BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

6 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I can, kind of understand it IF there is a longer term plan at work here BUT it shouldn't be understated how good an opportunity we have this season to make the play offs and when these opportunities come around, you've surely got to make the most of it.

In addition to that, you look at the bottom 8 clubs in the premier league at present: Forest, Leicester, Leeds, West Ham, Wolves, Bournemouth, Everton and Southampton, 3 of those coming down next season will all be going back up again, which makes an assault on promotion next season almost impossible.

I see little evidence of a longer term plan, despite the claims of those at the Club. Come the summer we lose mainstays of the team this year in Ayala, Brereton Diaz and Morton. The Dack situation will need resolving one way or another. I also think there's a decent chance 3-4 other regulars will be looking to move elsewhere either because they are fed up here or because they know they can get better deals elsewhere. I'd expect interest in Kaminski.

Before you know it half the team needs rebuilding again. So it is back to square one. The only potential consolation being that Phillips, A Wharton and a few others will be another year along with their development so might be better placed to fill that gap.

This season and last we have gone into January and the second half of the season comfortably on track to get into the play-offs in terms of point returns, and we won't 'achieve' it either way, in part because the Club has failed to recruit.

The sad thing is that you'd hope lessons would be learned or that the owners would discover how close we have been these last 2 years and change their approach. Sadly I doubt they will know, at best it will be a cursory review in May as to where we finished before setting another similar budget again next year, right after Waggott has told them how well he has done on ST revenues.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Rich Sharpe on whether there's any money in the pot ...

Screenshot_20230131-085247.png

A club bereft of ambition.

It's absolutely hopeless.

Said time and time again, we need hungry management fired with burning ambition and a can do attitude.

All this 'journey' and 'project' nonsense is, IMO, an absolute crock of sh1te which the 'happy clappers' will naively swallow.  IMO, JDT and Broughton have shown their true colours - they are not up to the job..  I think it's an absolute disgrace and an insult to the fans and their intelligence.  Increasingly more and more will vote with their feet. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BigBar said:

Have to say that if we are to accept that this year is about bedding in, getting used to the system and not expecting promotion then I would have Adam Wharton start every game regardless of form. Give him a proper crack of the whip and let's see if is what we think he is. A full season in the championship at 18 is invaluable. If it's going to be a period of transition then make it worth while. This dampening of expectations whilst in a playoff position is absolutely absurd.

Agreed. If the idea is to give our young players a chance to progress and develop then I can support that but, in that case, why the hell is Morton still at the club? Send him back, give Wharton game time, play Markanday (when fit) ahead of BBD, prepare for next season.

Or else strengthen CM with some experience, bring in a real striker, and show we actually believe the play-offs are a possibility. At the moment, we are doing neither. Drifting/withering.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I see little evidence of a longer term plan, despite the claims of those at the Club. Come the summer we lose mainstays of the team this year in Ayala, Brereton Diaz and Morton. The Dack situation will need resolving one way or another. I also think there's a decent chance 3-4 other regulars will be looking to move elsewhere either because they are fed up here or because they know they can get better deals elsewhere. I'd expect interest in Kaminski.

Before you know it half the team needs rebuilding again. So it is back to square one. The only potential consolation being that Phillips, A Wharton and a few others will be another year along with their development so might be better placed to fill that gap.

This season and last we have gone into January and the second half of the season comfortably on track to get into the play-offs in terms of point returns, and we won't 'achieve' it either way, in part because the Club has failed to recruit.

The sad thing is that you'd hope lessons would be learned or that the owners would discover how close we have been these last 2 years and change their approach. Sadly I doubt they will know, at best it will be a cursory review in May as to where we finished before setting another similar budget again next year, right after Waggott has told them how well he has done on ST revenues.

I'm not saying there is a longer term plan, just that I could possibly understand the stance about not focusing on the play offs if there was but I think if you find yourself in a position where you have a good chance of making the play offs come the end of the season, you have to shift the thinking somewhat. It's a chance we might not get again for some time and the rewards are obvious. As I said above the clubs being relegated at the end of the season make promotion borderline impossible next season.

But yeah your post, as usual, is spot on.

• Like 1

For me dack was at his best playing off graham. Unfortunately Gallagher just isn't good enough despite his size and age. A big commanding striker needed to hold up the ball. We always struggle getting further up the pitch and breaking out. Other than Diaz who runs but just isn't at it at the minute. We're also desperate for a shit house midfielder who will put a shift in. Fingers crossed for a busy day but I'm thinking already I'm doing to be disappointed.

If we have no ambition to be in the play offs. Would we not have been safer sell BBD and Rothwell and have money to reinvest. I can’t see how the summer will be any better apart from needing to sell Dack or TK. 
I also can’t understand they lack of movement for a midfielder. None of them a playing well. When Wharton is back from injury he should start. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Rich Sharpe on whether there's any money in the pot ...

Screenshot_20230131-085247.png

I’d love to know how much “not cheap” is. If we are paying significant fees to borrow players it’s another thing making a mockery of the “project”.

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Blackburn rovers is a retirement home for the has-beens and the never-was

More of a crèche these days. Get them ready for "big school" then watch them walk out the door when they start to become any way useful and competent. Great system 👍

• Like 2

"We are on earth do we bother" is a good question

We're thinking of going to the cup replay tonight but we should we bother really when the club says it's not that bothered about making the play-offs and presumably feels the same way about the FA Cup too

You keep going out of habit and because you love the club and the game and the excitement it sometimes brings but "bothering" is getting harder as the years go by

Clubs that can't be bothered also don't plan for transfer windows and usually end up scrambling around at the 11th hour trying to bring in players they didn't really want just to appease supporters desperate for "signings"

Why do we bother getting upset by all this? Increasingly it doesn't make any sense so in the end people give up and walk away 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Nicko saying Lewis O'Brien?

Goodness me, what a signing he would be. I'd take just him if offered, one of the best players in the Championship for the past few seasons, middle of the park depth.

Come on Rovers.....make it happen!!

Haven't west brom be quoted 10mil buy option for him? 

I highly doubt we are in the race for him, although sorba could get in his ear, they both played very well together didn't they