BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Barcelona tonight secured £300mn funding from a US investment group to fund its summer spending spree

I wonder if they'll be looking at full backs with Barnsley?

Not if we get in first with them both!

BBD might be available if they want to shell out £50m of it though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but we have a budget I'd rather 1 decent addition like a styles instead of 2 mediocre/poor signings.

It's not an insult ,it's a fact the management see them daily and may feel 1 or 2 of them can play a part and don't need to bring in the numbers you or I feel we need as they have more insight and expertise than we do.

We wouldn't be the only club in the country not buying a senior player for a certain position as the club feels a player is ready to step up and play senior football.

I know they have more expertise than I do. It doesn't mean that my opinion is invalid and my opinion shouldn't be dismissed because of it.

I have never called to sign 2 mediocre/poor players, its a strawman argument. If the budget literally just about stretches to 4 players, as I said I would prefer a 4th central midfielder to a 5th centre back. Even if we buy a central midfielder and get another on loan due to a limited budget, that would be better than just getting 1. Even if we did get 2, there is scope for a breakthrough, especially over a long season in which we can use 5 subs too.

As you said, perhaps Rich Sharpe's assumptions will be wrong. I hope so in that case.

29 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sharpe has a lot more confidence in Wharton / Garrett et al than I do. 

That said, if Buckley and Travis are the confirmed starters at CM you can probably only afford 1 more quality guy in there to rotate (which should be the aim) based on our wage structure / transfer budget. 

Adam Wharton is going to be an incredible footballer. Hopefully he'll play a good many games this year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnD said:

A fully fit Dack couldn't play a high press game.

A few high press sides have had that one bloke though - usually some maestro well into his 30s to pull the strings, but a talented 20 something with no knees might fit the bill. Surround Dack with other players to do the running for him and it could work.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but we have a budget I'd rather 1 decent addition like a styles instead of 2 mediocre/poor signings.

It's not an insult ,it's a fact the management see them daily and may feel 1 or 2 of them can play a part and don't need to bring in the numbers you or I feel we need as they have more insight and expertise than we do.

We wouldn't be the only club in the country not buying a senior player for a certain position as the club feels a player is ready to step up and play senior football.

100 percent! Right back and central midfield were the two most important areas to improve, considering our young CBs have stepped up well. And we have some potential young left backs also. 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know they have more expertise than I do. It doesn't mean that my opinion is invalid and my opinion shouldn't be dismissed because of it.

I have never called to sign 2 mediocre/poor players, its a strawman argument. If the budget literally just about stretches to 4 players, as I said I would prefer a 4th central midfielder to a 5th centre back. Even if we buy a central midfielder and get another on loan due to a limited budget, that would be better than just getting 1. Even if we did get 2, there is scope for a breakthrough, especially over a long season in which we can use 5 subs too.

As you said, perhaps Rich Sharpe's assumptions will be wrong. I hope so in that case.

It isn't a strawman argument we are a championship side who have to work under Ffp constraints without the external income of some of our competitors.

If a £750k player is better than a £1.5 million player then surely you just buy the £750k player.A league one player with no experience above that Level will 9 times out of 10 be less expensive than one who has the experience.

It isn't rocket science the further you stretch you budget then logically the quality of the individual will go down.Our focus should be on quality not numbers if we are only going with 2 in midfield then why do you need 4 of similar quality, experience and wage?Surely it is better to have 3 of better quality and then a young player who the club feel can do the buisness getting the opportunity if one comes along through injury or suspension or as a sub.

We have done what you want us to do for years in the championship carry to many passengers on decent money.Why pay decent money for a 4th choice midfielder who will only get minutes when the other are unavailable when Garrett can do that job for £1500 a week?

8 minutes ago, AspRover said:

A few high press sides have had that one bloke though - usually some maestro well into his 30s to pull the strings, but a talented 20 something with no knees might fit the bill. Surround Dack with other players to do the running for him and it could work.

paul scholes was`nt a runner,he just had others to do the work,he`d supply the craft

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It isn't a strawman argument we are a championship side who have to work under Ffp constraints without the external income of some of our competitors.

If a £750k player is better than a £1.5 million player then surely you just buy the £750k player.A league one player with no experience above that Level will 9 times out of 10 be less expensive than one who has the experience.

It isn't rocket science the further you stretch you budget then logically the quality of the individual will go down.Our focus should be on quality not numbers if we are only going with 2 in midfield then why do you need 4 of similar quality, experience and wage?Surely it is better to have 3 of better quality and then a young player who the club feel can do the buisness getting the opportunity if one comes along through injury or suspension or as a sub.

