BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

JR - Agreed - the fee was £3.5m rising to £6m if / when they went up.

DL - I think they went above and beyond. Boro just went (a lot) higher.

RN - has become disaffected by Venus (bully) and thought he’d get a lot more money elsewhere. As of last week those offers were not forthcoming. I have a feeling we have dug our heels in and he will end up on the same / less money at lesser / similar club. 

RN not so long ago he wasn't signing because Venus had advised him he could join himself and Mowbray at West Brom on much better deals.

That is what you were telling us not long ago, now I know you will reply that it was Rothwells dad said it but even if the case it turned out to be well wrong and are now saying it's the complete opposite that Nyambe's reluctance to initially sign a new deal here was due to bullying from Venus?

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

JR - Agreed - the fee was £3.5m rising to £6m if / when they went up.

DL - I think they went above and beyond. Boro just went (a lot) higher.

RN - has become disaffected by Venus (bully) and thought he’d get a lot more money elsewhere. As of last week those offers were not forthcoming. I have a feeling we have dug our heels in and he will end up on the same / less money at lesser / similar club. 

If you think Nyambe will be on same /  less money  compared to the 4k a week contract he had here, you are having a laugh

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

I love Ben but he MUST be sold this window. His contract is running out and whilst his form last year was brilliant we just cannot risk it dropping off. 

The way I see it is we either tie him down to a new deal or sell him but whichever way it has to be before the window closes. If it's the latter the money we get simply has to be given to the manager but either option wouldn't bother me. We can't risk another situation where an asset walks away for nothing by letting it drag on. But at the snails pace things move down there it wouldn't surprise me.

9 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

If you think Nyambe will be on same /  less money  compared to the 4k a week contract he had here, you are having a laugh

I think he meant versus the offer we have made rather than the deal he was on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Believing something is imminent for 2 years is stupid.

The deals have gone on the table 2 years ago low balling more like, that is what has started this rot off in the first place.

The key is to get these things done before players become desirable for other clubs and quite clearly there have been poor judgement calls from the manager and CEO.  Along the lines of they'll never be much better than they are so the limit is about 7 grand. 

Meanwhile those players and their agents are looking at Ayala and co on 15 grand.

That was the time to find middle ground and get a deal or two done at least but once side has pulled the drawbridge up and the other has taken offence.  Then we muddle on whilst they leave it at a stalemate, all of a sudden we are doing well and the contracts are ticking down.  Club starts getting twitchy and tries to re- engage but interest has been garnered elsewhere, heads are being turned and beyond are top line wages plus signing on fees and long contracts are being promised elsewhere. 

Too late is the cry, you've fiddled about with your balls in your pocket waiting for us to come crawling but it's not happening.  All this isn't helped by rumours of the manager and his pal advising take the bigger money elsewhere, suspecting they were off as well.

Thoroughly unprofessional stuff but not surprising in the slightest and this is all on Waggots watch.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

My main point re Lenihan is querying if we could have afforded to keep him, were we not paying Ayala a nice wedge to be a part timer employee really.

The answer is yes we could afford him, all the signs were there he was going to sign however something has changed his mind, it’s not monetary or so we are told but ambition!

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He said as clear as day, “If they don’t want to sign I’ll sell them all at Christmas” this is what we should have done with at least 1 or 2.

Though we really shouldn’t have been in that situation.

To be fair, he was adamant from around October/November time, in interviews with the LT and Andy Bayes too, that the contract trio would be sold in January had they not renewed by then.

This was before our turnaround and climb up to 2nd place. It's plausible that he wanted to sell Rothwell only for Suhail to refuse to allow it. It also backs up what somebody said to me about Suhail after having a chat with him. "Nice enough fella, but should not be in that position at Rovers as he knows stuff all about football".

Only a non footballing person can have a bid of £3m+ (potentially rising to £6m) sat before him for a player who will leave for nothing in 6 months and decide "nah, I want him to stay". If it's true we had Wallace and a couple of others lined up it makes it even worse.

I'd have been angry at the time with a Rothwell sale, but had Wallace and Co come in it would have softened the blow somewhat.

We should never have let it get to that stage though and the main point is that the blame for the mess isn't on one person alone, it's a collective where a number of them are to blame.

Just hope Broughton can have more of an influence now as, for me, it's important that Suhail takes a backseat and lets the new guys get on with it.

• Like 2

One thing that appears not to have been mentioned in the free transfer discussion. In the January transfer window we were in a solid play off position. 

Venkys decided to gamble on a good team pressing for promotion rather than cash in on three players in the window and maybe get rush replacements who take time to settle in. Markaday was brought in to strengthen  the attack. It wasn’t a bad strategy. 

All hell would have broken loose if we had sold the players and then screwed up.

We gave it a go, The manager screwed up, the players screwed up Venkys lost 10 million quid and Mowbray moved on. 

I am ready to move on. I know we won’t be pressing for the play offs. I am hoping things will be more exciting. 

Edited by bigbrandjohn
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

One thing that appears not to have been mentioned in the free transfer discussion. In the January transfer window we were in a solid play off position. 

Venkys decided to gamble on a good team pressing for promotion rather than cash in on three players in the window and maybe get rush replacements who take time to settle in. Markaday was brought in to strengthen  the attack. It wasn’t a bad strategy. 

All hell would have broken loose if we had sold the players and them screwed up.

We gave it a go, The manager screwed up, the players screwed up Venkys lost 10 million quid and Mowbray moved on. 

I am ready to move on. I know we won’t be pressing for the play offs. I am hoping things will be more exciting. 

100% this.

