BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

It looks like we're trying to be savvy with transfer deals and sell for profit/not leave ourselves in the Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Brereton situation. We all know we aren't good enough to go up now, realistically. 

We need to build the club up, Ryan Porteous for £500,000, leaves potential of a 6-8x return on investment. Same with Brittain and Hyam. Buckley, 2 x Wharton, Phillips, Trav, Kaminski, Barnes etc. all tied up to deals.

For me, we'd need to invest circa £6million to leave the squad in a position where we realistically think we can achieve that top 6 spot. The management of the club, similar to me, don't seem to be too willing to spend that in a January window on expensive loans/panic buys to try and get that spot. If it didn't work, with FFP to worry about we'd be fucked for another 12 months.

It's frustrating as a fan, I'll be the first to ask questions if we don't sign a CM and a striker this window. But we're currently an unsustainable business model and I'd rather not risk another league one relegation whilst gambling on promotion.

I think we are a business which is severely under managed.

The bottom line, IMO, is we have sh1te management from top to bottom - there is no discernible plan or strategy to me and we are just a rudderless ship lost in the ocean.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I mean the money issue in this context could be we dont have as much as the other teams rather than we have no money but who knows

The money issue will no doubt be the wage structure we've handicapped ourselves with.  Same reason the first team players ran down their contracts.

43 minutes ago, RoryRoversIreland said:

Replacements are not relevant. No matter what budget you have, if a player doesn't want to sign a new contract then he will leave on a free. Burnley lost players in the Summer for free. The fact Chelsea can buy a replacement doesnt change the fact that the player can do what he wants. And the market has leaned that was for the last 12/18 months and will continue to do so. 

They probably expected Darragh and Ryan to agree new deals. Nobody was talking about Ben needing a contract 18 months ago when he wasn’t worth 2 million. Plus they club was broke. In the space of 5 months his value went up from 2/3 million to 15/16 million. 

I don’t think anyone wants anyone leaving on a free but the circumstances of the last 18 months has a lot of context. And we have talked about it into the ground. 

BBD should have been offered a new deal two years ago - and he’d have jumped at it.

’But he was crap then and the fans would have moaned’.

But guess what you do it anyway, as per  SG last season. He had plenty of time on his existing deal too, but it’s called protecting your assets.

You’re right we have talked it into the ground, but so has the club re ‘FFP’ and being skint. So let’s hope some hard lessons have been learned…

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.png.0825e08918a0ebfb644054b975ad1403.png

Current top earners at Udinese. I'm more hopeful we can land him if that is accurate and it just comes down to money. 

Udogie is on loan from Spurs so that is probably his full Spurs wage.

Udinese have had their pants pulled down with Success!! Or not as probably just an in house asset whatever ....

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

BBD should have been offered a new deal two years ago - and he’d have jumped at it.

’But he was crap then and the fans would have moaned’.

But guess what you do it anyway, as per  SG last season. He had plenty of time on his existing deal too, but it’s called protecting your assets.

You’re right we have talked it into the ground, but so has the club re ‘FFP’ and being skint. So let’s hope some hard lessons have been learned…

Offering Gallagher a new deal was criminal at the time and remains so now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost7 said:

If we had decent owners my message to them would be sack the CEO immediately, bring in a team that can work together with the fans, restore some pride and with that generate some revenue for this football club.

And, if you'll excuse me being vulgar, "If me aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle."

We don't have decent owners; and we won't have while we're owned by chicken-sellers from Pune. If we didn't know that before they sacked the Manager who would have kept us in the Premier League for ever and a day - and I know all the arguments about the way we played under his management - we surely do now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I had a look around online and realised- although there's no real official data I could find, just estimates - that actually we are probably lower mid table Championship in terms of wage spend.

Broughton said lower third of the Championship when it comes to wage budget on that ASD Podcast. 

Basically they're approaching it the right way - our Academy costs us £3.5m a year and is one of the best in the country. That, coupled with some shrewd signings, is the only way we're going to progress as a team - we should lean heavily on it. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What evidence?

It isn't Broughton's fault our highest priced asset will leave on a free. He inherited that.

The bloke has had about 6 months in a job, and not even a full transfer window, and here you are saying he is a man out of his depth on "evidence"?

If he ain't got a pot to piss in it isn't his fault. Not yet, anyway. Like any man you need time. Unless you have millions to throw at it a DOF isn't going to get immediate results in less than 6 months

Tiresome

When appointed, the resolution of Brereton's position should have been 2nd on his agenda following the appointment of a new manager.  After all, Brereton WAS the club's biggest asset.

The discussion with Brereton should have been short and sweet.  You either sign a new contract within days or we sell you immediately.  Job done.