We have done what you want us to do for years in the championship carry to many passengers on decent money.Why pay decent money for a 4th choice midfielder who will only get minutes when the other are unavailable when Garrett can do that job for £1500 a week?

Just my opinion, I would like 4 as both mid game and from game to game there will be lots of changes.

The financial side, as I said, I would prefer a 4th CM to a 5th CB so compared to what was reported, I have just changed one of the positions, not added. I also suggested maybe a buy and a loan. I never said pay decent money for 2.

We don't know if Garrett can do that yet, if he can he will break through regardless as and when he is ready.

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

Wasn’t Brotherston a left winger? 

52 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yep number 11...windy on the right from what I remember 

Brotherston was predominantly right footed.

He wore 11 and played out on left wing to accommodate Miller, who, IMO, was useless with his left foot and only marginally better with his right foot.

I remember one night match at home against Crystal Palace when Brotherston was doing very well for Rovers playing out wide on the right and he came up against a very young Kenny Samson at left back for Palace.  It was quite clear that night Samson was a class act and only going to get better whilst perhaps Brotherston had found his level after being released by Spurs on a free transfer.  Samson had Brotherston in his pocket from first whistle and Noel barely got a kick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Reminder about point 1. We aren’t having people being accused of being fans of other clubs, just as we aren’t having people being called club plants.

Just stop it.

WTF? I thought we were in a state of jubilation due to our first signing? Why are people at each other now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

As a Rovers fan, how the F*** was Paul f'n Scholes your first point of reference for a 'maestro well into his 30s'? 😅

er,ok,well what about liam brady then,when west ham brought him back from italy his legs were shot,what a player though,used to amble about the park pinging spot on passes about,is this comparison ok with you😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

er,ok,well what about liam brady then,when west ham brought him back from italy his legs were shot,what a player though,used to amble about the park pinging spot on passes about,is this comparison ok with you😉

Tugay? 😂

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Mike E said:

As a Rovers fan, how the F*** was Paul f'n Scholes your first point of reference for a 'maestro well into his 30s'? 😅

How about Russell Coughlin, then?

I remember Mick Rathbone describing in his autobiography how Coughlin (and another player whose name I forget) used to buy an unsliced loaf from the bakers on Bolton Road, cut it in half, scoop out the middle, buy chips, pie and gravy from the chippy, pour them into the scooped out halves, and then proceed to eat the lot. 😆😆😆

Great player on the ball.

Probably couldn't have coped with today's pressing game, though. ☺️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

How about Russell Coughlin, then?

I remember Mick Rathbone describing in his autobiography how Coughlin (and another player whose name I forget) used to buy an unsliced loaf from the bakers on Bolton Road, cut it in half, scoop out the middle, buy chips, pie and gravy from the chippy, pour them into the scooped out halves, and then proceed to eat the lot. 😆😆😆

Great player on the ball.

Probably couldn't have coped with today's pressing game, though. ☺️

Can we use some actual modern footballers for comparison? 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

- The aim is 2 centre backs, 1 central midfielder and 1 "attacker" with a further striker if and when Brereton leaves. Do we need 2 centre backs more than say 2 central midfielders? I think Travis, Buckley who has only been converted to a deeper role now so whether that will work as well as it theoretically could is unknown, then one more, and little beyond that, is not enough. A couple of injuries and it is the underwhelming Edun who is also needed to cover left back, and untested kids. 

CM: We've lost Rothwell, so he needs replacing. After that, we've lost Johnson and Davenport, who were only squad players, the former a very old and shit one by last season. Davenport was average and extremely injury prone. I'll take two untested but promising kids in their place. We can always loan in January if they're not up to it (I know what you'll reply with to that, yes that's half the season gone, but I don't see us getting relegated nor promoted this season so I really don't care...they'll barely be needed anyway so won't make that much difference).

Davenport played 252 minutes this season gone. He barely counts. Johnson played 905, which was about 905 more than he should have. Some of those were at CB and as a 'second striker'. Between them that's an equivalent to 13 full games. Happy to give Garrett and Wharton about 6.5 games worth of playing time each to see if they're up to it, most likely spread largely over sub appearances, personally, rather than go pay for someone else to get in their way on our limited budget. There's also Edun, who may have been a little underwhelming but less so in CM than Johnson certainly. As you point out though he's not an option there whenever Pickering is unavailable.

