BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We literally need a CF - there's no "well we tried, but couldn't get who we wanted in" response to that. We'll finish outside the Playoffs if we don't get someone at #9 who can score goals and bring others into play. 

It doesn't feel like an answer to the question though? I wasn't asking what we wanted to do this window.. I think the club will be disappointed themselves.

Just now, frosty said:

Our wage bill must be a lot smaller now than it was say two or three years ago - we had players like Holtby, Downing, Evans, Johnson, Armstrong, Lenihan, Mulgrew then that would have all been on a decent wage. But they've in the main been replaced by players like Buckley, Carter, the two Whartons, Brereton etc stepping up plus a couple of penny pinching loans each season. 

How small can the wage bill actually get??? 

It would help if we stopped wasting ridiculous wages on dross loans from PL teams. I can count on one hand how many of them have actually been worth the outlay in the last 5 years.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, frosty said:

How small can the wage bill actually get??? 

Needs to be at 70% of turnover long term to comply with new rules by (I think) 2025. We've got a better chance at doing it because of our academy. A lot of points deductions and punishments to come for plenty of clubs who gamble and don't win.

Just now, JoeH said:

It doesn't feel like an answer to the question though? I wasn't asking what we wanted to do this window.. I think the club will be disappointed themselves.

You're literally playing out the string if you don't bring in a CF.

That's not disappointing, that's criminal. JDT will walk in the summer - he's no doubt got his agent feeling out other jobs as we speak. Broughton will be on the lookout too if there are any more budget cuts in the works - he's far too ambitious to try and work with those shoestring budgets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some very insane and over the top reaction again from the same people blaming Rovers for them when again the club we agreed a deal with has withdrawn from it when he was set to come here on loan. Its the second time it happened now but Rovers or GB aren't to blame here again but the club we are negotiating with. Lorient are selling another forward so he stays. 

I am still think we will make minimal of 2 signings before the deadline

Sorry Chaddy, you can spin this whichever you want. Fact of the matter is this, the board and owners are incompetent, and they are very much to blame for this. 

This is now the 2nd season, where we have a chance of achieving the playoffs, whether its realistic or not, is besides the point. The club is in position, and with that, you find ways to cement that place, before other clubs in a similar position jumps ahead of us.. 

This squad is weak, this club isnt a top 6 club as things stand, so what do you do about it? You go out there, and find some players that will give you a chance, instead of just rolling over, and giving up. We as Rovers fans have become so use to mediocrity, that its no wonder the club is happy to do as they please on and off the pitch, because our expectations are low. 

As a football player myself for years and years, as a youngster right through to senior football, albeit at an amateur level, we never allowed our weakness to show against anybody, because we knew that would be our downfall. We competed hard, and at the end of the day, we left happy. 

I know this is a long post, but i really dont care if we are a small town club. But im pretty sure Uncle Jack never had this mentality, that we are just a small town club, making up numbers.. John Williams didn't sit back as chairman, and allowed his managers to go and compete with mediorce players. 

Mark Hughes didnt have the mentality that a bigger club would just come and roll us over, no, his players went out there and competed and fought for the shirt. 

What im saying here is this, yes we are no longer a PL club, but ill be damned if i have to watch some of these fairies play football, who cant make simple passes, who cannot win a header, or bleed for the club. The ambition of the club should always be PL football, if not, then sell the club and go home..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Needs to be at 70% of turnover long term to comply with new rules by (I think) 2025. We've got a better chance at doing it because of our academy. A lot of points deductions and punishments to come for plenty of clubs who gamble and don't win.

Football will be dead in England by 2030 - the fans of those lower down the pyramid won't put up with it. EVERY new rule is designed to keep the status quo.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, phili said:

Ok I will pop it back to you.

All the funds they have is £10k a week from the release of Hirst to bring in the players that's it this month. No additional funds from Venky's. 

The recruitment team and GB must also knock a £100k a week of next season's players budget, so no new deals for Ayala and Dack I would expect.

So how would you pull the rabbits out of these hats you expect all these amazing players to come from within our budget.

