BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 19/1/22

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It's even more of a mystery as I don't even think Gally is fully fit. It's only 11 days since he was subbed off with an injury after returning from an injury. The rush to bring him back in ASAP all the time isn't even helping the player himself.

I'd much rather see him as BBD's backup.  He'll get limited minutes, but he doesn't offer anything when paired with BBD no matter who's playing the false 9.  I'd like to see the front 3 like this...

BBD/Gally                              Khadra/Markanday/Dolan

Buckley/Dack/Dolan

Don't play BBD and Gally together.  Don't drop Buckley into a box to box CM.  Let him create and roam a bit.  Of course, I wouldn't replace BBD with Gally unless injured, exhausted or suspended.  

Edited by USA Rover
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ll have a lot more to say tomorrow but can I just say for now - Iv’e seen plenty of poor referees in a lifetime of watching football and rugby league but that is the first time I.’ve seen a referee who gave us absolutely nothing. How many players did we get booked ? And for what ? We got bullied tonight and the ref let them get away with it. Every tackle they left something in or there was a little pullback.

They’d seen us at Cardiff and thought “ These are a soft touch, they don’t like the physical side of the game. Too many nice lads and not enough bastards “. Only Travis will fight fire with fire.

It's hard to fight fire with fire when you get booked for any indiscretion and their lads are allowed to leave leg breakers on you with no repercussions - see Ng, Collins and Holmes (I think?) in the previous two league matches.

What disappointed me was the apparent lack of confidence. We were unbeten in 10 matches playing a team struggling near the bottom of the league but we looked sheepish and vulnerable from the kick off. No leadership either.

Ref was bad but Rovers were awful. Eaves showed what you can you can do with determination and effort. We showed very little unfortunately.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

I always refer to the 'Samba in the League cup semi final vs Villa' example for this one.  Genuine attempt to get the ball punished twice i.e. Penalty and red card - 2 nil up, 25mins in and the game got destroyed. 

I was livid that night and argued with my non-Rovers uni mates that it was a completely absurd rule back then.

Anyway, double jeopardy rule has come in since then so unless I'm mistaken, genuine attempts to tackle the player in the box is no longer a red card offence. Might be wrong.....

So it was a red card then as he made no attempt to win the ball.

• Like 2

Just got in and have to say I'm gutted.. given our upcoming fixtures this really was one we should be winning! 

We lost on mentality and tinkering.. 

Mowbray should do everything in his power to stick to our winning formula.. yes, the personnel may change but the principles should remain the same.. there are some definite things that he has to do if the injuries stay as they are: 

1.  Have a CDM to support Rothwell, either Edud or Lenihan and tell them to stick in front of the back 3/5! 

2.  As mentioned by a few on here Rothwell and Buckley are our best creators, the team excels when they do.. Buckley needs to play in the centre of the front three, even if slightly behind them, he unlocks the front two.

3.  Bbd is better coming off the left or right not central, the other position can be occupied by Khedra / Markanday.

4.  Gallagher should be behind Bbd, Dolan,  Markanday, Butterworth in my opinion... be interesting to know how many games we have won with and without him, its literally having a man down and it has been for years now! 

5.  I think the wing backs are crucial, Edun was dire in the 1st half but better in the second.. JRC really struggled, we need a RB fit ASAP!

• Like 3

Well it was good while it lasted. I'm talking about Mowbray who dispensed with what has been a trusted system recently to put his square pegs in round holes. Buckley a defensive midfielder - do me a favour. With Travis being out the obvious replacements were Johnson or Davenport. And if anybody can tell me what the formation was after the triple substitution you are a better man than me. Mowbray really pulled a couple from left field with those. It was like last season again when we regularly changed several players at once and confused the life out of everyone Those weren't the only reasons we lost the game though. Frankly we were shite from one to eleven and not one player comes out with any credit.

Tonight could be a watershed in our season.

• Like 5

Like many others just arrived back in Carlisle after the most inane plan to close the main route out of Hull when there are 2k plus fans travelling from Lancs🤬

Gutted with that abject performance. What concerns me now is how we approach the Boro game, a must win match with BBD up front.

Too many players off their game, wrong team sent out and as for a formation? Well, I didn’t see anything worthwhile. Rovers were harried and bullied by an awful team, I mean Smallwood bossed the midfield on his own.

Mowbray knew they had a lump up front and should have player Ayala alongside Wharton and left Lenihan to the right. JRC should never have been in the team he was woeful.

What Gally was doing I cannot work out, useless. Rothwell and Buckley were pressed back, Kadra missed a sitter and needs to think about passing, BBD was out of touch whilst no one was central to break the play.

Very disappointed and Rovers only have themselves to blame, oh yes the ref was a runt with a capital C!

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I believe I heard the commentators right that we’ve fallen behind 8 times this season and only won one. The first goal under Mowbray has always seemed absolutely crucial and this great run has been no different.

We need a decent plan B for when we’re up against it.

A team that concedes possession as Rovers now do - gone from first to last in possession % since last season - will always struggle to win games when conceding first.

Coming out slowly is the worst thing the team can do. 

Like many I wonder if this is the beginning of a death spiral. Rovers never really looked like conceding yet let in a soft first and the ref gave them a second (although I do question what Kaminski was doing coming out). 

I've seen Rovers last 3 games, my summation on that small sample size is that wing backs and Gallagher are the team's weak points. Nyambe, Pickering (not seen him play but trust that he's an upgrade), and hopefully the highly rated new lad all play every week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

The vibes are fine we’ve lost one league game in the last 11 for fuck sake.

