BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

We need to be careful here, every club seems to be cracking on and getting their business done and we haven’t brought anyone in yet, only just getting a manager isn’t an excuse either as Burnley may well have signed 3 by the end of this week! Come on Rovers let’s get going. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butty said:

We need to be careful here, every club seems to be cracking on and getting their business done and we haven’t brought anyone in yet, only just getting a manager isn’t an excuse either as Burnley may well have signed 3 by the end of this week! Come on Rovers let’s get going. 

Our Director of Football and Head Coach have only just arrived - they need to watch a few training sessions (and a few games from last season) to work out what everyone can do before diving into the transfer market. 

Burnley's structure hasn't changed - and they must have known they were losing their two starting CBs and their starting GK the second they went down. 

We need to make the right signings, not just quick ones. 

I was absolutely gutted when Bellamy left.  I was desperate for him to stay. There's a really interesting quote in his book where he says he went to meet Rafa and nearly called quits on the move because of the meeting they had.  I bloody wish he had done!  Having said that, any club in their right mind would have paid £6m for him - he was an absolute bargain for that price, so he'd likely have gone anyway. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Says me. We have failed to retain the services of three mainstays, while succeeding to renew the contracts of Kaminski and Travis. We can attract a few youngsters who are looking for a step up, but as I see things we're behind in the pecking order due to current wage structure. 

We know for months that Rothwell and Nyambe were going for ages now. No surprised that Nyambe has rejected the contract offer after it was his agent was re-engaged with the club after months of no talks. 

Lenihan going is a surprised given how long he been here but maybe he wanted a new challenge. 

I agree that we should have a wage structure here

5 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Anyone heard a rumour about Cameron Brannigan ?

would be an excellent signing for us. Goalscoring midfielder and box to box player. 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

The final kick in the teeth would be if Nyambe rocks up at Burnley.  Think his versatility would appeal to Kompany.

Don't see him going Burnley. They have Conner Roberts who is a much better right back than him

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Bottom 8 is generous. If we played a competitive Championship fixture tomorrow I'd put my mortgage on us losing.

Never.

Kaminski; Brown, Ayala, Wharton, Pickering; Travis(C), Buckley; Hedges, Dack, Brereton Diaz; Gallagher. That team would be midtable at worst

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Comparing apples and oranges in terms of right backs. Spence played the whole season as a wing back and that suits him, superb going forward at this level and suspect defensively.

Nyambe is out of his depth as a wing back, as poor an attacking full back as you will see. Defensively though he is very good one on one and he has that physicality that helps him in recovery.

JDT seems to want to play with very attacking full back almost like Wing backs so maybe Nyambe might not the right type of player for that. 

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Genuine question - does anyone feel any sort of emotional attachment to the players these days?

Maybe it's just me and the standard being so poor - I used to love Tugay, Emerton (for all his faults!) etc.

This lot are mostly just replaceable cloggers in my eyes - nobody to get attached to. You don't feel like you're watching anything special.

At a stretch I'd say I'm fond of Travis. 

I feel no massive emotional attachment to any players anymore and the last player that was Alan Shearer to be honest. Tugay was close. 

But at the end of the day its a job and nothing more to these players.  

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I didn't see him, or I don't remember it at least, but it's utterly irrelevant even if he is world class.

Completely unobtainable player who is playing in the Prem next year is better than Nyambe? So what? Tell me about some bargain bin 500k RB who is better than him and that might be of some use to us.

Spence was the best right back in this league last season. Now Spurs wanted him. He was loan out by Warnock who deemed him not good enough for them. What a massive mistake that was. 

I will name 3 options who we could replace him with

1. James Bree from Luton. Out of contract in 6 days. 

2. Callum Brittain from Barnsley. Attacking full back. would probably cost around 1 to 1.5 million. Impressed by every time I've him play 

3. Josh Key from Exeter City. LT reported we look at signing him in January and out of contract in 12 months. 

5 hours ago, 47er said:

The right thing to do would have been to offer them new contracts which reflected their ability before their old one ran out.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec here but it's my view that they were offered deals that reflected their ability. They just didn't have much 'usable' ability.

