BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So what are these personal reasons why he has been missing games for then? 

I would sign him as I think JDT would bring the best out of him and get him back to previous form. 

what's your point here? please elaborate thanks 

Not a clue, at no point have they been described as anything other than "personal reasons."

The point was that as long as Venkys are here, even hiring very capable staff beneath (if that is how it transpires) doesn't stop the fact that Venkys are still here, and their whole reign has been littered with underachievement.

• Like 3

• Backroom

The problem with relying heavily on youngsters is that they tend to lack consistency and are still learning when it comes to judgement. These are two things that typically you shouldn't have to worry about if you pick up a more experienced player. We've seen with our midfield this season that there's been a lot of rotation due to consistency and other issues. Having a steady, reliable hand in the centre of the park is as useful as having an Ayala or Hyam at the back. It's all about striking a balance. To be honest I would have understood more if he'd said something like a 30 or 31 year old on a three year deal, but 27 is the ideal age to be paying a decent amount for, as long as it's a solid player who you can rely on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

The problem with relying heavily on youngsters is that they tend to lack consistency and are still learning when it comes to judgement. These are two things that typically you shouldn't have to worry about if you pick up a more experienced player. We've seen with our midfield this season that there's been a lot of rotation due to consistency and other issues. Having a steady, reliable hand in the centre of the park is as useful as having an Ayala or Hyam at the back. It's all about striking a balance. To be honest I would have understood more if he'd said something like a 30 or 31 year old on a three year deal, but 27 is the ideal age to be paying a decent amount for, as long as it's a solid player who you can rely on.

Said it before, I never thought I'd miss Bradley Johnson 

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Said it before, I never thought I'd miss Bradley Johnson 

Whilst we aren't missing Bradley Johnson of current day, we do miss having a player of his ilk in the middle of the park who can keep a cool head, read the flow of the game and engage in the dark arts every so often when appropriate to break the opposition's tempo and wind them up a little. Tossing a ball at somebody's head isn't the same thing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Whilst we aren't missing Bradley Johnson of current day, we do miss having a player of his ilk in the middle of the park who can keep a cool head, read the flow of the game and engage in the dark arts every so often when appropriate to break the opposition's tempo and wind them up a little. Tossing a ball at somebody's head isn't the same thing. 

Don't get this comment at all.

Bradley Johnson couldn't pass a ball further than 0.1 yards

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 18:07, chaddyrovers said:

No manager there since the new owner bought the club has had any sort of stability. 7 managers in 6 years I think it is. Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ancelotti, Benitez and Lampard. So I will asked how can you have any sort of stability with this sort of hire and fire policy? 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

no thanks. I have gave my opinion on the topic of Rovers and how I think you forget the past and what has happen. Our new Footballing management people should be judge on what they do in this window and future windows not on the past or the owners. We have very different ways of looking at this point.  

Now that is sad as I asked nicely and it might help you understand my point of view. 

Only the other post of yours I quoted shows you know exactly what impact and influence the owner and past have on today. In fact it's part of your defence of Lampard. Not sure it's possible to recognise it for one club but not the other. 

So well done for sucking me in. At least that answered my prior question of whether it was deliberate or not. Helpful to know for the future. Stumped if I know how that's entertainment or enjoyable for you..

I may well have been as energised as everyone else at the time, if I'd been on when it kicked off, but the way the rumoured Kilkenny signing from Bournemouth was hysterically lambasted, made me think it was deadline day. 

Thank god it was nipped in the bud quickly. 

I'm not happy with our transfer dealings so far, obviously, but it might be worth waiting til someone signs, or is rumoured to be signing for at least 24 hours before we get carried away, whether in support or against. 

We know the type of player JDT wants, and that is Hedges, and he'll have identified 4 or 5 similar athletes, and if BBD goes, we'll sign the higher quality 3, and if he stays, we'll sign the less well-known, cheaper 3. 

I'll panic in 10 days time when we've signed no-one and let 4 go. 

Ok, now to focus on Mola and Vale dismantling Rotherham....

3 hours ago, BigBar said:

Maybe to improve the team? No time for sentiment, the bulk of our team can't be made up or potential or promising youngsters...look at the affect Hyam has had? Can't say but he has blocked Carter/Wharton/Philips. I'd sign a midfielder in a heartbeat and let the others take his spot if they are good enough.

Centre backs a bit different though. Scott Wartons a talent but I wouldnt say Carter or Ash Phillips are ready to start. Centre mid Buckley, Adam Wharton and Jake Garrett all are good enough to start and Morton is taking a space. It just seems a massive no confidence in those three to bring in an experienced player. One of them will seize the spot for me.