I think most of this board would tell you to pound sand on that one Melly. Games like these are "must wins" if you're going to challenge for promotion, automatic or otherwise, and we just got outworked by a team that truly sucks. It was the epitome of bad vibes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I think Gally is copping so much stick because he's the only one in our 1st 14 that I can't make a case for being in the starting 11.

Yes, he may start our next 10 games, but history tells us that will result in mid-table form, at best.

It's not his fault, it's just TMs blind spot, we all have one. Sam Gallagher has had 4 or 5 good games (total) in 4 or 5 seasons (scoring a good goal doesn't mean you have had a good game). 

The rest of the 1st 14 or 15, with the possible exception of Edun, have fully contributed to our run since the Fulham game...

I remember many saying the same thing about Brereton. Luck, chance and confidence have changed someone who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo into a 25 million pound must have. 

Maybe if Sam gets a prolonged run in his proper position, he may build his confidence and his goal tally. Where does his Mum come from? Asking for a South American friend. 

2 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I remember many saying the same thing about Brereton. Luck, chance and confidence have changed someone who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo into a 25 million pound must have. 

Maybe if Sam gets a prolonged run in his proper position, he may build his confidence and his goal tally. Where does his Mum come from? Asking for a South American friend. 

His Dad (RIP) was Scottish. SG has played at youth level for both Scotland and, later, England although more recently I read he was trying to get back into the Jock camp.

South America - read and weep .....

I keep saying Sam Gallagher doesn't know what he is as a footballer, he doesn't know how to use his body and he's 26 years old. It's not even like he's a kid anymore, he really needs to start working that out, if he wants to be a target man type forward then he needs to sit down with the manager and tell him that he wants to play through the middle because he's certainly nowhere near capable of playing out wide. He was embarrassing last night. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Brereton is back to Brereton last 4 games....havent scored in 4 games and it may be good for Brereton Diaz going to Chile getting some confidence back....

• Like 1

Last night highlighted the facts.

*We have a strong 1st 11 when fit.  Little outside that. We knew that after the summer window.

*We have/had found a system that kept clean sheets.

*Mowbray likes to tinker and history says he can't adapt formations mid game to any effect. 

The only way this 

Season pans out well is using the system that gave us the clean sheets. 

History tells us we pick up few wins over the next 3 months.  We need to grind out as many clean sheets as we can in that period and see where it leaves us.  

History also shows we usually finish with the season with a few wins.

Last night was a bad result.  Ref aside.  Performances haven't been great since the PNE game. A loss was coming.  Better to lose to a club at the bottom than a rival like Boro. 

The Boro game is now massive though .  A win, without our main goalscorer, will boost confidence massively. 

I said a few weeks back that this Boro side under Wilder look the dark horses to go up. 

Let's hope we find some way if doing them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, booth said:

Come on, there’s poor and there’s today’s abysmal officiating. Those decisions would have affected the outcome of most games.

The ref was awful, I don't disagree but he hadn't started his horror show when honeyman scored. We started poorly, evaes bullied the ball in from a long punt and no one was tracking the runner from midfield and we are 1-0 down in the 1st 10 minutes.  We had chances to equalise Khadra's for example and unlike Hull we did not take them.  If we had started better and not conceded then it would be a different story, regardless of the refs performance.

Haven’t read any of the reaction on here but assume there was plenty of comments suggesting that this is the beginning of the end. A defeat is not a disaster provided we react against Boro which is now a huge game. Not going to throw the toys out just yet.

Regarding last night, it was a mess. Cannot understand why we persevered with Buckley and Rothwell in the middle until 70 mins when we were clearly missing a defensively minded midfielder.

There was no need to change the system to 5-2-3 but worse than that was that he didn’t change it after 25 mins when it was clearly not working. 

That was Gallagher’s worst performance in a Rovers shirt. JRC was miles off it. Khadra looked a threat but decision making was poor. The rest were all below par at best. Think BBD going away for a week or two may do him some good.

The ref was appalling but when you’re relying of refereeing decisions to beat Hull, you know it’s not gone well. We deserved a point perhaps but didn’t play well enough to deserve much more. 

First league defeat in months so need to put it in perspective but there needs to be an immediate response on Monday.

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, neophox said:

If you cant win games, dont lose them....

IMO that is TMs biggest weak point tactically. The changes this season were either forced on him by personnel or his coaching staff. Last night we ended up with a midfield two of Buckley and Rothwell - against a team fighting for their lives with a home crowd buoyed by the takeove. Only TM would change what had worked so well for a system that left us so exposed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Last night highlighted the facts.

*We have a strong 1st 11 when fit.  Little outside that. We knew that after the summer window.

*We have/had found a system that kept clean sheets.

*Mowbray likes to tinker and history says he can't adapt formations mid game to any effect. 

The only way this 

Season pans out well is using the system that gave us the clean sheets. 

History tells us we pick up few wins over the next 3 months.  We need to grind out as many clean sheets as we can in that period and see where it leaves us.  

History also shows we usually finish with the season with a few wins.

Last night was a bad result.  Ref aside.  Performances haven't been great since the PNE game. A loss was coming.  Better to lose to a club at the bottom than a rival like Boro. 

The Boro game is now massive though .  A win, without our main goalscorer, will boost confidence massively. 

I said a few weeks back that this Boro side under Wilder look the dark horses to go up. 

Let's hope we find some way if doing them.

Much as I really want a confidence boosting win, the big thing against Boro, is not to lose. They have a game in hand and are 7 points behind us. Lose and it closes a big gap and will have everyone looking over their shoulders.

Everyone including the fans need to do their bit now, as the next two are big and 4 or 6 points from them, will put us very firmly in the driving seat. 

• Like 1