BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As I recall, Williams' policy of having "a raft of players in their 30's on ludicrous contracts" had us in top half of the Premier League year after year plus many excellent cup runs. We certainly did get out of that cycle when the idiots who now own us took over.

Exactly and I can't quite get my head round, why the poster has said what he has.

Vey baffling, to say the least.

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As I recall, Williams' policy of having "a raft of players in their 30's on ludicrous contracts" had us in top half of the Premier League year after year plus many excellent cup runs. 

Now we're £140m in debt with many 1st team players out of contract.

Bad advice? 

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Now we're £140m in debt with many 1st team players out of contract.

Bad advice? 

Bad advice, bad luck, made up stories, who knows? What I do know though, is I don't trust the people making the decisions still and I for one am therefore firmly on my guard with them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lraC said:

Bad advice, bad luck, made up stories, who knows? What I do know though, is I don't trust the people making the decisions still and I for one am therefore firmly on my guard with them.

Bad advice, my arse!

It would be so nice and convenient to lay the blame on anyone other than the people, who still own the club. I get that.

All you have to do is look at the quality of people appointed to key positions at the club over 11 years. It is a pattern and we have had to endure a long line of clowns and shysters. This continued long after people said Venky's had learned from their mistakes...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
typo
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Bad advice, my arse!

It would be so nice and convenient to lay the blame on anyone other than the people, who still own the club. I get that.

All you have to do is look at the quality of people appointed to key positions at the club over 11 years. It is a pattern and we have had to endure a long line of clowns and shysters. This continued long after people said Venky's had leaned from their mistakes...

Absolutely yet some people some people seem to have forgiven forgotten and someone seems to have taken offence at me, posting a link to stories from the past, that allege things may not all be sweetness and light at Venky Towers.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lraC said:

Absolutely yet some people some people seem to have forgiven forgotten and someone seems to have taken offence at me, posting a link to stories from the past, that allege things may not all be sweetness and light at Venky Towers.

In all honesty, there is a small part of me-very small- that hopes even now that a partnership could be forged between Venky's and Rovers centred business people!

Mostly, as regards Venky's "baby", I find myself recalling the old definition of child neglect...the ongoing failure to meet a child's basic needs...

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

In all honesty, there is a small part of me-very small- that hopes even now that a partnership could be forged between Venky's and Rovers centred business people!

Mostly, as regards Venky's "baby", I find myself recalling the old definition of child neglect...the ongoing failure to meet a child's basic needs...

That's the only way I see them getting out of this mess, but as you know, that olive branch has been turned down before. Why they choose to ignore people who would have the clubs best interests at heart is beyond me, hence the conspiracy theories, with or without substance.

Edited by lraC
Typo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Mike E said:

Some really interesting options out there if Venkys want to show a bit of ambition. I'm trying to channel the logic that brought Hodgson and Souness to Rovers. Or maybe I need to lay off the drink?

Andre Villas-Boas - Not exactly in favour when it comes to managing in England after lukewarm spells at Chelsea and Spurs, but has done well at clubs away from the spotlight. Trophies at Porto, won everything there is to win in Russia with Zenit St Petersburg, turned SIPG from also-rans to title contenders in China, and returned a floundering Marseille to the CL spots. Turns his teams into well-oiled machines. Who's to say a spell with Rovers without the pressure of the PL in one of English football's most secure jobs won't appeal?

Rudi GarciaNamed French Manager of the Year on three occasions, Rudi Garcia has edged toward journeyman territory since winning Ligue 1 with Lille a decade ago. He has enjoyed many good moments in his stints with Roma, Marseille and Lyon. Renowned for demanding an incredible work ethic from his squad.

Paolo Fonseca - Led Shakhtar as the dominant force in Ukraine, playing scintillating fast-break football. Also had good spells at Porto, Braga, and Roma; recently departed Roma despite having won around half his matches in charge of the club. Amazed he's not been snapped up.

Eddie Howe - His achievements at Bournemouth were often qualified, and there’s a sense he might have missed his chance at a top job following the Cherries’ demise at the end of his tenure. Don't let the ex-Dingle stuff put you off, I think he's got life left in him yet, possibly even as a Southgate replacement imo.

