BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Personally, I think it’s a good thing that our DOF is talking about a strategy that will make the most of our excellent existing resources and provide a healthy and sustainable model for a club of our size going forwards.

Last thing I wanted to hear was “we’re gonna invest millions into established players we can’t really afford, roll the dice and hope we go up to pay for it

Our advantage in this league IS the academy. It has to be the main focus of the direction we go in.

Why is that the alternative?! There is never any middle ground.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Carter is probably a couple of weeks away from being available. 1 center-back coming in would be helpful, but not, in my opinion a necessity.

To each their own but I find it staggering that anybody thinks it isn't a necessity. We are down two of our best CBs from last season, one of the backups is now out for the season and another is out for a month (what the club said if I recall). We have two CBs in total who are proven to be good at this level, and one of them is made of glass. Failing to sign another CB would be footballing suicide.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is that the alternative?! There is never any middle ground.

Well I’m using hyperbole to illustrate my point.

Similarly, I don’t think anyone from the club has said “our only aim is to give minutes to academy players” but it’s in the post I’m replying to.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's the centre of midfield that we look really light in, not the more attacking roles.

If Travis ever doesn't play, who is putting a tackle in?

I’m not saying we are not light, and obviously anything can happen, but I was surprised at this - 

I think Travis started 45 games last season and played 90 mins in 43 of them.

Alfie Mawson still without a club too , I know he was discussed on this boards weeks ago and a lot were of the opinion that he wasn’t the player he used to be but he might just provide the experienced cover at C/B we don’t have 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s looking like pothead the brighton manager does`nt rate van hecke,just get it done greg broughton

Van Hecke is right footed and at this stage he isn't better than either Webster or Dunk.Colwill a left footer so presumably it be between himself and Veltman to play as the left sided centre back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

We have a Travis/Buckley midfield axis that is the envy of many clubs in the Championship. Both young lads, both from the Academy.

We also have another couple of Academy lads who are going to be in and around the 1st team squad over the next year or two and allowed to slowly develop and break into the first team.

This, it would seem, is a problem to some of our fans. 

Another huge problem seems to be Broughton, who has been at the club 5 minutes and has brought 3 players in - 2 of which are on a perm and just about to enter their best years. 

Strange days. 

Agree with most of your post but what are u basing Buckley and Travis will be the envy of most of the championship? Most people outside rovers won't have even heard of them

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

To each their own but I find it staggering that anybody thinks it isn't a necessity. We are down two of our best CBs from last season, one of the backups is now out for the season and another is out for a month (what the club said if I recall). We have two CBs in total who are proven to be good at this level, and one of them is made of glass. Failing to sign another CB would be footballing suicide.

Do we even have a reserve CB for this weekend?  If Phillips is indeed off to Spurs who do we have behind Ayala and Wharton? 

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not his 11 assists. 

10 assists. Buckley got 7 from a different position. He might be able to fill that gap playing deeper, and having another year of experience behind him. Rothwell certainly improved his output last season, no reason John can't.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Do we even have a reserve CB for this weekend?  If Phillips is indeed off to Spurs who do we have behind Ayala and Wharton? 

As I understand it, Phillips has to see out his scholarship which has almost a year left. I've seen nothing suggesting he'll be sold before the weekend/we bring in CB replacements. 

Edited by xtp
  • Like 5