BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why dont we have much to lose in this game? Its an important game.

I think the value of them 2 players is far lower already than what we paid. Ultimately Gallagher has played many times this season and not impressed at all bar for one half. I dont understand how he deserves another game ahead of Dack or Graham. Brereton has never shown any glimpses to suggest he should be thrown in tomorrow ahead of 2 proven performers.

It is very difficult to "give up" on 2 players who cost us so much but its also counter productive to play them at the expense of our chance of getting results. Dacks attacking output at the club has been consistently excellent, backed up statistically. To drop him (if hes fit as Mowbray hinted at a major player having a tight hamstring today) would be absurd.

We're 7 points off the drop. It's not a must-win game. Most fans aren't giving us much chance regardless of who the manager plays. 

If we're to salvage anything from these big-money signings, they need to play. Starting on the wing one week, the odd cameo the next, now that's counter-productive. They need to play in their proper positions and they need good service. That's why I'd give them that first 45mins to prove themselves. Psychologically, playing together might work, as they share that weight of expectation instead of wilting as the lone man. Again, this is what I'd be tempted to do. I know full well where you're coming from. 

• Like 1

Mowbray keeping the names of the other injured players under wraps...

I'm havin a pound on Lenihan and then depending whoever the tombola doesn't pick.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18060687.four-five-fitness-concerns-rovers-ahead-brentford/

Nyambe is better...well he would be...there was nothing wrong with him.

Rothwell dropped.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I disagree there. 

He was good against Boro at home and Reading away. 

Let's say you are right that's still only 3 good games in a what 15 appearances! That's still a very shoddy rate. 

5 minutes ago, Amo said:

Obviously, I know what you're saying but what do we do with our £12m strike-force? Watch them depreciate in value on the bench? It's not like either of them are impact players. We don't have that much to lose in this game. Brereton seems to prefer playing off the last defender, that's why I'd play Rothwell & Chapman as wingers to stretch the opposition, instead of playing everything through Dack in the middle.

Like I said, if it's not working after 45mins, call in the cavalry.

Problem is if it's irredeemable there's not much you can do but watch them depreciate! Let's say I spunked the dosh on 2 cars but neither were capable of getting me to work. I have to find alternative transport. 

Under TM both are irredeemable imo and we won't get anything out of either of them. A new manager might find a player in Gally, although I fear Bereton is a dead loss. But until we're looking at a new chap in charge theres no point playing them. Going back to th car analogy if there's a mechanic who can fix the car then it can drive me to work. Since I'm not a mechanic it can't so I don't use it. 

29 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Mowbray keeping the names of the other injured players under wraps...

I'm havin a pound on Lenihan and then depending whoever the tombola doesn't pick.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18060687.four-five-fitness-concerns-rovers-ahead-brentford/

Nyambe is better...well he would be...there was nothing wrong with him.

Rothwell dropped.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/november/we-believe-we-can-beat-the-bees/

It's a strange article on the home page too.

"A couple of players might not make but I wont tell you who they are"

"Ok, ones Joe Rothwell"

• Like 1

'We believe we can beat the Bees' is not the sort of headline I want to see on the club website before a game. We are playing Brentford, and whilst recent performances suggest we will struggle against anyone you might think we were playing Barcelona or Bayern Munich rather than a midtable 2nd division side to whom Mowbray sold our keeper because he was a liability.

Just now, JHRover said:

'We believe we can beat the Bees' is not the sort of headline I want to see on the club website before a game. We are playing Brentford, and whilst recent performances suggest we will struggle against anyone you might think we were playing Barcelona or Bayern Munich rather than a midtable 2nd division side to whom Mowbray sold our keeper because he was a liability.

Do you not regularly hold Brentford up as an example of shining beacon in the Championship? How good their recruitment and managerial choices are, the style of football they play? 

I am pretty sure that you do.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/november/we-believe-we-can-beat-the-bees/

It's a strange article on the home page too.

"A couple of players might not make but I wont tell you who they are"

"Ok, ones Joe Rothwell"

What a strange article.

“There’s one or two after the weekend who are having tests, but I’m not going to tell you which ones and give the plans away," he revealed to iFollow Rovers ahead of the game.

In other words, I haven't decided whos turn it is to play on Wednesday yet...

“We’ll see if they can get through training today and we’ll pick a team that we think can be really competitive and try to get another three points.

He says this every week, why is it so tough for our players to "get through training" ?

“[Joe] Rothwell’s one of those players and there’s one or two others to be honest. We’ll see.

Ah yes,  of course he is. As predicted right at the start of the thread, Rothwell's next start is currently pencilled in for New Years Day.

Another one - 

“I don’t want to build Brentford up because I really believe that we can beat them"

Then goes on to say...

“But they’ve won five of the last six, scoring three at Wigan, three at QPR, three somewhere else as well.

“They’re a decent football team who have some very good individual threats, particularly with [Said] Benrahma and [Ollie] Watkins, who can hurt you," he added.

“They have a lot of foreign players who a lot of people wouldn’t have heard of, but they’re very technical, very talented and move the ball around well.

