BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Dack has proved an excellent signing so far - full credit to Mowbray.

Until the last couple of games or so, Armstrong has been given some stick on this MB - let's see if he maintains his promise/form.  Rodwell - think jury still out on him.  Rothwell - I like the lad, a bit of spark but so far, failed to nail down a starting place.  Reed, a good player - only wish he WAS our player instead of a loanee.

Unless I've missed something, we don't seriously scout Europe.  Yep, there are duds there. we know by experience.  Conversely, if you have an effective scouting set-up and the appropriate footballing people making the decisions, then there are bargains to be had as evidenced by Pukki and Maupay.  Seemingly, we are disregarding a huge market and for a club with supposedly PL ambitions, that's a flawed approach in my book.

Think Mowbray has confirmed this somewhere recently. About only looking for targets domestically.

Reality is if we don't get promoted we will have to sell players. Whether that is to meet FFP requirements, to offset some losses, to recoup some for the owners, because our best players attract interest from higher divisions or just because our best players grow tired of plodding along in the Championship and want to move on. The ONLY way to ensure we are protected against departures is by getting up.

These owners have very recent form for stripping the club bare after 3 seasons of missing out on promotion, following which we sold off just about everyone that could command a half decent transfer fee. So I'm sorry whilst I'd love to buy into this 'all the time in the world' theory where we can steadily and sensibly build over 2,3,4,5 years or whatever it is I'm I little bit doubtful that is going to be so straightforward, especially with these owners in place.

That doesn't mean I'm advocating going for broke this season or that I'm against a multi-season development, just that if it doesn't work out as 'planned' the consequences of failure are likely to be quite significant if the post-Bowyer era is anything to go by.

It may well be that things are more sustainable now than they were then, with a more manageable wage structure etc. but that really doesn't help much if the owners get a taste for sales again and start stripping the squad bare.

In this hypothetical 2,3,4 season built it neglects the fact that by the end of it we'll almost certainly be without Graham, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Dack, Reed and Travis all of whom will either be retiring or elsewhere should we not get promoted within that period.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You miss the point.

Other clubs find them!!!

Yep Dack is Mowbray's diamond signing and full credit.  Armstrong has done better over last game or two - let's see if he maintains it.

Then there's the likes of Brereton, Hart, Galdwin etc

Hang on, so other clubs never sign duds?

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Dack has proved an excellent signing so far - full credit to Mowbray.

Until the last couple of games or so, Armstrong has been given some stick on this MB - let's see if he maintains his promise/form.  Rodwell - think jury still out on him.  Rothwell - I like the lad, a bit of spark but so far, failed to nail down a starting place.  Reed, a good player - only wish he WAS our player instead of a loanee.

Unless I've missed something, we don't seriously scout Europe.  Yep, there are duds there. we know by experience.  Conversely, if you have an effective scouting set-up and the appropriate footballing people making the decisions, then there are bargains to be had as evidenced by Pukki and Maupay.  Seemingly, we are disregarding a huge market and for a club with supposedly PL ambitions, that's a flawed approach in my book.

Haven’t we just signed a virtually unheard of Gibraltan? 

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

He came through British academies, so I'm sure he will have been on everyone's radar domestically. 

Mowbray hasn't been perfect in the transfer market and we could maybe do with finding some more 'original' targets, but overall he's been good and I don't think anyone could accuse of us simply mindlessly spending money. Most of our signings have been relatively inexpensive and for the most part, they've been successful. Yes, we can judge Armstrong a bit harshly on his early season form, but then his form last season and the part that he played in getting us promoted also has to be factored in (even if he was on 'only' on loan). 

The total amount spent on our squad is relatively small, even by Championship standards, so Mowbray certainly deserves a little bit of trust from the supporters. All I would like for him to receive is a bit of encouragement to take a risk or two right now that might see us make the playoffs. We have a chance, not a huge one, but a chance. That is worth rolling the dice on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Plus a 21 year old Irish lad who seems to be holding his own so far on loan in the Scottish Premiership.