Nyambe was never fit and as I said wasn't going to improve much beyond where he's at now.  Always out of position, can't cross, never scores or even threatens to score.

Rothwell was a show pony. Exciting, dynamic,  once every ten matches, little to no end product, slow thought process and decision making. Could he press? The aim is to score and win matches not look good in little cameos with no end product. He was also as good as he was going to get.

Lenihan, well there you have more of an argument, sad to see him go yet he's not a world beater. Looked good going forward and good channel passing this last season, but defensively can we really say he was always in position.  Good, one of our own, but brace yourself, it's always tough to tell a mother that her baby's ugly, I have to be honest and say he was just above adequate at best. Just compare him to the young loanees we've had in his position.

There's better out there. We've played those guys for three years now and never got above 8th.

They were offered what they were worth IMHO.  It was their choice not to sign. C´est la vie. Move on. Over to you GB.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Not sure I did get it wrong. There was no problem with Derby until Mel Morris suffered health issues and decided he wasn't going to put any more money in.

I keep hearing this 'sailing close to the wind' stuff. Middlesbrough, Stoke, Bristol City, all have lost way above and beyond the limits on FFP and none of them have been sanctioned whilst spending more than us. Its a myth, a convenient tool for Waggott and the Venky entourage to spout off about as an excuse for them stopping spending again. In my opinion of course.

The only clubs to suffer from it are those run by idiots - Us, Cardiff, Birmingham, Reading. No coincidence that the biggest spenders and those with clued up owners keep on getting away with it.

Boro have lost some of their high wage earners and now they are selling Spence for 15 mil plus which will help them inn the market

Stoke have been cutting their wage bill each season under Michael O'Neill. Even this season they have. plenty on articles on that online if you wish to look. 

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How much off the wage bill in the last 12 months?

The wage Bill is mid table in this league isn't it? 

Yes some players on high wages have left recently but we still have competitive wage budget for this league. 

“My agent said Middlesbrough were interested and the gaffer wants to get to the Premier League.

"It is the same ambition as mine and he was very impressive with what he had to say. He knows the league, he's got promoted (before) and this club itself is a Premier League club. You look around the training ground, the stadium, it's a really good club and it has great ambition.”

Odd comments. Maybe Mowbray told him Boro were more ambitious than us.  

1 minute ago, bigbrandjohn said:

“My agent said Middlesbrough were interested and the gaffer wants to get to the Premier League.

"It is the same ambition as mine and he was very impressive with what he had to say. He knows the league, he's got promoted (before) and this club itself is a Premier League club. You look around the training ground, the stadium, it's a really good club and it has great ambition.”

AND they offered me 2.5x what Rovers did 👀

27 minutes ago, booth said:

Sod Lenihan, can we get Van Hecke back?

Letting Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe go is less of an issue because of their ability, and more because we could have got a reasonable amount of money towards replacements. That's the difference between replacing them with proven quality or having to go through the bargain bucket for a uncovered gem. Across the 3 there have definitely been rumours of a total of £10m+ bids that would have made a massive difference.

It's absolutely criminal that we let the contracts run down and to be honest they should have been sold 12 months ago when it was clear they wouldn't sign. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Game of opinions, but I disagree completely. I think he's going to be the biggest loss actually.

I would've agreed earlier in his career, but I thought he was very strong last season. Actually for the last couple of seasons, there's a massive difference between our win % with and without Lenihan in the team. 

I'll grant you he was better last season but his lack of composure on the ball and crappy distribution always wound me up. JPVH was so much better in that regard and that's why he's at a Premier League club and Lenihan isn't...