6 hours ago, J*B said:

I’m currently 4 minutes into ‘The ASD Podcast’ and the guest is none other than Gregg Broughton: 

He’s currently talking about how we signed Morton because he felt we needed a short term solution to midfield because we have Travis and Buckley established with Garrett and Wharton coming through rather than a ‘27 year old on a three year deal that would be expensive’. 

So that puts Hamer to bed as an option. 

Thank you for this. A brilliant listen. I've a lot of hope that GB is going to be a pivotal appointment for us. He speaks superbly and I like his ideas and philosophy. 

Even if Venkys don't change and are difficult to work under, he seems as he will provide consistent planning and strategy on the football side which will only benefit the club.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Don't get this comment at all.

Bradley Johnson couldn't pass a ball further than 0.1 yards

Hence "we aren't missing Bradley Johnson of current day". Unless you think he was terrible throughout his career, but he had a pretty solid run in this league with some decent teams, so I don't really buy that he was always incapable of passing the ball. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J*B said:

I’m currently 4 minutes into ‘The ASD Podcast’ and the guest is none other than Gregg Broughton: 

He’s currently talking about how we signed Morton because he felt we needed a short term solution to midfield because we have Travis and Buckley established with Garrett and Wharton coming through rather than a ‘27 year old on a three year deal that would be expensive’. 

So that puts Hamer to bed as an option. 

This is a great listen and appreciated insight into process. I know a lot are justifiably jaded by talk of “journey” or similar, but there’s no lack of ambition in what he’s talking about. It’s practical, realistic, cautious and responsible. It’s very much added weight to the argument in favour of patience, for me. Crucially, it’s geared towards success and sustainability. Who’s to say what level that was at with previous management, but it strikes me as novel for Rovers, certainly in the Venky’s era. He’s got my support through the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Whatever has gone before, in Greg Broughton we have a strong leader with a clear strategy based on the owners vision of being a sustainable Premier League club.

His in depth articulation of the role and objectives he has gives me confidence in the process. Reading between the lines also helps us to second guess what they might do, too…eg based on his analogy of the midfield scenario, we won’t be signing an experienced midfielder UNLESS they’ve lost long term confidence in Travis and Buckley because to do so would block pathways of Garrett and Wharton.

Really interesting and encouraging insight. Whether you like it or not, there is a plan. 

• Like 7

Gregg's obviously a smart man and comes across very well in things like that. We as fans don't really see the work he's doing/has done behind closed doors. Despite him having what is it, 5 or 6 areas of responsibility, the fans will simply judge him on transfer activity, rightly or wrongly.

In fairness to him, early indications are that he's sorting the glaring issue with contracts out. He joined too late to be able to sort the Brereton one out really so can't blame him on that.

The last transfer window was a rush job with mixed success, so personally I'm happy to cut him some slack on that one. The current one is huge though and sets the tone for his credibility with the fans.

You'll always have an element of the fan base who are unrealistic and expect daft amounts of money to be spent, they'll never be happy. There's literally no reason why someone in Gregg's position shouldn't be able to pull a few rabbits out of hats though with the resources available.

• Like 4

It's okay making room for youth and giving them a chance, but they have to be good enough.

The idea is to create a successful football team and fill the stadium.

At the moment we have a couple of decent youngsters- we've been here in the past. I remember Jason Roberts lauding some of the young talent coming through the ranks: Henley, Lowe, Kean, Hanley and Raheem Hanley.. Look at how that worked out...

I've not listened to the Broughton interview yet. But the only benefit I see in taking this approach is to be able to sell the club and attract better youth players moving forwards.  I suppose if we can't compete with transfers this is a sensible model but the chances of bringing through an entire side good enough to win promotion is going to be very slim.

We still need to dip into the market and sign good players to remain competitive. As the old adage goes "If you're good enough you're old enough" ...  Like-wise if you're not good enough to help the club achieve their ambition then you're getting replaced.

I fear in 5 years time we may look back at the current crop as we do now with Henley et.,al 

When Duff, Dunn, Tiny, Damien Johnson and Beattie were coming through you knew they were special- I don't get that vibe.

Got to dip your toes into the market and buy some experience quality to raise the standard within the club. 

• Like 3

Tomasson stresses importance of Blackburn Rovers' transfer window | Lancashire Telegraph

We haven't got much money but the Hirst wages are available for signings. Seems attack is the priority. We aren't in for Cantwell or Kilkenny. 

He wants signings in as soon as possible but is realistic. 

Can't argue with any of that and at least he's being upfront.

• Like 1