BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Has Kilkenny been officially written off by people who have never seen him play?

Depends on the definition of ‘writing off’.

I think people have said it’s an underwhelming signing, as he’s not that experienced and been injured from what I can see?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Has Kilkenny been officially written off by people who have never seen him play?

Yes, as well as people who don't bother doing their homework and lazily conclude he can't get into the Stoke first team when he's injured. 🤦‍♂️

Frankly, I'd never heard of him until now. I have no idea if he's good or bad. At all. None of us do. But we'll all draw our own conclusions before he's picked up the pen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Depends how you look at it. I’d say questions are being asked as to whether a young midfielder with limited experience, who seems physically similar to several other players who are contracted to us long term but probably aren’t getting as much game time as we’d like, is really what we need.

If you want to bash other fans though, that’s the narrative to take.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Depends how you look at it. I’d say questions are being asked as to whether a young midfielder with limited experience, who seems physically similar to several other players who are contracted to us long term but probably aren’t getting as much game time as we’d like, is really what we need.

If you want to bash other fans though, that’s the narrative to take.

Bash other fans? FFS! I merely asked if he's been written off due to the rash of comments calling it 'embarrassing' and 'scraping the barrel'. If you want to bash everything the club does though, that's the narrative for you to take. 

• Like 1

The lad might be decent, the underwhelming aspect for me is it’s another centre midfielder of short stature when everyone has noticed that we get bullied in midfield and are crying out for someone who can bully back. This guy doesn’t look like he’d be that but happy to be proven wrong

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

Yes, as well as people who don't bother doing their homework and lazily conclude he can't get into the Stoke first team when he's injured. 🤦‍♂️

Frankly, I'd never heard of him until now. I have no idea if he's good or bad. At all. None of us do. But we'll all draw our own conclusions before he's picked up the pen.

The fact he's injured makes it, on paper, an even poorer signing.

The criticism clearly isn't personal to the player.

It's simply a reaction to what looks like a massive statement of non intent.

We have enough young players in midfield. What's needed is someone a little more battle scarred and worldly wise to marshal them and ensure we don't get bullied so easily, and to rally the troops when we fall behind.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I've never heard of him either. I'll wait fir us to sign him and then wait to see him play before I call it 'embarrassing' or 'scraping the barrel '

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Bash other fans? FFS! I merely asked if he's been written off due to the rash of comments calling it 'embarrassing' and 'scraping the barrel'. If you want to bash everything the club does though, that's the narrative for you to take. 

And I merely answered. Depends how you look at it. 

If you’re predisposed to defend everything the club do, you’ll criticise other fans who aren’t immediately enamoured with the idea. If you’re naturally cynical/sceptical of the club, there’s not a lot in this rumoured signing to get excited about.

😎

59 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Exactly. We need experience in the middle. Not another young lad, and certainly not one that's not ours. IMO. Time these European scouts started earning their corn. during the summer.

Spotted playing on the beach in Benidorm.😎

Just now, Miller11 said:

And I merely answered. Depends how you look at it. 

If you’re predisposed to defend everything the club do, you’ll criticise other fans who aren’t immediately enamoured with the idea. If you’re naturally cynical/sceptical of the club, there’s not a lot in this rumoured signing to get excited about.

Who's doing that?

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

I have seen Kilkenny a few times when at Bournemouth and he was a tidy little player in front of the defence. We do need a midfielder desperately and I don't have a problem using the loan market in January because the focus has to be on the next few months.

That being said, it would be a rather underwhelming signing if true, a young lad who has barely kicked a ball all season. I would want a real signing of quality with a bit more experience, Pearson/O'Brien/Barlaser or similar. I expect sadly a lack of needed help as we saw last January in a good position.

I wonder if one of the current crop will be loaned out?

7 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Who's doing that?

There’s nearly as much talk bemoaning fans for writing off the player than there is about the merits (or lack thereof) of the signing.

Anyone on here who would be underwhelmed by the signing would get behind the player if he were to sign. They’d want him to succeed, because that could only be good for the club. I don’t understand the problem with people voicing an opinion that maybe they would prefer we look elsewhere when at present it’s nothing more than rumour and paper talk anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Kilkenny was unlucky considering he was signed on loan by a different manager than the one they have now. O'Neill signed him, only managed to get a few games out of him until his injury, and I presume Neil doesn't fancy him.

and Neil is a pretty decent judge of a player.