BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I've always thought Southgate has got more out of the sum of the squads parts. But last 12 months started thinking thats no longer the case.

Today some major tactical errors. Our offensive players saw very little of the ball. Italy should have won by more. Team didn't look motivated. Tried some changes which gave us a brief offensive boost, but more fragile defensively. Didn't have a single period of dominance against Italy who - while European champions - didn't qualify for the world cup, and just lost 5-0 against Germany.

Hmmm.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Just organise friendlies against top sides then, no? Which to be fair to the FA, they largely were doing in the couple of years before the NL was set up.

So whatโ€™s the problem with it then if the solution is to organise these games anyway?

What it does do is give other European countries a shot at some success they might not normally get. If Hungary were to win the finals next summer, do you think theyโ€™d see it as forgettable. If Israel or Montenegro win in group B and get promoted to Group A, they will see that as some success and progress. ย International football Iis not all about the European superpowers winning the Euros and Worlds.

Itโ€™s also a simple format to follow. I just donโ€™t see the problem with it.
ย 

Edited by Hasta

Although Le Saux talked shite he was right to point out Southgate's poor system of 3 at the back with no one feeding creative players. Why was King on the field? Popes distribution did nothing. Sterling's had it. Walker played like he's had a few beers.ย 

C4 doesn't have the experience to cover football. Ok they need to show adverts for revenue but there she goes again with "more reaction after the break".ย 

Two final thoughts:

1) Don't show football on C4 ever again

2) Sack Southgate

Edited by Cherry Blue
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

So whatโ€™s the problem with it then if the solution is to organise these games anyway?

What it does do is give other European countries a shot at some success they might not normally get. If Hungary were to win the finals next summer, do you think theyโ€™d see it as forgettable. If Israel or Montenegro win in group B and get promoted to Group A, they will see that as some success and progress. ย International football Iis not all about the European superpowers winning the Euros and Worlds.

ย 

International football has been based on tournament football for nearly a 100 years. Just the way it is and inventing a โ€˜leagueโ€™ in 2016 isnโ€™t going to change that.ย 

Iโ€™d personally only have tournaments and their qualifiers, plus tournament warm up games. All in one block of fixtures and not a constant break up of the season.

Though as I largely donโ€™t give a shite about international football anyway. (I.รจ Iโ€™d probably choose Rovers winning next Saturday then England win the WC), Iโ€™m probably not the target market and Iโ€™ll leave you NL fanboys to itย ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Although Le Saux talked shite he was right to point out Southgate's system of 3 at the back with no one feeding creative players is right. Why was King on the field? Popes distribution did nothing. Sterling's had it. Walker played like he's had a few beers.ย 

C4 doesn't have the experience to cover football. Ok they need to show adverts for revenue but there she goes again with "more reaction after the break".ย 

Two final thoughts:

1) Don't show football on C4 ever again

2) Sack Southgate

I think walker was unfit as he's only just come back from injuryย 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

When was the last time we had a good tactical manager? Hoddle?

Thought Southgate has generally been tactically very good for most of his time. We had a weak squad in 2018 and a decent but patchy squad in 2021 but got to the semis and final and looked competitive even when we went out. Totally tactically did the Germans in 2021.

But he's all at sea at the moment, and with a very good set of playersย 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hasta said:

ย 

Because in an already congested season, games in the domestic leagues are being postponed.ย 

Edited by rigger

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he only got the job because he`s never likely to say or do anything remotely controversial,a perfect fa appointment,look at the history of who did`nt get the job despite being the best candidate

To be fair he is the most successful England manager since Alf Ramsey. I know there's a lot of soft draw chat etc, but he made a semi and a final in back to back tournaments and no one has got remotely near that in 50 years.

I have a vague hope that he'll find a the right setup in the next 50 days. Looks a bit fanciful though atm.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Though as I largely donโ€™t give a shite about international football anyway. (I.รจ Iโ€™d probably choose Rovers winning next Saturday then England win the WC), Iโ€™m probably not the target market and Iโ€™ll leave you NL fanboys to ifย ๐Ÿ˜

I started a post earlier with โ€˜accepting that there will be an international breakโ€™.

If you were arguing to never cancel domestic weekend football, and just play the odd international on a Wednesday night then hell yeah. Iโ€™d be all for that.

ย 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Because in an already congested season, games in the domestic leagues are being postponed.ย 

Iโ€™ve already said Iโ€™d rather not have international breaks and continue the domestic season. But IF we are to have international breaks, Iโ€™d rather this than friendlies.ย 

Didn't watched the game but from what I read about it, it's wasn't our beat game but I wouldn't be playing 3-4-3 but go back to playing 4-2-3-1 with 3-5-2 as plan B. I know what my starting 11 would be right now

ย 

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Youโ€™ve missed the point. The nations league isnโ€™t intended to compete with the World Cup, itโ€™s designed to produce games that have more significance than friendlies, which it does.

No I didn't missed the point at all. The Nations League is shite and need scraping asap. Another pointless effort from UEFA. Just have fewer international games and breaks in the season.ย 

• Like 1