BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray, the summer and beyond

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

That certainly killed our momentum.

For me February was the turning point. As soon as the January window shut and he got his squad rejigged a bit, it started. The tombola came out player wise, and his stubborn head came out in terms of formation.

While that phenomenal run was over in January, we were still looking pretty good. The Swansea game was a different story, dropping Brereton and Khadra to the bench and starting Giles and Hedges up top and Zeefuik at left back. Again he was stubborn and didn’t make a proactive change - the subs only occurred after they went down to 10 and shut up shop.

We followed that up with a defeat by Forest, where he dropped Nyambe for Zeefuik for no reason. Nyambe put in a MOTM performance next time out against West Brom, but then got subbed off for Dolan against 10 man Sheff Utd who promptly went on to score the winner. Gallagher for whatever reason only set foot in the box about twice all that game, and has hardly been back in it since (Cardiff aside).

He’s doubled down on the false 9. Pushed the midfielder forward more, and the strikers wider. It’s like he’s trying to prove he was right not to bring a proper forward in, except it’s completely failing and he just looks stubborn and stupid. 

If I didn't know any better, i would think he was setting us up to lose and not score in some of those games.

I had hoped this sort of thing was over, after the strangest game I had ever witnessed (away at Spurs) suggested to me that we were being duped as fans.

Perhaps it is total incompetence with Mowbray, but I can help but feel suspicious about what goes on at times.

His comment to the BBC over the weekend were bizarre, in the extreme.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

If I didn't know any better, i would think he was setting us up to lose and not score in some of those games.

I had hoped this sort of thing was over, after the strangest game I had ever witnessed (away at Spurs) suggested to me that we were being duped as fans.

Perhaps it is total incompetence with Mowbray, but I can help but feel suspicious about what goes on at times.

His comment to the BBC over the weekend were bizarre, in the extreme.

It's certainly felt like strange things happen regularly at our club since 2010.

12 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

It's certainly felt like strange things happen regularly at our club since 2010.

Do you mean like, lets get the betting suspended on Warnock being the new manager, then appoint Owen Coyle?

25 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Anyone know what the odds were at end of December for us to finish outside the top 6?

Might go some way to explaining why TM looked so pissed off as we tore into Derby in the 2nd half last week. Knew a bollocking from his paymasters was on the cards maybe?

We were between 4/9 and 1/3 to finish in the Top 6 on the 31st December (odds varied with different bookmakers).

And if it makes anyone feel any better (it doesn't). West Brom were between 1/9 and 1/16 at the same point

image.png.1f277f1329944636917b459771712b7b.png

Edited by superniko

16 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Anyone know what the odds were at end of December for us to finish outside the top 6?

Might go some way to explaining why TM looked so pissed off as we tore into Derby in the 2nd half last week. Knew a bollocking from his paymasters was on the cards maybe?

BRFC 2.pdfBRFC 2.pdfBRFC 2.pdfBRFC 2.pdf

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

No one in the history of Championship has failed to get to the playoffs at the point we were in in December. 

If that isn't failure I dunno what is.

There have been quite a few records broken this season, all of them unwanted.

• Like 2

Been very suspicious in the past of certain things looking like we might be a plaything for a private betting syndicate. 

Now though it's just TM and his familiar patterns we've seen it for 5 years on the bounce even some of his staunchest supporters acknowledge it. He is only comfortable in his own mind when he is constantly tinkering and rotating according to the opposition. The best periods of success we've had under him have come when hes hit on a team and left it alone, 3 games, 5 games or whatever.

This season before Christmas must be some kind of career record from him in terms of leaving things alone where possible. Even the subs were predictable but mostly sensible. Once that had to change we were always nailed on to go back to type trying silly things and bowing to the opposition.  Alongside trying to justify some players and keep others happy.

Then the blame inevitably gets pointed directly at the players and certain ones get chucked under the bus. All whilst looking fed up, tired, uninterested on the sidelines and in the pressers. I think we'd be seeing very similar even if the team had spent the season in midtable.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2022 at 09:27, booth said:

Johnson as a false 9 is something no one should ever witness again too.

The big problem with Mowbray is that he’s expecting wingers and central midfielders to do the goalscoring. And there’s a good reason these players were never selected as goal scorers since they were kids.

'A false 9'

Anyone get the feeling that the whole Club is false?

A charade,run on lies and false hope but engineered to be that way behind the scenes by individuals with nothing but their own self interest at heart.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That's actually incorrect.

Middlesbrough were 2nd on 31st December in the 2011-12 season, and finished 7th, only winning 6 of there last 23 games.

The season after was even worse, they were 3rd on 29th December and finished 16th, only winning only 3 of there last 21 games.

I'll let you work out who was in charge of them during that time. The bloke is a disaster and i'm just amazed more can't see it.

