BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Thread

On 30/01/2022 at 12:24, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

£4k a month for care,good God that would break most people's savings...scandalous!

Best wishes to Tony and his family,just hope I never have to face a similar situation as it must be heartbreaking.

My Mum’s fees are more than this.

A charity match is 100% the way to go and I cant believe the club haven't already put something in motion!

I can Imagine there would be a fantastic turn out of ex players and managers from the pre 2005 era that would be absolutely delighted to 'Turn out for Tony' 😃  and id be surprised if it didn't attract a big turn out in the stands

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

Surely TP would have an occupational pension as well as a state pension.

If his savings drop then his care will be funded by the State; presumably he has a house and this may have to be assigned to the local authority to pay for his care?

I am not against helping him and his daughter out but many of us face the exactly the same challenges and it is paid for from savings and property and then the State funding kicks in.

23 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

What about a charity game at Ewood...Champions of 95 v Rovers all Stars.There would surely be a huge response to this.

Step up to the plate the Club,ex Players and the Fans for 'MR BLACKBURN ROVERS'

This is more than achievable, if the Action Group can organise a legends match as we did 6 or 7 years ago with BRFC FPA and get the star line up,

Then this should be a walk in the park for the club to organise, or even BRFCS.

A big chunk of the money raised went to supporting Alan Ainscow.

The biggest issues we had last time, was the fees some former players wanted. Whilst many were happy to accept the token £500, some wanted thousands.

Even Tugay, wanted hotel at Lowry, Chauffeur driven car, 24 shirts, first class flights, in an addition to an appearance fee.

The secret to the event, was selling the sponsorship and making it affordable to all, in all areas.

Given the following played.

Filan, Kenna, Hendry,  Atkins, Hignett, P Gallagher, Newell, Gallacher,  Garner, Fazackerly, Grayson, Ripley, Tugay, Gillespie,and Short it was a good night

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

This is more than achievable, if the Action Group can organise a legends match as we did 6 or 7 years ago with BRFC FPA and get the star line up,

The biggest issues we had last time, was the fees some former players wanted. Whilst many were happy to accept the token £500, some wanted thousands.

Even Tugay, wanted hotel at Lowry, Chauffeur driven car, 24 shirts, first class flights, in an addition to an appearance fee.

The secret to the event, was selling the sponsorship and making it affordable to all, in all areas.

Filan, Kenna, Hendry,  Atkins, Hignett, P Gallagher, Newell, Gallacher,  Garner, Fazackerly, Grayson, Ripley, Tugay, Gillespie,and Short it was a good night

Expect something to be announced in the not too distant future

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Sunderland are donating £1 from every ticket sold for Jermain Defoe's return game, towards the Bradley Lowery Foundation.

Rather than putting an extra event on - could we do something similar?

E.g:

The big home game vs. QPR at the end of the month.

£1 from every ticket sold goes towards the funding for Tony Parkes care.

Market the hell out of it, get people on board with it, and get a load more fans in the ground. It would be enticing for Rovers fans of all ages given Tony's status as a true Rovers legend. 

Obviously benefit #1 is money towards the care of Tony.

Benefit #2 for Rovers - Positive PR without having to fund an extra game, pay staff etc. The £ lost on every ticket would comfortably be remade by extra ticket sales and money spent in the ground. Plus possible future sales with a win made more likely by more fans in the ground for what could be a huge game in our season.

Easy and effective. 

(I would rather £5/10 donated per ticket - just using the Sunderland example as a starter)

What an excellent idea 👏👏

57 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Sunderland are donating £1 from every ticket sold for Jermain Defoe's return game, towards the Bradley Lowery Foundation.

Rather than putting an extra event on - could we do something similar?

E.g:

The big home game vs. QPR at the end of the month.

£1 from every ticket sold goes towards the funding for Tony Parkes care.

Market the hell out of it, get people on board with it, and get a load more fans in the ground. It would be enticing for Rovers fans of all ages given Tony's status as a true Rovers legend. 

Obviously benefit #1 is money towards the care of Tony.

Benefit #2 for Rovers - Positive PR without having to fund an extra game, pay staff etc. The £ lost on every ticket would comfortably be remade by extra ticket sales and money spent in the ground. Plus possible future sales with a win made more likely by more fans in the ground for what could be a huge game in our season.

Easy and effective. 

(I would rather £5/10 donated per ticket - just using the Sunderland example as a starter)

Excellent shout that.👍

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Please tell me Tugay was just on the wind up! Otherwise you've just broke my heart 💔

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Please tell me Tugay was just on the wind up! Otherwise you've just broke my heart 💔

Sadly not

Tugay was obviously the star attraction.

A lot of supporters paid, £10 a ticket off memory to attend the aftermatch supper in Jacks Kitchen, to catch some moments with their heros.

However despite our plea's Tugay refused to attend, even for just 2 mins and demanded his car to take him back to hotel. Was probably the sour note on what was an unbelievable event to organise, take part in, and see it all work on the night

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Really disappointing to read.

Tugay refused to meet the fans after the send off we bestowed him at Ewood?

You can never really know someone enough eh.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Sadly not

A lot of supporters paid, £10 a ticket off memory to attend the aftermatch supper in Jacks Kitchen, to catch some moments with their heros.

However despite our plea's Tugay refused to attend, even for just 2 mins and demanded his car to take him back to hotel. Was probably the sour note on what was an unbelievable event to organise, take part in, and see it all work on the night

Hero to zero, a legend dies.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 07:46, oldjamfan1 said:

Really sorry to hear this. It’s a cruel and devastating disease that many families will have direct experience of.

Thoughts are with Tony and his family. The word legend is bandied about a bit too much these days but who would deny that Tony Parkes is “Mr Blackburn Rovers”?

My first trip to watch rovers were the Parkes Garner days, solid defender and he also took over as caretaker manager when rovers needed him. I wish him all the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Sadly not

What a prima donna prick 😞 genuinely really disappointed to hear that. 

I didn't even realise ex players expected any kind of payment and pampering for these types of charity events (how naive am I!) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Geoff66 said:

My first trip to watch rovers were the Parkes Garner days, solid defender and he also took over as caretaker manager when rovers needed him. I wish him all the best.

He wasn’t really a defender to be fair but your sentiment is spot on anyway. He was the perfect foil for Mecky in the midfield at his peak. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

What a prima donna prick 😞 genuinely really disappointed to hear that. 

I didn't even realise ex players expected any kind of payment and pampering for these types of charity events (how naive am I!) 

I will not bore you with some of the names who wanted £10k £20k etc for an event which was to raise money for the former players.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Could be a fun game now the windows shut

LETS PLAY

GUESS THE ARSEHOLE

You just have to ask what players would they have definitely  asked to play that didn't appear and work from there.

Edited by Darrenbot
  • Like 1