“They’re organised and can pick you off. It’s a test for us and a good challenge for us. At home we can beat anyone on our day, so let’s hope Wednesday is our day."

Tony Mowbray is such an oddball manager, I just can't understand him at all.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you not regularly hold Brentford up as an example of shining beacon in the Championship? How good their recruitment and managerial choices are, the style of football they play? 

I am pretty sure that you do.  

I don't comment on style of play as it doesn't interest me. I've regularly held them up as an example of a well run club who are very good at what they do. There's a difference between me on here admiring/respecting the way they do business and then our manager and club website going with 'we can beat the bees' as though we are not worthy and are facing the challenge of a lifetime.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

What a strange article.

“There’s one or two after the weekend who are having tests, but I’m not going to tell you which ones and give the plans away," he revealed to iFollow Rovers ahead of the game.

“We’ll see if they can get through training today and we’ll pick a team that we think can be really competitive and try to get another three points.

He says this every week, why is it so touch for our players to "get through training" ?

“[Joe] Rothwell’s one of those players and there’s one or two others to be honest. We’ll see.

Ah yes,  of course he is. As predicted right at the start of the thread, Rothwell's next start is currently pencilled in for New Years Day.

Another one - 

“I don’t want to build Brentford up because I really believe that we can beat them"

Then goes on to say...

“But they’ve won five of the last six, scoring three at Wigan, three at QPR, three somewhere else as well.

“They’re a decent football team who have some very good individual threats, particularly with [Said] Benrahma and [Ollie] Watkins, who can hurt you," he added.

“They have a lot of foreign players who a lot of people wouldn’t have heard of, but they’re very technical, very talented and move the ball around well.

“They’re organised and can pick you off. It’s a test for us and a good challenge for us. At home we can beat anyone on our day, so let’s hope Wednesday is our day."

Yet Mowbray has spent more than Brentford have in the last 3 transfer windows and squandered fortunes whilst Brentford have followed a well laid plan . He has such admiration for their players and style, yet offloaded Raya on them claiming he was a liability for us.

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't comment on style of play as it doesn't interest me. I've regularly held them up as an example of a well run club who are very good at what they do. There's a difference between me on here admiring/respecting the way they do business and then our manager and club website going with 'we can beat the bees' as though we are not worthy and are facing the challenge of a lifetime.

He didn't say that though, did he? In fact I would say your comments and his are pretty similar. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, JHRover said:

Yet Mowbray has spent more than Brentford have in the last 3 transfer windows and squandered fortunes whilst Brentford have followed a well laid plan . He has such admiration for their players and style, yet offloaded Raya on them claiming he was a liability for us.

According to this they spent approx €25 million last summer? So Mowbray hasn't spent more. Don't bother bringing outgoing into it now, because that wasn't what you said. 

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

What a strange article.

He says this every week, why is it so tough for our players to "get through training" ?

Another one - 

Then goes on to say...

“They’re organised and can pick you off. It’s a test for us and a good challenge for us. At home we can beat anyone on our day, so let’s hope Wednesday is our day"

thinly veiled excuse that rothwell is dropped and evans starts,can`t see him playing holtby either twice in a week,tony you are so predictable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

What a strange article.

Another one - 

Then goes on to say...

I can’t believe that anyone can defend this guy any more.

Talk shite, get beat.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Husky said:

Is there any special reason why we are playing on a Wednesday? From memory we seem to have played most of our recent midweek games on a Tuesday.

At least we get to enjoy tonight for once.

Annoying as I usually play on a Wednesday night (not at Ewood, even though my boss would understand my reasons for quitting if Tony gave me the call) .....

4 hours ago, Amo said:

We're 7 points off the drop. It's not a must-win game. Most fans aren't giving us much chance regardless of who the manager plays. 

If we're to salvage anything from these big-money signings, they need to play. Starting on the wing one week, the odd cameo the next, now that's counter-productive. They need to play in their proper positions and they need good service. That's why I'd give them that first 45mins to prove themselves. Psychologically, playing together might work, as they share that weight of expectation instead of wilting as the lone man. Again, this is what I'd be tempted to do. I know full well where you're coming from. 

Conversely, surely if they played at the expense of our best player and only goal threat, the pressure would only increase?

Gallagher has had plenty of chances this season, hes started 14 out of 17 times, more often than not up front, and ultimately has been really poor in all but 1 game. Brereton hasnt had that amount of chances but when he did play last season he looked, if it was for any other team, laughably out of place. Dack scored 2 goals in the last game, dropping him would be ridiculous.

We are playing 8th place Brentford at home, yes they are in good form but theres no way we should be writing a game like that off. I dont understand how only in November, and yes I personally think that theres a large chance that the season could fizzle out, but that we can treat tomorrow as anything other than a "must-win" game, its not like near the end of last season when our fate was mathematically certain and we was experimenting.

I and many others have paid money to turn up tomorrow on a cold Wednesday night on the assumption that the manager will at least try his best and put his best side out to try and win the game. For all his flaws and misguided opinions id like to think he is putting a little more importance on a potential win than you seem to be doing.