BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Firstly, Broughton is not employed in a marketing capacity and I would not expect him to "communicate the offering" as you say.  However, three senior executives / managers who should communicate on a regular basis are Waggott, Broughton and JDT - any fan who does not either understand or believe that needs to give their head a serious wobble - lack of communication is a relationship killer (club and fans in this instance).

Broughton or Waggott don't need to communicate right now. Broughton focus should be on bringing players and staff in. Not speaking to the media. Waggott should talk only about non playing activities and after we know the final ST sales. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

GB said we had a healthy budget

His words were something like a healthy budget compare to clubs without parachute payments 

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

In todays market £4 million is nothing and when we look at fees for permanent signings across the piece its classed as cheap.

Sadly football fees are still on the rise, with very average players going for twice that.

4 million for championship club with no parachute payments is alot unless you sell 1 key player for alot of money and reinvest some of the money on signing. 

55 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Anyone ITK heard anything about Rovers interest in Derby County midfielder Max Bird? 

would be quality signing and good investment for the club

17 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The fact he went Sheff Utd suggest if there was an inch of interest we couldnt afford it, and bar some paper talk there is no suggestion we even bid for him.

Well its appears we did bid for him and Venkys was backing JDT for this transfer according to Alan Nixon

17 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Wages we can offer is only the money we have released by players moving on. Its the same collective budget.

which is about 40 to 60 k then

15 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The fact he went Sheff Utd suggest if there was an inch of interest we couldnt afford it, and bar some paper talk there is no suggestion we even bid for him.

Season ticket sales are low, sponsorship is local and very low in terms of revenue, 

Revenue in general is very low for a championship side, i'm not sure where people think the money is coming from to have a real go in the transfer market.

GB will be finding life tough, as Valuations of players is beyond our means.

Wages we can offer is only the money we have released by players moving on. Its the same collective budget.

Transfer fees are going to be reliant on BBD sale and the generosity of the Raos on how much of that can be reinvested

Yeah but we lost deadwood that were on decent enough money.Bj 10k per week and Davenport who wasn't even making the squad half the time.20 k in wages there.I honestly think  there is a high probability Garrett would contribute just as much as both combined and what's he on?Couldn't the savings there go to paying a higher wage to a better player? 

I have to question the wisdom of Tomosson taking the job on if he doesn't even have enough money to go to the likes of Barnsley and take Styles and Brittain.

He might claim to not know what's going on but by the way he is speaking specifically after the Accrington and then Dundee games about Davies etc  he came across to me as someone who thought we had the finances to complete a few deals

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Last time Rovers had a Director of Football we got relegated. 

Mark Venus was director of football for the past few seasons just not confirmed by club but Waggott and Mowbray confirmed he was in this role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Firstly, Broughton is not employed in a marketing capacity and I would not expect him to "communicate the offering" as you say.  However, three senior executives / managers who should communicate on a regular basis are Waggott, Broughton and JDT - any fan who does not either understand or believe that needs to give their head a serious wobble - lack of communication is a relationship killer (club and fans in this instance).

Who says we are borassic?  GB said we had a healthy budget - if he is lying then that is unforgivable.  If indeed we are 'skint' then the fans should be told that just like we were at times in the 1970's / 1980's then aspirations can be moderated and frustrations minimised.

Broughton's job started on day 1 and that's when judgement starts.  At the moment, as far as I can see, he has brought zilch to the party - time for him to either sh1t or get off the pot.

We should not make excuses for guys who are paid relative fortunes in comparison to the average fan.

I think you’re confusing what’s reasonable to expect with what you want to happen. It’s not unreasonable for you to demand a level of communication from the club, but you’re setting yourself up for disappointment and the point I’m getting at is that it’s really not Broughton’s job to be running 20-minute interviews with club media or local media every week. The nature of JDT’s role means he’ll face the media a minimum of twice a week (pre- and post-match, assuming at least a game a week on average), but where else do clubs put their execs out to speak to media on a similar basis?

If we’re not competitive on wages - whether structure or capital to blame - then what other way do we categorise our position in the market?

To suggest Broughton has brought nothing as yet, itself suggests you’re not paying attention. The consensus so far has been he brought the manager in, unless I’ve missed clarification on that.

I’m not excusing Waggott, who’s clearly behind the times and the commercial strategy (which he’s ultimately responsible for) for the club speaks volumes. However I would excuse Broughton on the basis that he’s mere weeks into a job and the reason I initially commented is that it’s thoroughly unhelpful to stoke a fire of blame towards individuals this early, not least when beating them with an irrelevant stick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Season ticket sales are low, sponsorship is local and very low in terms of revenue, 

Revenue in general is very low for a championship side, i'm not sure where people think the money is coming from to have a real go in the transfer market.

GB will be finding life tough, as Valuations of players is beyond our means.

Transfer fees are going to be reliant on BBD sale and the generosity of the Raos on how much of that can be reinvested

Come on. The Rao family are very rich. They have spent money .. Armstrong, BBD, Gally... they could do it again

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

I think you’re confusing what’s reasonable to expect with what you want to happen. It’s not unreasonable for you to demand a level of communication from the club, but you’re setting yourself up for disappointment and the point I’m getting at is that it’s really not Broughton’s job to be running 20-minute interviews with club media or local media every week. The nature of JDT’s role means he’ll face the media a minimum of twice a week (pre- and post-match, assuming at least a game a week on average), but where else do clubs put their execs out to speak to media on a similar basis?

