BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

He won’t play out and out wingers. Never has...will be 3 out of Arma, Dack, Gally, BB, Schmidt?, Holtby. Rothwell, Chapman, Vale, Butterworth

Aye... mores the pity, because I think a proper winger or two would help Gallagher immensely, and give us a bit more balance. 
A lot of names there, and unless Schmidt is good enough to be starting most weeks I don’t think we should bother.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray's spent £12m on 2 strikers in the last two years, of course he shouldn't buy another. He can't keep buying them, especially if they are shite.

Gally should be played centrally, He scored 12 under Coyle, he should score more in a better team and manager. Coyle played with wingers though, hopefully Mowbray works out that he needs at least one proper winger on the pitch.

Then again, he might go for the false 9 bollocks, which means he doesn't need a new striker at all.

Samuel and Graham are irrelevant as they hardly played last season and we didn't really struggle to score - 6th highest scorers in the league. 

It must also mean we aren't selling AA or Dack. 

Gally

AA            Dack        Proper winger

I'd be reluctant to put Armstrong outwide. He doesn't really do alot when he's there. He's much better as a central striker and his performances last season have earned him the right to stay there.

Gally can't play wide either but he shouldn't be taking Arma's place up front.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

I'd be reluctant to put Armstrong outwide. He doesn't really do alot when he's there. He's much better as a central striker and his performances last season have earned him the right to stay there.

Gally can't play wide either but he shouldn't be taking Arma's place up front.

AA I'd agree is better up front but did he not get a lot of his goals from out wide? Anything to keep Gally away from the wing where he is a complete waste of space. 

In fact, if Mowbray does persist with SG out wide he should sack himself at HT during the Wycombe game and swap dug-outs with Ainsworth. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

If we lose Armstrong or Dack to injury it leaves us relying on Gallagher, Brereton, Vale and Butterworth as our primary goal threats.

It's not like we have midfielders who can chip in with goals. When you play players in their actual positions in midfield it gives us 14 goals total last season. If as I said we lose Dack and Armstrong. We have 8 goals upfront last season.

25 goals. Madness.

My main concern is if we lose Dack and Armstrong. Where do our goals come from?

In the fifty years I have been watching the Rovers, it has always been the case of if we loose so and so, who will score the goals. We have always survived. And As much as I like them, we have lost some better goalscorers than Dack and Armstrong .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

AA I'd agree is better up front but did he not get a lot of his goals from out wide? Anything to keep Gally away from the wing where he is a complete waste of space. 

I don't have the stats but I felt like he played centrally a lot more after Dacks injury, which coincided with AA bagging more consistently.

From memory, I can't recall him having any good games outwide really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

In fact, if Mowbray does persist with SG out wide he should sack himself at HT during the Wycombe game and swap dug-outs with Ainsworth. 

Most of Armstrongs goals came when he moved centrally last winter. He had produced so infrequently out wide in the 18 months prior that he was getting a lot of criticism which seems a long time ago now. 

41 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

If we lose Armstrong or Dack to injury it leaves us relying on Gallagher, Brereton, Vale and Butterworth as our primary goal threats.

It's not like we have midfielders who can chip in with goals. When you play players in their actual positions in midfield it gives us 14 goals total last season. If as I said we lose Dack and Armstrong. We have 8 goals upfront last season.

25 goals. Madness.

People sniffing glue on twitter, seem to think BB will get 10-12 goals.

One bloke even seems to believe he has 20+ goals (in a season, not career) in him.

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

Am I the only person who thinks releasing Samuel and Graham, but not bringing anyone else in is bonkers?

Any striker signing should be well down the pecking order. 

In terms of goals Samuel and Graham contributed little to our tally last year.  

I'd be confident that the likes of Vale and Butterworth could match that contribution from the bench  - on a fraction of their combined salaries.  

Get the money spent on the defence.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

People sniffing glue on twitter, seem to think BB will get 10-12 goals.

One bloke even seems to believe he has 20+ goals (in a season, not career) in him.

