BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

He’s liked a few others where people have said they ‘love your commitment, unlike some…’ won’t be keeping his opinion to himself won’t Trav!

Yep. As you would be as a team mate. 

It will be painful for Rothwell to go back to the squad on Monday. If he even does. You can imagine the likes of Trav will be all over him. You do not abandon your team mates and down tools, least not in the position you are in 

We need to replace him but being honest if he’s going to play at 60% for fear of injury then he’s useless to us now anyway. It’s a shame that impression has been given, I’ve always liked Joe, and this whole situation is leaving a real sour taste on an otherwise good time for him at the club 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

I agree. If he stays and plays well to the end of the season, more clubs would be interested in him given they could get him for free.

This would translate to a massive pay rise for him. Win-Win you would think.

Or he gets injured/his form dips and nobody comes in for him.

I had been frustrated about the situation but then in a moment of clarity thought, it’s Joe Rothwell ffs. I doubt most fans have even heard of him outside Rovers. Bring in two or three replacements by Monday and we’ll be better off without him. Bad timing but he’s shown his true colours. Get it over with and move on.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Johnson has been pretty anonymous in his two starts - Davenport is a better player at this stage of their careers.

As for the players - the further we've slipped down the football pyramid the more forgettable they've become for me. I became very attached to a lot of our Prem teams - this lot I'd sell at the right price (and replace 90% of them if we got promoted).

Probably not the right place for the debate but wow that's harsh on Bradley Johnson. 

• Like 9

I’ll be amazed if he does anything in the Prem - schoolyard dribbler who loses possession more often than not. Half his assists are set pieces, so he may not be taking those anyway.

But Brentford on Prem money can take five punts like this and, if one pays off and helps keep them up another year, they are still massively quids in.

But we didn’t complain when he screwed Oxford out of a much-needed fee.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, booth said:

Swift at Reading is the best CM in the league but whether we'd be able to afford him is another matter. I was surprised to see Reading fans saying he could go for as little as £2m. He's their top scorer and tops the assist chart for the championship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers/assists

Wow! He'd be great.  And improve our free kick taking top 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Johnson has been pretty anonymous in his two starts - Davenport is a better player at this stage of their careers.

As for the players - the further we've slipped down the football pyramid the more forgettable they've become for me. I became very attached to a lot of our Prem teams - this lot I'd sell at the right price (and replace 90% of them if we got promoted).

Johnson battled hard, and is great in the air. Davenport is very poor imo. 

Neither good enough for first team imo.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

In any other season since Rothwell has been here, we would all be wishing him well onwards to a PL team for (£6m), offering to 4x his salary etc. Like we were with Armstrong. 

Him "choosing" to do it now, will cement his (short/medium) legacy as a potential villain (unless we get promoted).

*I say "choosing" as clearly he hasn't been wonderfully treated for the duration of his contract here, and it is pure mismanagement to allow him to be so close to expiring.

However the truth is he could have a contract till 2024 and Brentford could be offering £6m, and I bet he would still be making the same stink. 

Shame... If (Rothwell) can't choose to get his head down when your team/mates/club/fans are 3 points clear of 3rd with 1/3 of a season to go and best chance in a decade to get back up... well, good riddance to you.

But he has been one of our most inconsistent players hence why he had been in and out of the team 

Can't pretend I'm anything but gutted about this situation. The timing of it is the main reason but also I think Rothwell is class. Doesn't matter what he's done in previous seasons, it matters what he has done this season, the biggest season for a decade.

He's fits the system perfect, he's not as inconsistent as some are trying to make out. Would teams be in for him if he was? He's 27 and is entering his prime and of course he could play in the Premier League. Easy to rewrite history but plenty of players that moved to the premier League or were promoted to it at his age and became main stays.

Can't let my football opinion of Rotherll cloud my personal opinion, it's bad form. It's shady and leaves a bad taste. I know it isn't as easy as this but crazy a team want you now but might not in 4 months for free. Surely a verbal agreement can be made. 

Finally it's crazy when footballers "heads go" when linked with a move. Play a fuckin game of football, you're form shouldn't dip immediately. I give everything(which isn't much these days) I have on a Friday night playing 6 a side no matter what going on in my life. I don't say "was a bit off it today, boss was onto me or missus been on my back". Alot of excuses and bs accepted from people these days. 

Good night world 🙄😴.

• Like 4

Bradley Dack can play Rothwell's role with a better range of passing and a better eye for goal. Had his first good season since he's been here and he thinks he's big time. Get him gone he's not more important than the club. Can't afford to keep him around the team and have him tainting the rest of the squad with this kind of attitude.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Commondore said:

I don't see how this even makes sense from Rothwell's pov, if he's decided he wants to leave he'd surely be in a much better position after the season when his contract is up? Is he that afraid of breaking a leg in the remaining 15 games?

Yeah if you were his advisor that’s exactly what you’d be saying. ”What if you get hurt and I miss out on my cut of your massive pay raise!”

10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Dack even when fit is nothing like Rothwell in his style of play, I know he's been out for a while but still 🤣

If fit I’d guess Dack would play the false 9 and Buckley playing deeper. But let’s face it Dack won’t be in contention until March at best. 

Apologies, to repeat myself but the club and management have only themselves to blame. I see Rothwell's possible departure as potentially damaging promotion prospects - barring a great, late signing. We're struggling for goals and rely heavily on Rothwell to create.

There was always the risk Rothwell would leave or get injured. Back in the summer, we let go Holtby, Trybull, Evans and lost Elliot. (Holtby went on paid leave at the end of last season as a favour from Mowbray, to avoid injury to help with his next move, apparently. I could see Rothwell and other potential departees citing that favour in his right  safeguard his future - though Holtby was reaching the end of his career).

We needed a new CM or, for Mowbray to nurture Garrett or another from the U23s to add competition. Instead, we signed Clarkson on loan and mainly played him AM, relied on Johnson as back-up and didn't promote internally.

Now, we face losing Rothwell and a possible panic buy, or relying on Johnson for the rest of the season. I suppose there may be a remote chance that Hedges will be moulded as a CM.

Letting Rothwell's contract run down to the last year was potentially poor planning. Having Johnson as his deputy  definitely was, given his age and mobility, albeit, he is good in the air and experienced.

I wouldn't panic about a potential loss of Rothwell, though. We have a lot of attackers when fit. However, he adds that dimension that can relieve pressure and also break down a team defending deep. The emphasis really shifts to Buckley and, possibly, playing him deeper - and Mowbray re-jigging the team.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 6