BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

There is no way Nixon is right about us taking on Ben Davies' full wages. He's on 60k a week at Liverpool.

https://empireofthekop.substack.com/p/eotk-insider-opinion-ben-davies-wages

Good spot. Would be interesting to see what the overall financial package would be then, you'd have thought our absolute limit would be about a third of that if we're paying a fee on top. 

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Some good news today at least.

Screenshot_2022-07-12-12-55-09-13_8e20900bf147cd4ca338051507fbb763.jpg

I dunno, Burnley scoring 20 million for an inexperienced CB seems more annoying than anything else. It's more than enough money to score a good replacement for this level and have left over to strengthen other areas.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I dunno, Burnley scoring 20 million for an inexperienced CB seems more annoying than anything else. It's more than enough money to score a good replacement for this level and have left over to strengthen other areas.

They’re unlucky to only get 20 million for him to be fair, from what I’ve seen of him I can imagine wolves selling him to one of the big four for a lot more than that a few years from now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There is no way Nixon is right about us taking on Ben Davies' full wages. He's on 60k a week at Liverpool.

https://empireofthekop.substack.com/p/eotk-insider-opinion-ben-davies-wages

Is that true that he is on £60k a week?

Very surprised if so.Why would they pay him that?No chance other clubs were offering him that sort of money surely.

He would have been on 20k at max at Preston and I doubt they were even paying him that much 

41 minutes ago, pomster said:

GB then yeah i could understand that because it’s a new role for him. But JDL i’m not so sure? why risk damaging your reputation.
JDL must of been promised or has been sold on an idea. If these are not kept he will walk at christmas or it will be the end of season if they’re not met

If it was just about success he could probably have stayed at Malmo and competed to win the league again and be in the Champs league.

He obviously wants to test different waters and the EPL is known all over Europe as one of the toughest.  Probably has a higher profile across the world than the Scandanavian top leagues and quite a few others.  So there's a lot to like even if he's taken on a huge task.

Perhaps he rushed into it a bit at the last min although iv'e no doubt there was some big talk helped tempt him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Is that true that he is on £60k a week?

Very surprised if so.Why would they pay him that?No chance other clubs were offering him that sort of money surely.

He would have been on 20k at max at Preston and I doubt they were even paying him that much 

Another source I saw said 60k too. He was moving to one of the biggest sides in world football when they had a defensive crisis, and the fee was puny. So his agent clearly did what agents do and scored him a very good deal with the difference. He must have negotiated a lot harder than Preston did (not surprising, same club that let Dolan go for free). The average Prem salary is 75k I think I read the other day, so although it's outlandish to us, it really isn't to Liverpool.

48 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If they reinvest as little as they have so far, then it'll certainly be a downgrade.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hope not. Even at 25-30k if that's what he's on, plus a million, is 2 to 2.25 million just to have him for a season. Fuck that. I'd rather put it towards a permanent signing there.

Money like that on a loan would be madness... If we were looking to seriously push for promotion i'd get it, but aren't we expecting to have more of a transitional season? Money down the drain.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Money like that on a loan would be madness... If we were looking to seriously push for promotion i'd get it, but aren't we expecting to have more of a transitional season? Money down the drain.

Have you never heard of leasing brand new audi or BMW like 50k car for fuck all lease payments?  You are just funding the depreciation on Liverpools books...if we bought someone permanent for 2m it would.not be as beneficial in terms of risk.  We know we would be getting a top notch player with BD...or you can spunk 2-3m on an unproven...up to you?

They can write a lot of a cost off against corporation tax , its classed as an operating lease....

Id take the better player as a supporter every fecking time

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

The loan fees for Tosin, Reed etc must've been well north of 1 million maybe even a million on it's own just for Tosin.

Those players helped keep an average side in mid table and we are facing similar dilemmas now imo.  Going off last season there's an outside chance we can replicate it with a few decent additions.

Only if JDT comes up with an unexpected functional formula that last a few months though.

46 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hope not. Even at 25-30k if that's what he's on, plus a million, is 2 to 2.25 million just to have him for a season. Fuck that. I'd rather put it towards a permanent signing there.

I'd have thought the £1m loan fee was pretty standard for a decent PL prospect.

All hinges on how much of their wage you have to stump up after that.

Personally I see it as completely dead money unless they get you promoted, rather like renting a house as opposed to having a mortgage. Should be used very sparingly for that one extra special player who could make all the difference.

Not as the cornerstone of your transfer policy.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd have thought the £1m loan fee was pretty standard for a decent PL prospect.

All hinges on how much of their wage you have to stump up after that.

Personally I see it as completely dead money unless they get you promoted, rather like renting a house as opposed to having a mortgage. Should be used very sparingly for that one extra special player who could make all the difference.

Not as the cornerstone of your transfer policy.

He's not a prospect, he's 27 in August. I remember we supposedly paid a £1 mill loan fee for Tosin (and I think that was partly because we wouldn't cover most of his wages) but apart from that I've not heard of us paying that kind of loan fee. If we have been doing that routinely for most of our loans we have really been fucking ourselves and not making the most of our budget.

• Like 1

It was well documented at the time Tosin cost a hefty wedge but how do they assess loan fees ?

A fee plus wage contribution, just fee or just overal wages total ?

I'll have to disagree with Sharpe on this one.

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

You could argue all proven players that would do a job.

Shane Long guarantees you 15+ goals. 

Can't say the same for any of our players.

Don't think you could say it about BREO either who scored nothing second half of the season 

Shane Long is 35 years old and isn't a goalscorer. Do you really think he will score 15 goals this season?

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Why's that then?

They overspent and were sanctioned, yet despite that have survived, still have a decent looking squad, haven't slashed costs right back and are signing players.

Speaking of 'only frees and cheap loans' what are you expecting us to do? Spend money? Think you'll be disappointed if so.

For what its worth we might as well be under a transfer embargo. Could still sign cheap loans / nobody which is what we are going to do without an embargo.

Reading are signing players who was awful. Yes they have been sanction and can only pay 8k a week wages. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ben Davies is a very good player at this level. I can't see it happening however, firstly because of his wage demands and also I am not sure how it would work with 2 left footed centre backs. Quality wise, he likely is as good as we could get. Would say a lot about our supposed intentions with expectations of £3m being spent on one centre back to loaning one in however.

Isn't the same has playing 2 right footed player at centre back tbh? 

I remember Barnsley doing it Liam Lindsay and Ethan Pinnock. 

Not saying it's ideal but if they are happy with it then fine. 

I'd shake up the loan system. PL clubs hoard talent and make a mint loaning them out and then selling them on. I think if you loan a player under a certain age and they make a certain number of appearances for you then you should be entitled to a few % of any sale proceeds. Ludicrous that loaning players costs so much. 

• Like 4