BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

17 minutes ago, pomster said:

Question is ... who head hunted Broughton ?

I doubt very much maggott would have the nouse to even know who Broughton is

We used an external head hunting company

46 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It's an interesting question tbf.

Obviously being biased, JDT is the better appointment!

But Kompany strikes me as the sort of bloke with a driven, ambitious, winning mindset. He only retired from playing a couple of years ago and should have taken a hell of a lot away from his time working with Pep. On the face of it, seems like it should be a decent appointment.

Can't profess to knowing much about Anderlecht and if two 3rd place finishes are anything to write home about?

How does the Belgian and Swedish leagues compare? I don't have any idea.

Two third place finishes in Belgium compared to two Swedish league winning finishes and a winning the round stages of a Champions League campaign.

How does this translate to managing two clubs with massive rebuilding jobs before the league starts? No idea about that too! But it's more interesting than previous seasons for sure.

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think he'll get shut of players like Gally.  Terrible player with the ball at his feet...hearing all this hyperbole about the performance before result, can't see SG being part of it.

Easier said than done - he's on good money and just signed a new contract. 

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Can't profess to knowing much about Anderlecht and if two 3rd place finishes are anything to write home about?

Anderlecht are one of the bigger clubs in Belgium. In fact historically at least they're the most successful team there, and have dominated it more than Malmo (most successful team domestically in Sweden) have dominated Sweden. 34 top flight wins to 22.

I don't know much about their recent fortunes, but they are definitely a bigger club than Union Saint-Gilloise who were in their first top flight season for decades last season but finished top of the league. Looks like they use one of those stupid playoff systems in Belgium now to decide the title, that are becoming more common. That had better never happen over here.

• Like 1

Broughton when asked has he had chance to speak with Ryan, or his representatives?

“Not yet, but that’s on the agenda, and will happen very soon.  “Hopefully we’ll have an answer on that shortly.

“Ryan is a top player, he can be a top, top Championship player, I think he really suits the football that Jon wants to play.

“We’ll sit down with him, but it’s wrong of me to put words in someone’s mouth and I haven’t had chance to speak to either Ryan or his representative.

“When I’ve done that, I’ll be able to give you more information.”

I'm a bit disappointed with that.  9 days(?) since he was appointed.  That is one of the most pressing matters this summer.   If Nyambe stays we PROBABLY have enough cover not to worry about right back.  If he goes it's yet another position to fill in our threadbare squad. 

I understand Nyambe left the Namibia squad for personal reasons last week so maybe he hasn't been available to speak with,

• Like 2

Agreed, I thought it was odd he hadn't reached out to Nyambe. That's the sort of thing you need to act fast on because there's a finite amount of time before his contract expires and its one less position off the list. 

Would have thought there would be more circling for him though but there doesn't seem to be the interest. 

34 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nope. Got to do some work worthy of the name to deserve a holiday...

I realise that he's a very soft target on here but for a bit of balance I don't think he's done too badly over the past week or two. 

Broughton says he believes Mowbray 'over-achieved for years.' That doesn't fill me with confidence. 

There also seems to be a distinctive unwillingness to bluntly state what the ambition is. A lot of vagueness. How hard is it to say, "We will fight for promotion"? 

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

It's an interesting question tbf.

Obviously being biased, JDT is the better appointment!

But Kompany strikes me as the sort of bloke with a driven, ambitious, winning mindset. He only retired from playing a couple of years ago and should have taken a hell of a lot away from his time working with Pep. On the face of it, seems like it should be a decent appointment.

It would be on a par with, Celtic finishing third for two seasons, when Rangers had been demoted to the third division.

9 minutes ago, Roverall said:

Broughton says he believes Mowbray 'over-achieved for years.' That doesn't fill me with confidence. 

There also seems to be a distinctive unwillingness to bluntly state what the ambition is. A lot of vagueness. How hard is it to say, "We will fight for promotion"? 

This club doesn’t do that. It’s always ‘journeys’, ‘ambition to do x’, ‘growth’, ‘ethos’.  Vague mentions of the PL but never with a budget to enable it. We never seem to get anywhere on these journeys.

And as enthusiastic and professional as he sounds, Broughton doesn’t seem the type to deviate from that. The crux of all this is where does someone like JDT fit into it all? He doesn’t seem the sort of manager happy to sit in mid table with an average budget, with a squad of young players and loanees year in year out.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I realise that he's a very soft target on here but for a bit of balance I don't think he's done too badly over the past week or two. 

Because a head-hunting agency found Broughton and then Broughton found JDT? Nah that doesn't cut it.

Even if you're right and we have Waggott to thank for these appointments (if thank is the right word - time will tell of course), a couple of weeks of good work after years of pretty much sabotaging the club for 300k a year...no, he's not just a very soft target, he really can go fuck himself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

This club doesn’t do that. It’s always ‘journeys’, ‘ambition to do x’, ‘growth’, ‘ethos’.  Vague mentions of the PL but never with a budget to enable it. We never seem to get anywhere on these journeys.

And as enthusiastic and professional as he sounds, Broughton doesn’t seem the type to deviate from that. The crux of all this is where does someone like JDT fit into it all? He doesn’t seem the sort of manager happy to sit in mid table with an average budget, with a squad of young players and loanees year in year out.

No way are JDT and Broughton taking us on a day trip to Grimsby.

10 minutes ago, Roverall said:

But we aren't going to be in the fight for promotion. Not this season, not realistically.

I think it's important for fans to grasp that this will be a transitional season. Whether we like it or not. Regardless of the posts I've seen that 'we finished 8th, we need to do better this season', it's not a realistic ask. We had a purple patch for a few months last season, but we were absolutely abysmal for an entire half a season after that, the most recent half. It just came together beautifully for a bit, and one man (BBD) who won't be here next season in all likelihood was a huge part of that.

We need to face facts. We have half a squad, probably not much of a budget, and a new management structure and team that we have appointed a few weeks later than would have been ideal, who have all switched countries. If we do replace the squad losses adequately, the new players will still need time to settle in to their new environments and teammates. The existing squad are clearly going to need to adapt to a new playing style.

I'm not saying this to be doom and gloom at all. I'm just preaching patience, and giving JDT the time he needs to make things tick. With all the above factors, there is every chance we get off to a slow start to the season, and it's crucial that despair doesn't set in amongst the fanbase. Obviously we don't want any several year journey to nowhere bullshit again, and losing all our first 5 games wouldn't be acceptable, but it's unlikely we achieve success overnight with everything considered.

Not saying it can't happen either, maybe everything comes together perfectly again but without an incompetent in the hotseat and we get over the line. But being realistic, a mid-table finish with signs of growth as the season goes on is all we should really expect this season. With a promotion challenge the next season being a must. So I'm not surprised they're not talking about promotion this season. They've talked about becoming a stable Prem club though so it's clearly in the plan going forward.

(p.s. - Totally agree it's a bit concerning if Broughton thinks Mowbray overachieved for years, but hopefully he's just paying lip service)

• Like 8