BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

26 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not too excited by the prospect of bringing in another lightweight Liverpool midfielder on loan given last season with Clarkson. Hopefully this lad has a bit more about him.

And also, hoping this doesn’t affect the move for Styles.

Yeah really hoping we land Styles.

Deffo don't want to bring in a loan if it ends our interest in him.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Can’t say I’m excited by the prospect of Morton but I have to confess I know little about him. 

He’s coming here for regular game time I just hope there’s no guarantees of that in there.

I’d rather gamble on young talent that would be contracted to us but if it’s an exception to bolster the squad may be ok 

• Like 4

We've had two very different experiences of Liverpool loanees in the last couple of years.  Whilst clearly very different players, let's hope Morton is a success like Elliott was.  EDIT - this is interesting..... playing as an 8 rather than a 6 in training, and Jurgen is very impressed.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/07/11/incredible-klopp-says-hes-given-liverpool-19-year-old-new-role-in-training-and-hes-been-brilliant-at-it/

He also started in some quite big senior games last season.  Champs league at San Siro a PL game vs Spurs and League cup game vs Leicester.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/449955-tyler-morton-has-been-brilliant-he-has-learned-so-much

But, he was hooked at HT vs Leciester after he broke Periera's leg and avoided a straight red: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/12/leicester-defender-claims-he-was-lucky-tyler-morton-tackle-didnt-end-his-season/

Hit and miss let's say.

Edited by Jimmy612

42 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Morton is way ahead of Clarkson at Liverpool, he's had a few games with the first team and wasn't too bad but clearly the business end of the premiership / champions league is not his level yet. I think championship will be a good tester for him. 

Morton played a fair bit for Liverpool last season, including bossing the midfield at the San Siro in the CL. 

Clarkson was nowhere near the Liverpool first team. Morton is more an Harvey Ellliott level of talent. Question over physicality though for central midfield.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

We've had two very different experiences of Liverpool loanees in the last couple of years.  Whilst clearly very different players, let's hope Morton is a success like Elliott was.  EDIT - this is interesting..... playing as an 8 rather than a 6 in training, and Jurgen is very impressed.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/07/11/incredible-klopp-says-hes-given-liverpool-19-year-old-new-role-in-training-and-hes-been-brilliant-at-it/

What’s an ‘8’ and what’s a ‘6’? 
(Not aimed at you Jimmy, more the author of the article).

This ain’t rugby!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

This ain’t rugby!

6 a holding midfielder, 8 more license to get forward and controller with passing etc (i.e. for Liverpool Fabinho a 6 and Thiago an 8).

Morton's game time for Liverpool was as a 6 last season though.

• Like 1

Klopp seems to like Morton:

"Last week, Klopp described Morton’s progress in a new, more advanced role as ‘incredible’.

"The admiration from the German boss would suggest that he may be inclined to keep the teenager at the club for the upcoming season.

"There is every chance that with a few injuries to senior players, Morton could find himself playing regularly, and beating his nine appearances from last season."

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

This ain’t rugby!

6 Travis 8 Rothwell

It's the 'lightweight' comments that concern me most from 'Pool fans. In this league you need to stand your ground, be prepared to take some whacks, and give a fair bit back. Clarkson had none of that; fingers crossed this lad does. 

No doubt he'll have all of our backing once he pulls on the shirt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

6 was always centre half for me, along with 5.  Klopp knows nowt.

Do agree with this. 4 and 8 was always the CM pairing!

I don't mind him as the AMC in our system, or cover for Buckley / Travis. 

If he's as good as those quotes suggest then it alleviates some of the pressure being put on Garrett / Wharton et al. Its a long season, they'll get minutes, but hopefully not as the first guy off the bench.

The increasing fashion for using numbers for positions does amuse me considering any fan under about 35 wouldn’t even remember the days of 1-11. A number ‘6’ would just as likely be wearing ‘23’ or ‘31’.

Still, beats ‘double pivot’…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

This ain’t rugby!

Surely you’re not serious? (and don’t call me Shirley yes).