BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

On 18/11/2021 at 16:31, rigger said:

A forward who scored goals for us, but also fell on his arse a lot and peperred the Blackburn end with shots. But was a fans favourite.

Wouldn't say he was a Fans favourite exactly, when he was here I think most people wondered how he got in the side every week and assumed he must be in possession of incriminating photographs of the manager.

After he left however he became a cult hero because given he had been that bad, every time anyone from either side missed a sitter the cry of "Beamo" went up for many years thereafter.

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

There is absolutely no evidence to support the thought the owners are planning on putting us into admin or selling the club 

If any of that was a remote possibility at this time then they wouldnt be trying to work around ffp by selling the STC.They would have taken the points deduction and the transfer embargo which would have given them an excuse if they had no plans to spend in the transfer market

Thank goodness for a bit of common sense on this thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hasta said:

Plus in order to get any money out of it in that scenario, they have now removed the major asset out of the club.

Ok so just assuming for a second  in a weird parallel conspiratorial world that the explanation for the Training ground move isn't the obvious one that it's to get round FFP and it is in fact  a machiavellian plot to cash in on it by the owners.

Why not just sell it now?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ok so just assuming for a second  in a weird parallel conspiratorial world that the explanation for the Training ground move isn't the obvious one that it's to get round FFP and it is in fact  a machiavellian plot to cash in on it by the owners.

Why not just sell it now?

Why not just remortgage it and retain ownership then with the club?  Money is cheap to borrow....

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Taking the thread back to the original topic of Mowbray, Ssturday's game at Bristol City was a microcosm of us under him imo.

First half, against a team bang out of form and confidence we never turned up. This was followed by a much improved second half display.

In the end a draw was probably fair but a team going places would have scented blood and found a way to win yesterday. Whatever anyone's views on the owners, under a better and more ambitious manager we would do better.

Someone who could get the players to put a shift in for 90 mins as opposed to 45 would help.

Mowbray out

Waggott out

Venus out.

We seem to concede goals with frightening ease. We may as well accept that we start each game a goal down at least.

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Taking the thread back to the original topic of Mowbray, Ssturday's game at Bristol City was a microcosm of us under him imo.

In recent seasons we'd have lost that game on Saturday imo, we didn't lose, we gained a point in my book.

We also saw another Mowbray signing standing up to be counted, the excellent Thomas Kaminski. In a week where he was called up to the full Belgium national side, his value increases further, Mowbray can certainly spot a player.

Not all bad is it Rev.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Aye, like Christian Walton.

Edit: If you make enough duff signings I suppose you're bound to get the odd one right eventually on the law of averages.

He was a loan signing wasn't he?

Can you tell me how many 'duff signings' he's made when a transfer fee has been involved? 

15 minutes ago, Gav said:

He was a loan signing wasn't he?

Can you tell me how many 'duff signings' he's made when a transfer fee has been involved? 

Think this is an unfair criteria as just because a transfer fee may or may not be involved doesn't necessarily influence their importance to the team. 

Walton is a case in point. "Just" a loan but played most games and cost us countless goals and points. Not sure well we didn't pay a fee for him is a valid excuse for how damaging he was to the team. Whittingham would be another - no transfer fee involved but one of our higher earners making it a costly mistake. 

Gallagher would be the first name to meet your criteria btw. 

I'll be honest Gav. Whilst I agree Venkys are the bigger problem TM is far from a good manager and I find it a tad strange that he's absolved of blame even as a symptom not the cause. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Think this is an unfair criteria as just because a transfer fee may or may not be involved doesn't necessarily influence their importance to the team. 

Walton is a case in point. "Just" a loan but played most games and cost us countless goals and points. Not sure well we didn't pay a fee for him is a valid excuse for how damaging he was to the team. Whittingham would be another - no transfer fee involved but one of our higher earners making it a costly mistake. 

Gallagher would be the first name to meet your criteria btw. 

I'll be honest Gav. Whilst I agree Venkys are the bigger problem TM is far from a good manager and I find it a tad strange that he's absolved of blame even as a symptom not the cause. 

