BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

16 hours ago, Upside Down said:

And charge them premium prices for the privilege. 

I thought our season tickets were more expensive than yours - Adults at £365-£590

And don't worry, I'm anticipating plenty of woe to come from our owners. Give another couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the chicken farmers look like model owners.

9 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I thought our season tickets were more expensive than yours - Adults at £365-£590

And don't worry, I'm anticipating plenty of woe to come from our owners. Give another couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the chicken farmers look like model owners.

In future arguments won't be settled with results or who has the highest gates, but who has the worst, most apathetic owners.

At least we're in the lead with that one.

• Like 2

I've just dusted off and brought up to date from a few years ago a very rough estimate of both clubs' catchment areas. These are the places that locals could naturally gravitate to each club, not that they do.

The LCC population estimate for 2021 has Burnley at 94,000 and Pendle at 96,000. I've then added a third of Hyndburn*, 28,000 and one third of Ribble Valley* 20,000. Total 238,000 before Rossendale.

Blackburn has 150,000, plus one third of Hyndburn 28,000 and one third of Ribble Valley 20,000. Then another third of Chorley* 34,000 and a quarter of South Ribble* 28,000. Total 260,000 before Rossendale.

I haven't included Rossendale's 71,000 as I don't know the area well enough to have a proper opinion, but my gut feeling, backed up by posts above, is there would naturally be more Burnley than Blackburn fans. My guess is therefore that the catchments are pretty much equal.

* I split Hyndburn 3 ways - Rovers, Burnley and Stanley.

Ribble Valley 3 ways - Rovers, Burnley and PNE

Chorley 3 ways - Rovers, Burnley and Notlob.

South Ribble 75% PNE and 25% Rovers.

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

I've just dusted off and brought up to date from a few years ago a very rough estimate of both clubs' catchment areas. These are the places that locals could naturally gravitate to each club, not that they do.

The LCC population estimate for 2021 has Burnley at 94,000 and Pendle at 96,000. I've then added a third of Hyndburn*, 28,000 and one third of Ribble Valley* 20,000. Total 238,000 before Rossendale.

Blackburn has 150,000, plus one third of Hyndburn 28,000 and one third of Ribble Valley 20,000. Then another third of Chorley* 34,000 and a quarter of South Ribble* 28,000. Total 260,000 before Rossendale.

I haven't included Rossendale's 71,000 as I don't know the area well enough to have a proper opinion, but my gut feeling, backed up by posts above, is there would naturally be more Burnley than Blackburn fans. My guess is therefore that the catchments are pretty much equal.

That’s a pretty good assessment o2g. I would say Rossendale is 66% Burnley, 33% Rovers, with only Haslingden and Helmshore being strongholds for us. I’m assuming you mean Rovers, PNE and Notlob for Chorley.

I have worked in Chorley previously and just get the feeling that, with the Breezeblock being where it is now (as opposed to BWFC being south of Bolton town centre), our support in Chorley is becoming less as each year passes.

I’ve done this sort of thing in the past and, give or take a few thousand, both catchment areas were the same.

The ‘elephant in the room’ is the substantial, and growing, Asian population of Blackburn. I realise that the club are working hard to get as many of them as possible down to Ewood but it must be hard.

Another thing to mention is that it becomes more difficult for Rovers if our near neighbours are doing well at any particular time. Five miles to the west and we enter Preston territory. Five miles to the east and we enter Burnley territory. Seven or eight miles to the south and it’s Bolton. We are hemmed in on all sides. Burnley only have to worry about us and, joking aside, their support stretches well into West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire.

Very little in it.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot
  • Like 1

It’s swings and roundabouts, as Blackburn’s demographics have changed it has seen our support drop markedly in the town itself, but unsurprisingly it feels to me that there are now far more Blues in the Ribble Valley than I can remember.