4 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Letting Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe go is less of an issue because of their ability, and more because we could have got a reasonable amount of money towards replacements. That's the difference between replacing them with proven quality or having to go through the bargain bucket for a uncovered gem. Across the 3 there have definitely been rumours of a total of £10m+ bids that would have made a massive difference.

It's absolutely criminal that we let the contracts run down and to be honest they should have been sold 12 months ago when it was clear they wouldn't sign. 

With Nyambe it’s about ability too (and Lenihan has also had his best season), but I’d rather us pay better new signings more in wages than a trio of underachievers.

Rothwell should have gone in January. What a waste of money that was.

It is very poor that we’re letting all three go for nothing though.

Edited by booth

8 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I mean, I'd be backing Boro to go up over us right now, for sure.

Better promotion chances and more wages. No brainer for him.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never.

Kaminski; Brown, Ayala, Wharton, Pickering; Travis(C), Buckley; Hedges, Dack, Brereton Diaz; Gallagher. That team would be midtable at worst

JDT seems to want to play with very attacking full back almost like Wing backs so maybe Nyambe might not the right type of player for that. 

I feel no massive emotional attachment to any players anymore and the last player that was Alan Shearer to be honest. Tugay was close. 

But at the end of the day its a job and nothing more to these players.  

Spence was the best right back in this league last season. Now Spurs wanted him. He was loan out by Warnock who deemed him not good enough for them. What a massive mistake that was. 

I will name 3 options who we could replace him with

1. James Bree from Luton. Out of contract in 6 days. 

2. Callum Brittain from Barnsley. Attacking full back. would probably cost around 1 to 1.5 million. Impressed by every time I've him play 

3. Josh Key from Exeter City. LT reported we look at signing him in January and out of contract in 12 months. 

I'm astonished even by your standards. You have seen what from Brown and Hedges to convince you that they are good enough for a mid-table Championship side? 2-3 cameos in low pressure games at the end of last season?

This is a squad game not a 1st XI game so whilst it doesn't look too bad when you list our best XI you and I both know that this doesn't work in the reality of the Championship. Ayala another year older and he only plays half a season at the best of times. Still big question marks over Dack's fitness and durability and BBD will have to be sold whether he is happy here or not. He's hardly going to be persuaded to hang around after watching 3 key players head off elsewhere is he?

I see that we are now shifting the narrative - Nyambe doesn't suit JDT's 'style' so its fine he's leaving on a free transfer and Lenihan might have wanted a change of scenery from being our captain and mainstay to go to.......Middlesbrough? I doubt he'll even move house for that one. Unless his wife has decided she wants to live on Teesside and forced him to leave like some folk reckon happened with Rothwell and Reed's partners?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

I don’t think we would’ve described selling those three for a cut price last summer as “good business”

Especially in the league we are in, the difference between success and failure is the kind of money that would’ve made those three irrelevant to the “journey” so it’s understandable that they kept hold.

Equally “allowing their contracts to run down” is the type of sentence that just winds me up.

They either sign or they don’t. You cannot force players too, and despite the likes of JHR suggesting our money issues / limitations are imaginary, it’s not a surprise to me that these three would rather take the contracts with the most money.

Thats despite being given a chance here. Rothwell perhaps less, but Nyambe and Lenihan both owe their entire careers to our academy.

I will be singing “there’s only one greedy bastard” anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JBiz said:

They either sign or they don’t. You cannot force players too, and despite the likes of JHR suggesting our money issues / limitations are imaginary, it’s not a surprise to me that these three would rather take the contracts with the most money.

You over simplify things.

Of course you can't force them to sign. But you can act in a way that is more likely to persuade them to. Like making them feel wanted and needed, instigating negotiations in a timely manner and making them healthy offers.

I don't think those things have happened here and you only have to look at how Waggott treats paying supporters to obtain a glimpse into the workings of his mind.

Activating 12 month extensions was hailed as a masterstroke on here but in actual fact was probably the final nail in the coffin in making those players minds up to get the hell out of here.