Rev has run a mile because Mowbrays buys have been on the whole excellent, his return on investment must delight the owners, no getting away from that.

The loan market is a lottery, especially when we have no money to compete on wages. Harvey Elliot was a gem, Tosin was a gem, but its a lottery in the main with more failures than successes. 

On Sam Gallagher, he's a mangers dream, if you go to games thinking "Gallagher = striker = goals" and nothing else matters, you'll probably be disappointed. But the work that lad puts in during a game is phenomenal with or without the ball, how many chances has he setup this season for his team mates?

Brereton up until this season was poor, he not only failed to score he also didn't work hard enough, but he's put that right this season and all credit to him.

I never absolved Mowbray of any blame for not being good enough, I'd have sacked him a while ago, but clearly its not all bad, for the reasons I've already stated. 

Edited by Gav

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Rev has run a mile because Mowbrays buys have been on the whole excellent, his return on investment must delight the owners, no getting away from that.

The loan market is a lottery, especially when we have no money to compete on wages. Harvey Elliot was a gem, Tosin was a gem, but its a lottery in the main with more failures than successes. 

On Sam Gallagher, he's a mangers dream, if you go to games thinking "Gallagher = striker = goals" and nothing else matters, you'll probably be disappointed. But the work that lad puts in during a game is phenomenal with or without the ball, how many chances has he setup this season for his team mates?

Brereton up until this season was poor, he not only failed to score he also didn't work hard enough, but he's put that right this season and all credit to him.

I never absolved Mowbray of any blame for not being good enough, I'd have sacked him a while ago, but clearly its not all bad, for the reasons I've already stated. 

You're clearly on the wind up Gav, Gallagher has been an absolutely abysmal signing.

Clubs in our current  position simplycan't afford to get it wrong when spending that much and he's also one of the highest wage earners.

What makes it even more unforgiveable was that he was here before and didn't look all that then. (Albeit substantially better than he does now)

• Like 1

Dack, Brereton and Armstrong were signed for a total under £10 million pounds. Dack would have left for £15 million plus if fit, Armstrong did leave for £15 million and it should have been more and Brereton will leave for that if not more. That's a £35 million profit. Simple as. Mowbray deserves credit and of course you can say Dack is injured and didn't leave blah , blah, but we all know he would have if fit. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack, Brereton and Armstrong were signed for a total under £10 million pounds. Dack would have left for £15 million plus if fit, Armstrong did leave for £15 million and it should have been more and Brereton will leave for that if not more. That's a £35 million profit. Simple as. Mowbray deserves credit and of course you can say Dack is injured and didn't leave blah , blah, but we all know he would have if fit. 

They cost £11m. (£1m, £3m and £7m)

We only netted around £10m for Armstrong (should have been more but for the contract situation) and similarly there's a good chance Brereton will leave for nothing or a lot less than his true worth for the same reason.

I wonder how many players Mowbray has signed in his near 5 and a half seasons here? A hell of a lot and  off the top of my head I'd genuinely only say Dack/ Armstrong/Brereton/Kaminsky/Elliott/Harwood Bellis Tosin and Reed (who he wasted anyway) were good signings. May be the odd one I've missed so apologies to them.

I'd say that's a dreadful ratio in comparison to the numbers of players he's actually signed, the amount spent on wages and the dead money frittered away on loan fees.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 47er said:

I notice you have completely ignored 2 posts on Kean's contract! What's your explanation?

Why would a manager be offered a bonus to take his club to the Championship and a further one to Div 1?

I haven't ignored it I don't recall seeing it.

Bonus payments for relegation? I am not too sure on that ethic but in football if you drop a league or two you take wage drops not increases. Contracts in football are also subject to overview of the FA and Premier League for compliance and I am pretty sure that if such clauses were put in place someone would have noticed it!

Because that isn't permissible for FFP purposes!

