BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

Popping up on twitter that Leeds are making a LATE move for Brereton. I'd be really pissed off if we sold him now. No way we'd sort a replacement in time.

Wouldn't worry. Way to late. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think he’s a good player. He’s got a bit of the Travis about him. Gave us a hard time in the game at Ewood last season.

tidy player but he`s stepping up a level in a poor team

forest sign another one,michi batsuiya,who has been teminally on loan all over the world🙂,there will be carnage if forest don`t survive this season!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Sorry did I give off the impression I think Dolan and Gally are prolific?? I think BBD and Dack can tear up this division. BBD could get 25 plus and Dack 10 and alot of assists. Citys top scorer last year , KDB had 15 followed by Mahrez on 11. 

City is a remarkable choice for comparison because BBD scored just shy of 40% of our goals last season, KDB scored 15% of City's. So the example you used is exactly the opposite of what you are expecting Rovers to be this season... Heavily reliant on BBD again. What was your point?  City are a brilliant example of scoring goals across the team - we are likely to be the absolute opposite. Not withstanding the fact City's new striker has just scored 9 goals in his first 4 games of course. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Khadra’s not much of a loss.

Exciting young player making his way in the game, I enjoyed watching him last season and now plying his trade at one of the favourites to go up.

Clearly has something about him TS.

• Like 5

Mixed window, although the Brereton situation dominates everything and it wreckless to allow him to run his contract down and it shows that lessons have not been learnt, he has a value in excess of the 3 that left last season combined. Selling and signing a direct replacement was a key objective.

Hyam and Brittain are the best 2 deals in my opinion, short and long term.  Szmodics potentially the most questionable, spending so much on a player where he is unlikely to be first choice and with a poor record at this level.

Lots of reliance on loans, good that 2 have options for permanent deals. Hirst was apparently the first choice which is not the most ambitious move but maybe he can kick on, not sure our 2 number 9s are the most prolific. Mola is an interesting one but minimal first team experience like Morton.

5 or 6 out of 10 overall.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If I was to rate the window out of 10 I would probably go for 6.

Positives

Kept Brereton, without him serious trouble scoring goals and he is the 'star man' capable of hitting 20 a season.

Some cash spent replacing the major departures - Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell - with permanent signings rather than short term deals or loans.

No unexpected or unwanted departures beyond those we knew were going to happen at the start of the summer

Defensively we seem to have weathered the crisis and now have good options there.

The return to fitness of Dack and meteoric rise of A Wharton do a lot for us that we might not have expected to have at the start of the summer.

Negatives

The cash paid out has essentially just replaced the 3 out of contract players we couldn't keep, so cash that whilst welcome should have been spent significantly strengthening the squad has instead been used to replace those we lost for nothing - a big hole in the finances in several ways

I remain concerned as to our attacking options and prowess beyond BBD. Hopefully that will change but feel we are short. 

Full back positions - not entirely comfortable but hopefully we've enough.

I'm not sure anyone can seriously put forward a strong argument that we are STRONGER now than we were last season in terms of options. Dack's return to fitness a big step and -hopefully- Adam Wharton is a major bonus for us - but we have lost quality too - Khadra and Rothwell two big ones. It remains to be seen.

My hope / expectation is that we have a better manager, and provided he feels he has been backed and not let down this window he is capable of delivering more than Mowbray served up. If he doesn't feel he has been backed then we are in trouble as this guy won't be taken for a ride.

Last season our forward options were Brererton, Buckley, Gallagher, Dolan, Giles ,Khadra 

This season Brererton,Dack, Gallagher, Szmodic, Hedges ,Dolan ,Hirst 

Which group would you say has more goals in it?

Defence last Lenihen Nyambe Van Hecke Wharton Pickering ,Edun , Ayala

This season Hyam, Brittain, Wharton ,Carter , Ayala ,Pickering ,Mole, Phillips, Ayala

Midfield last season Travis ,Johnson, Rothwell, Davenport I won't say Buckley as rarely used there

This season Travis ,Morton , A Wharton , Buckley, Mole 

Player development has to be taken into consideration aswell some of the younger lads will be further along aswell 

With the rate our academy is turning out players I wouldn't bet against a another 1 or 2 coming into consideration

As a first window it was decent enough,we got 2 decent defenders in on permanent deals and kept Brererton.One questionable move for me was Szmodic but il give it a bit of time and see if he contributes positively 

The money spent wasn't earth shattering but spent smartly enough just have to hope it's the first step and it will be a continuous build with money spent.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mixed window, although the Brereton situation dominates everything and it wreckless to allow him to run his contract down and it shows that lessons have not been learnt, he has a value in excess of the 3 that left last season combined. Selling and signing a direct replacement was a key objective.

