BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

He seemed to have very little time off post playing for Chile in mid June to being back at Brockhall, so maybe it was pre-agreed to have an extra week? (Or he’s sorting out his transfer chillaxing on one of those manufactured islands 🤔)

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said that it doesnt affect transfers. I just dont think Venkys would spend any more money if it didnt exist.

It really isnt. They could sell the player before his contract expires.

Only if a club comes in and makes an offer and of course the player agrees to the move

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Rovers have gone from punching above their weight based on money spent on wages/transfers under the walkers trust in the premiership, to now punching above their weight in the championship.

Venkys put a lot of money in, but it pretty much services the debts. Beyond that our wage structure and money available for transfers is no longer competitive enough for a championship club with aspirations of the premiership. We are not alone in that within the championship and fall in that bottom half category.

As each season passes, we will get closer to being league 1, than premiership.

Everything is on the rise in football, transfer fees, wages, cost of going. At the same time the cost of living is rising even quicker.

In recent times, money from transfers recieved has gone to balancing the books with very little spent in terms of transfer fees.

Rovers are being left behind, and the "run a tight ship theme" looks very much here to stay.

Its very evident that we just cant compete on wages, and still think loans, free transfers and players under a million will suffice. This belief that our academy will keep us pushing forwards towards the premier league is dillusuonal, given very few players in 30 years have come through there and gone on to be exceptional premier league players.

Its sad to say, but we are just making the numbers up, and as each season passes, we will struggle to even do that unless there is a massive shift in the boards/owners ambitions.

The season starts in less than three weeks, and as things stand unless bodies start to arrive (who are at least as good as , the ones who left this summer), we are going to be in for a tough start and a very long season.

Then it seriously begs the question why are they not selling up? 

Rovers have gone from punching above their weight based on money spent on wages/transfers under the walkers trust in the premiership, to now punching above their weight in the championship.

Venkys put a lot of money in, but it pretty much services the debts. Beyond that our wage structure and money available for transfers is no longer competitive enough for a championship club with aspirations of the premiership. We are not alone in that within the championship and fall in that bottom half category.

Everything is on the rise in football, transfer fees, wages, cost of going. At the same time the cost of living is rising even quicker.

In recent times, money from transfers recieved has gone to balancing the books with very little spent in terms of transfer fees.

Rovers are being left behind, and the "run a tight ship theme" looks very much here to stay.

Its very evident that we just cant compete on wages, and still think loans, free transfers and players under a million will suffice. This belief that our academy will keep us pushing forwards towards the premier league is dillusuonal, given very few players in 30 years have come through there and gone on to be exceptional premier league players.

Its sad to say, but we are just making the numbers up, and as each season passes, we will struggle to even do that unless there is a massive shift in the boards/owners ambitions.

The season starts in less than three weeks, and as things stand unless bodies start to arrive (who are at least as good as , the ones who left this summer), we are going to be in for a tough start and a very long season.

Exactly.

The writing for this was on the wall last summer but it's gone over a lot of heads because of that fantastic run of form and 2nd place.  It was pitched as Mowbrays genius journey finally bearing fruit in growing a team for promotion but the reality of it was very different.

There was a budget cut last summer and push towards lower wages model that can only be done by filling the squad with youth. There's another push towards that this summer it's a massive risk but they've stuck all their eggs in changing management structure in the hope it'll see us through.

There is no budget or driving ambition for promotion and never was which after last season is criminal given the position we were in. 3 key players gone screams this loud and clear never mind no quality coming in so despite JDT and co possibly being a modern upgrade on the last lot the actual playing squad has suffered another very big downgrade....so far.

I'll snap hands off for 11th place right now.

• Like 4

Great post Glen, there’s so much truth in there. My hope is that they’re not stupid enough to believe that we can get into the PL in the model that we’ve seen recently. The changes in manager and system (DoF / Head coach) etc tells us that there is a new plan. So fingers crossed it involves generation of cash from transfers that’s then reinvested as I believe that’s literally the only way we’re going to progress.

Serious question regarding the perceived ambitions of the owners. Assuming you or I were billionaire owners of Rovers, how actually would we be able to legitimately get anymore money into the club for wages and transfer fees? FFP kills our affordability! Sheikh Mansoor couldn’t fix it, surely?

• Like 2

Actually become a trading club instead of saying you are one. Appoint competent people on the football side (may have happened, time will tell), appoint competent people on the non football side.

FFP is a reality so you have to become more than the sum of your parts, operate smartly, this club has been the opposite for a decade now.

• Like 9

As others have said, we are stagnating on so many levels to try and increase revenue.

Getting more bums on seats and becoming more savvy when it comes to sponsorship are two obvious avenues. If we had reduced ST prices and got more people in the ground then our overall income levels would increase significantly. Instead, we are incredibly short sighted and just try to rinse a core contingent as much as possible.

9 minutes ago, BigUts said:

As others have said, we are stagnating on so many levels to try and increase revenue.

Getting more bums on seats and becoming more savvy when it comes to sponsorship are two obvious avenues. If we had reduced ST prices and got more people in the ground then our overall income levels would increase significantly. Instead, we are incredibly short sighted and just try to rinse a core contingent as much as possible.

I don’t think we’d ever sell enough tickets to compete with the clubs receiving parachute payments. The only viable way I can see is to sell one or two each season for £30m and then invest half back into the squad on 4x £4m type players with a view to selling another two the next summer…meaning that every year you’ve improved the club by +2 good players. Sales of academy stars are free hits…

But even IF Venkys decided to pump in £50m today they couldn’t. Wed fail FFP….

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Out of interest, and i genuinely have no idea. has FFP changed over the past 4 years at all?

If not, how could we spend £6/7m on Brereton and £5m on Gallagher the year after with only Raya going out, with similar match day takings as we get now, but we can't spend a similar amount this summer?

Guessing we had a bigger wage bill then too with the likes of Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Graham etc on the books too.

Hopefully someone can explain because it doesn't make any sense to me, or are we blaming the covid period of no income?

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think we’d ever sell enough tickets to compete with the clubs receiving parachute payments. The only viable way I can see is to sell one or two each season for £30m and then invest half back into the squad on 4x £4m type players with a view to selling another two the next summer…meaning that every year you’ve improved the club by +2 good players. Sales of academy stars are free hits…

I agree with the parachute payments, but other clubs have competed at the top end of the league and gone up. Check Forest last season. 

Whether its a silver bullet or not, we should increase all revenue, all the time. It give us the best chance possible of success. The more money we have coming in the more we can spend, no matter how small that increase is. As it stands we will have gone backwards over the past 3/4 years on the methods of revenue mentioned in my prior post.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Maths not your strong point at school then? Half of 60 is 30 not 16.

Very optimistic to think we could sell two players for £30m each every year imo. And I also think that you only thrive on the pitch by keeping hold of your better players and building round them.

We competed perfectly well last season up until January then bad management and poor decision making on and off the pitch let us down. Thankfully football isn't an exact science corresponding precisely to revenue.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

You (some people) think that his stock is very high right now. It's unclear as to whether or not there are top division clubs that agree with that. 

He's been linked with a few moves, but he's got a good PR team behind him now. I'd say his stock would be significantly higher as a free agent. I'm not sure many clubs will be willing to risk 20m(ish) on the basis of 6/7 months of good form. 

All waiting to get him on a free is my guess. No risk there!

Edited by 47er