BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Paul Ince is another, as is Berg.

Just actual Rovers points of reference.

Both of those had actually managed though. Ince had even had success with MK Dons. That's why Kidd is being brought up, he's the most recent example of us giving someone their first senior management role.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Top managers don't fit the club though apparently so no point the owners paying for one. 

LET..."Evaluations and recommendations from the second set of interviews, carried out this week, have been sent to the owners and awaiting their approval."

Cue: Barry and Confused sprawled on silken cushions, poring over psychometric scores and Myers- Briggs data..

HELLO-Ooooooooo!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Both of those had actually managed though. Ince had even had success with MK Dons. That's why Kidd is being brought up, he's the most recent example of us giving someone their first senior management role.

The point everyone seems to be missing about Kidd is that he was fired when he'd tried and failed to get us back up. 

Nowadays we'd just keep going as long as we didn't go down.

• Like 3

Aren’t the majority of managers ex-players so it kind of makes the point of whether players are successful managers moot?

i.e for every Ince/Berg we’ve had a a Hughes/Alladyce (all 4 played top level football)

Likewise assistants (to a lesser extent maybe) -Kidd was a failure as a manager but the likes of Mourinho even Paisley were assistants at the start of their careers. 

Edited by superniko

36 minutes ago, Staffordshire Rover said:

Doesn’t look a bad side that, just missing our top scorer from the starting 11 😉

He won’t be here!

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Aren’t the majority of managers ex-players so it kind of makes the point of whether players are successful managers moot?

i.e for every Ince/Berg we’ve had a a Hughes/Alladyce (all 4 played top level football)

Likewise assistants (to a lesser extent maybe) -Kidd was a failure as a manager but the likes of Mourinho even Paisley we’re assistants at the start of their careers. 

Not the point being made. Of course most managers are ex players and someone has to give them their first job. It shouldn't be us though. It's too much of a risk, too much of an unknown.

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

The Rovers job is clearly as attractive as my Mrs first thing in a morning! 

So what you're saying is Rovers need to have a shower and put some makeup on. Maybe wear a nice dress.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Not the point being made. Of course most managers are ex players and someone has to give them their first job. It shouldn't be us though. It's too much of a risk, too much of an unknown.

Who is the ex-player who we’re allegedly giving their first job to then? Apologies if I’ve missed the name given the pages are flying through! (Ferguson maybe?)

13 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

LET..."Evaluations and recommendations from the second set of interviews, carried out this week, have been sent to the owners and awaiting their approval."

Cue: Barry and Confused sprawled on silken cushions, poring over psychometric scores and Myers- Briggs data..

HELLO-Ooooooooo!

Who is telling the journo this ?    Or is it just assumption based on hearsay ?

As usual never any meat on the bones because they are probably getting their information from Nixon.

Why aren't they hunting down someone from the club or ownership and asking them direct.

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Who is the ex-player who we’re allegedly giving their first job to then? Apologies if I’ve missed the name given the pages are flying through! (Ferguson maybe?)

Yes, it's in reference to the rumours (and recommendations, from some batshit fans) about the likes of Ferguson, Carrick etc.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, it's in reference to the rumours (and recommendations, from some batshit fans) about the likes of Ferguson, Carrick etc.

It actually looks like it’s all in reference to Sparks saying Brian Kidd won trophies as a player in response to a comment about JDT winning the Champions League as a player. 

So my first post was exactly on point actually. The comments were nothing to do with us hiring a rookie and nothing to do with Ferguson or Carrick…they were around whether a player winning trophies will make him a good manager….which is completely moot, some have, some haven’t. Every example is independent.

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I would say Bowyer is the most recent example of this.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Tying together everything, this is what I think has happened:

I reckon it was narrowed down to three managers (probably Warne, Ferguson, Ainsworth), ready for Steve Walsh (preferred DOF) to choose from.

