BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 19/1/22

10 hours ago, rigger said:

After a bad game, we have got to look for any fom of positives. The only two I can see are, we now know JRC and Gallagher are not  of the required quality to be starters. Let's just hope Mowbray sees that.

He hasn't yet.

Since the actual big prize has emerged as a real chance, the tinkering had stopped entirely, which tells me that half of it in previous seasons was because there was no pressure; none on him, none on his job, none to sell players, no real possibility of going up or down.

Last night was partially enforced, though there could and should have been more like for like changes made, but hopefully it will have now been rammed home to him that unless he’s no choice due to large amounts of players being unavailable, stick with the personnel and system as there ain’t much else there behind that fist XI…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Everything's pretty clear now for me.

1) If we're to have any chance of the play offs TM has to stick with what has worked well for us this season and not get too cute.  If someone is missing replace like for like but otherwise keep changes to a minimum I.e. Davenport for Travis was all that was required tonight.

2) JRC , Johnson and Gallagher (especially) must never ever feature again.

Then, we might have a chance.

If he did any if that he wouldn't be ToMo.

8 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Yeh, so I think the confusing bit was Mowbray's decision to change a highly successful shape to the complete detriment of our own team, not that nobody could recognise what was going on. 

I have already said that the change of formation was wrong last night. 

But the poster said the formation was confusing which it isn't confusing and in fact alot of championship teams use like QPR

7 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I believe I heard the commentators right that we’ve fallen behind 8 times this season and only won one. The first goal under Mowbray has always seemed absolutely crucial and this great run has been no different.

We need a decent plan B for when we’re up against it.

Most teams when scored the first goal tend to win. 

Plan B should have been 4-3-3 formation

1 hour ago, neophox said:

WHEN WILL DACK BE BACK?? Seems he's been out for a longer time this time around?

I would say he is still weeks away cos he hasn't any match action 

Calm thinking (after a sleep) can allow me to think that was just an awful night at the office. So many things we already knew all came true with regards to a small squad - 

No way that first goal goes in as Travis tracks him if fit.

JRC with his injuries must be nursed in but desperation forced him in and he had a stinker.

Gallagher cannot play the wing and hopefully this game FINALLY ends the idea he can.

Added to that the ref got every major decision wrong and it all adds up to an awful night. Hopefully Boro are abit more expansive and allow our danger men in Khadra and Rothwell space to run at them and Trav and Nyambe to return.

There seem to be a lot of people out there who are frustrated with the referee and his decisions are attempting to reduce the blame or importance of those because Rovers had a poor night.

I can't agree with that.

Goals change games. 

If the Brereton penalty is given and scored everything can change including the sides performances. This is how promotion winning sides grind out results when not playing well so it really is unacceptable from the officials and it has to stop. I wish Mowbray would kick up more of a stink about it because otherwise, like the Boxing Day debacle, it gets swept under the carpet and on the show goes.

Mowbray admitted that he sent them out second half to get an early goal and that was obvious, but once Hull got through that first 5-10 minutes they took control again. 

If we go in at half time level or even ahead after the penalty Hull have to approach it differently and we are not under the same urgency to get a quick equaliser.

Those who shrug their shoulders at the referee and say it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things because we were poor miss the point- a major decision (probably a red card) at that stage in the game changes everything in our favour.

To not get either and then finish the night 4 nil up on bookings absolutely stinks but I'm used to such things now.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There seem to be a lot of people out there who are frustrated with the referee and his decisions are attempting to reduce the blame or importance of those because Rovers had a poor night.

I can't agree with that.

Goals change games. 

If the Brereton penalty is given and scored everything can change including the sides performances. This is how promotion winning sides grind out results when not playing well so it really is unacceptable from the officials and it has to stop. I wish Mowbray would kick up more of a stink about it because otherwise, like the Boxing Day debacle, it gets swept under the carpet and on the show goes.

Mowbray admitted that he sent them out second half to get an early goal and that was obvious, but once Hull got through that first 5-10 minutes they took control again. 

If we go in at half time level or even ahead after the penalty Hull have to approach it differently and we are not under the same urgency to get a quick equaliser.

Those who shrug their shoulders at the referee and say it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things because we were poor miss the point- a major decision (probably a red card) at that stage in the game changes everything in our favour.

To not get either and then finish the night 4 nil up on bookings absolutely stinks but I'm used to such things now.

Also results are about confidence and poor refereeing sucks confidence out of you. Players start to try too hard or misplace easy passes. They lose just a tiny bit of effectiveness, willingness to go into tackles etc if they feel nothing will go their way. The opposition acquire confidence with every dodgy decision they get. Hull must have felt last night they could have sneaked an extra player on and the ref wouldn't have noticed and they played like they had that extra player. None of that excuses the fact that we were poor last night but it compounds it. When you feel you genuinely are playing 12 men, or even 14 since the assistants weren't actually assisting the ref in doing his job properly, it's hard to lift your game

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, USABlue said:

He hasn't yet.

Quite, on the contrary he's given Gallagher a new contract! He seems to think Gallagher can play anywhere.

My view is more "is there anywhere Gallagher can play?'

Surely he's a central striker or nothing? If we don't want to play one then he shouldn't play at all.

• Like 2

Hopefully last night shows those that have been saying how ineffective Travis has been what he brings to the team

He isnt Mr silky feet but he disrupts play he spots runs and is a general shithouse that the team missed last night

that first goal doesnt go in last night with Travis in the team as he spots the run and busts his balls to track him

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Quite, on the contrary he's given Gallagher a new contract! He seems to think Gallagher can play anywhere.

My view is more "is there anywhere Gallagher can play?'

