BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

10 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Agreed. Had a purple patch but we need more than that

Were you inferring that Farke was a done deal or did i get the wrong end of the stick? Nixon (ha) and others seem to be suggesting that the search is in its infancy.

Edited by DingleDestroyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Said it time and time again you cannot football your way into finishing in the top 6 in this league unless you can buy good footballers.

That's exactly what Mowbray is complaining about. The only way to achieve promotion or finish in the top 6, for him, is by doing it like that. Buy good players who can tippy tap their way to a top 6 finish. There's no plan B or alternative route with Mowbray. Small budget? Forget about it, the best I can do is develop these youngsters and try to help them with a few loans and a couple of cheap buys.

He derided Barnsley's style of play when they were in the top 6 saying "I prefer to do it in the right way". We put on one of the best displays for a long time in the second half against Derby, yet he had a face like thunder. We reverted back to shite at Reading a few days later and he seemed fine with it.

He's not been able to achieve a top 6 finish in the way that he believes it should be done, by spending on good possession based players, so now it's a case of "I want a club that has the the backing, finances and support to compete at the top". It's both self preservation and a dig at the owners for not showing ambition.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Only took over at Wednesday on 1st of March 2021 and was unable to stop them from going down but I'm sure you knew that.

Wonder who else that sounds like? Don't recall you blaming him for that here!

A few people on here very much like to pick and choose their facts to suit their opinions and completely ignore any kind of context surrounding them

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A bit of join the dots here.

Carvalhal was plucked from relative obscurity to join Sheffield Wednesday after Chansiri took over and started throwing big money around to try and get promoted. Did a decent job - in two full seasons got into the play-offs both times including the final one year.

Also involved at Sheffield Wednesday around that time was Paul Senior, who as we all know had a short spell here at the time Mowbray arrived.

One of Carvalhal's signings at Sheff Wed was Lucas Joao, who joined us on loan whilst Senior was here (our only January signing despite staring relegation in the face)

Joao has since joined Reading, another club with strange goings on including remote foreign owners and odd transfer business and seemingly up to their eyeballs in FFP issues after heavy spending. Reading are on the look out for a new manager and Carvalhal was 'linked' to them.

Now he's 'linked' to us.

Seems to me that us, Sheff Wed and Reading have quite a lot in common. All recently taken over by foreign owners who appear to be clueless and completely out of sync with what the clubs need and want. All have had similar issues financially and with FFP. Similar names and faces turn up at each. 

Agreed. This is something to keep an eye out for.

I would also add Hibs to this, although to a lesser extent, as it is just speculation at this point. Cocu was linked with the Hibs job around 10 days ago. Mowbray was linked with the Hibs job last week. We know who is already at Hibs and his background. Now Cocu is being linked with the Rovers job. Coincidence?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

A few people on here very much like to pick and choose their facts to suit their opinions and completely ignore any kind of context surrounding them

‘Welcome to BRFCS, home to Rovers chat since 1996’

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. It's important we don't sell Phillips imo.

BBD I'm a bit worried by. Didn't show much in the second half of the season. I'm normally dead set against selling any of our best players no matter what the cost but I'd be fairly ambivalent now if we got £20m for him.

A few first decent first team appearances by Phillips next season and his value will increase 5 fold.

I'm with you on BBD.  It's the old rovers dilemma.  I've no doubt Forest have a decent sell on clause so given what we paid for him, we may not come out with much.  

39 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Regarding Phillips isn't it the case that until his 17th birthday there is nothing the club can do to stop him leaving if he wants to - it just becomes a question of sorting out some kind of compensation. He is 17 on June 26.

I believe - according to the LET anyway, that when he signed his scholarship forms he also signed a pro contract that will kick in this summer.  

Let's hope that's the case anyway! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Ah right, so you're factoring in budgets now then?

So when I suggested Mick McCarthy based on his record at Ipswich on a shoestring you rejected that based on his style of play. Yet you would now happily take a manager with a similar style and excuse that because he's had a limited budget. Makes sense.

A decent manager will adapt his style and approach to best fit the players and conditions of the job.

I'm getting tired of people being categorised like this. I'm only interested in results and accomplishments.

Well considering the job he has done on shoe string budget in League 2 and 1 which he gained 2 promotions with them, Ainsworth has done very well there. 