There's a lot of hindsight going on now but the contracts were a slow burning clustfook going back years and we SHOULD have finished in the top 6 with the players we had.

• Like 4

Lots of talk about the Wilder factor in Lenihan going to Middlesbrough, given he wanted him whilst at Sheff Utd, about how he suits Wilder's ways and how Middlesbrough have a better chance of promotion this season so makes sense for Lenihan.

Taking those points in turn, Wilder only turned up at Middlesbrough towards the end of last year when they were stuck in mid-table and we were in the promotion mix.

First off the Lenihan contract should have been resolved way, way before Wilder was even considered for Middlesbrough. Secondly given the respective positions of the clubs as recently as last season I find it very difficult to accept this inferiority complex I'm seeing online basically of 'we can't compete with the likes of Middlesbrough'. This is of course what Waggott wants us to believe but the reality is we can compete and there's nothing they should be able to do that we can't. Their greater ticket income a drop in the ocean when you consider what their wage bill must be compared to ours right now.  

39 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

The excitement of appointing JDT and GB is slowly being ripped away .. could venkys do what they did to lambert here and offer barley any funds ect?

I suspect so but given the backgrounds of JDT and Broughton I expect they will have a lot more patience than Lambert did. What Lambert and the Championship might consider a good budget is probably very different to what Gregg Broughton sees as a good budget coming from Bodo/Glimt.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What Lambert and the Championship might consider a good budget is probably very different to what Gregg Broughton sees as a good budget coming from Bodo/Glimt.

That was exactly my thought when he said we had a 'healthy budget'. Glimt did get some decent money coming in from player sales after their success someone said, but I still imagine Championship money is a step up from what they had to spend.

On the other hand, he has worked at Norwich before, so although there has been inflation since he should have a broad idea of what constitutes decent money here. Then again, he wouldn't have had close eyes on the budget there in his role.

I do wonder if it will surprise him (as it seemed to perpetually surprise Mowbray) if he isn't able to do as much with that budget as he thought. But hopefully his prior experience in England means he has some sense of it. If the transfer budget itself is a few million, I think our biggest issue will continue to be an inability to pay high enough wages. It would be interesting to know how much room is in that wage budget after all the departures the last two seasons. Our 3 contract rebels were probably only on about 20-25k between them though (guessing 4k for Nyambe, 7k for Rothwell and 10-12k for Lenihan). At least a lot of the previous departures were on more so you'd hope for some room. Given we mostly loaned last summer though I suspect the wage budget was cut at that point, unless we just decided to leave a load of room in it (which would mean even less reason to let these contracts expire).

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

RN not so long ago he wasn't signing because Venus had advised him he could join himself and Mowbray at West Brom on much better deals.

That is what you were telling us not long ago, now I know you will reply that it was Rothwells dad said it but even if the case it turned out to be well wrong and are now saying it's the complete opposite that Nyambe's reluctance to initially sign a new deal here was due to bullying from Venus?

It wasn’t actually that wrong….believe it or not, Mowbray was WBA choice before Bruce and he turned them down. Bruce held onto his job by the skin of his teeth or it would’ve come to fruition….

As for Nyambe, his relationship with TM is / was brilliant. It’s Venus who created the bad feeling…which I’ve been told is the thing which destabilised RN 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It wasn’t actually that wrong….believe it or not, Mowbray was WBA choice before Bruce and he turned them down. Bruce held onto his job by the skin of his teeth or it would’ve come to fruition….

As for Nyambe, his relationship with TM is / was brilliant. It’s Venus who created the bad feeling…which I’ve been told is the thing which destabilised RN 🤷🏽‍♂️

I'm gonna go with 'not'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, unleaded said:

Really feel for Waggot sometimes.. Players playing games & yet he has to run a ship that’s leaking money ….

These 3 players had no intention to resign and have been playing the club for years now …. Even Mowbray was fed up of answering questions …..They should have been sold off but even then nobody wanted to sign them apart from Bournemouth in the last 6 years but the owners put a stop to that ….. Waggots done well with GB & jDT by hook or by crook …..

The quicker the round table gets installed at Brockhall the better we can start signing players ……

I think you are right that Rothwell didn't want to stay. I don't understand Nyambe situation cos 1 minute he and his agent walked away from talks in January and then suddenly he re-engaged with Rovers in April all to now walk away. I get the feeling Nyambe and his agent have being playing Rovers for fools tbh

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Not selling JR at Christmas was sacrilege. SW and TM had four players including Siriki Dembele and Jed Wallace lined up on long deals which would’ve cost net Zero against the sale, only for Suhail (Venkys) to refuse the sale.

Wasn't Callum Styles from Barnsley someone he wanted to sign here. I hope we go back in for him. 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

The key is going to be what budget is available to Broughton and JDT and what the chain of command is to get deals done.

I am worried that as there has been no India trip this signals a tight budget as they tend to only cough up serious money following India trips. 

If Broughton has authority to conclude deals himself we might be in business. If not then little will change.

Broughton has spoken to the owners directly given his words he has said when appointed. 

Broughton has said we have healthy budget transfer wise. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Sound. Have a lovely day…early night for me! Flight out to the sun early doors tmrw 👀😎👍🏼

Fantastic 🤷‍♂️. I didn't realise we were exchanging schedules, but I'm off to see a show in a couple of hours, then possibly out on the town.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

All hell would have broken loose if we had sold the players and them screwed up.

I am also not convinced that the logical conclusion of avoiding this problem - selling Rothwell, Nyambe, Lenihan AND Armstrong last summer - would have been greeted on here with much acclaim at the the time.