BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

7 minutes ago, yankfan said:

That 2020-21 squad and wage bill is an underline on Mowbary lunacy 

Yet last seasons squad was the best we’ve had in years, but for meddling owners and a lack of ambition things could have been different.

Nothing improves until the owners sod off, it’s as simple as that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For all those moaning about BBD potentially going for nothing need to look at other clubs. In the post Bosman era we have seen numerous examples of players running down their contracts. 

The blame by many seems to be placed on the club - I have no idea what efforts the club have made to keep BBD - and I doubt nor does anyone on this MB. Can anyone categorically say that the club haven't made repeated offers to get him to sign a new contract - and that it isn't a deliberate ploy by his agent to run down his contract. The pre-contract links to foreign clubs started over 12 months ago - coincidence ?

Yes let's look at other clubs. Here's 3!

Brentford, Bournemouth and Brighton! 3 clubs which get it right!

And its not just Brereton is it? 3 left for free at the end of last season and we really stuffed up with Raya before that.

Take the blinkers off.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

When appointed, the resolution of Brereton's position should have been 2nd on his agenda following the appointment of a new manager.  After all, Brereton WAS the club's biggest asset.

The discussion with Brereton should have been short and sweet.  You either sign a new contract within days or we sell you immediately.  Job done.

IMO, Broughton has singularly failed to successfully manage the second biggest and most pressing issue when he was appointed.  He has failed miserably.  New contracts for Buckley and Travis were akin to fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Might be tiresome to you but it's time many fans woke up and smelt the coffee instead of swallowing the copious bullsh1t that, IMO, continually emanates from Ewood.

I am getting tired of this B.S. it’s not the 1970s and we can’t just sell a player who doesn’t want to be sold. 

If a player wants to run his contract down he can run his contract down - he can’t have a sale forced on him as a punishment. Can you wake up and smell the coffee please?

The only strategy a club could possibly take is to force a player to play in the reserves if they are choosing to run their contract down. That’s a different argument and absolutely filled with pitfalls and potential negative, if not disastrous, consequences. If you want the club to take that strategy then argue for it, but please stop pretending we can just sell players who don’t want to be sold. They’re not fucking slaves who are personally owned by the club, however much they may earn. They sign contracts and they pick and choose which ones to sign.

Ahh, coffee smells good!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 47er said:

And its not just Brereton is it? 3 left for free at the end of last season and we really stuffed up with Raya before that.

Take the blinkers off.

With Lenihan and Nyambi they offered new contracts well in advance of them leaving. With Rothwell it was a strategic decision not to sell - based on our league position. It was a gamble that didn't pay off - but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Also, if we had sold Rothwell to a rival - how many would have accused the owners of lacking ambition ?

Raya is an interesting one - we got £3m for a Championship keeper - plus (if rumours are correct) a sizeable sell on fee. Now it is rumoured he will leave Brentford for £20 - 25m - but we have to remember that is for a Premiership experienced goalkeeper. I struggle to think of a Championship keeper with no top flight experience going for that amount of money. Also - how many months did he have on his contract when we sold him, could we have ended up with another Diaz ? Also - did we need the money to balance the FFP books ?

But I think you miss my main point - nobody really knows what offers have been made to BBD's agent - and yet many blame the club. Unless of course you have some great insider knowledge.

In truth I am not defending the club - just pointing out that things aren't always as black and white as some seem to think - i.e. BBD goes on a free transfer is totally the fault of the club or the owners.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, 47er said:

Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/20/sales-stats-and-strategies-how-brighton-and-brentford-stay-one-step-ahead

Sales, stats and strategies: how Brighton and Brentford stay one step ahead

Good read, and I'm really pleased we've FINALLY got that structure in place. Let's hope it brings us success. I presume that's what we all want? 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

With Lenihan and Nyambi they offered new contracts well in advance of them leaving. With Rothwell it was a strategic decision not to sell - based on our league position. It was a gamble that didn't pay off - but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Also, if we had sold Rothwell to a rival - how many would have accused the owners of lacking ambition ?

Raya is an interesting one - we got £3m for a Championship keeper - plus (if rumours are correct) a sizeable sell on fee. Now it is rumoured he will leave Brentford for £20 - 25m - but we have to remember that is for a Premiership experienced goalkeeper. I struggle to think of a Championship keeper with no top flight experience going for that amount of money. Also - how many months did he have on his contract when we sold him, could we have ended up with another Diaz ? Also - did we need the money to balance the FFP books ?

But I think you miss my main point - nobody really knows what offers have been made to BBD's agent - and yet many blame the club. Unless of course you have some great insider knowledge.

In truth I am not defending the club - just pointing out that things aren't always as black and white as some seem to think - i.e. BBD goes on a free transfer is totally the fault of the club or the owners.

I don't want to go over old ground at length. My view is that we haven't handled this situation very well at all in recent seasons. Extensions to players contracts this season is encouraging and an implicit admission that things needed to change.

If you don't agree, fair enough.

23 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

If BBD was offered a new deal in early 2021 but he rejected it, fair enough.

But I wager one wasn’t on the table, as per SG last season he would in all likelihood have signed up at the stage. Of course, I don’t know that for certain as I am a mere non-ITK fan.

What’s done is done and let’s hope lessons have been learned from the last two years of half a team walking out the door for nowt, I sense they have and thank feck for that.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Now it is rumoured he will leave Brentford for £20 - 25m - but we have to remember that is for a Premiership experienced goalkeeper.

We always knew he would be though? Bad handling of the situation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Good read, and I'm really pleased we've FINALLY got that structure in place. Let's hope it brings us success. I presume that's what we all want? 

The club owners having a second club is an important part of the jigsaw.

Hirst and Undav club history and ownership and transfer/loan terms are enlightening.

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It would be easier to get a striker with even £5m over sole reliance on the free transfer market.

no guarantee with any signing regardless of the fee paid 

18 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Shaping up to be an awful window 

Time to judge this window isn't now

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Skint. Or all a ploy as @chaddyroverssuggested to make out we have less than we do.

if we were skint then we wouldn't be signing anyone would we? We made a cash bid for Porteous

12 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lewis O'Brien anyone?

He is part of Forest first team squad and playing in PL

12 hours ago, J*B said:

Heard tonight Rovers think Undav, Porteous and Haikan are all agreed and they’re ‘trying to get another’. 

Thanks for info Josh and I just hope we can make it happens now

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Take the blinkers off.

Mowbray made a complete balls up of the Raya situation. Then he followed it up by signing Walton.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Keeper now being followed by Dom Hyam on social media, guessing they aren't childhood friends and this deal is now completed.

Just the position we needed to fill as a priority with our first signing. Personally I'm really excited to see what he can offer in the League Cup next year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Keeper now being followed by Dom Hyam on social media, guessing they aren't childhood friends and this deal is now completed.

Probably right but apparently they did come through together at Reading.