BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Well Johnny Eustace would certainly get a decent reception from the travelling Stokies if he's on the touchline on Sat. One of my favourite ever Stoke players, would easily have had a good Prem career if he hadn't been so blighted by injury throughout his prime. Class midfielder.

Probably end up a bit meh as a manager but I wish him well

44 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think, but might be wrong, that we paid to get Appleton from Blackpool all those years ago for some reason.

That was the one I was unsure about but couldn't be arsed looking it up 😁😁

28 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

African Champions league qualification without Kaizer Chiefs or Orlando Pirates, and man UTD coach.  Champions league winner and ex player.  

To be very clear I do not endorse him as manager, but on paper...

Yep that's all I was getting at too 👍

On paper he has a lot of potential, some club will take a punt on him at some point I'm sure

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

On what basis would Eustace be 'exciting' or 'forward looking'

I'm just genuinely unclear what it is that he possesses that has led you to conclude this.

It appears to me to be the fact that he hasn't managed many teams or for very long.

He might be a good un I'm just not clear how he has earned such a solid 'exciting' reputation from 1 season battling the drop at Birmingham

Dunno if you read the link I posted earlier, but it was comments from a Brum journo made to a Bristol City journo when he was on their radar a couple of months back. Included:

"To start with, Eustace was quite negative with his play as Birmingham relied on long-ball football and set pieces a little. As time progressed, though, there was more of a possession focus. The recent summer transfer window really helped Eustace’s style to become more exciting and attacking as Blues signed a handful of tricky wingers.

"Eustace showed some good tactical versatility during his time at St Andrew’s as he switched between three main formations – a wide 4-2-3-1, a narrow 4-2-2-2 diamond and a 3-5-2 with wing-backs.

"The Robins would definitely benefit from Eustace’s strong man-management skills and his working-class mentality. He used to speak often and passionately about getting his players to fight for one another as if they were a working-class family. It brought about brilliant results, especially in the latter stages of games.

"The downside would have to be Eustace’s decision-making with substitutions. Birmingham fans would often get frustrated by the lack of changes or the lateness. Eustace clearly likes to keep some sort of continuity in his lineups, including throughout matches, but sometimes subs were needed quicker to shift the momentum."

There's definitely some positives there & parallels between what awaits here in terms of the club background, and also some ability to improve significant weaknesses our team have (e.g. set pieces, strong in the final stages of games). Someone on here also recalled that his Brum side played brilliantly against us, only losing as Kaminski was inspired, and I remember that too.

Look, I'm not saying he would be ideal, but he would be better overall than Neil would as a younger, more dynamic man at the helm.

Just my opinion, but certainly not without logic.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Look, I'm not saying he would be ideal, but he would be better overall than Neil would as a younger, more dynamic man at the helm.

Weirdly, Neil is two years younger.

Cant believe he’s only 42

6 hours ago, Northcote blues said:

I want Alex Neil.

A) more experienced than eustace

B) still lives in area

C) will wind up the nobbers 

Lives just up road from me and saw him out walking the dog yesterday morning. Maximum 10 minute commute to Brockhall.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Yep that's all I was getting at too 👍

On paper he has a lot of potential, some club will take a punt on him at some point I'm sure

Has potential but not the man for this moment. Somebody will give him a chance somewhere though, you'd think.

To be honest, I personally don't want any former Rovers' players or managers from before 2010 to walk in to this mess, only to be treated like crap by these tossers.

Seen Duffer mentioned along with Hughes and Benni as manager, and Wilcox as DOF too. All of those guys were a part of a clean and honest Rovers setup and provided us with fantastic memories.

They do not deserve to enter this circus operated by devious bastards and end up tarnishing the good memories that we have of them. No manager can succeed under this setup, imo. It's why I want our former favourites to stay away.

I didn't want Henning Berg to come here either in 2012/13 for the same reason. He came here with honest intentions and was shat upon by clowns. He deserved better. I don't think any less of him as a Rovers player, it's just a shame that these idiots got the opportunity to mess him around.

For any of the hierarchy thinking appointing a former player will quieten the unrest...dream on! 

• Like 4