He’d do fuck all, is the answer!! 🤣

But, he would be sure to tell us he’d “been around the block” whilst insinuate that he was some big shot with pals in “all the right places” and that everyone should just “man up”….

Sound about right? 

• Like 4

The new rules dictate that the 'squad cost ratio' should be at 70% and there's also stuff in there limiting the amount of years you can spread instalment payments over. FFP is being changed to FSR - Financial Sustainability Regulations. There's a new 'No Overpayment Rule' where clubs' accounts will be checked every quarter to make sure all bills are being paid on time, rather than just assessed every financial year when clubs release their accounts with fiddly work having been done.

There is going to be a cap on agents fees at >5% of the transfer fee in total, which is going to radically change that side of the industry. UEFA has the right to deduct points from teams under the new rules also. 

For wages to turnover rule change, in 2023/24 the cap will be 90 per cent, in 2024/25 it will be 80 per cent and from 2025/26 it will be 70 per cent. For reference, in 2019/20 Blackburn Rovers' wage to turnover was 200%...

So the reason the wage budget has to keep coming down is to make sure that we're compliant. MANY Championship clubs will not be.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely JDT will be off in the summer if true. How on earth could he/we compete?

By raising season ticket prices? 

(This is a joke Steve)

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Wouldn't be a surprise. I'm sure this farce isn't the sales pitch he was given when he joined the club

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Probably a tad more than you given I've done consultancy work at 3 football league clubs (2 in England and 1 in Scotland).

Woah, OK that's me told - bet you loved rolling that out.

Still doesn't make a jot of difference - so, what do you know?
Doesn't matter who you are unless you're in there working for the recruitment team. It's all speculation. If we don't sign anyone, then yes be worried.

Anyway it's all pointless, for the sake of declaring who we all are I'm actually a cocooned fly that's been wrapped in a web in the top corner in one of the Brockhall offices, my captor, the spider, has since died. Due to Venky's mismanagement and therefore cutbacks on the cleaning budget, I've been left here for years. During that time I've evolved sentience from the snippets of football talk I've overheard, and without an outlet to pour out my new found knowledge I have joined the forum out of sheer boredom (lockdown was hard, even for half-dead flies). From my vantage point I can just about make out the recruitment "geeks" at their computers talking ball retention stats, but there's a water cooler in the way. But anyway, I'm just a smashed up fly and I still don't understand, so I won't make a judgement. But it's much better being up here than when that barrel chested chap Wencoyle worked here, bastard tried to prise me off the wall with his many wooden used Feast lolly sticks, stuck together with what's left of Anthony Stokes's sock tape, dark times, tried to stop me learning his secrets he did etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc  

Anyway, "why aren't we all over Dembele - it's a joke lads" etc etc. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The new rules dictate that the 'squad cost ratio' should be at 70% and there's also stuff in there limiting the amount of years you can spread instalment payments over. FFP is being changed to FSR - Financial Sustainability Regulations. There's a new 'No Overpayment Rule' where clubs' accounts will be checked every quarter to make sure all bills are being paid on time, rather than just assessed every financial year when clubs release their accounts with fiddly work having been done.

There is going to be a cap on agents fees at >5% of the transfer fee in total, which is going to radically change that side of the industry. UEFA has the right to deduct points from teams under the new rules also. 

For wages to turnover rule change, in 2023/24 the cap will be 90 per cent, in 2024/25 it will be 80 per cent and from 2025/26 it will be 70 per cent. For reference, in 2019/20 Blackburn Rovers' wage to turnover was 200%...

So the reason the wage budget has to keep coming down is to make sure that we're compliant. MANY Championship clubs will not be.

602185682_Screenshot2023-01-30at15_00_59.thumb.png.6fd640cf142e3d247dfc0ffb8674a18b.png

For reference, this is the latest income table I can get for the Championship. It shows you where we sit. There are a lot of teams who spend way over 70% of their income on wages.