A  few still don't understand that the way Rovers have played this "sale" is consummate with FFP rules and that this practice is now no longer allowed in the Football League. You could actually say they played a blinder on this point.

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

A  few still don't understand that the way Rovers have played this "sale" is consummate with FFP rules and that this practice is now no longer allowed in the Football League. You could actually say they played a blinder on this point.

"Played a blinder" is perhaps stretching it a bit far as clued up, knowledgeable and hands on owners shouldn't have allowed the situation to get to that point in the first place.

But yes, they did exploit the loophole just before it was closed off which to me demonstrates their continued commitment to the cause.

Now if only all that money and genuine intent could finally be put to good use under skillfull and shrewd operators on the ground at Ewood with their finger on the pulse of the supporter base.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They cost £11m. (£1m, £3m and £7m)

We only netted around £10m for Armstrong (should have been more but for the contract situation) and similarly there's a good chance Brereton will leave for nothing or a lot less than his true worth for the same reason.

I wonder how many players Mowbray has signed in his near 5 and a half seasons here? A hell of a lot and  off the top of my head I'd genuinely only say Dack/ Armstrong/Brereton/Kaminsky/Elliott/Harwood Bellis Tosin and Reed (who he wasted anyway) were good signings. May be the odd one I've missed so apologies to them.

I'd say that's a dreadful ratio in comparison to the numbers of players he's actually signed, the amount spent on wages and the dead money frittered away on loan fees.

Dack was £750,000, widely reported. Grand we will say £3 for AA even though it was £1.75 upfront, Brereton reported at £6 million. 

We got £15 million for Armstrong, of which Newcastle did get a cut. Still doesn't alter the fact a he sold for 5 times what Mowbray paid for him and scored almost 30 league goals in his final season here.

Not every deal will work out but ultimately he has made a profit or at least recouped most of what he spent on the Armstrong deal alone. 

Yes, we know there have been issues on the field at times, but to someone looking at the figures and from the outside, you can't argue he has done good business. Would have been even better if Dack didn't get injured. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack was £750,000, widely reported. Grand we will say £3 for AA even though it was £1.75 upfront, Brereton reported at £6 million. 

We got £15 million for Armstrong, of which Newcastle did get a cut. Still doesn't alter the fact a he sold for 5 times what Mowbray paid for him and scored almost 30 league goals in his final season here.

Not every deal will work out but ultimately he has made a profit or at least recouped most of what he spent on the Armstrong deal alone. 

Yes, we know there have been issues on the field at times, but to someone looking at the figures and from the outside, you can't argue he has done good business. Would have been even better if Dack didn't get injured. 

Dack was a stroke of inspiration there's no doubt about that, fairly left field and by far the best signing of the lot all things considered.

My argument would be, if you're given the funding to bring in around, I don't know forty or fifty players over five years either permanently or on loan, you'd expect a few belters as an absolute minimum and under a genuinely astute manager, a lot more than that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Dack was a stroke of inspiration there's no doubt about that, fairly left field and by far the best signing of the lot all things considered.

My argument would be, if you're given the funding to bring in around, I don't know forty or fifty players over five years either permanently or on loan, you'd expect a few belters as an absolute minimum and under a genuinely astute manager, a lot more than that.

Would you? I would say look at the division, a handful of teams have managed that and the vast majority of them had parachute money.  A lot of managers have overseen far worse spending than Mowbray has 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

You're clearly on the wind up Gav, Gallagher has been an absolutely abysmal signing.

Sam Gallagher is probably the first name on the team sheet when fit, he does far more than score goals Rev, his work ethic with an without the ball is undeniable, he creates, and weights in with one or two also, a managers dream.

If he could add a few more goals to his tally he'd be off for another significant profit, he can spot a player can Mowbray. 

Of course, Mowbray may well have had some success in the transfer market.

Where he's been abysmal though, is putting a team together, one that can win sufficient games and make progress.

A manager can buy all the superstars in the world, but that's no use if he can't make a team out of them. 

After 5 seasons, an 11th place 'highlight' tells me enough about him.

• Like 1