I can't blame them. If I wasn't emotionally and locally attached to this club I'd do the same.

And what money issues do we have that stops us paying these lads similar to Middlesbrough? Did I imagine the slashed wage bill last summer and Armstrong cash?

Just now, JHRover said:

And what money issues do we have that stops us paying these lads similar to Middlesbrough? Did I imagine the slashed wage bill last summer and Armstrong cash?

No but you forgot the constant haemorrhage of money for 12 years, the lack of a decent ownership and the deficit closing the stadium for 12 months created.

31 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

I'm not trying to be a smart alec here but it's my view that they were offered deals that reflected their ability. They just didn't have much 'usable' ability.

Nyambe was never fit and as I said wasn't going to improve much beyond where he's at now.  Always out of position, can't cross, never scores or even threatens to score.

Rothwell was a show pony. Exciting, dynamic,  once every ten matches, little to no end product, slow thought process and decision making. Could he press? The aim is to score and win matches not look good in little cameos with no end product. He was also as good as he was going to get.

Lenihan, well there you have more of an argument, sad to see him go yet he's not a world beater. Looked good going forward and good channel passing this last season, but defensively can we really say he was always in position.  Good, one of our own, but brace yourself, it's always tough to tell a mother that her baby's ugly, I have to be honest and say he was just above adequate at best. Just compare him to the young loanees we've had in his position.

There's better out there. We've played those guys for three years now and never got above 8th.

They were offered what they were worth IMHO.  It was their choice not to sign. C´est la vie. Move on. Over to you GB.

Clocking up 200 appearances at the age of 24 while “never being fit” is quite an achievement. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That makes him a ‘greedy bastard’ who deserves to be chanted at? How sad.

Hilarious how you’d pure dog the club for trying to raise revenue but then defend someone who will be set for life because of the opportunities we gave them. 

Who walked away for nothing.

Edited by JBiz

3 hours ago, unsall said:

Not saying we are run well, my point is you were saying we should be run like Derby, you got that one wrong, now saying we should be run like ‘Boro who probably are sailing close to the wind with FFP, I’ll wait till end of transfer window and see where we are before making any predictions.

Boro will sell Spence to cover any FFP problem. 

17 minutes ago, JBiz said:

No but you forgot the constant haemorrhage of money for 12 years, the lack of a decent ownership and the deficit closing the stadium for 12 months created.

And that makes us different to Middlesbrough how?

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And that makes us different to Middlesbrough how?

1. Ownership

2. Turnover 

3. Debt

4. A free signing moving clubs generally attracts a big signing on fee. 

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm astonished even by your standards. You have seen what from Brown and Hedges to convince you that they are good enough for a mid-table Championship side? 2-3 cameos in low pressure games at the end of last season?

apart from the last game all those games where pressure games. Maybe Hedges might had more of impact if Stubborn Mowbray played him right and stop with he must learn how we play first. 

This is a squad game not a 1st XI game so whilst it doesn't look too bad when you list our best XI you and I both know that this doesn't work in the reality of the Championship. Ayala another year older and he only plays half a season at the best of times. Still big question marks over Dack's fitness and durability and BBD will have to be sold whether he is happy here or not. He's hardly going to be persuaded to hang around after watching 3 key players head off elsewhere is he?

Brereton Diaz is still here and I think he will go personally. I would get rid of Ayala cos of lack of fitness and availability to play enough games for the wage he earns here. 

I have posted what I would do transfer wise this summer and who I would move up from the under 23's squad into the first team. I have said I would sign 6 new players this summer and move 4 players into the first team squad from the under 23's squad. Nyambe not signing a new contract didn't change that

I see that we are now shifting the narrative - Nyambe doesn't suit JDT's 'style' so its fine he's leaving on a free transfer 

I'm never been the biggest fan of Nyambe anyway. Don't rate him much anyway

• Like 1