BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

21 minutes ago, frosty said:

I actually think if he left then they'd change their tune pretty quickly ("it hurts but it was the right time for him to go", something along those lines) which of course would only become their opinion upon hearing of his departure. Then they'd just forget about him and move on to getting behind the next guy.

A lot of the most ardent support for Mowbray I think comes from people, especially some of what you read on social media, who just believe that you're a better fan if you don't criticise or complain about anything at the club. Odd way of thinking but that's the impression I get. 

That's exactly the way it is in the ground the ones who chant his name are the first to boo.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2022 at 15:03, MarkBRFC said:

That's actually incorrect.

Middlesbrough were 2nd on 31st December in the 2011-12 season, and finished 7th, only winning 6 of there last 23 games.

The season after was even worse, they were 3rd on 29th December and finished 16th, only winning only 3 of there last 21 games.

I'll let you work out who was in charge of them during that time. The bloke is a disaster and i'm just amazed more can't see it.

I think this is the best come back I’ve ever read on here.

Superb Mark👏

• Like 4

4 hours ago, den said:

I think this is the best come back I’ve ever read on here.

Superb Mark👏

And yet someone posted a screenshot of that post and put it on twitter (not me) where it was subsequently shot down by a load of Pro-Mowbray fans. 

Ridiculous. It's literally just stating fact.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

And yet someone posted a screenshot of that post and put it on twitter (not me) where it was subsequently shot down by a load of Pro-Mowbray fans. 

Ridiculous. It's literally just stating fact.

It's taken a few days this time as there was a lot of angst towards him post Saturday.

A lot of those accounts are a bit iffy in true twitter style, i'd say there's an HSH bot farm somewhere near Yarm.

Sadly for others the more TM detaches himself from any responsibility the more they back him but that's just social media la la land.  Only ones that matter are in the ground where contrary to some beliefs on here i reckon most are on the fence. The anger was building around the ground in that bizarre first half.

He knew it.

Edited by tomphil

I was surprised to see 2 or 3 people around me against Derby say to those around them that they want the manager gone or that he needs to be changed. The moans and groans were just the normal frustration when things arent going well but I got the impression that peoples opinion of Mowbray in the ground has changed 

• Like 1

It’s all anecdotal, as around me I’d get my head bitten off if I even offered up mild criticism.

He signs a new contract on the pitch pre KO against Blackpool and I certainly wouldn’t expect to hear much in the way of dissent.

‘Good move by the club’
‘Who else we going to get?’, ‘STABILISED the club!’

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s all anecdotal, as around me I’d get my head bitten off if I even offered up mild criticism.

He signs a new contract on the pitch pre KO against Blackpool and I certainly wouldn’t expect to hear much in the way of dissent.

‘Good move by the club’

Your last sentence nails it for me …” Who else are going to get?”…..it’s the perfect example of why we are where we are….how far have we fallen ? 

Scandalous 🤬

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Good move by the club’

he does indeed have some cultish pull over a lot of fans,the facebook and particularly the telegraph fan boys absolutely adore him,they won`t have a word said against him

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Good move by the club’

Good question though, isn't it?  Whilst a lot of Rovers fans (myself included) will agree Mowbray's time is probably coming to an end, you CANNOT just remain oblivious to the terrifying fact that the next appointment is likely to be the responsibility of some combination of Waggott (if he stays on), Pasha and our illustrious owners.  Which of that lot are going to make a sensible appointment?

Just to jog one or two memories;

Steve Kean
Eric Black    
Henning Berg
Michael Appleton
Gary Bowyer
Paul Lambert
Owen Coyle
Tony Mowbray

Love him, like him, loathe him.... or wherever you sit in between those, Mowbray has done alright, probably verging on decent in his first 3 full seasons.  Last season ended in disarray and anger, this season might slide in to a huge case of what could have been, and there's no doubt the longer he remains, the more he appears to tarnish his time at the club. 

BUT, which of the 8 above have (or could have) done any better?  Maybe  make an argument for Bowyer...  Some might argue for Lambert, but the reality is he couldn't stick the owners, and that HAS to be another warning sign for those who think any half decent calibre manager would simply stroll through the door. 