Hyam and Brittain are the best 2 deals in my opinion, short and long term.  Szmodics potentially the most questionable, spending so much on a player where he is unlikely to be first choice and with a poor record at this level.

Lots of reliance on loans, good that 2 have options for permanent deals. Hirst was apparently the first choice which is not the most ambitious move but maybe he can kick on, not sure our 2 number 9s are the most prolific. Mola is an interesting one but minimal first team experience like Morton.

5 or 6 out of 10 overall.

It’s 2022. We can’t sell a player if 1) the player doesn’t want to leave. 2) no other club was prepared to meet our valuation.

It’s as simple as that in my book.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Interesting comment Mowbray made about his new owners 

“ But I feel as if there is a plan from the owners. They are not saying ‘Sunderlandhave to win the league this year’. They want to grow this club incrementally, they don’t want to spend £100 million this summer. Put talent and quality into your club and let it grow.“

Looks like another journey then?  No pressure to get promoted. Luvly.  

It's a pity that the only one of my friends to support the Mackems passed away a couple of months ago. Not just for his family & friends, obvs; but I could have had such fun forwarding the above to him for his comments!

(Just my contribution to the "Get 1,000 pages on this thread" effort!)😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Last season our forward options were Brererton, Buckley, Gallagher, Dolan, Giles ,Khadra 

This season Brererton,Dack, Gallagher, Szmodic, Hedges ,Dolan ,Hirst 

Which group would you say has more goals in it?

Defence last Lenihen Nyambe Van Hecke Wharton Pickering ,Edun , Ayala

This season Hyam, Brittain, Wharton ,Carter , Ayala ,Pickering ,Mole, Phillips, Ayala

Midfield last season Travis ,Johnson, Rothwell, Davenport I won't say Buckley as rarely used there

This season Travis ,Morton , A Wharton , Buckley, Mole 

Player development has to be taken into consideration aswell some of the younger lads will be further along aswell 

With the rate our academy is turning out players I wouldn't bet against a another 1 or 2 coming into consideration

As a first window it was decent enough,we got 2 decent defenders in on permanent deals and kept Brererton.One questionable move for me was Szmodic but il give it a bit of time and see if he contributes positively 

The money spent wasn't earth shattering but spent smartly enough just have to hope it's the first step and it will be a continuous build with money spent.

You've missed players out there though. Last season we had Rothwell, who at least for the first 30 games was a big player for us.

I wouldn't class Giles as being a forward option but he is proven Championship quality as evidenced by his time at Cardiff and Middlesbrough, only Mowbray had no idea what to do with him and decided to try him on the right wing (bonkers).

I have no idea on Hirst - I hope JDT has seen something there as Broughton's comments unusually made specific reference to JDT wanting him which hasn't happened on the other deals. But it is an unknown - we hope we get 2nd half of the season Pompey out of him but could get Rotherham.

The stuff about player development or the potential emergence of players down the line you can apply to any club in any league - you can't go into a 46 game season on the premise that yet more players will eventually step forward from the academy.

That's why I've gone for a 6/10. I'm not being overly criticial with that and it isn't a poor window - less than 5 would be poor - but there are question marks on depth and quality which prevent it hitting an 8 or 9 which would suggest a very good window. If we had brought another couple of 'big' signings in then we'd have probably got there but didn't.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s 2022. We can’t sell a player if 1) the player doesn’t want to leave. 2) no other club was prepared to meet our valuation.

It’s as simple as that in my book.

He doesn't want to leave is the top and bottom of it and the owners are obviously happy not to sell unless the money was unreal.  It was never going to be and both parties knew that that's why it's all been so relaxed.

The club could use the money but now the onus is on Vs to fill that gap when he leaves for nowt in summer. Although the outside option remains to grab a bit in Jan if it makes sense.

There'll probably be a few hooters out of joint behind the scenes at Rovers and a few agents so it's worth it just for that as far as i'm concerned.  For once though it isn't a greedy head turned pissed off player he knows there'll be far wider and probably more lucrative offers soon.

Ben Brereton Diaz i salute you sir, now Rovers shape up and offer him something tempting there'll could still be a big potential return yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy said:

One positive of us keeping BBD is that it puts to bed that tin-foil 'we'll intentionally sell at the last minute and pocket the money' guff.

Venky's won't be bullied, we've seen that numerous times now.

They have their (many) failings, but I've got to give them some credit here.

I think the way ourselves and Sheff Utd with Berge have conducted ourselves when the vultures come calling can only benefit the league as a whole in the future.

”You’re loaded, stop flexing and taking the piss, you spent 40m on Dele Alli ffs” being the main takeaway.

Agree with whoever said it. It’s Everton who’ll regret not spending the extra 5m if they drop. We’ll just sell one of Balaji’s golden toilets and move on.

• Like 7