Here we go again with Mick McCarthy points/comments, He is outdated and tactics at Cardiff shown that this season. I wouldn't want him here. We need a manager like Farke or someone who will play an attacking style of play where we press high and win the ball back. McCarthy and Hughton aren't this person. 

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Chris Hughton is a personal favourite of mine. Doesn’t spend millions and normally sets his team up solidly. Didn’t work out for him at forest, but it’s more proof that certain clubs/set ups just don’t work out for certain managers. We could do a lot worse.

Not for me. Just look how good Forest look under Cooper compare to Hughton days there. 

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Had more clubs than Nick Faldo, 19 managerial appointments in 24 seasons, does not sound like the solution to me.

If i was drawing up a list it would be,

Farke, Wagner and Nuno Santo.

Regarding other candidates, Ainsworth, without the rovers connections i'm not too sure he'd be high on that many list  its emotions over head. Done a decent job at Wycombe,  but rovers is a huge step up and I don't think this would be the right appointment.

Houghton, proven but is he an upgrade on TM, im not too sure.

All the above though would not matter, if we continue to operate in the manner we do.

That is a concern with Carlos Calvalhal the amount of clubs he has had and the amount of seasons he has at each one. 

Farke is the obvious candidate. They are others I would want to interview like Gareth Ainsworth, Lee Johnson, Former Granada Head coach Diego Martínez, maybe a few others. 

Agree that Hughton isn't an upgrade on Mowbray at all

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's exactly what Mowbray is complaining about. The only way to achieve promotion or finish in the top 6, for him, is by doing it like that. Buy good players who can tippy tap their way to a top 6 finish. There's no plan B or alternative route with Mowbray. Small budget? Forget about it, the best I can do is develop these youngsters and try to help them with a few loans and a couple of cheap buys.

He derided Barnsley's style of play when they were in the top 6 saying "I prefer to do it in the right way". We put on one of the best displays for a long time in the second half against Derby, yet he had a face like thunder. We reverted back to shite at Reading a few days later and he seemed fine with it.

He's not been able to achieve a top 6 finish in the way that he believes it should be done, by spending on good possession based players, so now it's a case of "I want a club that has the the backing, finances and support to compete at the top". It's both self preservation and a dig at the owners for not showing ambition.

Nail square on the head.

16 minutes ago, frosty said:

I was surprised that Hughton was so poor at Forest but he’s a lot better than Mowbray, let’s be honest - just look at their records.

Imo it needs somebody like that to bolt on to what Mowbray has left and hopefully move a step forwards. Somebody who really knows this league but has a bit more gumption and focus on results.

Some of these foreign names are all well and good but a lot have no real pedigree or knowledge of this league.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, frosty said:

I was surprised that Hughton was so poor at Forest but he’s a lot better than Mowbray, let’s be honest - just look at their records.

Agreed. Whilst Hughton wouldn’t be my first choice, he’s been a decent manager overall.

Even decent managers often have one failure on their CV.

We’re not talking about a serial failure like Coyle, or an under achiever like Mowbray.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well considering the job he has done on shoe string budget in League 2 and 1 which he gained 2 promotions with them, Ainsworth has done very well there. 

Here we go again with Mick McCarthy points/comments, He is outdated and tactics at Cardiff shown that this season. 

I agree. Ainsworth has done very well with Wycombe.

My point was that in doing so there is nothing in the stats that points to the football or style you seem to crave or require from a candidate for the Rovers job.

His side are the oldest and bottom for things like possession and passes.

You appear quite happy to ignore that and appoint him regardless in the hope he does a u turn and adopts a completely different approach here (or you aren't actually that bothered about style in the first place)

Either way it seems quite pointless discussing the styles of certain managers when you are then willing to disregard it anyway and appoint someone at odds with that style.

• Like 1

I think most of us can boil the options down to three lists - the managers we really want but are largely not expecting to get, the managers that would be fine and we have a chance to get, and the managers we really do not want.

The good news is that there are actually quite a few names on the first two being thrown about with a degree of possibility.

The bad news is that when they inevitably appoint one of the third it will seem all the worse for the number of decent options out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

A few first decent first team appearances by Phillips next season and his value will increase 5 fold.

I'm with you on BBD.  It's the old rovers dilemma.  I've no doubt Forest have a decent sell on clause so given what we paid for him, we may not come out with much.  

