BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Likely scenario: Treading water in January and Brereton gets his £6m - £10m move.

Best case scenario: We're knee deep in promotion hunt, and he stays, maybe signs. PL push?

Worst case scenario: we don't go up and he leaves for free.

Nightmare scenario: He leaves for free and we get relegated.

None of those scenarios are worth Fulhams £6m in August 2022.

Well I'd rather 6m then the nightmare scenario 🤣

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Haha negative outlook. I asked you what brought you to the conclusion we have a strike force that could tear up the division.  We've got Brereton who I acknowledged is great and Dack who I love but hasn't played in practically 3 seasons.  The rest have a lot to prove and a lot to do. Surely you can understand that without calling someone negative? 

You ignored my comment about actual stats from our opening 6 games... Why? 

And I told you why I felt we have a front line that CAN...sorry they haven't lived up to your expectations so far. BBD is the main man with Dack, Hedges, Smozdics, Dolan Gally etc playing a supporting role.

I didn't ignore it I didn't know you required a response to that part because what you are saying basically is we are currently midtable regarding goals scored stats. Like saying we scored the most goals in the division but we have the lowest crosses and shots. Don't put too much stock into "attacking stats", foolish of me to focus on just winning games I guess.

1 minute ago, sverrehh said:

The bids for Brereton were way below 10 million. Would you have entertained those bids? I'd say keep him, he'll give us plenty of goals and maybe just maybe we will challenge top 6. In the meanwhile Rovers should track replacements

Alan Myers has said the venkys will not be too bothered about the fee for BD he knows they play hardball from his time working here, we as fans obviously would like to see 15-20m for him but hey they pay the wages. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

rhat what Travis is there. 

Mola from what I have read can play left back, centre back or centre midfield so very adaptable. 

Travis, Carter or Buckley can fill in at right back

JDT and GB don't rate him as highly as Morton who we signed instead

If at the start of the window anyone had put Travis and Buckley forward as 2nd choice right backs there would have been outrage. Travis is a sticking plaster there. He's not a right back and does tend to drift and get caught out of position. A lot of Blackpool's play went down that side last night, and a few times Lavery wasted good positions with poor or wasteful play.  Buckley is exactly the same, a midfielder. 

I'm really pleased with some of our business and Brittain has started well, but we should all be praying he can get fit quick. 

• Like 1

The bottom line for me… Tomasson is an improvement over “Shrug” Mowbray. 

The players we have now, as contrasted to who we had in August 2022… I think we got a couple of strong acquisitions that are a better fit to Rovers, and we’ve had a couple of guys develop from our Academy. 

I’m looking forward to the weekend, and the rest of the season. This journey so far is enjoyable, I can’t wait to see what develops. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 5

I'm a tad disappointed with the window.

I think two more additions (quality ones) could have seen us pushing hard this season particularly given BBD is still with us, Dack is emerging from his dark tunnel (what a ball to set-up our goal last night) and the sheer class and precociousness of Adam Wharton.

Last night's performance was remarkable in context of all the difficulties JDT inherited and so far, he's made a pretty good fist of it.  Consolidation and mid table is for the wusses - we need to feckin go for it and lets see where we are come the end of December.

• Like 3

I wonder how much of an impact the "pathways" belief has had on our transfer business? Seeing Styles possibly go to Millwall on loan is disappointing.

There's no way, IMO, that we couldn't have competed with Millwall on that signing. It looks like we have gone with Mola instead, who is younger and more versatile. He's not as experienced as Styles, so wouldn't be blocking a pathway.

I think it's similar upfront too. We possibly haven't gone out and bought a proper forward as that might hinder Vale's development. This way, he can compete with Hirst, another young forward. The latter might turn out to be decent, but at the moment he is unproven at this level.

Underwhelming window, as I think we are short of quality in certain areas. However, based on last night, I like the look of Hyam. There is also some intrigue around Mola as he is a total unknown (to me, anyway), and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Shame that the Dembele rumour didn't come off as he would have offered a different threat and brought some excitement up top.

• Like 1

Fantastic Breo stays and I hope Mola is a new Samba... 

Hyam solid along with Brittain

Hirst to help with goals

Rovers

Kaminski Pears

Ayala Hyam Wharton Carter Mola Pickering Brittain JRC Phillips Edun

Wharton Buckley Travis Morton Garrett Hedges

Brereton Diaz Dack Gally Hirst Vale Dolan Markanday

Edited by neophox

4 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

If at the start of the window anyone had put Travis and Buckley forward as 2nd choice right backs there would have been outrage. Travis is a sticking plaster there. He's not a right back and does tend to drift and get caught out of position. A lot of Blackpool's play went down that side last night, and a few times Lavery wasted good positions with poor or wasteful play.  Buckley is exactly the same, a midfielder. 

I'm really pleased with some of our business and Brittain has started well, but we should all be praying he can get fit quick. 

Saw a couple of Portsmouth games on Sky last season and thought Carter was pretty serviceable at RB.

Certainly better than the other two anyway.

• Like 1

Well if that’s that I’d say it was a solid if not spectacular window. We have laid some foundations and I’m looking forward to seeing the new lads and watching the young ones grow as the season goes on. I think by the time the summer window opens at the end of the season JDT will be in a string position to assess where we are , what we need to kick on and have implemented his ideas and playing style. Without writing it off I’m all for just enjoying this season and seeing where it takes us. I have faith 

COYB

• Like 1

You always want more (ain't that right Forest?!) But I think overall, it's been a positive window.

We've plugged gaps that needed plugging, not just with dross either. Brittain is as good as, if not better than Nyambe and Hyam seems solid to fill the void Lenihan left.

Szmodics is no Rothwell but I think Rothwell was incredibly difficult to replace, not many players like him around and certainly not for the fees we'd be looking at.

2 loans with options in the clubs favour is smart business and we've held onto one of our best players in BBD.

We were never getting everything we need this summer, it just wasn't happening.

What needs to happen now is a continuous cycle of improvement. Broughton and his team need to be upgrading our weakest players. JRC, Edun, Dolan etc. They'll be used this season as squad players but ultimately if we have ambitions in the future of being a premier League team, we need better players. That process can start now and players can be scouted and identified for recruitment in future transfer windows.

Feels like there was more of a plan this time around, not like the scattergun approach it felt like at times under Mowbray.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 4

How I would rate our summer signings:

Brittain - good signing and an upgrade on Nyambe 

Hyam - feel like he was our best signing of the summer 

Morton - decent signing. Good on the ball but I fear he'll get bullied by the more physical sides

Mola - Not an exciting signing but hopefully a decent squad player 

Szmodics - Not convinced by him at all. Think the money could have been better spent

Hirst - I would have preferred someone more proven but I think his attributes will add a lot to our team. 

Overall a decent window but not an amazing one. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I'm a tad disappointed with the window.

I think two more additions (quality ones) could have seen us pushing hard this season particularly given BBD is still with us, Dack is emerging from his dark tunnel (what a ball to set-up our goal last night) and the sheer class and precociousness of Adam Wharton.

Last night's performance was remarkable in context of all the difficulties JDT inherited and so far, he's made a pretty good fist of it.  Consolidation and mid table is for the wusses - we need to feckin go for it and lets see where we are come the end of December.

We're currently the highest placed side that isn't benefitting from financial doping... sorry, parachute payments.

It's going to take a couple of transfer windows for JDT and Broughton to get this team playing how they want. We suffered through five years of Mowbray's journey, I'm patient enough to ride this one out if it's heading in the right direction - which so far it is.

We don't have the money to transform the squad in one window. To me we've made pleasing progress with the only real loss being Nyambe. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1