BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ryan Hedges deal agreed

Even after 6 months of links to him I've still have no idea what hedges more natural position is supposed to be? 

Wide forward? Centre mid?  Centrally Behind the forwards? 

Just seems such a totally 'meh!' player i Really dont get why theclubs been pursuing him so much for so long....   I'm Always happy to be proved wrong though if he turns out to be quality! 

Can't help think our pursuement (is that a word🤷‍♂️) is just our Scottish 'head of recruitment' John Parks trying to justify his position and knowledge of spl players 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

Got chatting to a Barnsley fan at work the other day about Hedges. Said he was often a bit part player for them and always performed better from the bench. The clamour would build for a start and then he would flatter to deceive. Sounds like they were keen on him sticking around but he saw himself as a starter. He knows a fair bit about Blackburn my friend and he has high doubts he has the quality needed for a promotion chasing team. However he did cite previous ex Barnsley players in Arma and Rothwell as being successes at us that Hedges could follow!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

I share the doubts, especially, as we're spending a sizeable fee. Aberdeen are 6th in a poor league, which must say a little about Hedges (though, appreciate, he is likely in a very poor team), especially, as their fans seem to think of him as a talent but inconsistent. To my mind, he sounds like a Harry Chapman, perhaps, without the supposed attitude that has seen him clash with Mowbray. Admittedly, our Championship is poor too - but, right now, we have aspirations to reach the Premier League which is a light-year step up.

Having said all that, Mowbray has got attacking signs right, mostly, lately and Hedges is said to have creativity and some skill, which is welcome. He had a hamstring injury early this season, but if he can stay fit and contribute the odd goal, he could be an Alan Mahon type back-up, offering that bit of quality to help us get promoted. 

I hope we will also try and sign Reda Khadra at some point. Perhaps, the club have made enquiries and been rebuffed but his valuation will only increase, I think.

Edited by riverholmes

Hedges the replacement for Rothwell? We’ll see but any decent player in Scotland usually ends up at Rangers or Celtic and I’d be surprised if this lad makes any difference for us. Tony has signed some good ones and some duffers.....let’s hope it’s the former

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

All we can do is wait and see what he's like. 

So much negativity is uncalled for. Give him a chance for fuck sake.

Of course we will!! He is a good crosser of the ball and can cut in and shoot.

So we'll see what else he can do won't we?

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The guy never even gets a look in for an average wales side so I doubt he's up to much

Is it an average Wales side? Best crop they’ve probably ever had.

They make a better fist of qualifying for tournaments than countries with far bigger populations…

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The guy never even gets a look in for an average wales side so I doubt he's up to much

And Darragh doesn't get a look in for an Ireland team that got beat by Luxembourg last year.

Doesn't always mean much. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

when i watched him against st mirren he looked overweight and uninterested,hopefully im`e wrong about him,though in truth he has`nt cost much,looks a wide player so he won`t be rothwells replacement

Hopefully playing for a team 2nd in the Championship going for promotion to the Prem will be all the motivation he needs,i'm guessing games against the likes of St Mirren every week playing for a midtable Scottish team loses its appeal after a few years.

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Hedges the replacement for Rothwell? We’ll see but any decent player in Scotland usually ends up at Rangers or Celtic and I’d be surprised if this lad makes any difference for us. Tony has signed some good ones and some duffers.....let’s hope it’s the former

He plays on the right wing so hopefully that will mean Gallagher doesn't get played there any more.

Looking at his stats he scored 9 in 32 games last season and 5 in 22 this season. Up to then he wasn't hitting the net much. Hopefully we're getting him as he's hitting his prime.

18 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I share the doubts, especially, as we're spending a sizeable fee. Aberdeen are 6th in a poor league, which must say a little about Hedges (though, appreciate, he is likely in a very poor team), especially, as their fans seem to think of him as a talent but inconsistent. To my mind, he sounds like a Harry Chapman, perhaps, without the supposed attitude that has seen him clash with Mowbray. Admittedly, our Championship is poor too - but, right now, we have aspirations to reach the Premier League which is a light-year step up.

Having said all that, Mowbray has got attacking signs right, mostly, lately and Hedges is said to have creativity and some skill, which is welcome. He had a hamstring injury early this season, but if he can stay fit and contribute the odd goal, he could be an Alan Mahon type back-up, offering that bit of quality to help us get promoted. 

I hope we will also try and sign Reda Khadra at some point. Perhaps, the club have made enquiries and been rebuffed but his valuation will only increase, I think.

Sizeable fee? Only a reported 200k.

13 hours ago, Upside Down said:

All we can do is wait and see what he's like. 

So much negativity is uncalled for. Give him a chance for fuck sake.

What is the purpose of this thread at all then if people can't pass comment on a signing? Same with the transfer thread. 

Having an opinion on a signing and then giving the player a chance and judging in a Rovers shirt aren't mutually exclusive.