They won 2 of their last 16 league games in the 2012/13 season.

Death spirals are a hallmark of his management, but in his latest interview, this current one is due to having a young squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Middlesbrough were 2nd on 31st December in the 2011-12 season, and finished 7th, only winning 6 of there last 23 games.

The season after was even worse, they were 3rd on 29th December and finished 16th, only winning only 3 of there last 21 games.

I'll let you work out who was in charge of them during that time. The bloke is a disaster and i'm just amazed more can't see it.

Don't take offence if i screenshot this and plaster it on twitter and facebook as it isn't for nefarious reasons like we are used to.

It needs showing to the many on there who only pull their heeds out their backsides long enough to tell us how great he is. Mind you they've been hard to spot since January.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Don't take offence if i screenshot this and plaster it on twitter and facebook as it isn't for nefarious reasons like we are used to.

It needs showing to the many on there who only pull their heeds out their backsides long enough to tell us how great he is. Mind you they've been hard to spot since January.

Mental isn't it.

Further to my tweet which gathered a lot of reaction on Saturday, I thought I'd run the data on Tony Mowbray's record in the second half of seasons (Matches 24 to 46) over the past decade. Inspired by @MarkBRFC

He's had 7 full second halves of seasons in the past 10 years, across two levels. I've also included this season for reference.

Not included are the ends of the 2014/15 season with Coventry City (Mowbray joined 3rd March) and the 2016/17 season with Rovers (Mowbray joined 22nd February).

TM2ndHalf.jpg

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, rog of the rovers said:

Further to my tweet which gathered a lot of reaction on Saturday, I thought I'd run the data on Tony Mowbray's record in the second half of seasons (Matches 24 to 46) over the past decade.

He's had 7 full second halves of seasons in the past 10 years, across two levels. I've also included this season for reference.

Not included are the ends of the 2014/15 season with Coventry City (Mowbray joined 3rd March) and the 2016/17 season with Rovers (Mowbray joined 22nd February).

TM2ndHalf.jpg

Yet people still love it it's crazy

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Jeez that’s an incredible stat mate, chaddy defend this one , no way you can 

• Like 1

His interviews, he just looks just totally bemused. He has been adding that, "search me smile"

I don't think anyone including Mowbray expected Brereton to bag 20 goals this season. Nothing pointed to it, and even ex team mates Graham and Mulgrew stated they was in disbelief.

It does make you wonder where we would of been had he not stepped up. I'd have a guess we'd be just staying up due to other clubs point deductions

• Like 4

The single issue was clear if you play a centre forward in the right slot with a supply line they will score goals it’s plainly obvious since football began Mowbray thinks otherwise and that is as big as an enigma than the reasons why the pyramids were built😅😅

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The single issue was clear if you play a centre forward in the right slot with a supply line they will score goals it’s plainly obvious since football began Mowbray thinks otherwise and that is as big as an enigma than the reasons why the pyramids were built😅😅

That's a laugh - the words 'enigma' and 'Mowbray' in the same sentence 🙂

Has anybody ever asked him WHY he constantly forces players into unfamiliar and unnatural roles, rather than playing to their actual strengths? The man is a grade one buffoon. I'd wrestle him any day of the week, and make him suck his own balls in penance for the misery his baffling tactics have inflicted upon our long suffering and rapidly diminishing fan base.

i did`nt think it was possible for mowbray to annoy me more,until i read brereton has flown to chile to join their world cup qualifying squad,he`s injured and therefore can`t play,so my has`nt our manager told him and the chilean fa that he`s stopping here,more weak management imo,whats the odds of him appearing against brazil and making his ankle even worse,amateurish and pathetic from mowbray imo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I can only put it down to extreme ignorance or stupidity.

Mowbray has stated that in the modern game formations are not that important. He has cited Klopp's Liverpool as an example of a team that attacks and defends as one.

Yet, though Liverpool don't play with a target man striker, they have a system. Their wide players are always quick and skilful. They would never put Jordan Henderson as a forward. They use Harvey Elliot as a midfielder presumably because he's not quick enough for the forward role. Whilst they rotate, they bring in like for like.

Giles and Gallagher are not similar players yet all both, at some point, played wide forward this season, clearly indicating Mowbray has no meaningful system.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i did`nt think it was possible for mowbray to annoy me more,until i read brereton has flown to chile to join their world cup qualifying squad,he`s injured and therefore can`t play,so my has`nt our manager told him and the chilean fa that he`s stopping here,more weak management imo,whats the odds of him appearing against brazil and making his ankle even worse,amateurish and pathetic from mowbray imo

The club is powerless, if we tried to stop him aside from any player unhappiness we would be sanctioned and he would be banned for 10 days.

The aggravation and dismay at Mowbray this time is unwarranted.

• Like 1