BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

20 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

You have misunderstood my comment, I am not braindead, I know Ferguson and Unsworth no longer play.I think the rumour meant Ferguson as manager and Unsworth as his assistant.

I haven't misunderstood your comment. I was pointing out how little sense your comments made, because they were only relevant if they were still players.

54 minutes ago, J*B said:

Great, 20M and early in the window. I love Ben but we can’t risk the version of him 2 years coming back. 

I think an early sale for good money for BBD is the ideal outcome. Getting nothing for him next summer isn't an acceptable result. We also need the money for a rebuild, and it's not much good to us if it only comes in with a day left of the window.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, he is leader by his attitude and how he plays. 

my next choice would Scott Wharton. 

Daniel Ayala wouldn't be anywhere near the captaincy of the club and I would get rid of him cos he not fit enough to play a proper part in our season. 

Let be honest mate, he’s a shithouse. He dives in to tackles recklessly and loses his head too often. If you notice he’s always having a go at other players when the opposition are in. 9 times of of 10 it’s because he hasn’t tracked a runner. Kaminski gives him a rollocking and he spits his dummy out.

That’s not a captain for me. 

16 minutes ago, RVRVRS said:

Let be honest mate, he’s a shithouse. He dives in to tackles recklessly and loses his head too often. If you notice he’s always having a go at other players when the opposition are in. 9 times of of 10 it’s because he hasn’t tracked a runner. Kaminski gives him a rollocking and he spits his dummy out.

That’s not a captain for me. 

Travis and Wharton for me

The way Wharton went off the boil near the end of last season was a worry he seemed to lose his head.  He'll be another season wiser after summer of course but not sure he's captain material.

If someone comes in they'll probably go with senior experience so that'll be Ayala.  Might even encourage him not to cry off as often.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The way Wharton went off the boil near the end of last season was a worry he seemed to lose his head.  He'll be another season wiser after summer of course but not sure he's captain material.

If someone comes in they'll probably go with senior experience so that'll be Ayala.  Might even encourage him not to cry off as often.

It’d been a long season for Wharton and don’t forget he started behind everybody else.

With Wharton's end of season form, aside from the potential fitness and physical issues raised and the general disintegration of the team, I think opposition teams worked out the lack of pace in Rovers back line, particularly, with Pickering and Wharton on the left.

We once had a defence of Martin Taylor, Berg, Short and Gresko, that did well for a while, playing deep, despite being very slow, relatively speaking, which shows it could be done. However, in the now popular 4-3-3 formations, the full backs have to provide width and pace, I suspect, has become even more important. It is imperative, I feel, for Rovers to find a quick and effective defender or two for the next season, to support the players we have. Be that from the reserves/youth or new signings.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

I know he was a bit rash at times and his form also faltered near the end of the season but Van Hecke will be a big miss in terms of playing how we did.

The number of last ditch interceptions, tackles and blocks he made last season pulling others and himself out the mire was quite regular.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I know he was a bit rash at times and his form also faltered near the end of the season but Van Hecke will be a big miss in terms of playing how we did.

The number of last ditch interceptions, tackles and blocks he made last season pulling others and himself out the mire was quite regular.

What has that got to do with Wharton being next seasons captain ?

I might be wrong, particularly in this young side that were inevitably going to have, but I'm not sure Wharton would have enough respect in the dressing room just yet.  The captain isn't just the player choosing heads or tails before kick off, or even the most vocal on the pitch. He's the link between the manager and the team, he has to be strong enough mentally and carry enough respect from the manager and the players to fulfill that. 

Of the top of my head, looking through the squad now, providing he stays fit next season, my captain would be Dack. He's a senior pro, a good pro and has overcome huge obstacles. He's a driving force when he's on the pitch and now he's matured I think would thrive in a senior role. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

I might be wrong, particularly in this young side that were inevitably going to have, but I'm not sure Wharton would have enough respect in the dressing room just yet.  The captain isn't just the player choosing heads or tails before kick off, or even the most vocal on the pitch. He's the link between the manager and the team, he has to be strong enough mentally and carry enough respect from the manager and the players to fulfill that. 

Of the top of my head, looking through the squad now, providing he stays fit next season, my captain would be Dack. He's a senior pro, a good pro and has overcome huge obstacles. He's a driving force when he's on the pitch and now he's matured I think would thrive in a senior role. 

Dack might not even be in our starting 11. He’s nowhere near were he was before the last cruciate injury yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dack might not even be in our starting 11. He’s nowhere near were he was before the last cruciate injury yet.

Did you expect him to be? He was largely playing 45mins here and there, picked up another injury etc. How often is it said that players can take months to trust their bodies after a bad injury, never mind two! 

I hope with a good pre-season behind him we can start to see him influencing us more and more. Before his injury he was one of the best in the division, I'd hope he can still be a great asset.