BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Which is irrelevant to the point you're making about finances. 

Not really. If the transfer budget and wage budget is impacted by the number of season ticket sales who in their right minds would sit and do nothing until mid September and then complain by early October about numbers sold?

Why set a transfer and wage budget and then wait 3 months before starting sales?

Doesn't add up and you were the one who brought season tickets up.

As I say, doesn't actually matter. I'm more interested in the precipice of next summer. I just hope nobody has the audacity to complain about limited money if those players walk for nothing.

28 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I kinda miss the days transfers could be done at any time if I’m honest 

I disagree, in the "good old days" you were looking over your shoulder all the time if you had a decent player, as a bigger Club could poach him at any point.

At least you only have to worry at specified points now and if you get through them you know you have the player for a guaranteed period.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Meanwhile you're ignoring, again, the multi million pound losses that have and will happen from covid.

Very worried about several of those contract situations too though. As I've said before this looks a make or break season.

sometimes the club and owners have to see the bigger picture. Short term savings or medium term massive losses through contract expiry.

Like saving a few quid on avoiding Neil Warnock and getting Coyle. Good for the short term balance sheet. Ended up in League One instead of the Premier League.

Not the brightest here is the lesson to learn.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

no honestly,they are ringing up everybody and anybody

I can confirm I've been asked to join. I told Tony that despite it being a lifelong dream, as a fan I had to do what's best for the club, and as a 35 year old, injury prone, right-footed centre half who never got to semi-pro level before injury issues stopped me playing for more than a few months at a time, I couldn't in all conscience become the club's new left back.

Despite the improvement I think I would offer over Amari'i Bell, I told them to sign someone a lot better than me, but that if they still haven't by the end of the window, I'd sign for my day-job wage, a free season ticket for life, and a legal promise they'll do everything in their power to sign Nyambe to a new deal.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree, in the "good old days" you were looking over your shoulder all the time if you had a decent player, as a bigger Club could poach him at any point.

At least you only have to worry at specified points now and if you get through them you know you have the player for a guaranteed period.

A player who has his head turned and is made to stay at the club is not one I want to rely on anyway. Would rather get rid when possible and replace with somebody that wants to be here and play for the shirt. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

sometimes the club and owners have to see the bigger picture. Short term savings or medium term massive losses through contract expiry.

Like saving a few quid on avoiding Neil Warnock and getting Coyle. Good for the short term balance sheet. Ended up in League One instead of the Premier League.

Not the brightest here is the lesson to learn.

The contracts absolutely need to be sorted. I just don't see why you're so flabbergasted that doing so will come out of the transfer budget now that covid is going to drag on longer. Could the owners fund it? Depends what damage has been done to their businesses and how deep their pockets are. Will they? No. Could they get around the FUP constraints in some clever way? Probably, although the league seem to be cracking down on loophole closers in a way they never did when it was introduced. Will they? As has been shown by now, no. They either lack the nous, desire, and/or only do things in the spirit of the rules. Whatever the reason we surely all know by now it just isn't happening and we have to live within both the budget of the club (its natural income plus the FUP permitted owner input) and the FUP restrictions.

All this academic discussion to the contrary is only raising your blood pressure mate. Like the famous saying goes, accept the things you can't change.

Oh and I agree the season ticket sales handling has been a club-made disaster.

Edited by bluebruce

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I can confirm I've been asked to join. I told Tony that despite it being a lifelong dream, as a fan I had to do what's best for the club, and as a 35 year old, injury prone, right-footed centre half who never got to semi-pro level before injury issues stopped me playing for more than a few months at a time, I couldn't in all conscience become the club's new left back.

Despite the improvement I think I would offer over Amari'i Bell, I told them to sign someone a lot better than me, but that if they still haven't by the end of the window, I'd sign for my day-job wage, a free season ticket for life, and a legal promise they'll do everything in their power to sign Nyambe to a new deal.

nice one mate,look forward to you gracing the glorious turf of our club

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

someone been smoking some high grade skunk to imagine brereton being better than reed

I think you need full on LSD for that. Something hallucinatory. No amount of weed is going to make you think Brereton is better than Reed.