Quique Setien - Sporting the frankly awesome nickname of ‘El Maestro’ (nope, doesn't ring a bell at all) as a player, Quique Setien has had an eventful managerial career. He managed Equatorial Guinea and worked in the lower Spanish divisions. Made his name with Las Palmas and a highly fruitful Real Betis displaying the Cruyffian principles of Total Football that would attract Barca. A short and underwhelming stint at Barcelona followed, bit that wouldn't stop us, would it?

Lucien Favre - It ended in ugly fashion in Dortmund, but the lure of Lucien Favre remains. His teams play exhilarating football. On top of the fun, there’s plenty of substance too, with his teams often exceeding expectations. With experience in Switzerland, Germany and France, perhaps it’s time for an English club to take a chance on Favre?

I'm so out of touch with football other than rovers I dont even recognise half those names! but I trust your judgement Mike E 😄 so would welcome any with open arms.

p.s. I think Eddie Howes Newcastle stint will turn into a circus(not by his doin though!) So wouldn't be surprised to see him available again at the end of the season

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

i know they've all been offered new contracts!! 

as for "improved" contacts that's pretty vague and likely means still pretty crap compared to what they could get elsewhere. 

not interested in theorising whobwe could sign, because until Mowbrays gone it makes no difference. 

Not interest in theorising what they might get wage wise from other clubs. 

They have been offered new improve contracts. 

an yes I am very interested who we signed here regardless who the manager is

20 hours ago, islander200 said:

Farke had a decent sporting director who had a hand in the signings and some exceptional young talent already at the club, you would have to imagine that Norwich have a superior scouting network to us with our owners being the jokers that they are.

Yes he had Stuart Webber at Norwich who control everything. Webber has improve and grow the Scouting network since joining them

19 hours ago, Mike E said:

Some really interesting options out there if Venkys want to show a bit of ambition. I'm trying to channel the logic that brought Hodgson and Souness to Rovers. Or maybe I need to lay off the drink?

Andre Villas-Boas - Not exactly in favour when it comes to managing in England after lukewarm spells at Chelsea and Spurs, but has done well at clubs away from the spotlight. Trophies at Porto, won everything there is to win in Russia with Zenit St Petersburg, turned SIPG from also-rans to title contenders in China, and returned a floundering Marseille to the CL spots. Turns his teams into well-oiled machines. Who's to say a spell with Rovers without the pressure of the PL in one of English football's most secure jobs won't appeal?

Rudi GarciaNamed French Manager of the Year on three occasions, Rudi Garcia has edged toward journeyman territory since winning Ligue 1 with Lille a decade ago. He has enjoyed many good moments in his stints with Roma, Marseille and Lyon. Renowned for demanding an incredible work ethic from his squad.

Paolo Fonseca - Led Shakhtar as the dominant force in Ukraine, playing scintillating fast-break football. Also had good spells at Porto, Braga, and Roma; recently departed Roma despite having won around half his matches in charge of the club. Amazed he's not been snapped up.

Eddie Howe - His achievements at Bournemouth were often qualified, and there’s a sense he might have missed his chance at a top job following the Cherries’ demise at the end of his tenure. Don't let the ex-Dingle stuff put you off, I think he's got life left in him yet, possibly even as a Southgate replacement imo.

Quique Setien - Sporting the frankly awesome nickname of ‘El Maestro’ (nope, doesn't ring a bell at all) as a player, Quique Setien has had an eventful managerial career. He managed Equatorial Guinea and worked in the lower Spanish divisions. Made his name with Las Palmas and a highly fruitful Real Betis displaying the Cruyffian principles of Total Football that would attract Barca. A short and underwhelming stint at Barcelona followed, bit that wouldn't stop us, would it?

Lucien Favre - It ended in ugly fashion in Dortmund, but the lure of Lucien Favre remains. His teams play exhilarating football. On top of the fun, there’s plenty of substance too, with his teams often exceeding expectations. With experience in Switzerland, Germany and France, perhaps it’s time for an English club to take a chance on Favre?

