BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah whats weird is there are a lot of alternatives to Morton, four or five in the squad but he starts every week despite being very average for a long time (last time he was consistently good was back in October/early November I think) and recently turning into a bit of a liability.  

Agree thats no different to quite a few others. Difference is he has started 27 of 28 games I think. We know its feasible for loaning clubs to put stipulations in. Seems it must be happening to me.

Basically this. He's the only player that hasn't been punished with a spell out of the side for his poor play (albeit Kaminski is teetering on the edge of that now).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I actually think Morton would start for most teams in this division, and don't think that overall he is as bad as is being made out.

Besides, we've tried the experienced route before with the likes of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Goodwillie, Guthrie, Wes Brown, Stokes, even Johnson himself) but they've hardly worked out as hoped, so if you're looking at a season-long bridge why not try someone fresh, young, with good pedigree who has something to prove to his parent club?

And if it was Wharton who had been making the mistakes Morton has, he'd hardly be getting an easier ride for it from the critics. Look at the criticism Vale is getting for example; if wharton comes into the team too soon & performs like Morton he'd be crucified on here and would hardly be greeted with, "at least he's one of our own". What would that do for his development??

Money is undoubtedly part of the reason behind it Morton over Choudary / Hendrick etc,, but Broughton has hardly been quiet about those limitations since he arrived has he?

I completely disagree on your first point, and particularly on recent form. I’m not even talking about the glaring mistakes, his general play has been very poor for a while, and in certain games (Rotherham being a very recent example) he has been disgraceful. I think he’s had more games where he’s stood out as being poor than good.

Very harsh to lump Johnson in with that lot. We got a couple of good years out of him. For every Goodwillie there is a Graham, Best a Downing, Stokes a Conway, Brown an Ayala, and plenty in between.

Vale has a lot less good will than Wharton and hasn’t contributed to the same degree when he has had a chance, he’s also 4 years further on. I don’t think Wharton would make as many costly errors as Morton, but he has a poor game and he’s right back down the pecking order despite having shown more ability to control a game than any other option we have on occasion. I think Travis has a right to feel a bit aggrieved - he was rightly dropped for his poor performances, but a loanee retains his place when he’s becoming a liability. He’ll certainly think he deserves his chance again.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, yeti-dog said:

Always nice to see a bit of balance.

Morton is clearly the current whipping boy when plenty of others in the team have regressed somewhat. Morton will have a good career but admittedly requires further development in decision making and physicality. 

Anyone suggesting he's League one standard at best I think will ultimately be proved wrong.

He’s only ‘the whipping boy’ as he’s been playing shite. It stands to reason that fans will observe that and pass comment, to be fair….

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

He's only declined since the world cup no?

his distribution is absolutely shocking nowadays. he was pretty decent when he first came here, i remember it was a breath of fresh air after raya. i'm sure he used to play outside of the box a lot more than he does now as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Is there any rumours at all? A sniff of one ha

We are getting a striker better than Obafemi who is also a nice person.

Allegedly.

Personally I doubt they could recruit a whore in a whorehouse who gives it on a free.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

But there are big flaws in Broughton’s logic here. Bridging the gap by replacing experienced Championship midfielders with a player with a couple of token premier league appearances and the odd second string cup game seems pretty pointless to me. Morton may well be one year further in in his development than Garrett or Wharton, but that one year is pretty insignificant when they are all miles behind Rothwell, and that 12 months of odd cameos and bench warming isn’t going to replace the experience of a Bradley Johnson.

If we’d loaned Isaac Hayden, Hamza Choudhury, Jeff Hendrick, or even Callum Styles - like other teams in the Chanpionship have - the argument of short term experience works. There are loads of Tyler Morton’s (20 year old loanees with very little first team exposure) littered throughout the Championship, but very few are as integral to their parent teams plans. Compared to Hannibal at Birmingham - who played in the World Cup and is undeniably further along in his development - Morton is used far more often. Of course, 20 year olds are the cheaper option, which will no doubt have been more of a factor than all the stuff Broughton came out with in that podcast.

Any loan should be a short term fix, and loaning a 27 year old to play week in and week out rather than Morton and giving him 90 minutes most games would not block a pathway any more or less. This loan is benefitting Liverpool and Tyler Morton far more than it is Blackburn Rovers. He doesn’t deserve to be in the team on current form, and I couldn’t give a toss about his development. Might as well let our own players accelerate their development and learn from their mistakes.

I can understand your points but given our wage budget signing a player like Hayden would have cost around 1 million pounds plus in wages which that money got us Brittain permanent here. 

Also didn't we pick signing Morton over Styles in the summer to be our midfield signing 

I do think Morton was poor yesterday and should have been sub yesterday but I don't believe that we have any sort of agreement that he must play regardless of form or performances

47 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I actually think Morton would start for most teams in this division, and don't think that overall he is as bad as is being made out.

Besides, we've tried the experienced route before with the likes of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Goodwillie, Guthrie, Wes Brown, Stokes, even Johnson himself) but they've hardly worked out as hoped, so if you're looking at a season-long bridge why not try someone fresh, young, with good pedigree who has something to prove to his parent club?

And if it was Wharton who had been making the mistakes Morton has, he'd hardly be getting an easier ride for it from the critics. Look at the criticism Vale is getting for example; if wharton comes into the team too soon & performs like Morton he'd be crucified on here and would hardly be greeted with, "at least he's one of our own". What would that do for his development??

Money is undoubtedly part of the reason behind it Morton over Choudary / Hendrick etc,, but Broughton has hardly been quiet about those limitations since he arrived has he?

Agree with your points. 

Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson have been very open and honest what the plan is for the now and future plus on budget aswell. We have the same wage budget as last season

15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think what's really worrying is how much Kaminski has declined since signing for us.

Has he been Bensoned? 

Why blamed the GK coach instead of Kaminski actually taking the blame for his poor form, over confidence and far too many mistakes? 

51 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah whats weird is there are a lot of alternatives to Morton, four or five in the squad but he starts every week despite being very average for a long time (last time he was consistently good was back in October/early November I think) and recently turning into a bit of a liability.  

Agree thats no different to quite a few others. Difference is he has started 27 of 28 games I think. We know its feasible for loaning clubs to put stipulations in. Seems it must be happening to me.

Perhaps he just needs a rest and of course being taken out of a team when not hitting the levels you might be capable of is all part of the learning curve for a young player. Said it before and 100% stand by it that if he was ours he'd have been hooked before now and would be rotated like the others.

The fact he starts ever single game good or bad pretty much points to something contractual - which isn't some tinfoil debate shutting nonsense but something which is quite standard on some loans. ie guarantee a certain number of games and get a bigger deduction on what you pay.

Thing is despite being signed to bridge a gap he could be said to be halting the progress now of some of ours they are gaining nothing sat on the bench fighting over one spot when fit.  Besides that is it coincidence that everyone who's lined up next to me him this season has tended to struggle.

Or maybe Tomasson isn't the big decision maker he tries to make himself out to be because for most it would've been an easy one to leave Morton out some weeks and try something different. Then again if he did and it worked he'd find it hard to stick him back in therefore upsetting his parent club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

morton was built up like another harvey elliot when he signed,it`s  turning out he`s not very good,thats why there are barbed comments,i don`t think he`s that much better than garrett or adam wharton,given the fact he`s supposed to be ahead of them in development it`s not acceptable,he`s not our player and he`s stopping the two of our players from gaining experience

Who built his up to be another Harvey Elliott tho? 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Big call 

I think we won’t.

Hope to be wrong and your optimism is well placed for once rather than blind naivety!

I think we will sign a good striker and someone who will fit the type of signing we need. 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Rovers signing better than a team that have already pretty much gained promotion halfway through the season? 

Am I missing something 😂

Some people don't rated him as highly as you do as I think you were very keen on signing him last summer and we spent weeks chasing him for him to say no

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Perhaps he just needs a rest and of course being taken out of a team when not hitting the levels you might be capable of is all part of the learning curve for a young player. Said it before and 100% stand by it that if he was ours he'd have been hooked before now and would be rotated like the others.

The fact he starts ever single game good or bad pretty much points to something contractual - which isn't some tinfoil debate shutting nonsense but something which is quite standard on some loans. ie guarantee a certain number of games and get a bigger deduction on what you pay.

Thing is despite being signed to bridge a gap he could be said to be halting the progress now of some of ours they are gaining nothing sat on the bench fighting over one spot when fit.  Besides that is it coincidence that everyone who's lined up next to me him this season has tended to struggle.

Or maybe Tomasson isn't the big decision maker he tries to make himself out to be because for most it would've been an easy one to leave Morton out some weeks and try something different. Then again if he did and it worked he'd find it hard to stick him back in therefore upsetting his parent club.

If you saw that pass he made for their first goal in an Under -15’s game you’d be shocked. From safety out on the wing straight into the danger area in front of the D. Mad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, unsall said:

Believe striker coming over from France, medical tomorrow.

Here are few possible

Ike Ugbo then 

Iké Ugbo - Player profile 22/23 | Transfermarkt

Josh Maja 

Josh Maja - Player profile 22/23 | Transfermarkt

Jean-Philippe Krasso

Jean-Philippe Krasso - Player profile 22/23 | Transfermarkt

Maja and Krasso I believe out of contract in the summer. I would have suggested Rhys Healey from Toulouse but he is out injured 

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I can understand your points but given our wage budget signing a player like Hayden would have cost around 1 million pounds plus in wages which that money got us Brittain permanent here. 

Also didn't we pick signing Morton over Styles in the summer to be our midfield signing 

I do think Morton was poor yesterday and should have been sub yesterday but I don't believe that we have any sort of agreement that he must play regardless of form or performances

Agree with your points. 

Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson have been very open and honest what the plan is for the now and future plus on budget aswell. We have the same wage budget as last season

Why blamed the GK coach instead of Kaminski actually taking the blame for his poor form, over confidence and far too many mistakes? 

With loans, it seemingly is common place that teams who do not play loanees are financially penalised should they not play a certain amount of minutes.

That was reported with the Gelhardt deal as a key matter in him eventually going to Sunderland.

Why do you seem so sure that Rovers couldn't possibly be under similar penalties should Morton not play? He plays basically every game regardless of form when his partner is regularly altered.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Inferi said:

By that logic, Lewis Travis is 5 years ahead of Morton in development. Morton has been a poor signing, and maybe Broughton should accept that like he did when he decided to let the "number one striker target" Hirst leave this window. It's quite reasonable to assume that Morton is the first name on the teamsheet to avoid financial penalties, but I guess it could just be due to poor judgement from JDT. 

I don't think hes been a poor signing although we don't know the terms.

He's just doing what young players do and being inconsistent the issue here lies with those picking the side. He is being afforded the time most others wouldn't and it's wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don’t know if our interest was anything more than rumours, but if we did, it doesn’t mean it was a wise decision.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He’s only ‘the whipping boy’ as he’s been playing shite. It stands to reason that fans will observe that and pass comment, to be fair….

I don't think he lacks ability and potential..... It's more that unlike our own 'home grown' players Morton doesn't get dropped when he is contiunely playing below his best

• Like 1