I've made a note - Summer Transfer Window page 264

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Doesnt add up at all really. Attacking midfielder which we dont need. Mid way through a 2 year loan. Quick look online and he has recently in the last 2 weeks been given the number 10 short at his loan club and been on the team photo this week. I think the likes are coincidental. Maybe has a soft spot like Yuri Zhirkov strangely did too!

According to this he can play deeper aswell. We definitley need a midfielder that can contribute with goals. 

9EC295A7-02DF-4D70-83BE-6B79D7E16EB1.png

Edited by sandstorm

46 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

25 goals. Madness.

If we lose them in a transfer then yes, you would expect a striker.  If it's injury - to both- I think that's just cest la vie.  Really TM has to back his judgement on Gally and Brereton. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

This would be good...

kaminski - Perm fee

Ohara - Free

kipre - perm fee

Cunningham - Loan to perm

Schmidt - Loan to perm

Whiteman - Perm fee 

I'd be happy with that.  Not convinced we we will address the left back position though.  I'd ideally want 2 CB coming as well with Mulgrew a non starter and Williams a liability. 

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

In the fifty years I have been watching the Rovers, it has always been the case of if we loose so and so, who will score the goals. We have always survived. And As much as I like them, we have lost some better goalscorers than Dack and Armstrong .

Who’d have thought we’d get promoted the year after selling Tony Field!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I don't have the stats but I felt like he played centrally a lot more after Dacks injury, which coincided with AA bagging more consistently.

From memory, I can't recall him having any good games outwide really.

Some strikers like to be involved much more than others. If they're out of the action for a while they switch off mentally. Then you get the other types that don't mind being on the periphery of play but come to life when that one good chance comes along. They like to lull opposing defenders into a false sense of security. It can be much harder to get yourself into the game out wide.  I suspect Armstrong belongs in the first group.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Screenshot_20200822-210348_Twitter.jpg

The fact that Sharpe hasn’t disregarded this leads me to believe that there might be a something in it. 

In terms of Schmidt, he seems to be giving the signals that he is on his way. Can’t say I know much about him or what kind of player he is.

Glad to see that things are finally moving! Makes this thread a lot less depressing 

Best football Rovers played after 2001 IMO, was the season we had Bellamy and Pongolle.  Playing down the sides of teams with their pace was great to watch. 

We potentially have the options of some real genuine pace up front with Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell and now Dolan.  Dack brings a different dynamic to that mix with his touch and dribbling.  Gallagher (and potentially Brereton *not convinced) bring height and hopefully some physicality.  

If we are looking a  1 up top and 3 behind ....or 3 up top, there is a lot of scope there. 

But not if the Gallagher/Brereton are stuck out wide.  Time for Tony to tinker less. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, briansol said:

I have no problem with that on account that we have a lot of other positions to fill. Samuel and Graham didn't to much last season, and it opens up for Vale and Butterworth. 

Vale would never player as a central striker though. Tony believes that players have to earn the right to play through the middle.

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Best football Rovers played after 2001 IMO, was the season we had Bellamy and Pongolle.  Playing down the sides of teams with their pace was great to watch. 

We potentially have the options of some real genuine pace up front with Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell and now Dolan.  Dack brings a different dynamic to that mix with his touch and dribbling.  Gallagher (and potentially Brereton *not convinced) bring height and hopefully some physicality.  

If we are looking a  1 up top and 3 behind ....or 3 up top, there is a lot of scope there. 

But not if the Gallagher/Brereton are stuck out wide.  Time for Tony to tinker less. 

He has to start playing BB and Gally more. Maybe he’ll add Chapman more too...then you 5 for 3 positions up top (inc Dack and AA) before you begin to blood the likes of Butterworth and Vale....they’ll be looking for 10 each from Gally and BB and 15 a piece from Dack and AA. Not saying they’ll get them but that will be the aim imo

Edited by Paul Mani

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack isnt half as effective as a false 9 and presumably Armstrong would be back to being on the left so we would be playing our only 2 goal threats both out of position. Makes no sense.

That’s the way I think we’re heading though with a 433!