BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All this talk of Wilder, don't forget he signed Rhian Brewster for £23 million pounds. We signed Shearer, Sutton, Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy , Yorke and Cole for less than 1 Rhian Brewster. Game is gone! 

He was also sacked after it became clear he was very much a 1 trick pony, the premiership worked him out and now Sheff Utd are bottom of the Championship, but they did make a profit last season for the first time in over a decade, Venkys would love that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the old theory runs true, you finish where you deserve to finish across the course of a season. Last season was 46 games long, not 17 games, and we finished 15th deservedly. Which was a frustrating regression on what went prior, and there was enough evidence in that to sack the manager.

Equally, Mowbray could point toward us being quite badly affected by Covid at one point, but those were just excuses too

The pressure comment is something I worry about this season. Devoid of experience and leadership.

Yeah I think that to a large extent I agree with you end up where you deserve, albeit not completely. I think what/how other teams perform does play a part in it. For example it was a great Premier League win by Leicester however it was aided by the fact most of the "big 6" were a bit of a shambles. So circumstances I think do play a part, if not enough to excuse things.

I think my second reflection on this would be I'd say I perhaps I am thinking more in terms of a near miss in a car crash - most of the journey might have been ok but there was one dangerous incident where we nearly had an accident. For me, the 17 game streak was a little like that, it was a near miss. It was relegation form, and had it occurred a bit earlier in the season so we, or rather other teams, didn't run out of games or on the back of a good start I'm not sure it would have been a miss. 

As for Covid we had some issues but nowhere near the scale of the other two clubs imo. 

The pressure thing is a huge worry and with that the experience to manage games. Both seem to be hugely lacking. 

If anyone fancies something transfer related that might cheer you up (as opposed for the “how quick to worst case scenario” chat);

1 year on from signing someone I’d never heard of, for a nominal fee. Proven to be some of the best business the clubs done in years.

(Cue - “he’ll be going on a free then “)

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Gav said:

He was also sacked after it became clear he was very much a 1 trick pony, the premiership worked him out and now Sheff Utd are bottom of the Championship, but they did make a profit last season for the first time in over a decade, Venkys would love that.

Ah ya, he definitely did well there to a point, but there would be question marks for me. Strikes me as one of those ones where because he's local and a supporter, he exceeds what would be expected. I think there are other managers out there who have done it more widely in their careers 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

The contract situation is worrying but we can't put a blank piece of paper in front of the players and tell them to write down a number and we just agree to it . According to Waggott Lenihen and Brererton are close to new deals.Rothwell and Nyambe may want to leave due to footballing reasons, both in and out of the team under Mowbray and Nyambe in particular been thrown under the bus a few times by the manager.

If it is the case that Rothwell and Nyambe won't sign new deals then we should sell them now whilst we can. Both will be missed but we have enough to stay in the championship.

We aren't in any sort of financial position to let valuable assets leave for nothing next summer, you could prob get around £5million for the two.

The worry then is Lenihan and Brereton are blowing smoke and decide they want out for free at the end of the season, another £5 to 10 million vanished.

I would rather raise the bar and sign them up, they are proven first team players and young enough to be sold on at a later date. It is basic football administration that the non-existent Waggot should be doing day in day out, the guy is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We definitely need 4 or 5 more players, so whilst this initially is a worry, there are a few on there that certainly are not

Say we bring in a left back, a centre back, a striker and an attacking midfielder, whether that is another wide man or a goalscoring midfielder from the middle. 2 would be registered automatically to take us up to 25. Then you have decisions to make.

Magloire looks a million miles off a Championship player, short term we will have Lenihan, Ayala, Carter and hopefully a new centre back, with Wharton to return in a couple of months. Even long term, with 2 prospects looking well ahead of him, he should be allowed to move on permanently and forge a career in the lower leagues, so that is 3 spaces. Stergiakis doesnt need registering either, he doesnt make the bench in the absence of Pears with Eastham preferred, so he should be loaned out rather than taking up a place as an untested fourth choice keeper. So there are your 4.

Even beyond that, Butterworth could potentially be loaned out to get regular game time if we got a couple more across the front line.

We need to sort out Pears and whether he will be fit for the 1st half of the season. 

I expected Chapman and Maglorie. Maglorie will sign a new contract before he loaned again. Chapman should have never been re signed. 

Butterworth and Vale need a loan out for me. 

The next 2 signings need to left back and Permanent striker. They are of plenty of Strikers will can sign and should have been scouting

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think West Broms football is much more entertaining than many teams. Take 2 examples, West Brom constantly have the ball in the box, so many chances, could have had 6 or 7. Constantly in your face, high pressing, full of energy. Or say a Swansea with their "principles" passing it out and obsessed with possession. Give me West Brom every day. Suppose it is personal preference.

Not a fan of West Brom approach but I like that Ismael has selected his tactics to suit his players he has in his squad. 

16 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Really hope this doesn’t force Carter out on loan. He needs to be in and around the first team.

why would it but we have Ayala who is injury probe and Wharton returning from Injury, So another centre back coming in as to be possible But would prefer someone who can play left back so you are covering 2 position with 1 signing

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gav said:

With the smallest squad in Blackburn Rovers recent history Mike, ask yourself, does that ring true to you?

I've personally read Mowbray asking for contract extensions for players in the Lancashire Telegraph on more than one occasion, desperate stuff, but its clear they're turned the tap off and players will walk as a result, what a business model eh.....

Paul Lambert wanted to use some of the Rhodes money (9m) to bring in new recruits and sign 4/5 players to new contracts, all refused by Venkys, this isn't anything new, its been going on for years and he walked away.

In the past 18 months we've sold around £20m worth of assets, depending on which newspaper you read and we can't sign players to contracts? 

