BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, islander200 said:

He is on loan so yes decent.Quality player but at end of day only currently with us till January. 

That let article this morning is just setting us up for more loan signings.Mowbray said the same thing last season about being able to bring in the loan players on permanent deals yet the only one who did was Downing, a squad centre back 

I can understand Chelsea point that they want him playing regular. So I can see why it a short term loan. 

We did have option on Antonsson to buy. 

I can see signing Armstrong permanent but it will be very last minute. But another couple of loan very possible reading the article. Thats not my way I would like it. Ideally 4 permanent signings and 2 very good loans

7 hours ago, 47er said:

EH? Venkys control is achieved by the size of the budget, which they alone determine. If they upped it TM could get his targets.

EH? So you trust Mowbray, but not what he says publicly. 

Mowbray has been given a budget he seems happy with:

"The Owners understand that, to that point that I think the budget we've been given is going to be substantial enough to add some quality players and not break wage structure"

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/tony-mowbray-qa-part-two/

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't know anything about Palmer but a mate's son who knows a lot more about other club's players texted me to say "Great player but not in the position we need".

If he can do a job In the wide positions he'll do though albeit it could be a very temporary fix.

That's the way I see it also. His best position would appear to be the one Dack plays in but slightly deeper. However I was once told " a good player can play anywhere". So he should be able to play out wide. At least if Dack has a reoccurrence of last season's hamstring trouble we have a good replacement.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No problem with loan and agree purchase fee. Big problem with just loans. The Chelsea lad sounds good but could be gone by Christmas.  Not sure that's much use to us going forward.

Don't buy into the 'this team deserve the chance' mantra either.... didn't work with the Premier winning side the following year.   We had the chance to pick up some fantastic players, didn't and that was the start of our demise at the top. 

You have to continually strengthen. 

Our first 11 showed last night that they are a good unit..but  we had nobody on the bench who could change a game or replace Graham/Dack/Mulgrew.  I suppose Conway would have come on for Bennett or Samuel...

Looks like Nixon could be right with his just loans prediction....

Doom merchant signing off.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pomster said:

I think the Armstrong and Chapman signings are dead in the water now

If that turns out to be the case I wouldn't be too bent out of shape. I'd like to be completely sure of Chapman's fitness before signing him on a permanent deal and that's not going to happen now. Armstrong is a good player but I'm not sure he's exactly what we want. I would have thought a more conventional central striker along the lines of Graham is what we need.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If that turns out to be the case I wouldn't be too bent out of shape. I'd like to be completely sure of Chapman's fitness before signing him on a permanent deal and that's not going to happen now. Armstrong is a good player but I'm not sure he's exactly what we want. I would have thought a more conventional central striker along the lines of Graham is what we need.

I'd have taken Chapman over Armstrong. As a permanent.  I get the injury risk, but think he is a better player than Armstrong - in a position we are chronically short in.  Also meets the 'nice lad, good attitude' criteria and seemed to bond well with the team.

• Like 1

Better to wait to try and make Armstrong, Chapman and Bauer happen within our budget, rather than sign inferior players for the sake of it. 

Great performance last night. Dack is sensational. Samuel much improved and Lenihan looking like he has a huge season in him. They improvement in fitness, conditioning and physicality compared to when Mowbray inherited the team is a real stand out. You can see by looking at the players physiques that they are in serious shape. If you can tell with your eyes that is some improvement. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'd have taken Chapman over Armstrong. As a permanent.  I get the injury risk, but think he is a better player than Armstrong - in a position we are chronically short in.  Also meets the 'nice lad, good attitude' criteria and seemed to bond well with the team.

Well wingers like Chapman are pretty rare now and they can be game changers. It's just that he has a history of similar injuries at previous clubs as well as at Rovers. His style of play, with explosive bursts of pace, leads me to think that he'll always be troubled by similar injuries. If he modifies his game to minimise those sorts of injuries he won't be as effective.

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, roverandout said:

And this is the sort of player people are now wetting themselves over..just shows how far rovers have fallen

I don't think anyone has gotten too excited to be fair. Everyone knows what has happened over the last few years.

It's been a while since a 'shows how far we've fallen' post though, so fair play for bringing that one back.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you need a nappy? 

I don't think anyone else wet themselves, even though this guy is a good signing 

Oh come now BDS, we are veritably swimming in an ocean of piss. Fortunately I brought swimming shorts rather than a nappy. You can always let yourself leak in the sea in those anyway, nobody notices. Especially in a sea made of other grown men's 6-month-loan-of-a-kid urine.

Or ya know, maybe people are just fairly pleased we are borrowing a very highly rated youngster in a key area of the pitch, but expressing their reservations about the length of deal and the need for permanent additions.

I can't quite tell which is reality.

• Like 1

From reading Mowbray's comments our starting line up v Ipswich will more or less be what it was last night.

With Williams seemingly a Mowbray favourite then id expect him to come in for Bell.Id rather we went with Bell,one thing we definitely lack is a bit of pace and Bell does give us that.

Palmer is a good signing but I do think we need to bringing in one genuine winger with pace,someone who will look to hug the touchline and stretch teams.

Pace hurts teams and we don't have a lot of it in our side,we need a Chapman or an Armstrong a player who will prevent teams from playing a high line.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Oh come now BDS, we are veritably swimming in an ocean of piss. Fortunately I brought swimming shorts rather than a nappy. You can always let yourself leak in the sea in those anyway, nobody notices. Especially in a sea made of other grown men's 6-month-loan-of-a-kid urine.

Or ya know, maybe people are just fairly pleased we are borrowing a very highly rated youngster in a key area of the pitch, but expressing their reservations about the length of deal and the need for permanent additions.

I can't quite tell which is reality.

I know something. I just want quality. Kasey Palmer is exactly that. He’s MUCH better than Chapman, Armstrong, Wildschut, Edwards or any others that have been linked and may or may not have gone anywhere else...so whether he plays 20 or 200 games for us he’s an improvement on what we have. 

I’m happy with that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I know something. I just want quality. Kasey Palmer is exactly that. He’s MUCH better than Chapman, Armstrong, Wildschut, Edwards or any others that have been linked and may or may not have gone anywhere else...so whether he plays 20 or 200 games for us he’s an improvement on what we have. 

I’m happy with that. 

To be fair, he could walk in and stand out immediately or it may take him 10-15 games to 'bed in' to the style of play etc - in which case he's of little value on a short term basis.  Potentially the type of loan signing that is the 'icing on the cake'...  IF we have signed some attacking players permanently.

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m happy with that. 

Good he’s here till Xmas. If he does well I’d imagine we will extend if not a wage less at Xmas. I imagine Chelsea insisted on this to ensure he gets game time.

2 hours ago, briansol said:

EH? So you trust Mowbray, but not what he says publicly. 

Mowbray has been given a budget he seems happy with:

"The Owners understand that, to that point that I think the budget we've been given is going to be substantial enough to add some quality players and not break wage structure"

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/tony-mowbray-qa-part-two/

I'm not an idiot or a sheep. I don't believe very word that comes out of his mouth. I haven't lost my critical faculties.

If his budget is adequate where are the targets he identified before last season's end? He's having to wing it with loans isn't he?

I've said all this and more and I'm sick of repeating it so stay sycophantic and put me on ignore.

• Like 2

City back on Sunday so maybe  Palmer and the guy we are chasing from City will be announced together. 

I'm hoping for permanent signings but everything Mowbray has said lately suggests it will be loans.

Be nice if we could get a marquee signing in a bit of cash spent on a striker 

• Like 3