18 minutes ago, phili said:

From a friend inside the club, might not be accurate but says all plans changed after meetings with Venky's in December to cost reductions.

It makes little sense, they have a chance to really give it a go with the prospect of future potential upside. Without play offs and a promotion chance and a seemingly unfettered determination to hold on to their ‘baby’, they are just locking themselves into perpetual, and deteriorating cash drain with no upside.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The common denominator regarding repeated occasions on which stuff like this happens is Venkys, make no mistake. Tomasson, Broughton, Mowbray, Waggott and so on, change them around and deals still fall through. Working on a pittance because the owners dont want to sell players prior to their contracts expiration, asking to beg, steal and borrow, throw in the likely delays to India and this is what you got.

How can anyone be blame at Rovers when 2 clubs have backtracked out of deals which we had agreed? 

@chaddyrovers you have stormed in as you usually do calling out people for being "negative." You seem to have assumed that we WILL get a striker as one of 2 signings. If we don't get them, at that point will you question Broughton and the recruitment team?

My prediction is no signings.

Firstly, I didn't stormed in but called out what it was. No surprise you don't see that way

No I won't questioned Broughton or the recruitment team at all. Firstly, Its Broughton to get transfers done whilst the recruitment team job is to find signings and present shortlists to our head of recruitment Williams and DoF Broughton. The recruitment team isn't responsible for negotiating transfers and contracts. That is Broughton and Waggott job. 

When you look back and see that 2 clubs who Rovers have agreed deals have back out from the transfers. Is that anyone fault at Rovers? 

Also we don't know the full story behind transfers and why some don't happen after everything is agreed. 

There are a lot of people online staunchly defending Broughton on the basis that it is down to Lorient and it is out of his control.

I am sorry but that is bollocks. The individual deal may not be down to him but he will have overseen the decision to focus on that deal regardless of how close it gets to the end of the window. If you put all of your eggs in one basket, you have to get that deal over the line.

Like I said prior, my blame certainly doesn't solely lie with Broughton should we end up with no new striker as expected, I can't look past the fact that this sort of shit always happens under Venkys. But he certainly takes a huge share of it.

You don't just focus on one deal but you will have a number of transfers discussions on going at the same time. 

The Kone transfer blame should be on Lorient and no one at Rovers should be blame. 

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Probably a tad more than you given I've done consultancy work at 3 football league clubs (2 in England and 1 in Scotland).

That consultancy work but no involve in Football transfers and contracts negotiations tho. You only have to watched Sky Documentary on Football transfer window in the summer 2022 to see how complex transfers are. 

25 minutes ago, lraC said:

Curry was red hot in Liverpool's reserves, who were a good side back in the day. I remember seeing him pepper the opponents goal in one game and he was such an exciting talent, his nan followed him all over the country.

I remember when we signed him, I thought, if he chips in with a few goals, his transfer fee will look cool and had he found his scoring boots, his stock would have eventually risen. 

His biggest problem was he was a chicken.

Pat Rice sorted him out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

JDT came here cos of the project Rovers wanted to do and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

exactly Joe. These new rules have been mentioned on here before. 

Rovers wage bill need to right to not meet any more transfer bans or embargos. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Do you hold your hands up and say we didn't get who we wanted, or do you just sign whoever to keep people happy and hope it works? That's the big question now with 33 ish hours to go.

Call it a day. Don't sign rubbish just for the sake of it.

Most know where the real blame lies, in Pune

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Surely he knew that when he signed up to the 'lovely project'?

The project doesn't rely on the coach (who can be replaced). In theory at least. I like JDT but feel he's just as naive as Tony was with his possession-oriented football that involved almost no penetrating passes. We simply don't have the players for it, from our GK and onwards. 

• Like 1

Just now, Torgeir said:

The project doesn't rely on the coach (who can be replaced). In theory at least. I like JDT but feel he's just as naive as Tony was with his possession-oriented football that involved almost no penetrating passes. We simply don't have the players for it, from our GK and onwards. 

The point was the coach would have known the financial position when he signed up. Well, hopefully. 

• Like 1