Mike, You need to be very realistic who we can and should appoint. No chance of any of those 5 names coming here

32 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

HSH Agency still supplying the staff. Hmm...

Other than the manager who else have they been supplying the club with

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not interest in theorising what they might get wage wise from other clubs. 

They have been offered new improve contracts. 

an yes I am very interested who we signed here regardless who the manager is

Yes he had Stuart Webber at Norwich who control everything. Webber has improve and grow the Scouting network since joining them

Mike, You need to be very realistic who we can and should appoint. No chance of any of those 5 names coming here

Other than the manager who else have they been supplying the club with

Biting my Tongue. Biting my tongue😣.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

He's got a point more chance of platting fog than any of those coming here, HSH have supplied managers thats about it

it was more his ramblings in response to my post that I was referring to 🙂

Although... Mike E was clearly just indulging in a bit of wishful thinking! his comments didn't really warrant chuddys patronising response. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Definitely wishful thinking! However I genuinely do think that the combination of:

Job Security

Wealthy Owners

Relative relaxed fanbase

Gateway to English football

Would all be attractive to much better candidates than Tony bloody Mowbray, and those suggestions I posted would most definitely be the absolute peak.

Begs the question why only 2 (despite their successes) have been in the Premier League.

Remember we all (well not me, I was born in 1991) thought Jack was mental when he approached Kenny Dalglish.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

11 years monopolised by this agency and previously connected agencies now. Strange.

It's a great point.

Imo it's down to the owners being too lenient  with people who win their trust as opposed to the conspiracy theory bollux we had 10 + years ago though.

I certainly wouldn't mind if we ended up with HSH client Mark Robins either. 

10 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

fed up of these kinds of comments from Mowbray as well -'But Mowbray is clear that Pickering is the club's first choice left-back and believes that though there are aspects he still needs to improve upon, there is certainly resale value to the Premier League if the player develops as the Blackburn boss envisages.'

Just shows that promotion is not a target for him what-so-ever and he seems to just see his job at the club is just to tart up promising players and sell them on for a profit asap to clubs that are actually trying to get promoted or already in the prem. Which in my opinion is just a soulless way to run a football club and completely lacking any ambition.

#Mowbray Out

#Waggot Out

#Hughes In ( just my personal preference)

Yep.

Hughes and Tom Finn I'd go for.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I don't understand the rigid reliance on HSH, which is why I can't let go of my suspicions that something sinister continues.

Why restrict yourself FROM finding the best candidate so much?

The owners couldn't care less, thats why they keep repeating the same old mistakes. 

Where is the incentive to get the wage bill down? They've had 11yrs to get that under control? But it doesn't fit with the operating model of turning over players so the pigs for the agencies to get the snouts in the trough.

Some think it was a good thing we dismantled the Allardyce side and threw the likes of captain Ryan Nelson on the scrap heap and the brilliant Michel Salgodo, it was about time we got the wage bill under control right?

But hang on a minute, aren't we still losing millions season after season due to wages being out of the control?

Eureka moment? probably not.....Its all Mowbrays fault......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

The owners couldn't care less, thats why they keep repeating the same old mistakes. 

Where is the incentive to get the wage bill down? They've had 11yrs to get that under control? But it doesn't fit with the operating model of turning over players so the pigs for the agencies to get the snouts in the trough.

Some think it was a good thing we dismantled the Allardyce side and threw the likes of captain Ryan Nelson on the scrap heap and the brilliant Michel Salgodo, it was about time we got the wage bill under control right?

But hang on a minute, aren't we still losing millions season after season due to wages being out of the control?

Eureka moment? probably not.....Its all Mowbrays fault......

If there are still people at the club, who are gaining more than a fair rate financially, by bringing players and management staff in, then nothing has changed. In the Nelsen interview, he didn’t actually name the person, who called him to tell him to collect his belongings and clear off, without saying bye to anyone, but I’m sure I know who that was.

Fast forward 11 years and we are perhaps going to lose 3 players for very little, or nothing very soon and replacements are apparently lined up.

Hopefully, they will be at least as good as those we lose and any agent involvement, will be at normal rates of commission.

• Like 2