BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

50 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That's pushing it. He did a decent if dull job, but the absolute best he could rank during just my time is 4th. Across the club's grand history, he's an afterthought. He shouldn't have been fired when he was, but I think he gets a bit too much credit on account of the total charlatan managers either side of him, Ince and Kean.

The credit from me is for keeping us safe in the PL and I like percentage football when played by competent players, which he had.

He also managed us in reduced financial times under the Walker family who failed to see what the PL was on course to become.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Kenny, Hughes and Souey didn’t want to be at Rovers long term either, that’s why they all bailed out.

To be fair , not many managers have longevity at one club ..Fergie is obvious exception.. Anytime above 5:years is unusual now..

2 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Jesus, this age old classic. It's a pathetic cop out for all Rovers fans that can't admit they were wrong.  Allardyce was the safest pair of hands in English football at the time, and the perfect manager for a small club entering a transitional period in its history, at a time when it was absolutely essential we kept our hand in the PL honey pot.  To sack him wasn't a ludicrous decision because it was part of a wider ploy by dark forces that had infiltrated the club.  The ludicrous part in actual fact was clowns like you, Gav and others who celebrated it. 

We're now 12 years and probably 12 managers down the line and still haven't had one that's even remotely in Allardyce's league, quite literally.

OMG well done Sir. Top post.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The credit from me is for keeping us safe in the PL and I like percentage football when played by competent players, which he had.

He also managed us in reduced financial times under the Walker family who failed to see what the PL was on course to become.

Again that only seems like a great achievement because of the loser managers we had before and after him. At the time we appointed Ince, merely surviving didn't seem like an achievement, I saw us as a steady mid-table side with the potential to push for Europe occasionally. That's what we had been. Ince made a right hash of it though, and suddenly survival became a main objective. He did well to get us out of the relegation zone, credit where it's due, but it wasn't a miraculous escape for a team who shouldn't have been in it in the first place. We had finished 7th the season before I think? Then the season after we finished 10th in his first full season. Yes, purse strings were getting a little tight, hence as I keep saying he did a good job, but really nothing special. I suspect he could have had us gradually grind a bit higher over time, as I do think he's a manager who can get results, but I really can't class him as one of our most successful.

Like many, my issue wasn't with the fact he was sacked, it was with the timing and the quality of the replacement. Any sensible new owners would have left it at least til the season's end to let Williams and Allardyce do their thing whilst they felt out the new business (and Williams for longer still), but we didn't have sensible new owners, we had arrogant idiots who were 'badly advised', and the rest is tragic history.

• Like 2

Don’t rise to the Chadsters fishing.
He just said Cameron Archer isn’t for him (7 in 20 for PNE in Championship last year) whilst he was gagging for Hirst to get more game time to show his quality for months (0 in 40 for Rotherham and Rovers in Championship)

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, superniko said:

Has he ever played in Germany? It’s the Belgian league isn’t it?

He played at tier 3 and 4 in Germany, scored at a good rate and got picked up by Union in Belgium and had a great season then on to Brighton for 6 million Euros. Bloom owns Brighton and Union.

Nice easy way to fund Union?

Hasn't done much at Brighton, sub appearances, just a few minutes, no goals.

On loan it would be a decent signing, he can score but it does remain to be seen if he can cut it at Championship level.

I hope it happens, even if it's just on the basis that he can't be worse than Hirst

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Shows how poor our window has been when we're reduced to talking about Allardyce again. I'm not sure how this romantic fairy tale about Lewandowski nearly joining us but for an ash cloud has gained so much traction, I seem to recall the player was suggested to the owners but the Walker Trust rejected the opportunity to go in for him at the asking price of £6m and there was another player whose name I can't recall available at a cheaper price, maybe around £4m but they rejected that as well.

Besides, if the only thing stopping the deal happening was an Ash cloud, why didn't we just sign him a week later?

All paints SA, JW and the Club in a better light though. "Identified a future superstar before he was famous but thwarted by a volcanic Ash cloud". Sounds a lot better than "Club failed to see the potential in future mega-star".

That doesn't sound too likely, as we signed Kalinic for 6 million not long later.

Why do your posts all have a shit-ton of spaces below them now? Took me half a minute to delete them from the quote.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

That doesn't sound too likely, as we signed Kalinic for 6 million not long later.

Christ, forgot all about Kalinic. 7 goals in 44 appearances for us. Shocking. Went on to have a terrific career.

Cant believe we haven’t signed someone yet but it’s just the cup at the weekend, so no real rush if they can wait, but we need 3 in I think.

I think someone might panic and stump up the cash for Brereton since he hasn’t signed yet, maybe West Ham or Leeds or Everton, and the longer it goes on the more chance this has of happeneing.
Get Undav in on a permanent, loan Gelhardt and O’Brien from forest.

I’d take Portoeus cause it will be a bit of a bargain if he fancies us instead of Watford.(Sure is closer to Edinburgh) 

Edited by Fraserkirky

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That could get very expensive for you if everyone takes you on. I'll take you up on it assuming you mean the FA Cup tie.

You’re the only one that has so far - we have a deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

On the technical side, any suggestions? When I try to quote anyone it also automatically highlights the quoted bit leaving me unable to type anything.

I assume you're aware you're also leaving an acre of space under your posts?

For both problems, maybe using a different browser will help you. Though normally when everything is highlighted you can just click (or tap) pretty much anywhere and it clears. If that isn't working I'd really try a different web browser.

33 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I assume you're aware you're also leaving an acre of space under your posts?

For both problems, maybe using a different browser will help you. Though normally when everything is highlighted you can just click (or tap) pretty much anywhere and it clears. If that isn't working I'd really try a different web browser.

Well aware thanks, and I can only apologise to everyone. Same thing happened to me a while back and lasted for ages before righting itself for no apparent reason before eventually coming back.

Was logging in using Samsung Internet and have changed to Google Chrome. Seems to have worked for this post.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 4

If I would pick a player from Malmoe if would be Danish midfelder Anders Christiansen. He would be a very good player for us in midfeld with all our youngsters.... steady and combative midfelder as Jo Inge Berget...

Another hotshot is 20 year old Oscar Uddenas...11 goals last season for Swedish Champions Hacken

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

From being so close to signing Lewandowski to struggling to loan out Pears. 

12 years of venkys for you.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We can always rely on Big Sam to liven up any thread in danger of dying of boredom and where the current topic is "can we pull off the loan out of Pears"

That is where we are at.

• Like 4