BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 19/1/22

13 minutes ago, Butty said:

Edun wasn’t great first half at all but I thought in the second half he was our best player. Not that that’s saying much. 

I thought the same. I think he's slowly improving but not at Pickering levels yet, he too had a fairly slow start though in fairness.

I think people are being a bit harsh on JRC, he would have been given a few more games for the u23s but for Nyambe being suspended. The lad is bound to be rusty. We DO need to start creating more via the wings though one way or another....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Poor refereeing first and foremost, 2 terrible decisions. If we had VAR both would have been corrected, but people don't seem to be keen on that idea.

But I always think that there is little to be gained from focusing too much on the referee, I am much more worried with certain cracks that are appearing. Mowbray has managed to get the team playing more than the sum of its parts in the last couple of months, consistent selections amidst tactics and a formation that has worked perfectly, but there have been signs of weakness in recent games and as soon as you get beyond that first 11, the team becomes massively weakened.

Gallagher is an absolute donkey, why he got a new deal is beyond me and his inclusion also upset the balance, Khadra was poor and didn't suit that role and we have seen how reliant we are on Brereton's goals, it is similar to last year with Armstrong, the supporting cast don't get enough. We have lots of attackers that I would consider to be ill suited to being paired with a similar partner from the same group; Dolan, Butterworth, Khadra and Markanday, with Gallagher being a donkey leaving only Brereton as a slightly more physical, regular goalscorer. We badly need another striker before the window that fits into the way we play and can play either with or without Brereton, perhaps as the right sided striker, that can offer a serious goal threat.

Rankin Costello was beyond poor, understandably rusty but I don't think that he is particularly good to begin with, he seems to have a reputation as an attacking full/wing back from nowhere really. It isn't a major worry in that Nyambe can come back in on Monday and we also have Zeefuik ahead of Rankin Costello. Edun is also nowhere near the standard of Pickering and it just shows that there is a drop off past that first 11. There has been talk of Buckley developing to be a deeper midfielder, it did not suit him at all yesterday.

The subs were weird choices, I can only presume it was to add physicality but it seemed a strange choice.

A really important game on Monday. Nyambe has to come back in for Rankin Costello, Travis has to come in (or Davenport if he doesn't recover in time) to replace Gallagher. The big worry is up front, without Brereton, who will score? I would start Markanday, possibly with Khadra but that doesn't seem like it is well balanced.

Starting Markanday will make a short team shorter. Just saying.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Carter to play right wing back?

I think he would have done a better job than JRC, as would Zeefuik. I often wonder if Mowbray goes to U23 games. If he did he would have seen that JRC is nowhere near starting at first team level.

50 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

So we had a perfectly good and fit cover at rb in carter but instead of loaning out our one that’s just coming back from a long lay off we loan out our decent cover , honestly 

He didn't look ready when he played right back against WBA

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think he would have done a better job than JRC, as would Zeefuik. I often wonder if Mowbray goes to U23 games. If he did he would have seen that JRC is nowhere near starting at first team level.

I believe Mowbray or someone on the coaching staff attend the under23 games

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Most are suggesting lenihan which I don’t see myself , or you know change formation to fit what we had available 

I would play Lenihan at right back in a back 4 but not as wing back if needs must. But he is centre back and he is playing well there 

I was in favour changing formation yesterday 60 mins into the game. We need an extra midfielder on

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would play Lenihan at right back in a back 4 but not as wing back if needs must. But he is centre back and he is playing well there 

I was in favour changing formation yesterday 60 mins into the game. We need an extra midfielder on

Well I would play carter in a back 4 and let our wingers be wingers 

kaminski

rb- carter

cb- lenihan

cb- ayala

lb- edun

cdm- davenport

am- rothwell

am- buckley

lw- khadra

rw- markanday

cf- brereton

is the team and formation I would’ve went with last night 

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

kaminski

rb- carter

cb- lenihan

cb- ayala

lb- edun

cdm- davenport

am- rothwell

am- buckley

lw- khadra

rw- markanday

cf- brereton

Carter’s been at Portsmouth since last week.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Carter’s been at Portsmouth since last week.

Yea as I said earlier though I think it’s madness we let him leave when he can fill in at both rb and cb. Let jrc out on loan to get back up to speed. Basically if we defended the wings as defenders, let Davenport sit on honeyman and our two best physical defenders/ headerers to deal with eaves who have we then got to worry about, Smallwood? Let our attackers and wingers to worry about attacking and win us the game 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

kaminski

rb- carter

cb- lenihan

cb- ayala

lb- edun

cdm- davenport

am- rothwell

am- buckley

lw- khadra

rw- markanday

cf- brereton

You would have ripped up a style that has coincided with an unbelievable run and dropped 2 key players in that run in Van Hecke and Wharton? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

kaminski, rb- carter, cb- lenihan, cb- ayala, lb- edun, cdm- davenport, am- rothwell, am- buckley, lw- khadra, rw- markanday, cf- brereton

Fair enough. 

I posted a team on here before the game based on Mowbray pre match comments and press conference. 

This the team I would gone for 

Kaminski

Lenihan Van Hecke Wharton

Zeefuik Buckley Davenport Rothwell Edun

Gallagher Brereton

I said yesterday I would gone for Gallagher in my pre match comments but looking back I was wrong for suggesting that. Gallagher was awful yesterday

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You would have ripped up a style that has coincided with an unbelievable run and dropped 2 key players in that run in Van Hecke and Wharton? 

Need to have more than one style/formation , we instead moved players to accommodate staying the same and it didn’t work. Completely lost the midfield 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Need to have more than one style/formation , we instead moved players to accommodate staying the same and it didn’t work. Completely lost the midfield 

A more obvious change to retain the balance that has been critical to our excellent form would have been Davenport/Johnson for Travis.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Well, we didn’t stay the same did we…. We replaced our combative midfielder with a ‘striker’ (don’t actually know what he is), totally exposing our two best players. No wonder we lost the midfield, we only had two players in it… and neither of them are naturally defensively minded. 

Absurd decision from the manager and one he needs to learn from really, really quickly if we’re to keep pace this season. 

• Like 8