BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

12 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I was posing the question. Lots of strong criticism in the match thread.

That ok with you?

Of course it's ok the buck stops with him so enough of this JDT can do no wrong nonsense.

We know what he's up against but he's gone from protecting the back 4 and dodgy keeper last season and grinding out results in awful games to adopting a style that throws them under the bus.

That's on him.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Of course it's ok the buck stops with him so enough of this JDT can do no wrong nonsense.

We know what he's up against but he's gone from protecting the back 4 and dodgy keeper last season and grinding out results in awful games to adopting a style that throws them under the bus.

That's on him.

You misunderstood. Maybe I wasn't clear.

I was asking if was ok that I posed the question. 

• Moderation Lead
46 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I was posing the question. Lots of strong criticism in the match thread.

That ok with you?

You said ‘seems to be the suggestion from some’, so I asked for an example, as I haven’t read all the match thread, therefore, I hadn’t seen any suggestion of the manager’s removal. 
(If I haven’t watched the match, or attended, I tend to skip the during match chat).

No need to ask my permission to ask a question in fairness, appreciate the politeness, though!

Anyway we've dealt with the negatives but again there were a few positives today.

Several decent individual performances and we caused the best side in the division plenty problems. 

Officials yet again useless way too card happy for both sides.

Pitch is standing up well and we probably got a few quid towards the state of the art bus hire if someone else was using it !!!!

The thing with the questions around the style is that it isn't a drastic change to being direct, set pieces or anything like that, our current squad is inexperienced, small and not suited to that.

Our measly 10 points from 9 games has not been a direct result of gung ho football. We picked 7 of them up from 4 games, one of which was a one off approach by Tomasson that has not been repeated where we went to Watford, sat in and hit them on the break, keeping our only clean sheet. The other 2 were 2-1 home wins against poor looking sides yet neither was our most attacking performance of the season, and the draw at Rotherham was down to them getting a soft red card at 2 up.

We can't just expect to keep chucking so many bodies forward and the goals suddenly stop hitting the back of our net. Sometimes we need to sit a little deeper and look to counter where we can look more dangerous.

There are also the fine margins, our set pieces are obviously an attempt at avoiding chucking it into the box in the absence of height, but they are almost always terrible. 

Results wise, the first half of last season was our most successful chunk under Tomasson and it was the opposite of what we see now, it was lots of narrow wins built on organisation and discipline.

How we could (I don't think we will, Tomasson as per most managers seems stubborn and has been building towards this style during his time here) shore up could be more subtle by tweaking things within the current formation to ensure more bodies are back especially the 2 in front of the defence and sometimes being willing to play more on the counter, or it could also prompt a change of shape. Maybe a third centre back for example would not only stiffen us up but also give us more height, seeing Travis marking giants shows how small we are. 

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Genuinely, who has this opinion?

I've not seen it anywhere.

JDT has done a very good job for us so far, but he absolutely has flaws.
If he didn't, he'd be managing at a much higher level that the Championship.

Haven't seen a single Rovers fan suggest that he can 'do no wrong'?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Genuinely, who has this opinion?

I've not seen it anywhere.

JDT has done a very good job for us so far, but he absolutely has flaws.
If he didn't, he'd be managing at a much higher level that the Championship.

Haven't seen a single Rovers fan suggest that he can 'do no wrong'?

There are plenty running around saying it isn't his fault it's the situation we are in or just bad luck every week because our chances don't go in and the oppositions do.

I'm merely pointing out he has to shoulder responsibility for some of it just like any other gaffer does,

Fans opinions and comments aren't exclusive to this board if you looked further afield you'd see a lot saying it isn't his fault. Similar you'll see the odd nutter saying it's all his fault.