At CB, we are probably lining up with 3 of them it sounds like, so we need 5 dependable ones. We have Ayala for about a third of the season, Wharton, New Guy, Carter (who I expect you'll put in the same underwhelming category as Edun?) and then it's untested kids. So yeh I'd say two CBs is a bigger priority than two CMs. This changes a bit if we plan to play 3 CMs too though, in a 5-3-2 say, although then as things stand we could name 3 good mids (let's say Styles, Buckley and Travis) who have no real injury problems historically bar the odd niggle for Travis, but our best 3 CBs would be Ayala (injury prone), Wharton (some history with injuries) and new guy. Also to use the logic from my CM bit, we have lost two very good ones here, not one very good one and two also-rans. I see that as a bigger problem.

If we sell BBD I'd probably say sure, bring another CM in once BBD is replaced. Probably on loan, which I suspect our second CB will be too (giving us time to see if Carter and Phillips are up to it rather than buying someone to get in their way).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, I feel like both would benefit from a loan. Brown has played (and struggled in) one game of a reasonable professional standard at the age of 24, a season of football week in week out at League 1 would be really good for his personal development and to see if he excels ready to come back into contention the year after, rather than just playing occasionally here. Rankin Costello had had many injuries and has struggled at this level, again a season of regular football could be make or break rather than the odd cameo/appearance.

Brown had a decent game at Birmingham imo. 

JRC could do with regular game time..

On a budget though, I would understand loaning out only one, neither have proven their ability at Championship level and both would benefit from regular football which isn't on offer here. I am not overly fussed which one but would probably lean towards prioritising Brown going on loan.

But you do want to keep adding to the wage budget by adding players time after time instead of using these players we got..

I noticed a couple of comments saying as I mentioned yesterday that he struggled at Championship level compared to in League 1. They seem to think that they have replacements internally (a young player called Poku who I saw a few times last season who seems very dangerous) and could do with the money. 

Talented player but I am not sure he would start if Dack is fit.

Comments from who? Barnsley fans? Are we now basing on signings on other team signings or actually proper scouting, research and watching the player over a period of games like our recruitment team do? 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Surprised we have spent money on a defender yes. Don't know much about the lad so hope he's alright. We will have to see if he is better than Wigan's new RB. Find it unbelievable that we've allowed Lenihan and Nyambe to walk for nothing and then seemingly spent decent money replacing them.

I'd hold back on the willy-waving until we've got another 5-6 in and we see if they are any good.

Still well short of where we need to be 1 week before the season starts. Even you must accept that.

He is better than Nyambe imo

I expect another 2 at least in before the QPR game. 

No I dont accept and Given when we appoint Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl 

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sharpe has a lot more confidence in Wharton / Garrett et al than I do. 

That said, if Buckley and Travis are the confirmed starters at CM you can probably only afford 1 more quality guy in there to rotate (which should be the aim) based on our wage structure / transfer budget. 

Indeed. After that you're probably not bringing anyone in who is currently very good, you're either bringing in a has-been like Johnson on no real fee but quite big wages to hang around and play 10 games worth like he did last season, or a cheap punt youth prospect, and we have two of those. Anybody in the say, 26 year old bracket like I'm guessing RF99 would prefer, is going to be bobbins, or too expensive to waste most of the season sat on a bench.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I must admit, I think we need 2x cm’s too!

Intrresting that Nyambe’s deal was pulled. I thought as much…he’s just not great. His agent has probably cost him £3m in wages by not signing that 4yr deal he had on the table.

The club bidding on Styles and Smozics tells me that Dack is on borrowed time. I mentioned shortly after JDT’s appointment that the coaching staff were particularly worried about Dack and Ayala ability to fit in to the high intensity game plan….

I don't think Dack needs to worry about Styles, doesn't really play the same position. Szmodics does, so it's whether they see him as backup for Dack or the other way around. I'd imagine Dack starts with the shirt, given his wage, history with the club, and the injury niggles that mean Szmodics will inevitably get his chance. The club also needs to put him in the shop window if he's on borrowed time, as his injury record and lack of game time in the last two years will have drastically reduced his marketability and value.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brown had a decent game at Birmingham imo. 

JRC could do with regular game time..

But you do want to keep adding to the wage budget by adding players time after time instead of using these players we got..

Comments from who? Barnsley fans? Are we now basing on signings on other team signings or actually proper scouting, research and watching the player over a period of games like our recruitment team do? 

He is better than Nyambe imo

I expect another 2 at least in before the QPR game. 

No I dont accept and Given when we appoint Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl 

I think he was on about Sammie Smozdics there not Brittain. 

• Like 1