BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

JPVH going to Sunderland means either we were never actually in for him or we couldn't afford him or we have a cheaper option lined up.

I hope it was because we wanted him on a permanent deal and not a loan which is all Brighton was prepared to do. If that's the case and we do get a permanent cb then it works better for us 

58 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Chaddy, our need is immediate. We need quality in the centre of midfield now. It's not about three or four years down the line. Can Adam Wharton and Garrett be counted on to play a key role this season? Are they of the standard required right now? I think we know the answer to both.

Lessons should be learnt from the hype around previous youngsters that didn't lead to any benefit for the first team. "We've got Pike, Butterworth, McBride, Vale" are all things that you said at various stages. None of them made it at Rovers and the latter looks way off it at this level. Ash Phillips is being talked up as a potential worldie, yet he is finding it difficult too as the step up is massive. Wharton and Garrett might turn out to be decent in the future, or they could go the same way as those mentioned. However, to not bring in quality right now in central midfield because of the potential impact on their development is a cop out and an excuse.

Any DoF in the Championship, who opts for a kid on loan in midfield because he doesn't want to block the pathways for two other kids cannot be taken seriously, in my view. These aren't exceptional players we are talking about here. In a league where we need to fight, in an area of the pitch where we need to fight, he seems to be happy with kids being in there as options. Does that sound like somebody who is focusing on quality or promotion to you? That, IMO, looks like an Academy man who is focusing on player development as a priority, and that's why I want him out.

Remember what he said when he first arrived:

“There are going to be three things that allow us to overachieve on the pitch and for Blackburn Rovers to be back in the Premier League we have to overachieve".

I think that says enough about the level of ambition and belief.

I think we need 4 signings before the end of the transfer window. We need a centre back, centre midfielder and forward at least. Then you have decide whether you second centre back or left back that some people want on here. We have maybe 6 million pounds to spend given from what a couple of people have said on here. We need quality players and no average signings are needed. Its whether the budget will stretch that far as people want. 

I don't see Morton as a kid as he is experience at PL and CL. 

Ash Phillips is 17 years old and we shouldn't expect massive things from right now but he should be part of the first team squad here. 

GB and JDT have always said this project and 2 or 3 years footballing strategy from day 1. 

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nah, Travis is a chocolate soldier. He’s a real warrior like Savage was a real warrior. Both are wind up merchants, once they’ve been booked you might as well sub them. Moran, Batty, Speedie, Hendry, Keeley - they were real warriors.

Spot on. he doesnt have the stature to be a proper warrior. He just niggles oponents like Dickov or Bellamy did. 

23 minutes ago, Heinz said:

According to a dutch newspaper, he is going to Sunderland because they play similar / use a similar formation like Brighton… apparently…

https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/sunderland-dicht-bij-komst-van-jong-oranje-verdediger-van-hecke

I'll be filing that in the same folder as his girlfriend won't move to Blackburn or he wants to go to Sunderland because they have a regular ferry service to Holland so he can pop back when he wants.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Training Ground Guru | Gregg Broughton: How to judge the success of an Academy

Found this article on GB.

Funny for this quote when a regional youth dev officer turned up at Luton 10 years ago to audit their Academy:

As our youth development office shared a door with the first team office, manager Mike Newell was sat in the room when the rep came in.

Newell greeted the rep’s arrival with the words, “What the f**k is he doing here?” Our visitor kept his nerve and politely explained that he was there to complete a report on the youth section.

Newell’s reply, which I will never forget, was: “When you have scored the fastest hat-trick in Champions League history you can come here and tell me how to run our Academy. Until then, f**k off!”

And how is Mike Newell's managerial career going?

Assistant Manager at Waterford... oh.

I guess sometimes it pays not to be an egotistical see you next Tuesday and rest on your past accomplishments, eh?

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

This site has an obsession with signing Van Hecke. Don’t get me wrong the lads a class act, but a Mowbray signing, that’s surely where the story ends.

