BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Szmodics has played well in games and provided 3 goals and 1 assist. We need to used him more properly as number 10 in 4-2-3-1 formation. 

I had high hopes for him but he isn't fit to lace Dack's boots as a No10 if we're honest. He runs around a lot but there isn't much to show for it. It's no surprise that he was about to be loaned out by P;boro to a fellow League 1 side a few months before we signed him. He is very much a League 1 player. A very odd signing for £2m+

• Like 6

I’ve just about calmed down after Saturday. 

We are absolutely awful to watch, even when we win. It’s all about not losing and sticking 11 men behind the ball. It reminds me of when Allardyce was in charge. Paying £50 a month to watch us having 1 shot on target for a full game and defend for the rest of it, is not something I’ll be doing next season.

I’ll be blunt here: if he’s still here in summer, my season ticket won’t be being renewed because there is absolutely no enjoyment in going to Ewood currently. Say what you want about Mowbray, but at least we gave it a shot under him. 

6 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I’ve just about calmed down after Saturday. 

We are absolutely awful to watch, even when we win. It’s all about not losing and sticking 11 men behind the ball. It reminds me of when Allardyce was in charge. Paying £50 a month to watch us having 1 shot on target for a full game and defend for the rest of it, is not something I’ll be doing next season.

I’ll be blunt here: if he’s still here in summer, my season ticket won’t be being renewed because there is absolutely no enjoyment in going to Ewood currently. Say what you want about Mowbray, but at least we gave it a shot under him. 

I'd agree the football is the worst I've ever seen at Ewood. 

• Like 3

There were plenty stinkers under Mowbray and Bowyer etc 

It is the championship after all but what is worse about this is he just seems to think it's ok because it's project football. You don't use games against Burnley and Preston like practise matches.

To be fair the poor football has given us good home results but on the road its been worse football and worse results overall. There is a real danger that will transcend into the home games now unless it is mixed up and stepped up a bit because in truth even at home we were getting away with it for a good while.

This division always finds you out before long.

• Like 1

Tomasson when he took over 'We're going to play fast attacking football. We want to win but we also want to entertain the fans"

The reality:

We've had the 2nd fewest shots per game in the league (only Rotherham have had fewer)

We've had the fewest shot per game inside the 6 yard box in the whole league. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'd agree the football is the worst I've ever seen at Ewood. 

i agree,it`s the worst since the early 90`s when the mackay era was coming to a close,it`s probably even worse,at least then we created nothing in attack but we did`nt invite our own downfall by passing it around at the back constantly

18 hours ago, Upside Down said:

The last two games were a total embarrassment. 

As far as I'm concerned the only way he can redeem himself now is beating the dingles and getting us promoted. 

Right now I have got him in the dolloper category.

And a stubborn dolloper at that, (remind you of anyone ?).  

55 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Tomasson when he took over 'We're going to play fast attacking football. We want to win but we also want to entertain the fans"

The reality:

We've had the 2nd fewest shots per game in the league (only Rotherham have had fewer)

We've had the fewest shot per game inside the 6 yard box in the whole league. 

He was probably sighting himself up having read Roy of the Rovers when he made that statement. 

If we had the players it might be a possible to play fast attacking football. We don't. We do have fans with fast beating hearts when Kaminski squares a 10 yard ball to Pickering still in his goal area, which is not the entertainment JDT was meaning.

Yet we are 3rd in the Championship. If we were 3rd from the bottom there would be a case for getting rid of him.

Frustrating days.

• Like 1

I don't mind dull boring football if it gets results. I don't mind getting a goal up and then protecting the lead if it works. I've no problem hanging on at home against Birmingham and Huddersfield if we see it through and win.

I've lost count the number of sides that have got out of this league playing that way - Burnley under Dyche the prime example - never won plaudits for their play but ground out results doing just enough each week to get them over the line. 

For all the talk about nice football and playing your way out of this league the reality is that the route to getting out of it is to be pragmatic, give nothing away and ensure you protect a lead when you get it. 

That is why I have been so pleased this season with our results when we have got our noses in front. Because it is not to be sniffed at that we never let a lead slip and had won 6 on the bounce at home. I don't accept that is a fluke. This league is too inconsistent for that.