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

nice one mate,look forward to you gracing the glorious turf of our club

Cheers. You won't be saying that when I play. Though as everybody has been saying 'absolutely anybody we sign there has to be better than Bell', I can only conclude I'll be an improvement. Hopefully I can make it to the Jan window before we start to hear 'anybody we sign there has to be better than Bruce' and I'm transferred on a free to the Dog n' Bucket due to budget constraints.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Originally I really didn't rate Brereton, then I watched a YouTube video, then Mowbray started picking him. Now I think he's world class

Which world though? If the theories about infinite alternate realities are true, there has to be a world out there where Brereton actually is world class.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Cheers. You won't be saying that when I play. Though as everybody has been saying 'absolutely anybody we sign there has to be better than Bell', I can only conclude I'll be an improvement. Hopefully I can make it to the Jan window before we start to hear 'anybody we sign there has to be better than Bruce' and I'm transferred on a free to the Dog n' Bucket due to budget constraints.

as a former full back myself i might give tony a call,despite my dubious tackling and lack of fitness i reckon i can still pass to someone in blue and white(unlike bell),i might need a few years to get my match fitness back,that is the only problem?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not really. If the transfer budget and wage budget is impacted by the number of season ticket sales who in their right minds would sit and do nothing until mid September and then complain by early October about numbers sold?

Why set a transfer and wage budget and then wait 3 months before starting sales?

Doesn't add up and you were the one who brought season tickets up.

As I say, doesn't actually matter. I'm more interested in the precipice of next summer. I just hope nobody has the audacity to complain about limited money if those players walk for nothing.

It’s strange given that ST income represents a relatively small part of the income contribution to us. If total match income reaches £3m a year then I think that’s about as good as it gets . Take off match day costs which we haven’t had either and maybe not playing has cost us about £1.5m a season when both are taken into account . 
The point I am making if I’ve got this right is that in the scheme of £18m losses every season it fairly minor . Hence I think Waggott and by definition Venkys may be making more of the Covid effect than is really the case . The more likely scenario is that Venkys are suffering globally and have put up the shutters on further spending at the football club they barely care about . It’s convenient a bit like hiding behind FFP in the past.

To put in context I bet match day income for a season would barely cover the salaries of our top 2 earners .To think we are paying Mulgrew a third of our total match day revenue ( including STs) and he hadn’t played for months . 
For this reason I can’t really buy the Waggott spiel . If my numbers are correct we are even paying him 10% of our total match day and ST income !!

If Venkys are as wealthy as we have been led to believe ( admittedly before Covid came along) then this would be the year to blow the doors off and go for it whilst everyone else is struggling . This could be a god given chance to get to the PL and really eat into their debt but appear not interested in seizing it .

• Like 2

Sharpe: Things might be about to get interesting... #Rovers working on a deal for 21-year-old goalkeeper Antonis Stergiakis from Bulgarian side Slavia Sofia.

Edit: bloody hell Chaddy, it said Sharpe’s tweet was only 30 seconds young haha.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TBTF said:

It’s strange given that ST income represents a relatively small part of the income contribution to us. If total match income reaches £3m a year then I think that’s about as good as it gets . Take off match day costs which we haven’t had either and maybe not playing has cost us about £1.5m a season when both are taken into account . 
The point I am making if I’ve got this right is that in the scheme of £18m losses every season it fairly minor . Hence I think Waggott and by definition Venkys may be making more of the Covid effect than is really the case . The more likely scenario is that Venkys are suffering globally and have put up the shutters on further spending at the football club they barely care about . It’s convenient a bit like hiding behind FFP in the past.

To put in context I bet match day income for a season would barely cover the salaries of our top 2 earners .To think we are paying Mulgrew a third of our total match day revenue ( including STs) and he hadn’t played for months . 
For this reason I can’t really buy the Waggott spiel . If my numbers are correct we are even paying him 10% of our total match day and ST income !!

If Venkys are as wealthy as we have been led to believe ( admittedly before Covid came along) then this would be the year to blow the doors off and go for it whilst everyone else is struggling . This could be a god given chance to get to the PL and really eat into their debt but appear not interested in seizing it .

Cracking post. Nailed it.

(Or is it the manager that isn't that interested in seizing it? I notice the other day there was a headline to the effect that TM didn't want to ask the owners for more money for a LB in the current climate)