Brighton won’t want him coming here unless we buy him outright, JDT is his own man with this own ideas, why would he be after Van Hecke?

Time to move on.

He was our player of the season, he's obviously within budget, hell fire is it any wonder we want him back? It's not just on here either, it's our entire fanbase. We need a shot in the arm right now, he would be exactly that. The Sunderland deal is a loan deal so you're talking absolute garbage about Brighton only wanting to sell him outright.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nah, Travis is a chocolate soldier. He’s a real warrior like Savage was a real warrior. Both are wind up merchants, once they’ve been booked you might as well sub them. Moran, Batty, Speedie, Nelsen, Andy Todd, Hendry, Keeley - they were real warriors.

Oh wonderful, we're disparaging Travis now - a bloke who covers the ground of two players - because we've lost a few football games and haven't brought in enough new players.

What a lovely fan base. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kcaj93 said:

Oh don't get me wrong it is probably one of the best in the league I don't dispute that. What I dispute is the players being good enoigh to be sold to the likes of spurs or other prem clubs for 10 mil plus like a few clubs have had. 

Nail on the head.  If we are lucky we will get one prem quality player through every 4-5 years. Probably a couple each year that are good enough to pad out a championship squad.  That's it. The rest will fall by the wayside or won't be good enough - unless we need emergency cover.  

Our under 21 team haven't won a game (or scored a goal) yet.  Probably because half of them are padding out the first team squad.

32 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Not sure that's true, they bid for Anel, we just couldn't afford his wages. And we've also signed two for cash. I'm sure there's money there, they just can't spend it cos the players they want can get better money elsewhere. 

And Lambert's departure had nothing to do with transfer money available to him. He left because there was no structure in place above him and he was left being a spokesman for a dysfunctional club, just like he was at Villa under Lerner. That's from the horses mouth.

Whatever the reason was I'm glad he did go...he was fu**ing useless. 

All fur coat no knickers that fella...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Inferi said:

I live in Sweden and follow Allsvenskan. Berget is a very hard worker on the pitch, but lacks pace and technique. I think he would have a hard time keeping up with the pace of the championship. He is a decent crosser from a wing position, but he needs faster players around him to set him up. I also think he is past his best. Would be an unambitious signing in my opinion, but he might be cheap to buy. Also, he has a good beard.

I bet he's a damn sight better than Edun or JRC at FB.

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Oh wonderful, we're disparaging Travis now - a bloke who covers the ground of two players - because we've lost a few football games and haven't brought in enough new players.

What a lovely fan base. 

The guy was saying he’s a “ warrior “ - he isn’t. He’s a grafter. That’s not the same thing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

All this adds up to one thing: When he finally discovers the owners never had any intention of opening their wallet for better players, Tomasson is going to pull a Lambert and abandon ship. 

I hate defending the Venkys, because they're the worst owners in football, but time and again they've shown that money doesn't mean anything to them. They write off £20m losses a season and backed Mowbray big whenever he wanted the money.

To me this is Broughton trying to right the ship and get us on an even keel - you can't go spending £7m on Van Hecke. He's a good player, but he's not worth that. 

Time will tell, but we're all frustrated - I just have hope based off what I've seen on and off the pitch so far that we have the right people in place in Broughton and JDT.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Some thoughts having trawled through today's postings.

We lost 10 players and so far have brought in just 3 and I think it's fair to say the jury is out on Brittain and Morton whilst it looks like Posh have pulled our pants down with Szmodics .  I read a suggestion we need 4 players - I think that's nonsense and we need a minimum of six across the back, midfield and up front.

Vale has been mentioned in context of the jump from Academy to 1st team.  Vale is not a 'kid' but a 21 year old who, IMO, is way out of his depth.  He hardly set the world alight in some dozen or so appearances on loan for National League Halifax netting just once.  Like Butterworth, he aint got it - simple as that.  The bottom line is if you are good enough you are old enough and you also make the transition from Academy to 1st team.

