BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The Club would have been in a far better position imo  if the owners had actually been a lot more invested and  hands on and over-ruled Mowbray on various occasions over the years.

- Not paying £2m over 2 years for Mulgrew to play for League 1 Clubs

- Not handing Gladwin a new deal to train with us to get fit.

- Not handing out lengthy deals to dross like Evans and Bennett and the ageing Graham

- Not giving Downing another deal then never using him.

- Not paying players who hadnt featured at all  in the Covid hit season for another 3 months at the end

- Not paying £5m for Gallagher who wasn't particularly good first time he was here

- Not signing Chapman twice and rarely playing him on either occasion.

- Not signing Davenport and rarely playing him

- Not handing out a 4 year deal to the useless Pears and another to a Greek keeper who was never used

- Pre pandemic, not running massively bloated squads full of squad fillers

- In conjunction with the above, stipulating on the contrary that the key assets in the squad should be protected and not be allowed to approach the last twelve months (or less) of their contracts. 

You think I have an agenda against Mowbray and you'd be right in that respect as I regard him as pound for pound one of the worst managers we've ever had. On the flip side of the coin I find your insistence on defending him against every single word of criticism very odd. 

It comes across as if you were related to him.

His transfer record is very mixed (plenty of good and bad) and I wanted him sacked both this summer and last. I defend him when say things that are blatantly untrue ie one of (you have previously said the) worst managers ever. Just a bog standard one who did ok overall.

But owners should never overrule the manager on footballing decisions. If they dont trust the manager they should sack the manager and do at normal football clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His transfer record is very mixed (plenty of good and bad) and I wanted him sacked both this summer and last. I defend him when say things that are blatantly untrue ie one of (you have previously said the) worst managers ever. Just a bog standard one who did ok overall.

But owners should never overrule the manager on footballing decisions. If they dont trust the manager they should sack the manager and do at normal football clubs.

Jack used to over rule managers on players all of the time. So it's a bit unfair to slaughter Venky's for wanting to keep the team together for a playoff push.

What I don't get is if Paul Mani was correct on the players lined up with the Rothwell sale, why didn't we just buy them as Venky's had provided more funds for January signings as confirmed by Waggott and Mowbray. It's just we didn't sign anyone. Maybe he expected a new contract first?

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, phili said:

Jack used to over rule managers on players all of the time. So it's a bit unfair to slaughter Venky's for wanting to keep the team together for a playoff push.

What I don't get is if Paul Mani was correct on the players lined up with the Rothwell sale, why didn't we just buy them as Venky's had provided more funds for January signings as confirmed by Waggott and Mowbray. It's just we didn't sign anyone. Maybe he expected a new contract first?

Do you really believe Jed Wallace was close to signing here?

• Like 2

Jacob Holland Wilkinson has been on trial at Rovers, but is likely to choose Sunderland. He looks very similar to Peter Thomas who featured last night, which is where the confusion came from. 

Re the contracts - surely we can draw a line under them now. No one can be forced to sign them, it’s based almost purely on the individual and how they perceive themselves. That’s why the likes of Dack, Buckley, Trav and Kaminski signed whilst the others didn’t. You offer them what you can and it’s then upto them. The biggest and only real mistake is not pushing them out of the door for a fee in one of the last two summers.

Havong Wallace, Dembele and two others lined up for net zero on the Rothwell deal in January is a sickener. Though I can understand the stance of Venkys not to want to let Joe go, in hindsight, it would’ve been a good move for the club.

Of the youth - They like Phillips. Very excited, there’s £4m - £5m on the table now from a couple of circling PL clubs but we believe he’ll be a £25m+ defender very soon. Adam Wharton and Harry Leonard are the other top ones but none are expected by us to breakthrough and be mainstays so we need those 5-6 senior positions filling sooner rather than later.

The big one for me is Bezza. He needs to be pushed out of the door now if he’s not signing . Gone to the highest bidder to prevent us losing a fortune next summer and to empower us to buy this summer.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The Club would have been in a far better position imo  if the owners had actually been a lot more invested and  hands on and over-ruled Mowbray on various occasions over the years.

- Not handing out lengthy deals to dross like Evans and Bennett and the ageing Graham

- Not paying players who hadnt featured at all  in the Covid hit season for another 3 months at the end

- Not paying £5m for Gallagher who wasn't particularly good first time he was here

- Not handing out a 4 year deal to the useless Pears and another to a Greek keeper who was never used

- In conjunction with the above, stipulating on the contrary that the key assets in the squad should be protected and not be allowed to approach the last twelve months (or less) of their contracts. 

You think I have an agenda against Mowbray and you'd be right in that respect as I regard him as pound for pound one of the worst managers we've ever had. On the flip side of the coin I find your insistence on defending him against every single word of criticism very odd. 

Whilst I agree with your main point about wasting money I don't hold Mowbray completely accountable, complicit yes but not entirelyresponsible. These contracts and other types of spend have to be approved by the owners and ignorance might be used in mitigation but they have an advisor on the ground. For example, whatever you think about the Rothwell sale in January who told them to block the move? Certainly not Mowbray because he saw the merits in selling him and reinvesting. I would contend they didn't even know who Rothwell was. 

It all goes back to the dysfunctional, amateurish way they choose to operate with a ridiculous chain of command rendering highly paid people worthless in the big decision making process. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

At least you're honest enough to admit your agenda. I'm no Mowbray apologist and wanted him gone but the bolded comment is clearly BS. Just off the top of my head I give you Kidd, Ince, Berg, Coyle,  Appleton, Lambert and Kean and that's only in the more recent past.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yeti-dog said:

At least you're honest enough to admit your agenda. I'm no Mowbray apologist and wanted him gone but the bolded comment is clearly BS. Just off the top of my head I give you Kidd, Ince, Berg, Coyle,  Appleton, Lambert and Kean and that's only in the more recent past.

Although if you look in our history books the number of worsts next to a TM team is pretty impressive, worst home defeat, worst sequence of games without a win, most number of games without a goal scored etc.

The difference between TM and the ones you mentioned is that those were removed pretty quickly. TM just stayed too long.

• Like 3

Relax....JDT wants to asses squad in Portugal... after this week he will adress our weaknesses and which young guns he think can make it to the first team and the ones who wont..... think theres a last chance for Magloire, Butterworth, Vale and Barnes....

• Like 5

Just now, neophox said:

Relax....JDT wants to asses squad in Portugal... after this week he will adress our weaknesses and which young guns he think can make it to the first team and the ones who wont..... think theres a last chance for Magloire, Butterworth, Vale and Barnes....

Absolutely - I think JDT will get what he wants when he’s ready.

The four youth lads will do REALLY well to impress him enough. Fingers crossed they do! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neophox said:

Butterworth is a frustrating one. Seems to have some ability but no idea what to do with it or have much willing to put in some graft.

Injury prone as well. 

Unless he's had an attitude readjustment, can see him being binned off to the lower leagues.

Don't think Magloire is up to the standard required.

Don't know a lot about Vale to be honest, apart from unimpressive loan stints at Rochdale and Halifax.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

A pre season with a good manager and good coaches should do the trick with Dan

Not sure I agree with that. He just looks disinterested and lazy every time I see him. Think he's one that will end up dropping down the leagues.

Obviously hope I am wrong though

• Like 7