Before that we picked up a young striker called Joe Nuttall who had been released from Aberdeen and seems to have a decent future ahead of him. And before him there was a young lad by the name of Lewis Travis who we picked up from Liverpool's academy (maybe you've heard of him?)

But, no, of course it's right to say that our recruitment is flawed and we don't ever pick up bargains or potential stars of the future. We only ever pay over the odds for flops don't you know??

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He came through British academies, so I'm sure he will have been on everyone's radar domestically. 

Mowbray hasn't been perfect in the transfer market and we could maybe do with finding some more 'original' targets, but overall he's been good and I don't think anyone could accuse of us simply mindlessly spending money. Most of our signings have been relatively inexpensive and for the most part, they've been successful. Yes, we can judge Armstrong a bit harshly on his early season form, but then his form last season and the part that he played in getting us promoted also has to be factored in (even if he was on 'only' on loan). 

The total amount spent on our squad is relatively small, even by Championship standards, so Mowbray certainly deserves a little bit of trust from the supporters. All I would like for him to receive is a bit of encouragement to take a risk or two right now that might see us make the playoffs. We have a chance, not a huge one, but a chance. That is worth rolling the dice on. 

English academies 

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

Paranoid delusions are exactly how I’d describe many assertions about our clubs dealings over the years. It seems that not believing them all makes me a “Rao” apologist.

As for the actual strategy you’re suggesting, fair enough if you want an instant attempt, but can I remind you that this has been tried before, by us and others. It’s the scenario that comes if we aren’t promoted that you’re ignoring here - if we are selling players like we did prior to relegation in 12 months to “avoid ffp” or “curtail costs” then I’d be mortified. 

Develop a squad that’s always improving, sensibly investing the money we can in more potential future stars for the fringes of the squad and grade 1 academy, improve and develop them, and when the big money bids come for players (remember what happens to transfer fees when opposition know you need to cut back) it will be enough to replace with some quality. (w/o more borrowed owners cash - which is exactly the financial problem, owing THEM!)

On the original post, maybe stick to taking the mick out of Balaji and not the fans.

If you’re going to slag fans off, maybe stick to those who cba watching the team. Who are these venky apologists anyway? 

Come on @MCMC1875 how does supporting my club make me apologise for owners that I clearly despise? Pointless bland insult.

Careful now, you’ve not jumped to the immediate negative conclusion, bland banal insults await.

People who absolve Venky’s of any accountability for our current predicament.

People who claim they are good owners and we are lucky to have them.

People who go from “nice one mate, I voted for you” to “You’ve done more damage to this club than they have” in the space of 18 months.

People who dismiss any negative reports/discussions/opinions about Venky’s without offering any argument.

I could go on and on...

I’m not too bothered about fans who “can’t be arsed”... they generally don’t feature on my radar. Anyone who bothers posting on here clearly can be arsed, they may not attend for a variety of reasons, none of which I feel are more worthy of some mild piss taking (at best taken out of context, possibly twisted by you) than the above.

Of course splashing 10/15 million quid on Assombalonga won’t gaurentee promotion, but I think it would drastically increase the chance. Yes there are obviously loads of instances where such an approach has failed, but there are cases where it has worked a treat.

If we aren’t promoted, we are fractionally more indebted to them than we already are. I’m firmly of the opinion we are only ever on the precipice of a disaster as long as they remain in charge. If they are willing to buy a player to significantly improve our first 11, I’d jump at it.

Problem with the model you have outlined above is we are going to have to apply it perfectly for about 50 years! 

On the whole indebted to them issue... it really depends how you look at it. Some people will look at it as we owe nothing to them, as it is in the form of share capital. Whole other massive discussion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

By the way - can you imagine the uproar on here if the striker we brought in in this window was some unheard of lad from the non-leagues??