As regards Travis being a warrior - he isn't.  He likes to win which is good but in the main, I think he is a petulant wind-up merchant who should channel his thoughts to being the best player he can.  With the right management, there is a very good Championship player there but my goodness, he needs some real help in there and powder-puff Buckley isn't the answer.  Midfield warriors - I think of Souness, Keane and Batty etc - any of those three would have eaten Travis alive.

Make no mistake, I think we are tottering on the brink of the precipice and cool and intelligent heads are needed and we do not want a string of panic buys who are no better than what we already have.  The next few days will tell us what Broughton and JDT are made of. 

It’s like Buckley went on his holidays in summer and never came back. Either that or his twin came in his place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like Buckley went on his holidays in summer and never came back. Either that or his twin came in his place.

Its like they all went on holiday in the summer and nobody came back, this isn't down to one player, its across the group.

Its not like this wasn't predicted, you can't lose half a team over the summer and expect to compete.

• Like 2

Szmodics is an alarm bell to the calibre of player we're looking at and the market we're shopping in. He's an example of a player who's no better than a whole number of very average midfield players who we've been lumbered with over the past few years. As has been pointed out many times if you sign lower league players that's ultimately where you'll end up

The worry for me is that after the new manager bounce we've reverted to exactly the same form of the end of last season with no sign that Tomasson is stamping his own mark on the team. At the moment the style of play is just a continuation of Mowbray's regime. Does he have any ideas of his own because at the moment I can't see any?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'll be filing that in the same folder as his girlfriend won't move to Blackburn or he wants to go to Sunderland because they have a regular ferry service to Holland so he can pop back when he wants.

Who posted the info that Reed's girlfriend didn't want to move here and that person was you JH. 

6 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I'm not prepared to write Szmodics off so quickly.

Lots did it with Brereton and were ultimately proved wrong.

Give the guy a chance FFS. 

No one should be writing off any new signing so quickly, certain people have on here or other fan sites have with Szmodics. He needs to play in the role he was bought into to play cos of the style JDT wanted to play. He is pressing number 10. We should be playing like Leeds have in that first half were we are pressing the ball and winning it back high. We have been too deep and lack movement in the final third. 

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Szmodics is an alarm bell to the calibre of player we're looking at and the market we're shopping in. He's an example of a player who's no better than a whole number of very average midfield players who we've been lumbered with over the past few years. As has been pointed out many times if you sign lower league players that's ultimately where you'll end up

The worry for me is that after the new manager bounce we've reverted to exactly the same form of the end of last season with no sign that Tomasson is stamping his own mark on the team. At the moment the style of play is just a continuation of Mowbray's regime. Does he have any ideas of his own because at the moment I can't see any?  

In fairness to JDT he can only work with what he has got and at the moment it is limited. He would normally like to operate different formations and play 3 at the back eith wingbacks but unable to.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 14:56, chaddyrovers said:

The club is not failing JDT currently, but the championship transfer market is slow currently if you look at the whole transfer market. We have budget and we can't just over pay for players. 12 days to go and we need around 4 signings. Van Der Berg deal is waiting for Liverpool defensive crisis to get better before they release him. If you want quality signings sometimes patience is needed and I rather we waiting then just sign players who we don't want really or rushing signings for the sake of it

In the last 2 games we have not only lost but have been uncompetitive due to how short our squad has been, so 6 points surrendered. Very few if any Championship squads are stretched like ours, having to keep flogging a 17 year old who isn't ready.

No one has ever suggested signing players for the sake of it, for some reason you think the only alternative to what we have at the moment is to sign shite or pay stupid money.

24 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I'm not prepared to write Szmodics off so quickly.

Lots did it with Brereton and were ultimately proved wrong.

Give the guy a chance FFS. 

Is there a period of time to which you suggest that people totally withhold opinion on him on an internet messageboard?

• Like 3