidence has propelled him into the spotlight.

I do agree he isn't likely to make it at our club anymore, and it's a real shame. A free or nominal fee with a large sell on in January would probably be best for all concerned. I won't be surprised if he ends up on a hot streak in the Championship in 2 or 3 years time though - but nor will I be surprised if he sinks down to League Two or retires in that time. He's a mercurial talent and at this point it's all down to Harry to pull himself out of his rut and make the best of the hand he's got. A permanent move to a new club who hopefully value him is probably the best way to ignite that. I'd say Shrewsbury is probably best as he was on fire for them.

I do think its time to move on as its obviously not going to work here. 

However, put yourself into the mind of Chapman for his previous loan spell.  Sent out and done excellent at Shrewsbury, thought he might have a chance here when he returns, is given another year extension and that compounds that view. He is ready to make the most of it this time, but then gets a few fleeting appearences and is whacked out on loan again. I think his performances at Burton seems like he has had the stuffing knocked out of him again. 

He has had this sort of thing his whole time here, so I do think you have to look at both sides.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still nothing from Rovers or Burton Albion on Chapman, whose loan deal is meant to expire about now. My guess is that Burton are looking for a loan extension and Rovers will likely agree once they sort out their incoming players. He scored a goal in the last game and maybe Burton are hoping he might find some form.

There's a chance that Rovers might get some compensation for him when he leaves for free in June or so - though, my uneducated guess is that it'll be very limited given that he's barely contributed of late. Chapman must go down as a bad signing by Mowbray. Rovers paid an undisclosed sum for him from Boro and, despite being out of the picture, was given a one year extension (possibly, to try to salvage some compensation money), gave him a taste of first team football and then sent him packing to Burton.

Mowbray repeatedly questions Chapman's attitude and yet, the player has been on Rovers books for some four years, including the earlier loan spell. 

Though Mowbray has made some good signings that are belatedly showing some consistent form, it shouldn't be forgotten that he has thrown money away. How much, we don't exactly know as most transfers are undisclosed and Premier League loan fees aren't reported, but Stergiakis, Davenport, Chapman, Bell are some of the recent transfer signings that went down the drain. In Stergiakis' case, I presume he is heading out as there's been no mention of him from the club for months.

Chapman's struggled at Burton, after a great spell in League One with Shrewsbury. Burton fans do say he doesn't work hard enough and isn't consistent. Perhaps, Mowbray is right about his attitude. However, I would rather see Chapman on the right wing than Gallagher, which is what Rovers had for a lot of last season.

Edit: Chapman is 24 years old, as of 5th November 2021, so it would seem that Rovers won't be entitled to any compensation come June 2022, or so. Perhaps, I was trying to credit the club with too much logic with their decision to extend his Rovers career by one year last summer.

Edit x 2: Chapman back in training at Rovers and likely to see out his contract here: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19831103.harry-chapman-back-blackburn-rovers-loan-spell-ends/

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I could understand us taking him on loan in the first place but signing him after the injuries he had was foolish. Having said that he did have a very noisy fan club at the time.

And keeping him on after he'd flopped with the reward of a contract extension.

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

And keeping him on after he'd flopped with the reward of a contract extension.

What I couldn't understand was giving Chapman a contract extension, but then loaning him out. I don't see how that was a benefit to the Rovers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rigger said:

What I couldn't understand was giving Chapman a contract extension, but then loaning him out. I don't see how that was a benefit to the Rovers.

Someone mentioned trying to get a fee or compen for him or something ?

Can't see anyone buying him now it was all a bit cosy this one considering he's looked a bit of a lost cause since he first signed permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

With the new signing, Markanday, injured,  Dolan recovering from injury and possibly, not ready, and Brereton, I think, going to be away on Chile duty, if Chapman is fit, I think he should be considered for our bench and given a chance to make an impact. He or Butterworth should definitely be ahead of Gallagher on the right wing.

Otherwise, Mowbray owes the fans a public explanation as to why he (or the club) gave the player a one year extension and recalled him to the bench at the start of the year.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

The lads had chances but never grasps it, one way or the other. I'd love to hear that he'd returned a new man and trained well to then come off the bench and tear his old club apart with a 30min cameo that secures all 3 points which goes on to become his making.

He has ability but as has been said many times, something is missing and it will probably see him running out in League 1 next season followed by a gradual slide down the pyramid.

If attitude and work rate are the issue then could be an option from the bench for 10-15 mins if we're chasing a game. On his day can produce a bit of magic that could get us a vital point but obviously don't want to be relying on him for longer if he's not doing his bit off the ball. 

• Backroom

Feels like last chance saloon if he does get a chance, the fact that he couldn’t get a place in the Burton team doesn’t bode well.

He has to smash it if given a chance now 

He should be on his bike he's another done well out of this club and done bugger all back since he signed. Iv'e stuck up for him in the past because i like proper wingers and this squad needs one.

He isn't the answer though and i agree his wages would be better spent elsewhere in the current climate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Giant said:

If Chapman could get his head sorted and graft, he is the best winger on our books. I still live in hope that he will come good in a Blackburn Rovers shirt. 

tbf to chapman,when he was playing at the start of the season he did ok,when he came on at forest he had their full back well toasted,basically mowbray does`nt trust him,thus,he`ll never be a regular,the lad needs to get away to restart his career,mowbray will never make him a regular

8 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I used to sit next to a bloke - God rest his soul - for a few seasons in the JW, a long time Roverite, who was very good mates with Dougie.

'Magic in his boots', was his description of Chapman when he first joined up.

A total waste of talent as it's transpired.

Not been the same player since the injuries.