It is a bit of a classic case of look before you leap... except in this particular case, us fans are blindfolded and those holding the safety net aren't offering any clues whatsoever as to where the fuck it is.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Good question though, isn't it?  Whilst a lot of Rovers fans (myself included) will agree Mowbray's time is probably coming to an end, you CANNOT just remain oblivious to the terrifying fact that the next appointment is likely to be the responsibility of some combination of Waggott (if he stays on), Pasha and our illustrious owners.  Which of that lot are going to make a sensible appointment?

Just to jog one or two memories;

Steve Kean
Eric Black    
Henning Berg
Michael Appleton
Gary Bowyer
Paul Lambert
Owen Coyle
Tony Mowbray

Love him, like him, loathe him.... or wherever you sit in between those, Mowbray has done alright, probably verging on decent in his first 3 full seasons.  Last season ended in disarray and anger, this season might slide in to a huge case of what could have been, and there's no doubt the longer he remains, the more he appears to tarnish his time at the club. 

BUT, which of the 8 above have (or could have) done any better?  Maybe  make an argument for Bowyer...  Some might argue for Lambert, but the reality is he couldn't stick the owners, and that HAS to be another warning sign for those who think any half decent calibre manager would simply stroll through the door. 

It is a bit of a classic case of look before you leap... except in this particular case, us fans are blindfolded and those holding the safety net aren't offering any clues whatsoever as to where the fuck it is.

How many of those appointments were the fans happy with at the time ? How many were on the radar before they were sprung on us. I’ll hold my hand up for Lambert ( partially because he was also bringing in good assistants ) , but I didn’t want any of the others.

No I don’t expect anyone better to replace him, he’s done fine with the budgets he’s had in this league.

My point was more that outside perhaps, Dalglish and Hughes, top, top managers for us in their own ways, I’ve never known any other manager be so bulletproof with large swathes of the support as this mon is. I suppose it’s a sign of how standards and expectations have nosedived since this shower turned up nearly 12 years ago…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many of those appointments were the fans happy with at the time ? How many were on the radar before they were sprung on us. I’ll hold my hand up for Lambert ( partially because he was also bringing in good assistants ) , but I didn’t want any of the others.

Completely and utterly irrelevant..... in fact, you've reiterated my point a thousand times over.  You, Me and any other fan of Rovers aren't remotely involved in the process of appointing a new manager. So whilst many of us clearly see value in a change, we must confront the elephant in the room...  the selection process will be handled by the very same people that appointed the 7 (not including Lambert) managers that you didn't want.

Edited by Jimmy612

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No I don’t expect anyone better to replace him, he’s done fine with the budgets he’s had in this league.

My point was more that outside perhaps, Dalglish and Hughes, top, top managers for us in their own ways, I’ve never known any other manager be so bulletproof with large swathes of the support as this mon is. I suppose it’s a sign of how standards and expectations have nosedived since this shower turned up nearly 12 years ago…

Not sure - I think much of the fan base have had enough of TM now.... thing is, there's never been a really defining moment on the pitch whereby the crowd have turned.... last season was behind closed doors let's not forget.  I felt it might have been on the way at the Sheff United game when we conceded in 30 seconds.... that was a really defining moment for TM, and proved to be a springboard to a fantastic 2 months.

I think we're beginning to move towards another moment like that.... the first half of Derby showed signs.  A negative result/non-performance at Coventry followed by a goal for Blackpool at Ewood and I think you'll start to see a turning of the tide as promotion slips away.  Many fans won't want to turn yet, whilst the top 6 remains a possibility.

• Like 1

I don’t get that impression at all. Boos, yes, ‘Tony, sort it out!’, standard. Calls for his head? Cant see it.

I stand to be corrected, but if we continue to fall away and finish about 9th I don’t foresee much more than a collective shrug; in the stands, in the dugout, in the ‘boardroom’.

We’ll find out either way soon enough.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Can Venkys be trusted to do anything right, no, but if we cling onto someone purely to avoid the potential next case scenario, is there point even continuing at all?

Exactly that. If we have to live in fear that Mowbray is the best we'll ever get, might as well sack it off entirely.

Whether you are for or against Mowbray is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things if he is literally the height of our ambition.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2