BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

The time for sorting Brereton out was 12 months+ ago. 

Once again Waggott and his paymasters have missed the boat. They've tried being clever and saving a few quid, and it has now put us in a very weak and risky position. 

Ineptitude doesn't quite cover it. An absolute sh1t show 3 years in the making neglecting contracts and trying to corner cut.

£10 million down the drain this summer already and more to come when we are forced to shift Brereton for a knock down fee.

• Like 6

There is some serious over-optimism going on here to think there is a chance BBD is going to sign a new deal here unless he gets a Dack style injury, or maybe doesn't find a suitor this summer and his form collapses back to the Brereton we signed or by some miracle we go up before he becomes a freebie.

I can't envision why he would sign a deal on less than 40k p/w, and I can't envision us offering much more than about half that. Tbh I'm not even sure 40k would do the trick when some of the interested clubs would probably offer 60k and a better league/profile.

It'll be easier to resign yourselves to the fact the absolute longest he will realistically be here is until next summer, which would represent a disaster as it means a lot of money pissed away. Best we can hope for is a quick big money sale.

Not saying we shouldn't try to get him to sign, but that's more on principle than expectation.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Once again Waggott and his paymasters have missed the boat. They've tried being clever and saving a few quid, and it has now put us in a very weak and risky position. 

Ineptitude doesn't quite cover it. An absolute sh1t show 3 years in the making neglecting contracts and trying to corner cut.

£10 million down the drain this summer already and more to come when we are forced to shift Brereton for a knock down fee.

How do you know nothing has been discussed as of this date? 

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure Brereton is gone. The only thing which makes me say this is its clear as day that he really likes it here. He's got good mates, he's a leader in the side, and he looks like he is really enjoying his football. 

Greg Broughton is in Portugal for the first few days. We do need to slap a contract down in front of him, insert a release clause as an incentive, and have a deadline for it being signed. Our cards are on the table then. Show him we really want him to stay, and then if he turns it down, it's understandable on a human level if we start offering him around to other clubs.

Personally I think it would be a good thing for his career to spend one more season with us. I don't have the fear that his form last season was a purple patch. He'll retain his value, and there is a hell of a lot of development left in him, which he'll need minutes to fulfill. The fact he is a leader of the side can also help accelerate and bring out that potential. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This forum would have lost it's mind if the club had extended BBD's contract 12 months ago.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, pomster said:

It’s all poppycock!

Has to be his agent trying to push the move for him, probably with the cooperation of maggot and co 

Was just about to say similar, defintely someone trying to force a the interested parties into action... Not necessarily BBs agent could by someone from rovers trying to make something happen quickly

4 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

This forum would have lost it's mind if the club had extended BBD's contract 12 months ago.

So? Who gives a feck what ‘roverboy82’ and his pals thinks about anything?

It’s for the club to ignore noise from message boards and the like and to protect its assets.

And I don’t think that’s even true, SG renewed his deal and there was just a collective shrug, no minds being particularly lost.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Why do you always take the most optimistic approach to any discussion of the club? 

Its not like much positive has happened in 12 years, especially in the area of protecting our assets.

Edited by 47er

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

So? Who gives a feck what ‘roverboy82’ and his pals thinks about anything?

It’s for the club to ignore noise from message boards and the like and to protect its assets.

And I don’t think that’s even true, SG renewed his deal and there was just a collective shrug, no minds being particularly lost.

Most people (me included) had written BBD off as a dud this time last year. The overwhelming view on here, should he have been offered a new contract a year ago, would have likely been that it was further evidence of the club's disfunction. To now slate the club with the benefit of 12 months hindsight is prime wishing to have your cake and eat it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Most people (me included) had written BBD off as a dud this time last year. The overwhelming view on here, should he have been offered a new contract a year ago, would have likely been that it was further evidence of the club's disfunction. To now slate the club with the benefit of 12 months hindsight is prime wishing to have your cake and eat it.

The main worry Gordon is that he becomes the dud again? 

How many goals did he score 2nd half of the season? 

On 26/06/2022 at 14:12, Exiled_Rover said:

I've never been able to tell whether you're a complete fantasist or incredibly well connected.

Randomly running into our new Director of Football on a Sunday morning at Manchester airport has me leaning to the former. 

Cool 👍🏼

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Why do you always take the most optimistic approach to any discussion of the club? 

Its not like much positive has happened in 12 years, especially in the area of protecting our assets.

It’s a simple question stop being so uppity about it ! I will defend the club as and when I see fit as I will also point out deficiencies when I see them.

• Like 1

Is SG signing a new deal a sign of the club’s dysfunction then? Not particularly, he’s a young-ish forward, team regular and he’s best signed up then letting go out the door for nowt.

But again, a few dozen folk on brfcs don’t matter one jot, hindsight or no hindsight, BB was still a mainstay of the squad, young and was a big purchase, just like SG. So you get them signed up as a matter of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

The main worry Gordon is that he becomes the dud again? 

How many goals did he score 2nd half of the season? 

Best we cash in on that bidding war involving English and Continental clubs then. To be fair to him though he had an injury and International absences post Christmas and he finished the season fairly strongly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

most people doesn't think Ben Brereton was even good enough before last season including yourself. Nowhere did you suggest we should offer him a new contract here so lets not start rewriting history here JH. 

Rovers have offered a new contract last season and he hasn't accept it that why we have activate the 12 months contract extension. 

28 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

You are right but when he proved the majority of us wrong by January new contract negotiations should have been the absolute priority.

• Like 2

Always find who a club puts in promotional materials as somewhat telling of any transfer stuff. Not nailed-on either way, but you’d imagine someone may say, “yeah, he doesn’t look likely to stay beyond the summer, best leave him out.”

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I don't care whether it has or not. Changes nothing. Discussions are free and easy. Getting business done is the benchmark.

The key to managing this is getting players tied down early before the vultures start hovering.

We can spend all January talking to Assombalonga. End result is he doesn't come.

We can spend years talking to Lenihan, Nyambe, Brereton, Armstrong. End result is no contract extensions and a massive loss to the club.

We can talk about good budgets, grand plans and exciting players. End result is those things cost money and need getting over the line.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

You are right but when he proved the majority of us wrong by January new contract negotiations should have been the absolute priority.

Chaddy mentions that the club did that to no avail. It's a regrettable situation but I don't think Rovers are alone in this as clubs were reluctant to commit to long term contacts during Covid. I read somewhere that Bayern were going to lose a player they wanted to keep because of this very situation (I can't remember who it was) Hopefully, we can get a fee of circa £20m and the owners let Tomasson and Broughton test their mettle with the proceeds.

Over 15% of the season gone before deadline day... 7 games where we're likely severely lacking many starting calibre players - including presumed inactivity in the loan market which is usually a close to deadline day thing for Rovers.

Unless Broughton has some actual power (+ knowledge) and can sanction deals, we could be well under 10 points by September 2nd without at least 4 new quality starters.

God help us if Brereton does go right around deadline day and the money from his sale is our only means of a budget. Planning to sell him but buying NOW when teams assume we're skint is far more logical - Brereton does have a market.

Wage budget should be healthy after all these departures from last season and before - we have probably 8 players on "Championship" wages, and another 8 squad players on youth/cheap deals.

Rovers need to be looking at the free agents as a source of urgency or could be screwed (regardless of how we feel about JDT and Broughton).

Must have been 100 decent names of soon to be free agents mentioned on this forum already from domestic and abroad... I mean shit, we've let 3 players go ourselves that would/could/should walk into 20 other Championship teams XI.

Waggott just won't pay up.