BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or the anticipation.

Or the talent.

Aye but neither did Kevin Davies but he had a pile of other attributes.

Markus Bent was another one, limited player but got goals wherever he went often just through sheer graft.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

The academy costs £3m+ per year to service, 

When Waggott was trying to flog off half of Brockhall, was it not established that we get a grant towards it's running of c £1.2m p.a.and that therefore it's actual cost to us is c £1.8m ?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye but neither did Kevin Davies but he had a pile of other attributes.

Markus Bent was another one, limited player but got goals wherever he went often just through sheer graft.

I think people make the mistake with Gallagher of thinking he's this up and coming young prospect who will improve whereas in reality he's 27 in a couple of months and isnt going to get any better.

If we want to be successful Gallagher simply isn't good enough and imo if anyone offers the money back we paid for him or even 60% thereof we should snap their hands off.

He's not on his own in not being good enough of course, it's far easier to count the players who are.

Massive window still ahead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Galgaterover10 said:

Genuinely don’t understand comments like this? It’s like you are purposefully looking for a reason to moan! He might end up being a good signing he might not, at the end of the day there is a risk with every signing! I do not get the point about him being relegated, most relegated clubs lose their better players back to the division they were relegated from, you can have good players in bad teams! 

personally just seeing us making some moves and spending some money is a positive because at one point I was concerned the new DOF did not know how to complete a transfer (touch wood as nothing confirmed yet)! 

It’s not the fact he’s been relegated it’s more the fact people seem genuinely giddy about the prospect of merely being linked with someone. It’s incredible peoples standards have fallen so low.

9 days to the start of the season we’ve merely been linked with a player who sounds like he might be slightly better or slightly worse than nyambe. I’m sure street closures for the mass celebrations will be announced imminently. With permanent signings and loanees we still need to replace Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan, van hecke and khadra and that’s just to reach parity with last seasons squad.

By any definition the transfer dealings this summer have been a shambles. If this signing happens and we don’t lose anyone else we still need to sign at least 4 players to effectively break even.

Its a shit show down Ewood 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

Heading a ball like Gestede did was purely down to desire to win the header. Same as tackling was to Stuart Pearce, Ron Harris, Roy Keane or Norman Hunter. Yes there are degrees of competency. But that's the first base. You don't have that desire the rest is irrelevant. Gallagher is a big lad, a proper athlete and there's a good reason he gets linked to Boro and the likes. The raw materials are there. In my opinion, he's too nice.

Agreed. Gallagher frustrates the shit out of me which is why I find him so annoying. In certain games he's an absolute monster and changes the way we play with desire, pressing from the front and using his physique. I think it was Derby at home were he was brought on and he didn't give the whole backline a seconds thought; winning headers, flick ons, slide tackling, blocking, slamming in to centre halves when they cleared the ball.

If he could engage 'beast mode' 90% of the time instead of 10% he could easily be one of the best forwards in this league.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Reports suggesting Poveda will be made available on loan again....

Undecided really on him, just when it looked like he might have started to click he got injured, but prior to that didn't see a great deal.

I'd take him back. He was absolutely dreadful to begin with but the couple of games before his injury he really seemed to turn the corner and showed real glimpses of quality.

Definitely allow us to send him back as part of the loan agreement this time though...!

33 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Undecided really on him, just when it looked like he might have started to click he got injured, but prior to that didn't see a great deal.

By all accounts they were a bunch of tw*ts regarding his loan here so I'd stay well clear. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, matt83 said:

It’s not the fact he’s been relegated it’s more the fact people seem genuinely giddy about the prospect of merely being linked with someone. It’s incredible peoples standards have fallen so low.

9 days to the start of the season we’ve merely been linked with a player who sounds like he might be slightly better or slightly worse than nyambe. I’m sure street closures for the mass celebrations will be announced imminently. With permanent signings and loanees we still need to replace Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan, van hecke and khadra and that’s just to reach parity with last seasons squad.

By any definition the transfer dealings this summer have been a shambles. If this signing happens and we don’t lose anyone else we still need to sign at least 4 players to effectively break even.

Its a shit show down Ewood 

Yes Matt, we know mate.