Shouldn’t be much of a sell-on clause considering the fee we paid for him. 

BBD performed well until he was injured and had to get his sharpness back. By then the form and confidence of his teammates were long gone. 

On 07/05/2022 at 00:20, RevidgeBlue said:

About his level.

And he'd be nearer his family.

A match made in heaven.

His level? It clearly isn't is it. 

We would be right to let him go IF we indeed do but 15th, 11th, 15th and 8th placed finishes with a club with our wage bill ranking lower mid table is very respectable and prove that he is capable of this level of reasonable results.

4 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

From Nixon

-qg9xe2.jpg

Nixon is a laughing stock. The manager hasn't even been officially sacked yet subject to a predictable begging phone call. Nixon meanwhile has linked us to so many managers as if we have put any thought into potential replacements.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need a manager like Farke or someone who will play an attacking style of play where we press high and win the ball back. McCarthy and Hughton aren't this person. 

Farke is the obvious candidate. They are others I would want to interview like Gareth Ainsworth, Lee Johnson, Former Granada Head coach Diego Martínez, maybe a few others. 

Why do we have to play this specific style? Is it not a much simpler idea to appoint a manager with the best chance of good results and let him bloody decide what style to employ to do that.

Also, Lee Johnson? Not only is he a little cretin but he isn't a particularly good manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AspRover said:

I think most of us can boil the options down to three lists - the managers we really want but are largely not expecting to get, the managers that would be fine and we have a chance to get, and the managers we really do not want.

The good news is that there are actually quite a few names on the first two being thrown about with a degree of possibility.

The bad news is that when they inevitably appoint one of the third it will seem all the worse for the number of decent options out there.

That’s why I want ainsworth . It’s the safest option and if nothing else will get us out off a relegation scrap

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I agree. Ainsworth has done very well with Wycombe.

My point was that in doing so there is nothing in the stats that points to the football or style you seem to crave or require from a candidate for the Rovers job.

His side are the oldest and bottom for things like possession and passes.

You appear quite happy to ignore that and appoint him regardless in the hope he does a u turn and adopts a completely different approach here (or you aren't actually that bothered about style in the first place)

Either way it seems quite pointless discussing the styles of certain managers when you are then willing to disregard it anyway and appoint someone at odds with that style.

That's why you interview people and asked them about their plans going forward including the style of play he would bring and would it suit the squad, transfer and wage budget, backroom staff changes, Would they keep bringing through academy players, etc. I have said I would interview Ainsworth and see what happens there. 

Yes I am aware of those facts about age, possession and passes. Maybe that why he played that way cos of those reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That’s why I want ainsworth . It’s the safest option and if nothing else will get us out off a relegation scrap

Ainsworth is probably top (or near top anyway) of my 'Would be fine and we have a decent chance of getting' list too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why you interview people and asked them about their plans going forward including the style of play he would bring and would it suit the squad, transfer and wage budget, backroom staff changes, Would they keep bringing through academy players, etc. I have said I would interview Ainsworth and see what happens there. 

Yes I am aware of those facts about age, possession and passes. Maybe that why he played that way cos of those reasons. 

Not having a pop at you, Chaddy, but this reported interview process just sums up the cluelessness with which we are run.

A clued up, well run club identifies the person they want and goes after them.

Given the amount of work to be done, and the early start to next season, we cannot afford to be messing about with interviews.

If you don’t get your first choice you move on to your second preferred candidate, and so on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The manager hasn't even been officially sacked yet

Why has he got to be sack for? His contract ends in 7 weeks time. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do we have to play this specific style? Is it not a much simpler idea to appoint a manager with the best chance of good results and let him bloody decide what style to employ to do that.

Also, Lee Johnson? Not only is he a little cretin but he isn't a particularly good manager.

Because that's what suit this group of players In my opinion. 

What happens if you employ a manager who specific style not suited to Dack or Buckley or other attacking players. We have mid table championship squad and with additions to the squad we should be challenging for the playoffs next season. Or you willing to allow him to massive overall the playing staff? 

On Lee Johnson and someone who was harshly sacked at Sunderland, Has a history of bringing through academy players, made some good transfers from PL like Tomas Kalas and Jay De Silva. Maybe he abit like Mowbray tbh but someone I would interview