IMO, Broughton has singularly failed to successfully manage the second biggest and most pressing issue when he was appointed.  He has failed miserably.  New contracts for Buckley and Travis were akin to fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Might be tiresome to you but it's time many fans woke up and smelt the coffee instead of swallowing the copious bullsh1t that, IMO, continually emanates from Ewood.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

When appointed, the resolution of Brereton's position should have been 2nd on his agenda following the appointment of a new manager.  After all, Brereton WAS the club's biggest asset.

The discussion with Brereton should have been short and sweet.  You either sign a new contract within days or we sell you immediately.  Job done.

IMO, Broughton has singularly failed to successfully manage the second biggest and most pressing issue when he was appointed.  He has failed miserably.  New contracts for Buckley and Travis are akin to fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Might be tiresome to you but it's time many fans woke up and smell the coffee instead of swallowing the copious bullsh1t that, IMO, emanating from Ewood.

You can't sell a player unless he agrees to the move so how could Broughton have decided for himself that Brereton would be sold.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Broughton has singularly failed to successfully manage the second biggest and most pressing issue when he was appointed.  He has failed miserably.  New contracts for Buckley and Travis are akin to fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Might be tiresome to you but it's time many fans woke up and smell the coffee instead of swallowing the copious bullsh1t that, IMO, emanating from Ewood.

It's the owners who insist their valuation is met for Brererton.So again how is that Broughton's fault?

And funny how you mention new deals for Travis and Buckley but no mention of Phillips or A.Wharton or Jake Batty.

Weren't you blasting the club in the summer for letting a generational talent in Ash Phillips leave for Spurs?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

He'd been in the building like 3 weeks - he simply doesn't have the credit in the bank right now with the owners to get them to budge from their ridiculous £15m asking price.

I'm sure if he had free reign he'd have negotiated some of those £8m offers up a little and cashed in. 

You're asking him to perform miracles - he's already achieved a lot in 6 months and the signing of a promising CB and a proper backup GK this window (already) shows that there is succession planning. 

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

It's frustrating as a fan, I'll be the first to ask questions if we don't sign a CM and a striker this window. But we're currently an unsustainable business model and I'd rather not risk another league one relegation whilst gambling on promotion.

The bit in bold is exactly what we are doing, IMO, by taking on this 'project' and leaving it in the hands of Broughton. I genuinely think we are at risk of a relegation battle next season as things stand, unless some key additions are made either in this window or in the summer.

We've done enough this season to avoid the drop, but next season without BBD and with the lacklustre attacking options we currently have, I don't see us being as lucky. The squad is overrated and has shown numerous times this season that it doesn't have the stomach for a fight.

Signing up the likes of Travis and Bucko, A.Wharton, Batty etc isn't impressive from an on the field point of view, IMO. Play all of them next season and watch us go down, is my honest opinion. Off the field, it may seem impressive, as it will prevent players walking away for nothing and is seemingly a change from previous policy.

Bottom line for me is, we need real additions over these next two windows, or we are in danger of being in League One come August 2024.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He'd been in the building like 3 weeks - he simply doesn't have the credit in the bank right now with the owners to get them to budge from their ridiculous £15m asking price.

I'm sure if he had free reign he'd have negotiated some of those £8m offers up a little and cashed in. 

You're asking him to perform miracles - he's already achieved a lot in 6 months and the signing of a promising CB and a proper backup GK this window (already) shows that there is succession planning. 

Yeah, you think there would be some sympathy for the circumstances in the summer.

Broughton arrived in an empty building, no manager in place

Mowbray left with his crew, one was his assistant manager who had handled all the transfer under Mowbray. 

The recruitment team was decimated, and one of the analyst he hired died of a heart attack only 2 weeks later (A fit guy in his 30's on a hike), which Broughton had to deal with as well.

The actual transfer's done was Broughton, one of the recruitment guys and some help from Waggot. Not an ideal setup, which seems far improved now. 

The Brereton situation was tried solved with contract talks, but I very much believed the owners had a drawn a line on the transfer amount that was never met.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

BBD: I'm not leaving. Job done. 

You are going on the transfer list.  We will invite offers.  Should one be acceptable (and anything over £8million should have been) you either accept the move or rot in the 'ressies' until your contract is up.  What do you think Brereton would have done?

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If Broughton hasn't got the expertise and gravitas to deal with our owners then he shouldn't be in the feckin job.  He needed to sh1t or get off the pot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

You are going on the transfer list.  We will invite offers.  Should one be acceptable (and anything over £8million should have been) you either accept the move or rot in the 'ressies' until your contract is up.  What do you think Brereton would have done?

Laughed probably. It's not the 70s anymore. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If Broughton hasn't got the expertise and gravitas to deal with our owners then he shouldn't be in the feckin job.  He needed to sh1t or get off the pot.

Nobody has got Venkys to do anything they didn’t want to since a certain agency.

Time to judge Greg is in 2 years and we see whether the club is in a better state than it was when he came in. 

Edited by rover23
  • Like 8