Do you honestly think we don’t know that having once been a superpower, we’re now very much shopping in a lower market? But having waited for what seems like an age to make one, it’s only natural that people feel euphoric when a seemingly good one happens, right? In context…

Context and choice are key here. Context is the reason most of the working class aren’t depressed about not being middle class, why the middle class aren’t all pissed off about not being millionaires, millionaires not cheesed off about the billionaires and so on. Happiness is a choice brother and just because you can’t see it, don’t steal it from those who do.

Please don’t think that it’s superior intelligence or ‘because you’re a winner either mate. It’s not. There’s lots of intelligent and successful people who choose to enjoy small moments in context, within a bigger picture of turbulence.

• Like 4

Slightly off topic but Huddersfield losing their manager, then best player (imo) O'brien and Toffolo to Forest is a huge blow for them. I can see then having a Barnsley-esque season after they lost Ismael, unless they reinvest well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

I can’t shake the images of him walking around the pitch as if he was above this level last year. Sure it improved, but his initial reaction wasn’t of one to prove he should be playing at a higher level, it was more of a child sulking. 

even later when he seemed 1/2 interested I didn’t think he was head and shoulders above our own players. At this point I’d rather see our own players cut their teeth unless the player is of the quality of jpv, Elliot, or reed. The Poveda’s, Clarkson, Palmers and Giles of the world don’t help us build a club, they just fill space. Space I’d rather see given to our own players. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Potential to be a very good player but as a rule, I never go back. Never the same second time around!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Potential to be a very good player but as a rule, I never go back. Never the same second time around!

I agree in theory although there are exceptions, Henning Berg, Colin Hendry, Chris Price, even David Dunn had a bit of an indian summer in 09-10.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I tend to agree, was never overly convinced either. Given we aint moved for Khadra i'd be surprised if we moved for Poveda.

No doubt GB n JDT have their own targets in mind

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I didn't realise Barnes was 21 already. I've never heard of him (I've watched a few Academy games, it's always been Saadi [sp] and the Gibraltar lad at CB) but that's the age you sink or swim.

I like that JDT is giving them a run with the firsts at 17/18.

Barnes has been with the club since school.

He's been captain of the U23s for 2 or 3 seasons, but lost most of last season due to injury. He was due to play the pre-season last time around, was rated by Mowbray and now seemingly by JDT.

In terms of playing experience, he's ahead of Phillips by some way.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Given Brittain has been a long term target, perhaps we are not as far behind on recruitment than it has appeared.

Good players do get relegated, so not overly worried. He is a good age, very mobile and is one who would be first team ready from the off.

The fee is a massive positive if reports are true, in the fact we are going to spend some money. I think recruiting late if we are making every penny count and being as sure as we can its value is not a bad thing. Had Barnsley not gone down, perhaps the fee may have been more?

There is still much work to be done, but come September 1st, we maybe in a decent place in terms of who we've recruited.

The loans out will be interesting too, as i'd like to think we are targeting clubs to loan to who are going to be challenging for league 1 promotion, as this would be a greater indicator of if our players can step up. I often think league 2 and non league which we have previously sent players to, gives them expereience but not at the level they will face in the championship

I agree. It appears Parks / Rovers list has been retained whilst the filters have been changed to focus on intensity and mobility - essentially a change of filter. But I do like the profile of Brittain.

Interesting few weeks ahead. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I agree in theory although there are exceptions, Henning Berg, Colin Hendry, Chris Price, even David Dunn had a bit of an indian summer in 09-10.

Hendry, definitely….maybeee Henning but I’m not giving you Dunny mate!! 🙈🤣🤣

Youre right, can work out but they’re more the exception to the rule than the rule.

22 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Given Brittain has been a long term target, perhaps we are not as far behind on recruitment than it has appeared.

Good players do get relegated, so not overly worried. He is a good age, very mobile and is one who would be first team ready from the off.

The fee is a massive positive if reports are true, in the fact we are going to spend some money. I think recruiting late if we are making every penny count and being as sure as we can its value is not a bad thing. Had Barnsley not gone down, perhaps the fee may have been more?

There is still much work to be done, but come September 1st, we maybe in a decent place in terms of who we've recruited.

The loans out will be interesting too, as i'd like to think we are targeting clubs to loan to who are going to be challenging for league 1 promotion, as this would be a greater indicator of if our players can step up. I often think league 2 and non league which we have previously sent players to, gives them expereience but not at the level they will face in the championship

JRC needs a loan for me.

Maybe keep Brown as back up to Brittain.

• Like 7