Like Matt Derbyshire and Jamie Vardy you mean?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Norwich signed Pukki on a free.

Brentford signed Maupay for about £1.5million

Sheff U signed Adams from non league for not much more than a box of crisps and then Brum paid about £2million for him

Rovers signed Brereton for £7million+ !?!?!?

I think the talent and potential is out there but clearly, in my opinion, Rovers' recruitment strategy / policy / execution is seriously flawed.

You said instead of Gallagher not Brereton. But again cannot give a proper answer. So any answer to the Original question? Who would ypu have potential sign this window instead of Gallagher which is likely to loan with view permanent signing in summer? 

Yes Che Adams would have been good signing in the summer. Maybe we tried but Birmingham didnt to sell..

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You said instead of Gallagher not Brereton. But again cannot give a proper answer. So any answer to the Original question? Who would ypu have potential sign this window instead of Gallagher which is likely to loan with view permanent signing in summer? 

Yes Che Adams would have been good signing in the summer. Maybe we tried but Birmingham didnt to sell..

If your looking at now, can you say there's a massive amount of difference between John Marques at Doncaster and Sam Gallagher at Southampton?

Ones going to cost you 1-2 million. The others around 7 million. I honestly don't think there's a massive difference especially with Gallagher having something like 15 goals in 2 seasons at championship level. 

Obviously he's got more potential growth though.

13 minutes ago, Silas said:

Meanwhile, on another clubs messageboard:

"But Blackburn got BD for 750k, Rodwell on a free, Armstrong for about a million, and DG for a reasonable price.

And they're now 8th in the league. We're spending tens of millions on players and more on wages but we're in the bottom half. We need to take a leaf out of their book"

Conclusion = football fans are whiny gits who think the grass is always greener. 

Which club was that?

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can only see what the camera lets you see. What players are doing off the ball and out of the camera's eye is very important. You should only scout players in the flesh and more than once.  A pal of mine was a scout for 'City, he used to scout only forwards and he always watched them away from home.

As I said in the post you quoted, there's only a bit of off the ball you miss as the camera keeps near the action. Most fans rather than scouts are going to be watching the action and who is in position around the action. We obviously don't agree, but I maintain the missed movement is fairly minimal and it's odd to act, as some do, as though someone's whole opinion of the game or players is useless just because of the medium they viewed it.

Just now, bluebruce said:

As I said in the post you quoted, there's only a bit of off the ball you miss as the camera keeps near the action. Most fans rather than scouts are going to be watching the action and who is in position around the action. We obviously don't agree, but I maintain the missed movement is fairly minimal and it's odd to act, as some do, as though someone's whole opinion of the game or players is useless just because of the medium they viewed it.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

Anyway, sure BA or CA would be a better instant impact than SG but I would not be opposed to the latter either. Those claiming its underwhelming are saying so simply because of the other two links. SG on a perm (of whom is also being chased by Boro as a replacement for BA and is currently getting some fleeting minutes for Southampton) would be a sensible signing that has the potential to grow. TM likes him, he seems a good professional and I really feel he is another that has never really benefitted from being played up front for a number of games.

I am just glad we're trying to address an area that is needed. Oh and whoever said Nuttal is a better option than SG needs to take a look at themselves. Nuttal has done well recently but he is not near SG right now in terms of ability.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wasnt lambasting anyones opinion, i literally took the individual point that you see more on TV and disagreed with it.

You see all 11 players on each team, the shape of each team in full, the off the ball movements, you see everything. Obviously you still see how good a player is on TV but all I am saying is you see more at the game.

I wasn't saying you see more on TV, I don't know if you mean me or another poster. I think you see more in some ways, less in others, but not so as it makes a world of difference. Just nuances.

I forget if you were the original poster, but whoever it was seemed to be essentially saying BDG's view was worthless because it was on a screen. If it wasn't you, fair play.