Venkys out

It doesn't have to ring true if it is true.

Venkys don't scrimp on money unless the rules tell them to (FFP etc). The exceptions have been when they intend to replace a manager.

Happened with Bowyer. Happened with Lambert (as you mention). I believe it's happening with Mowbray too.

However, from as close to the horse's mouth as you can get, Venkys' haven't even been asked about contract extensions beyond those with 'trigger' options.

37 minutes ago, roverblue said:

If it is the case that Rothwell and Nyambe won't sign new deals then we should sell them now whilst we can. Both will be missed but we have enough to stay in the championship.

We aren't in any sort of financial position to let valuable assets leave for nothing next summer, you could prob get around £5million for the two.

The worry then is Lenihan and Brereton are blowing smoke and decide they want out for free at the end of the season, another £5 to 10 million vanished.

I would rather raise the bar and sign them up, they are proven first team players and young enough to be sold on at a later date. It is basic football administration that the non-existent Waggot should be doing day in day out, the guy is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

We will get money for Nyambe regardless if he runs his deal down as it will go to tribunal.

What will we get for Rothwell?I'd say it wouldn't be very much so probably best keeping for the season unless we were to get decent money 

Carter will go on loan and so he should. He's going to be 3rd choice here and I'd rather him play a full season at a team in Burton who's fans and staff love him every single week for another season and develop. He's wasted sitting on our bench when we could bring in someone else's player for a season to sit on our bench behind Ayala for half the year. 

The bit that's baffling is why anyone would let us loan one of their centre-backs when he's probably not going to play, but if someone does, happy day.

9 hours ago, JBiz said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58250280

Inks not even dry.

I mean, I know it’s not exactly going into a season with the confidence and expectations we should be, but why make things up, and assume things will be always worse case scenario?

Because I've learned by experience!! You don't think Venkys/Mowbray/Waggot decision-making should not be looked at with pessimism?

Where have you been?

Its not as if clear examples aren't staring you in the face---Raya,Nyambe,Rothwell---all handled badly by Mowbray--1 gone, 2 to go.

Carter looks a good prospect---if he's treated as badly as others have been, its hardly projecting wildly to think he'll be off.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All this talk of Wilder, don't forget he signed Rhian Brewster for £23 million pounds. We signed Shearer, Sutton, Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy , Yorke and Cole for less than 1 Rhian Brewster. Game is gone! 

In hindsight Brewster turned out to be a poor signing but at the time he was signed he was a coveted player and Liverpool insisted a buy back Clause was put into his contract.

They made a profit on Ramsdale who was another big buy.

Wilders second season in the prem was a disaster but injuries to key players played it's part particularly O'Connell who was probably their most important player with the way they play . Terrible second season but what Wilder did at Sheffield United on the whole was exceptional and that shouldn't be forgotten about, prior to taking the Sheffield United he had done well 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnGo said:

Is it in your fantasy that Carter wants away. I’ve not seen anything to suggest he wants a move. He’ll be here for the full season.

If you had read it properly you would have seen I was making a hypothethsis--that's different than a fantasy.

If I was fantasising it wouldn't involve Carter!

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

He's just signed a new contract, not really the actions of soneone who wants out I would suggest

Another one who's misread my post. Here's a clue--- its about signing young loan players and keeping our own out and the potential repercussions of that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Carter will go on loan and so he should. He's going to be 3rd choice here and I'd rather him play a full season at a team in Burton who's fans and staff love him every single week for another season and develop. He's wasted sitting on our bench when we could bring in someone else's player for a season to sit on our bench behind Ayala for half the year. 

The bit that's baffling is why anyone would let us loan one of their centre-backs when he's probably not going to play, but if someone does, happy day.

I don't get this. He came in late last season when injuries gave Mowbray no choice, looked every bit the part. Now instead of developing him, we should bring some kids in from the EPL and send him away again? At a time when we are broke?

Makes no sense especially when injuries are inevitable in that position.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally think Carter is better than Lenihan and Wharton better than Lenihan and Ayala.

I'd be keeping Carter to partner with Wharton when back fit as I think we'd concede a lot less goals.

I'm not sure I'd go that far yet but if we are to have 4 centre-backs, I absolutely agree that that's the four we should have.

Why should be pay out to develop the likes of Branthwaite? Not as good as our own.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Given that Carter has performed well, Ayala has a chronic injury record and Lenihan also has a significant injury record it seems to me that Carter will get a lot of game time.

On top of that switching to 352 seems to be a core tactic for us (and one that is working well, if only early days) and Carter is well suited to left sided in a three so I can see him getting games there. 

Can't see the sense in sending him out on loan? He should get 20 games easily. Even with the loans coming in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I would take the 2 x promotion one trick pony any day of the week! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far yet but if we are to have 4 centre-backs, I absolutely agree that that's the four we should have.

Why should be pay out to develop the likes of Branthwaite? Not as good as our own.

I would keep Carter myself but I can also see the benefits of Carter playing every single week if he was to go on loan.

This guy from Brighton will be back up, we won't be guaranteeing him a starting place.

Ayala and Lenihen will be Mowbrays preferred 2 and when Wharton Is fit that could put Carter as potentially fourth choice centre back and possibly third choice at right back when Costello Is fit as Tm likes to play him at full back even though I don't agree with that 

30 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally think Carter is better than Lenihan and Wharton better than Lenihan and Ayala.

I'd be keeping Carter to partner with Wharton when back fit as I think we'd concede a lot less goals.

Very harsh on Lenihan I think. He has the odd shocker, but generally solid. Probably one of our three dependable performers in Kaminski, Travis and him. 

If we lost Lenihan to sale or injury would be a very big loss for us I think.

• Like 7