Edited by Mattyblue

Good assessment of the splits, but very little, to no Burnley in Chorley. 
Would go Rovers/Bolton prob not much between them then PNE even before Burnley. (Obviously majority are wearing United or Liverpool unfortunately). 

Train line has definitely helped the Bolton support there.

Get 1k or so attending the magpies now, though a lot of them see it as a 2nd club.  

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

I’ll take your word for it on the splits but Burnley’s population is not that high. Maybe 85,000 tops, Pendle 92,000 - with the populations largely declining last time I checked.

one thing I read at one point that was in your favour was that the average age of Blackburn’s population was decreasing as well..

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s the entry price of £430 for any potential new/returning ST holder that really didn’t help.

An entry of £365 seems much more reasonable.

Ah sorry didn’t realise yours had gone up so much - a few years back they always seemed to be about half the cost of ours at the entry level.

5 hours ago, booth said:

In future arguments won't be settled with results or who has the highest gates, but who has the worst, most apathetic owners.

At least we're in the lead with that one.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

They may be shit owners, but they are our shit owners. COYB.

I feel like there’s a chant in there somewhere 😂

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Good assessment of the splits, but very little, to no Burnley in Chorley. 
Would go Rovers/Bolton prob not much between them then PNE even before Burnley. (Obviously majority are wearing United or Liverpool unfortunately). 

Train line has definitely helped the Bolton support there.

Get 1k or so attending the magpies now, though a lot of them see it as a 2nd club.  

My error - Chorley should be split Rovers/PNE/Bolton.

42 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I’ll take your word for it on the splits but Burnley’s population is not that high. Maybe 85,000 tops, Pendle 92,000 - with the populations largely declining last time I checked.

Longsiders - my numbers were from Lancashire County Council's website, outlining population estimates from the 2021 census. The actual numbers are 94,700 for Burnley and 95,800 for Pendle. This is for the two Borough Council areas.

8 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Longsiders - my numbers were from Lancashire County Council's website, outlining population estimates from the 2021 census. The actual numbers are 94,700 for Burnley and 95,800 for Pendle. This is for the two Borough Council areas.

I wouldn’t trust council as far I can throw it - but maybe the figures I’ve looked at previously excluded some areas or were just the town. On Pendleton, that is a hell of an increase if accurate.

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

The ‘elephant in the room’ is the substantial, and growing, Asian population of Blackburn. I realise that the club are working hard to get as many of them as possible down to Ewood but it must be hard.

Burnley and Pendle have a sizeable Asian populations as well - for example Nelson is around 44% Asian.

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Burnley and Pendle have a sizeable Asian populations as well - for example Nelson is around 44% Asian.

Yes, I have worked in both Nelson and Burnley.

Taking Blackburn’s (not including Darwen) current population of 120k and an Asian percentage of 35% (from previous census), that’s 42k Asians in the town. As you’ll know, they’re keen on cricket, they like walking around in Utd and City shirts but not as keen on getting down to their local club.

It’s a problem for Burnley but a massive problem for the Rovers.

These are numbers from the 2011 census, I don’t think the 2021 numbers are out yet. Then there were 45,500 BME people in Blackburn with Darwen. In Pendle there were 18,000 and in Burnley 11,000. No doubt these numbers will have increased somewhat in the last 10 years.

There were another 10,000 in Hyndburn.

So both clubs have catchment areas with fairly big BME populations but Rovers have more.

23 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

at least it`s not monday night,which i was sure it would be,was never going to be saturday afternoon was it!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll never have it at night unless it's a cup replay à la 2005 - people would just take the Monday and Tuesday off work and drink all day pre-match.

Looking forward to seeing whether the compulsory coach travel is still a thing.....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, frosty said:

They'll never have it at night unless it's a cup replay à la 2005 - people would just take the Monday and Tuesday off work and drink all day pre-match.

Looking forward to seeing whether the compulsory coach travel is still a thing.....

Rumour has it it won’t be operation overkill !