Surely he's a central striker or nothing? If we don't want to play one then he shouldn't play at all.

I’m amazed he’s got a new contract. The original price tag has meant that whilst in the Championship he’s always got a place in the squad, and Rovers won’t let him go. No one is going to offer a decent fee for him. If only we had a decent forward to replace him.

• Like 1

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, cesus said:

Gallagher cannot play the wing and hopefully this game FINALLY ends the idea he can.

It's not the first time Gallagher has had an absolute mare in that position and sadly I very much doubt it will be the last. When it comes to Gallagher and RW Mowbray is a complete idiot who keeps trying the same thing over and over even though it never works.

• Like 6

We can talk about all night about wrong selections and wrong formations. However you can't play like the Harlem globe trotters every week. I blame that defeat wholly and solely on that disgraceful, cheating, biased ref. He had done his job properly then none of that selection or formation stuff would have mattered. We'd have been 1 each playing 10 men and gone on the win the game.

It keeps happening time after time. I'm sick of it. That complete tosser might have cost us promotion. And if he hasn't I'm sure another one of his idiot colleagues will.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

The ref was awful, I don't disagree but he hadn't started his horror show when honeyman scored. We started poorly, evaes bullied the ball in from a long punt and no one was tracking the runner from midfield and we are 1-0 down in the 1st 10 minutes.  We had chances to equalise Khadra's for example and unlike Hull we did not take them.  If we had started better and not conceded then it would be a different story, regardless of the refs performance.

We were awful and Mowbray got giddy last night, but despite that, had the referee done his job properly we wouldn’t have lost 2-0 and Hull wouldn’t have played like there were no rules.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

His Dad (RIP) was Scottish. SG has played at youth level for both Scotland and, later, England although more recently I read he was trying to get back into the Jock camp.

South America - read and weep .....

I know Scotland aren’t great at the moment but they’re better than that. Gallagher wouldn’t get a game with Treasure Island  going off last nights performance. That could possibly be the worst performance by a Rovers centre forward ina long while.

9 minutes ago, booth said:

The thing that always throws Tony is when we have a fullback selection nightmare. And last night he had the massive headache of replacing Travis, so brainwave - he thought let’s change everything!

JRC shouldn’t have played. Ayala should have gone in the middle of defence, Lenihan at full back, Davenport for Travis, formation should have remained untouched. 

Having JRC and Gallagher on the right, and Rothwell and Buckley as a midfield pairing, was handing the game to them.

The more we all moan, the more I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar lineup/setup at home to Boro. He’s a real stubborn bloke.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The more we all moan, the more I wouldn’t be surprised to see a similar lineup/setup at home to Boro. He’s a real stubborn bloke.

Nyambe should be back at least, hopefully Travis too which would allow Buckley to return to his forward role, but Brereton is out so I expect more tinkering. I’ll be very surprised if Gallagher isn’t playing.

We could really do with signing a player who knows where the goal is today.

I know our performance and formation was crap last night. But for a second can we all just rage a little more at that tosser in the middle. I want to see him back in League 2 or lower, getting paid crap money for a month after that crooked, absolute barrel of shite last night. He doesn't have the intellect to be involved in professional sport. 

Gallagher gets a new deal and respondes by going missing. Could be excused if he was a young lad, not use to first team football but he isn't. If you're not playing very well work hard win the ball and win fouls do something. Show a bit of bite and desire. Dack is brilliant at this if he isn't having the best game, he gets stuck in and wins fouls all over the pitch. He affects the game however he can and puts himself about. I get he's being played out of position but Jesus, can you imagine us having him up top and depending on him to lead the line.

That was truly terrible. The only redeeming feature was that if anybody had the idea that Tony had turned into a footballing genius, think again. At least the thought of him getting another contract is disappearing over the horizon. We just carried on from were we left off in Cardiff. It was shambolic. It’s obvious that the tinkering around did us no favours. JRC was no where near ready for first team football and it showed. That should have been obvious to the manager.  When you look down the line up outside the back 3 there wasn’t a tackle in the team. I was disgusted with our lack of aggression. Why weren’t we surrounding the ref after that ridiculous second goal ?  We just shrugged our shoulders and looked at each other. . We had four bookings last night, all for trivial ,avoidable, incidents.

What bugged me is that you could see the system wasn’t working after 15 minutes but we had to play an hour before any changes were made, and then it was all three at once. We should have subbed JRC at half time, moved Lenihan to RB and brought Ayala on. Gallagher off and Davenport on and reverted to our normal system.

Buckley ( my MOTM for what it’s worth ) was playing way too deep. Rothwell had a couple of good runs and that was it. What Davenport has to do to get a game I just don’t know, why is he still at the club if the manager doesn’t rate him ? There was a massive gap between the back five and the front three that Hull played in all night. Khadra’s all pace and no brains. He should have taken the ball in closer for that shot. BBD was back being Brererton last night but he was really unlucky with the pen. The ref must have had his eyes painted on . Gallagher was awful, he seems to go backwards every time I see him. Edun was poor first half but got better as the game went. JRC, awful but not entirely his fault. The centre halves weren’t really at the races, they allowed their striker to do a “ Kevin Davies “ on us.

If you’re going to play with wing backs it’s imperative that they play as much as they can in the opponents half. In the first half ours barely got over the half way line.

On the plus side we should be able to get to 50 points before the end of the season so we won’t be going down.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, booth said:

Nyambe should be back at least, hopefully Travis too which would allow Buckley to return to his forward role, but Brereton is out so I expect more tinkering. I’ll be very surprised if Gallagher isn’t playing.

We could really do with signing a player who knows where the goal is today.

Yeah we need a striker in at the club before Monday.