But the flip side is there in black and white. To never recover so much as a single point, and rarely even look like scoring, when we go behind in games is very worrying and has to change one way or the other. It cannot be the case that we lose EVERY game we go behind in

Sad to see but there are a significant number of Mowbrayites out there who seem to be hoping this goes wrong so they can say it was a mistake to let him go. People who were happy to sit back and relax when he was taking us on annual runs of relegation form and sitting on his arse sulking like a child during games but now want JDT out after 20 games presumably partly because he won't make tea and biscuits and reminisce about the good old days in interviews.

I hope he lives and dies by results. Currently after the last 2 games there are problems and he needs to earn his corn by addressing them. We might well slide down the table - let's see, hopefully we don't and we get out of this rut. There are clearly issues he needs to sort and if he can't then the pressure will rightfully grow.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't mind dull boring football if it gets results. I don't mind getting a goal up and then protecting the lead if it works. I've no problem hanging on at home against Birmingham and Huddersfield if we see it through and win.

I've lost count the number of sides that have got out of this league playing that way - Burnley under Dyche the prime example - never won plaudits for their play but ground out results doing just enough each week to get them over the line. 

For all the talk about nice football and playing your way out of this league the reality is that the route to getting out of it is to be pragmatic, give nothing away and ensure you protect a lead when you get it. 

That is why I have been so pleased this season with our results when we have got our noses in front. Because it is not to be sniffed at that we never let a lead slip and had won 6 on the bounce at home. I don't accept that is a fluke. This league is too inconsistent for that.

But the flip side is there in black and white. To never recover so much as a single point, and rarely even look like scoring, when we go behind in games is very worrying and has to change one way or the other. It cannot be the case that we lose EVERY game we go behind in

Sad to see but there are a significant number of Mowbrayites out there who seem to be hoping this goes wrong so they can say it was a mistake to let him go. People who were happy to sit back and relax when he was taking us on annual runs of relegation form and sitting on his arse sulking like a child during games but now want JDT out after 20 games presumably partly because he won't make tea and biscuits and reminisce about the good old days in interviews.

I hope he lives and dies by results. Currently after the last 2 games there are problems and he needs to earn his corn by addressing them. We might well slide down the table - let's see, hopefully we don't and we get out of this rut. There are clearly issues he needs to sort and if he can't then the pressure will rightfully grow

Wanting the manager out yet wanting your team to win aren't conducive, you don't get both at once. That's the situation a lot of fans who wanted Mowbray out found themselves in, getting satisfaction from a Rovers defeat. 

Perversely, as you say, there seems to be a similar situation growing against Tomasson.

I don't quite get the"told you so" brigade on either side of the argument. I'd happily be wrong every day of the week if it meant we'd won. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

So not massively different, thus the OTT comment was probably unwarranted.

I would said they were very different on Hyam, Brittain, Morton, Hirst and Szmodics 

17 hours ago, rigger said:

Mola has more potential to play for the first team than Hirst.

I would love to you what you seen in Mola cos I have seen very little in his league appearances 

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

On at least one occasion this fella has got himself injured by bottling out of a challenge. Just what you don’t need in this league.

Maybe that sort of attitude explains why we always lose when we go 1-0 down.

Brittain is a quality player and one of this league best right back

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I had high hopes for him but he isn't fit to lace Dack's boots as a No10 if we're honest. He runs around a lot but there isn't much to show for it. It's no surprise that he was about to be loaned out by P;boro to a fellow League 1 side a few months before we signed him. He is very much a League 1 player. A very odd signing for £2m+

I like Szmodics. He has scored some important goals and that his cross he did for BBD to score was fantastic against Rotherham. 

10 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Absolutely.

I have noticed that he is putting it on the players and I just don't buy it. It looks all wrong to me.

Lots of awful, no show performances-mostly away from home- and several of our victories have been less than convincing. Wilder's comments only heighten my anxiety. 

I met an old mate, who is a non gloating Claret and the first thing he said to me was "Why do you keep dicking about at  the back? You gave us two goals from doing that!"

The start of the 2nd half on Saturday was an alarming indication of a perverse determination to remake the same mistakes...

Wilder's comments only heighten my anxiety.  

What were these ??

