BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

6 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think they overegged the pudding with the hardship stories at the end, but enjoyed the match and delighted with the result.

Agree, but how about some acknowledgement about how we were stiched up when ManUre decided to start a women's team!?

Not gonna happen. Those girls should still be wearing blue & white halves!

Still proud though - lovely to hear a "common as muck" interview from Ella. #oneofourown. We know what we are & we're proud of it!

• Like 2

Do you know what? I've a good mind to tweet Alex Scott about that , just to get her opinion, now that people actually care about women's football - it's obviously as corrupt as the men's , only cheaper!

(PS I'll have to sign up for Twitter first, does anyone know how that shit works? πŸ˜†)

Absolutely delighted. IT CAME HOME!

What a fantastic tournament it's been, chuffed that so many people have seen how far it's come on in the last 10-15 years - genuinely entertaining games of graft and physicality with loads of skill and passion.

Tugay wears Keira Walsh pyjamas, and if we had Mary Earps in goal instead of Jason Steele we probably wouldn't have gone down.

This is the beginning of a new era in the women's game, really excited to see how good it's going to get.

Thousands of young girls can wake up today dreaming about being superstar footballers, just like we all did.

Next step imo - get the club teams to play at the same grounds as the men.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Absolutely delighted. IT CAME HOME!

What a fantastic tournament it's been, chuffed that so many people have seen how far it's come on in the last 10-15 years - genuinely entertaining games of graft and physicality with loads of skill and passion.

Tugay wears Keira Walsh pyjamas, and if we had Mary Earps in goal instead of Jason Steele we probably wouldn't have gone down.

This is the beginning of a new era in the women's game, really excited to see how good it's going to get.

Thousands of young girls can wake up today dreaming about being superstar footballers, just like we all did.

Yeah i got my 2 daughters to watch it in hope it would inspire them to get into footy but alas, it seems to have failed.Β 

As my daughter plays, I'm a big advocate for Ladies/Girls football so literally spent all yesterday afternoon watching Women's football with her having their first pre-season friendly.

She plays for Lostock Hall St Gerard's Ladies. The club has being going since 1947 but this year have formed their first ever Ladies team. If there's any of you know someone in the surrounding areas (or further afield if you want to travel) who fancies getting involved, either get in touch with them, or PM me & I'll put you in contact with the right people. There's some really good pictures from yesterday linked on their FB page - ok the result wasn't the best, but most of these girls have only know each other for a few weeks (a few used to play together at Euxton Girls)

https://www.facebook.com/LSGFC/

I'm sure she won't mind me putting a pic of of her celebrating a goal after playing a perfect through ball for the assist!

LHSGW.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

One thing that irks me is why the women have to keep comparing themselves with the men. Why can't we just say England have finally won a tournament since 66. Doesn't matter about sex.Β  They're representing England, men or women

It does feel like some quarters (especially people I see who I'm sure aren't usually into football) are using it for gender oneupmanship (oneupwomanship) rather than just celebrating the fine achievement in it's own right.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I enjoyed last night but for me it’s being tainted by the media pushing this β€œending decades of hurt” narrative - it doesn’t in the slightest and won’t until England (mens) win a major competition. Just as it wouldn’t redeem Rovers if their ladies won the women’s prem and/or women's FA cup.

I hope the women's team go on to dominate the field for years, but leave them to celebrate achievements within their respective field. If they’re still so desperate for comparisons with the mens league put them in the north west counties division two and see if they can get out of it.Β 

This.

It irks me when you hear things like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "And she's just drawn level with Wayne Rooney in the England scoring charts".

No. She. Fucking. Hasn't.

Also, I am almost certain I heard one of the commentators at one point say "The last thing we need is to be reduced to ten men" and I am 100% certain she also said "England needs a hero here".

None of this should diminish their achievement.

Β 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I enjoyed last night but for me it’s being tainted by the media pushing this β€œending decades of hurt” narrative - it doesn’t in the slightest and won’t until England (mens) win a major competition. Just as it wouldn’t redeem Rovers if their ladies won the women’s prem and/or women's FA cup.