As far as I can see, this whole thing has gone off due to JDT saying "you'll have to ask Gregg about that" yesterday, in relation to the transfer situation.

A few of us are then saying "Ok, where is Gregg, why's he gone quiet all of a sudden?". Then we read that he is apparently refusing to do interviews until after the window closes. The reason for the discontent is clear, isn't it?

Our manager is name checking Broughton. Go and ask him, is basically what he said. Broughton's in charge of recruitment, so why is it unreasonable to want him to tell us what's going on?If he doesn't speak, where else are we meant to get answers from?

The buck passing goes on, IMO, with a new layer added for good measure. Who is accountable for this mess of a transfer window? Nobody knows who is to blame. Nobody is stepping forward to talk. It's just how they want it, IMO.

46 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I didn’t like the thought of him and Wharton - two left footers - at the back in a four if I’m honest. 

It is concerning that it’s another who we’ve had an interest in, who is going elsewhere. We’ll be into the Z list before long.

However do most teams manage with two right footers at the back?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He had 6 months left on his deal when Liverpool bought him.

If he had been under a longer contract and a team wanted to buy him at that time Preston would have been looking for at least £5 million for him.

He was one of the better defenders in the Championship at that time.

And he's currently surplus to requirements, having never played a game for them in 2 years.

The main issue is that fans are frustrated by the lack of activity.

Last season the expectations were very low. After an amazing start, where we got a new Striker called Diaz who fired us into Second place, expectations and excitement increased.

Our collapse down the table was universally seen as the result of a clueless and unambitious manager.

Get shut of Mowbray, get an exciting new manager, hire a few better first team players and we should be in the play offs. Easy.

Mowbray out. Tick

JDT in. Tick.

So just the better players needed.

And here we are.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but we lost deadwood that were on decent enough money.Bj 10k per week and Davenport who wasn't even making the squad half the time.20 k in wages there.I honestly think  there is a high probability Garrett would contribute just as much as both combined and what's he on?Couldn't the savings there go to paying a higher wage to a better player? 

I have to question the wisdom of Tomosson taking the job on if he doesn't even have enough money to go to the likes of Barnsley and take Styles and Brittain.

He might claim to not know what's going on but by the way he is speaking specifically after the Accrington and then Dundee games about Davies etc  he came across to me as someone who thought we had the finances to complete a few deals

I THINK they're in for 3-4 quality players, with the rest of the squad being filled out by Academy graduates... which realistically is how it always should have been at this level.

If they're not being backed to get those 3-4 players then they'll both walk - they're both qualified and ambitious enough to land good jobs elsewhere. Mowbray was always backed, so hopefully this silence is just them doing their due diligence on the right players, rather than there being no money available. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

However do most teams manage with two right footers at the back?!

Because right footers tend to have a better left foot than left footers have a right foot. Don’t ask me why but that’s how it is. Just think of the left footed players you know and how many of them are one footed ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mark Venus was director of football for the past few seasons just not confirmed by club but Waggott and Mowbray confirmed he was in this role. 

Mowbray was the manager and the buck stopped with him.

Venus may have had some extra responsibilities leaning towards DOF,  but they were seemingly a bolt on to his main role as assistant manager.

Look, let’s hope this turns out to be a fabulous success.

We just badly need to start making some breakthroughs in the transfer market.

We are well behind where we need to be at this moment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Mowbray was the manager and the buck stopped with him.

Venus may have had some extra responsibilities leaning towards DOF,  but they were seemingly a bolt on to his main role as assistant manager.

Look, let’s hope this turns out to be a fabulous success.

We just badly need to start making some breakthroughs in the transfer market.

We are well behind where we need to be at this moment.

Some of Venus’s extra responsibilities amount to being an estate agent and clerk of works.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Because right footers tend to have a better left foot than left footers have a right foot. Don’t ask me why but that’s how it is. Just think of the left footed players you know and how many of them are one footed ?

Somebody also posted on here the other day about this and how it’s effectively, all about marginal gains, which at this high level can make a big difference. You’re right though, 99% of the time it’s this way with left footers (MGP excepted!).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Somebody also posted on here the other day about this and how it’s effectively, all about marginal gains, which at this high level can make a big difference. You’re right though, 99% of the time it’s this way with left footers (MGP excepted!).

I wasn’t MGP’s biggest fan but you couldn’t fault his ability to strike the ball with both feet. Up there with the best in that respect.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As a left footer myself, it pains me to say, my right foot is for standing on only.

Same with pretty much all left footers I know tbh.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I THINK they're in for 3-4 quality players, with the rest of the squad being filled out by Academy graduates... which realistically is how it always should have been at this level.

If they're not being backed to get those 3-4 players then they'll both walk - they're both qualified and ambitious enough to land good jobs elsewhere. Mowbray was always backed, so hopefully this silence is just them doing their due diligence on the right players, rather than there being no money available. 

+1,000

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If that's correct just think for a moment how absolutely ludicrous that is.

• Like 4

Getting beyond a joke now! Less than 2 weeks away from the big kick off and our squad I’d wafer thin. 

Any injuries in the 1st games and we are looking at the academy to step up straight away. It’s a dangerous game to play.