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would said they were very different on Hyam, Brittain, Morton, Hirst and Szmodics 

I would love to you what you seen in Mola cos I have seen very little in his league appearances 

I like Szmodics. He has scored some important goals and that his cross he did for BBD to score was fantastic against Rotherham. 

If you judge based on so far, there isnt much different. They could all go either way in the future but for now I think there isnt much in it. Take Hirst for example, you may cling on to a sudden flurry of goals in the second half of the season, but as it stands, he often struggles to make the bench, he has never played well, he hasnt scored and he missed a key penalty. Any rational person would struggle to say that SO FAR he has been anything other than a poor signing. On par with Mola in that we wouldnt have been any worse off had we not bothered with either, as it stands.

The other 4 are perhaps more likely to have a range of opinions. Brittain has been ok when he has played, not one of the best right backs in the league though! And you have to factor injury proneness when judging a signing, we have signed players far better than Brittain that have failed to meet expectations down to bad luck with injuries. I said all summer that we were crying out for experience in midfield, I feel like that has proven itself to be true, Morton is not an upgrade on what we already have. Hyam has been the best of the 6, he isnt amazing and not an upgrade on the 2 that left nor on the main we still have, but happy we have him. And then that leaves Szmodics who was always IMO going to struggle to justify the fee paid, unremarkable and overpriced.

Another thing I would suggest is that there is very little scope to get a profit on any of them, making all of this shite about playing possession football to add value even more bizarre. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

Wilder's comments only heighten my anxiety.  

What were these ??

I'd be interested in hearing them as well ?

Only ones i'm aware of is him saying Nob End were more up for it and everyone expected a Rovers response and changes at half time but we basically rolled over.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

For the U21s Mola has been strong when playing either left fullback, or left wing back. He has shown aggresion and a good aerial ability. Hirst has shown nothing for the U21s. That is why I rate Mola with a better chance of making the first team than Hirst. At no point have I said that Mola should be playing for the first team, just that he has moe potential than Hirst.

If as you say, you would love to see this. I suggest you get yourself down to the U21s.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you agree that he chickened out of the challenge on Saturday, resulting in him getting injured? Do you also agree that he seems to get injured a lot?

Those two things are probably not coincidence, and while he might show quality on the ball, he is sadly lacking in bravery, something you need at full back in the championship, if you want to get promoted.

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

I hope he lives and dies by results. Currently after the last 2 games there are problems and he needs to earn his corn by addressing them. We might well slide down the table - let's see, hopefully we don't and we get out of this rut. There are clearly issues he needs to sort and if he can't then the pressure will rightfully grow.

Based on the above there seem now to be several different types of supporter :

"Mowbrayites" who want JDT out

"Mowbrayites" who don't want JDT out

"Anti-Mowbrayites" who want JDT out

"Anti-Mowbrayites" who don't want JDT out

A few others who are none too sure

Perhaps we will all have to declare what we are.

32 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Do you agree that he chickened out of the challenge on Saturday, resulting in him getting injured? Do you also agree that he seems to get injured a lot?

Those two things are probably not coincidence, and while he might show quality on the ball, he is sadly lacking in bravery, something you need at full back in the championship, if you want to get promoted.

In truth Andy I haven't seen too much quality from Brittain at all. Defensively he has been found wanting and as you rightly point out his self inflicted injury was entirely down to him not fancying a 50/50 ball. Is he an upgrade on Nyambe? The jury is still out for me. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Based on the above there seem now to be several different types of supporter :

"Mowbrayites" who want JDT out

"Mowbrayites" who don't want JDT out

"Anti-Mowbrayites" who want JDT out

"Anti-Mowbrayites" who don't want JDT out

A few others who are none too sure

Perhaps we will all have to declare what we are.

I'm a 'take a step back and get a bit more basic JDTite'  

I think it's too soon to implement such a sea change in tactics so go back to the more subtle version of it we saw earlier in the season. Perhaps another couple of windows and a full summer to work at it would suit us better next season although i can confidently say the pace we do it at the back will never reap anything other than trouble.

We aren't good enough though to do it quicker so it needs shelving for now in favour of 1 or 2 passes then look forwards and some quicker stuff from the keeper down field.

• Like 1