Broughton is only very recently out of work, and (I'm told) was 'approached as soon as available' AHEAD OF Walsh - possibly cold feet considering his Everton fiasco?

I'm told 'his connections have opened more options' this week, which makes sense to me as to why Deila and JDT were suddenly in the picture, and possibly why it's taken us this long.

I personally think it'll be JDT now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Solksjaer, Bohinen, or even Sven had been approached.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Have you ever thought that the "best" candidates" as named on here and in media are not always the better fit for the club? I mean, I have been in jobs where the stand out favourites have actually missed the job because a lesser candidate actually showed an alternative view to the job which might just be to the benefit of the club.

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit - yes we have seen over the years the club spiral into chaos but right now, after a pandemic of massive proportions, the club is on a stable footing, we are not facing issues with FFP, we are not facing administration or a points deduction, we are not a Derby County, Bristol C or any of the other clubs that are facing financial investigations.

Yes, there are issues with season ticket/match prices, and I for one sincerely hope the club are listening to the likes of RT and I am disappointed that so far, I haven't seen a response to the letter that was so eloquently put together by those with a real concern.

So, as for the new manager to be, it isn't a grayson, it isn't a coyle wannabee cheapee, its looking like an alternative vision, something new so lets see how it pans out. There is no ruish to get the manager behind the desk next week, its a conditioning week, the real training starts in 10 days, that's when the manager needs to be in.

Conclusive proof that your opinion has been warped by somebody. 

We are being propped up to the tune of £20m per season and that's just for starters.

in the words of Jim Royle "stable my arse".

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, superniko said:

It actually looks like it’s all in reference to Sparks saying Brian Kidd won trophies as a player in response to a comment about JDT winning the Champions League as a player. 

So my first post was exactly on point actually. The comments were nothing to do with us hiring a rookie and nothing to do with Ferguson or Carrick…they were around whether a player winning trophies will make him a good manager….which is completely moot, some have, some haven’t. Every example is independent.

I was being general, as Kidd has come up a few times lately as Joe said. I'll take your word about the specific reference.

But it's still a fair point for Sparks to make - it's close to irrelevant whether a manager won trophies as a player. Being a great player doesn't make you a great manager, but some like to talk as though it does. I prefer to judge managers on their management.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I would say Bowyer is the most recent example of this.

Sorry, yes, you're absolutely right. I nearly phrased it differently to include about Kidd having been a successful player and assistant too, but it seemed superfluous as I forgot about Bowyer.

I think it's a little bit different when someone has been handed the reins on a caretaker basis first and shown they can handle it. Otherwise appointing Bowyer straight to first team boss would have been a bit batshit. Then again, even then at least he would have had the advantage over the likes of Carrick in terms of knowing the club. I still wouldn't do it though, as some have advocated doing with Damien Johnson.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

But it's still a fair point for Sparks to make - it's close to irrelevant whether a manager won trophies as a player. Being a great player doesn't make you a great manager, but some like to talk as though it does. I prefer to judge managers on their management.

Completely agree. 
I’d say the only benefit of a successful player is that a bigger name might have a bigger pull on loans/youngsters which is beneficial to our current level in the Championship.

They could still be poor managers of course. 

i.e a Rooney type would attract better players than a Grayson / Atkins type

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

Completely agree. 
I’d say the only benefit of a successful player is that a bigger name might have a bigger pull on loans/youngsters which is beneficial to our current level in the Championship.

They could still be poor managers of course. 

i.e a Rooney type would attract better players than a Grayson / Atkins type

Exactly. It's an advantage, but it's a secondary or even tertiary consideration.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I just find it mad that he's come up so often, it's 2022, as a reference point it's just really outdated for me.

But this is a rovers forum and the last time Rovers employed a person from another club with no history in management was Kidd.  If there were others in between they’d be referenced.

If people were referencing Sammy Lee or Peter Taylor as an example of coaches not making good managers id see your point.