I hope the women's team go on to dominate the field for years, but leave them to celebrate achievements within their respective field. If they’re still so desperate for comparisons with the mens league put them in the north west counties division two and see if they can get out of it.Β 

You have a point.Β  Was disappointed there were no celebrations on the streets and no one waving flags. If it had been the men's team there would have been carks honking horns and flag waving.Β Β 

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

You have a point.Β  Was disappointed there were no celebrations on the streets and no one waving flags. If it had been the men's team there would have been carks honking horns and flag waving.Β Β 

Maybe all the blokes were watching the slow motion replay of the winning goal celebration on a loop?

• Like 2

Yeah it doesn’t help when you have men putting the sport down and women boasting about doing what the men can’t etc.

Ive seen alsorts of petty things from men I.e putting three irons on a shirt and I’ve heard countless women saying doing what the men can’t, even the commentators said what can the men learn from this. The answer is nothing . Just celebrate the win.

Men, women , we all come together under one badge and back our country regardless of sex and I was as proud yesterday as I would be if the men won but the games need to stop being compared and just enjoyed for what they are and that’s for both genders

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Yeah it doesn’t help when you have men putting the sport down and women boasting about doing what the men can’t etc.

Ive seen alsorts of petty things from men I.e putting three irons on a shirt and I’ve heard countless women saying doing what the men can’t, even the commentators said what can the men learn from this. The answer is nothing . Just celebrate the win.

Men, women , we all come together under one badge and back our country regardless of sex and I was as proud yesterday as I would be if the men won but the games need to stop being compared and just enjoyed for what they are and that’s for both genders

For me it’s like comparing rugby league and rugby union. Both very similar codes that I find interesting but they are different in their own ways.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 hours ago, roverandout said:

One thing that irks me is why the women have to keep comparing themselves with the men. Why can't we just say England have finally won a tournament since 66. Doesn't matter about sex.Β  They're representing England, men or women

Given that it was a decision by men to ban them from playing football from the 1920s until the 1970s (and men still regularly shit on women's football), I've no problem with them giving us a bit back.

Because of men, women's football in England is barely 50 years old when it should be twice that age.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Given that it was a decision by men to ban them from playing football from the 1920s until the 1970s (and men still regularly shit on women's football), I've no problem with them giving us a bit back.

Because of men, women's football in England is barely 50 years old when it should be twice that age.

You can’t move forward if you hold onto the past

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

You can’t move forward if you hold onto the past

I don't think we're holding onto it as such. I think women have just had their cathartic 'fuck you' to the men's game, and hopefully can blossom as a sport in their own right now.

It also needs the chauvinists to stfu, and enjoy the sport for what it is.

• Like 3

Fair play to them. They did well and I’m glad they won. It’s a magnificent achievement for them.Β 

Fair play to the Under-19s who have won the euros twice recently. It’s a magnificent achievement for them. I’m glad they won.

The fact is if eitherΒ had lost their finals I would have said β€œwhat a shame” and just forgotten about it. I don’t know why. That’s just the way it is.

When Italy beat the men last year I was disappointed that night.Β However that feeling was nothing compared to feeling of significant Rovers losses.

If I was one of those people who would rather England won a world cup than Rovers got promoted, then maybe my love for England would get me more excited about what the women did yesterday. But as it is I’m glad they won, just as I’m glad if someone from GBR wins a gold at the olympics.

Β 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, matt83 said:

It does end decades of hurt though. For the women's team, who had never won a major tournament. And also for England as a footballing nation, who haven't won anything since '66. What it doesn't do whatsoever is end decades of hurt for the England men's team. Hopefully that gets put right in Qatar (although in a way that would be bittersweet, as the fact it's being held in Qatar under the circumstances is an absolute stain on the game).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Β 

I admire your optimism, but on checking, I found that the current average attendance in the WSL isΒ around 2,200.Β In the Championship, the average attendance is 410.

I'm sure there will be an improvement following the tremendous success this weekend but the game as it stands has been funded massively over recent years but they are some way off stadiums for club matches.

• Like 1

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

All this .

provocative posts like this make it even more devisive and turn it into men v women rather than just football

C'mon it's jokes from both sides. 3 irons on the shirt - women doing what men can't. Or does banter stop cos it's womens football?Β 

• Like 1