BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And what if we scraped into the playoffs on goal difference and then immediately surrendered meekly in the semis?

Playoff place was the minimum requirement at Christmas time when we were 2nd or 3rd. 

Whether we achieve on goal difference or by a point it doesn't matter 

If we don't finish top 6 then we need a change of manager/head coach. Can't be any more clearer than I have been

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Playoff place was the minimum requirement at Christmas time when we were 2nd or 3rd. 

Whether we achieve on goal difference or by a point it doesn't matter 

If we don't finish top 6 then we need a change of manager/head coach. Can't be any more clearer than I have been

You've focused on the goal difference part, but my point was more about what if we got in the playoffs but lost miserably at the first time of asking? The point about scraping it was just to add to the scenario.

Let's say we got Luton in the semi and went out to them 5-0 on aggregate or something, that would still be enough for you?

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You've focused on the goal difference part, but my point was more about what if we got in the playoffs but lost miserably at the first time of asking? The point about scraping it was just to add to the scenario.

Let's say we got Luton in the semi and went out to them 5-0 on aggregate or something, that would still be enough for you?

And what happens if we went to Luton and won 5 nil and then got the playoff final and won promotion? 

Bruce, I have been very clear my view and where and when I would offer a new contract to Mowbray. Whether Mowbray to stay on might be a different answer if Miller11 is right with his view

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get why scraping into the play offs would diminish the achievement at all, ultimately all that matters is where you finish, not by what sort of margin. If you win the league on GD, it doesn't make it any less impressive.

It's a good question and one that ties into our previous chat about whether the runs we go on skew opinions on the manager. 

Tbh I think it does make a difference as extenuating circumstances help show how good or bad - or perhaps even lucky/unlucky - a manager is. For example I don't apportion too much blame for our relegation to TM because of circumstances. Likewise if we just scraped playoffs now after the position we were in at the turn of the year - a bit like with the negative runs - I think it would show some negative elements to TMs managerial ability. It would suggest he's a one trick manager, some tactical inflexibility and the inability to utilise a transfer window. We were in a stunning position at the start of 22 and we look to be throwing it away. 

On 21/03/2022 at 15:03, MarkBRFC said:

That's actually incorrect.

Middlesbrough were 2nd on 31st December in the 2011-12 season, and finished 7th, only winning 6 of there last 23 games.

The season after was even worse, they were 3rd on 29th December and finished 16th, only winning only 3 of there last 21 games.

I'll let you work out who was in charge of them during that time. The bloke is a disaster and i'm just amazed more can't see it.

Mowbray out

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And what happens if we went to Luton and won 5 nil and then got the playoff final and won promotion? 

Bruce, I have been very clear my view and where and when I would offer a new contract to Mowbray. Whether Mowbray to stay on might be a different answer if Miller11 is right with his view

Well obviously we would all be very happy in that scenario, but that isn't the scenario I'm asking you about.

Well I'm not clear on your exact view actually, so for clarity, are you saying if we just about got in the top 6 and failed miserably in the semi final (and lets say he played Gally at RB and Johnson up front again for good measure) you would want him to be given a new contract? A yes, no, or 'I'd have to make my mind up at the time' will suffice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Well obviously we would all be very happy in that scenario, but that isn't the scenario I'm asking you about.

Well I'm not clear on your exact view actually, so for clarity, are you saying if we just about got in the top 6 and failed miserably in the semi final (and lets say he played Gally at RB and Johnson up front again for good measure) you would want him to be given a new contract? A yes, no, or 'I'd have to make my mind up at the time' will suffice.

You keep trying to keep come up with different scenarios. 

I would give Mowbray a new contract if we get top 6 and playoff place as I said a few times, but if he decided to play Johnson again up front again from the start in any games he deserves the sack and need to go.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You keep trying to keep come up with different scenarios. 

I would give Mowbray a new contract if we get top 6 and playoff place as I said a few times, but if he decided to play Johnson again up front again from the start in any games he deserves the sack and need to go.  

No, I keep trying to clarify the same scenario because you won't just answer the question directly. So you'd sack him if we got top 6 and he played Johnson up front, but you would give him a new contract if we got top 6 and lost miserably in the playoff semis, got it, I think.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

No, I keep trying to clarify the same scenario because you won't just answer the question directly. So you'd sack him if we got top 6 and he played Johnson up front, but you would give him a new contract if we got top 6 and lost miserably in the playoff semis, got it, I think.

The question was answered Bruce so you can stop trying to clarify questions now. 

Mowbray out, Waggot out and whoever else they work directly alongside with at the club out. 

We need fresh ideas from top to bottom and also our recruitment has been awful the last couple of years so that team needs replacing to. 

Personally i think Mowbray will just walk at the end of his contract 🤞🤞 most of the players may respect and like him as a person, but as a manager they've clearer lost faith in his dubious(to put it lightly!) match day setups and team selections.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Has recruitment been awful in the last 2 seasons? Kaminski has been a good signing, Pickering, Dolan, Van Hecke, Elliott, Khadra too.

Has the recruitment been awful, my answer is, yes. If it had been good we would be getting promotion. That doesn't mean to say that the players you have listed are bad.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Has recruitment been awful in the last 2 seasons? Kaminski has been a good signing, Pickering, Dolan, Van Hecke, Elliott, Khadra too.

Only Kaminski has been a good value signing from that lot, 

Loans don't really count for much imo. They've not really improved our fortunes much and the loan players and their parent clubs and agents have got far more out of the deals than we have. 

Pickering, Meh!! He's given us a bit of balance on the left side but he's hardly the exciting prospect we where led to believe and the signing edun countered any possitives there. 

Dolan still has a lot to prove, right now he reminds me of mat derbyshire minus the goals! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In what way is Dolan anything like Derbyshire as a player?!

Well I meant more in attitude really, they're both nippy, direct forwards with a lot of determination and enthusiasm(as derbyshire was when he first came on the scene for us!) only derbyshire had a reasonable goals record to begin with for a youngster. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Mowbray and co(Venus, Lowe, Benson and Park) are leaving when their contracts ends then I would right now be looking to appoint a director of football then appoint first team head coach and head of recruitment before the end of May/Start of June.

I would be looking at former Celtic and Reading director of football Nicky Hammond or former WBA Director of football Luke Dowling. Then I would look to first team head coach who will be in charge of first team matters who is good tactical, good coach and has a background in developing young players. I wish we could have got Steve Cooper when he was available but I don't see him leaving them for us. So I would look at Damien Johnson, Ryan Mason from Spurs, Jason Wilcox from Man City or Rob Edwards at Forest Green Rovers to fill this position. At the same time I would be looking to appoint a new Head of Recruitment and Would look at bringing in Ian Pearce who is in charge of recruitment at WBA and has been linked with similar position at Bristol City recent months.   

I am a fan of the work Steve Cooper has done at Swansea and Forest during his short managerial career and just how he improves and developing players. I would like Rovers to follow a similar path now